• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Cyberpunk multiplayer in the same vein as GTAO, yesh?

pai-mei-kill-bill-im-waiting-gif-13608076.gif
pls pls pls if cdpr can knock GTAO off it's ass then that would be great.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Who exactly wants Cyberpunk multiplayer? Or wait, is it going to be some kind of MMO? Hard to believe they would just be developing Cyberpunk TDM and and Battle Royale

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Chasing that Doug Houser style huh?

Well...good luck, it took GTAO a WHILE before it stopped being a shit show and started printing money.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
honestly...they are stock oriented, what did people expect?

To be honest, I did not expect this. It's not that surprising hearing it, but they aren't a studio known for multiplayer.

It's extra weird considering cyberpunk's combat is somewhat unproven at this state.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
To be honest, I did not expect this. It's not that surprising hearing it, but they aren't a studio known for multiplayer.

It's extra weird considering cyberpunk's combat is somewhat unproven at this state.

they´ve announced the possibility of multiplayer long ago, they have stocks, they are commercial as Ubisoft and want a large audience as possible...Witcher 3 showed them what it is possible on todays market.

everyone who knows whats up expected this delay. they want the big money and it is offputting. all these news are for stockholders and not for players

uhm..yes. that is the whole problem about gaming these days.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Not sure how they plan to release a multiplayer-only AAA title in 2021.

With the rocky development of Cyberpunk, the people who've left the studio throughout the years, the stories about the labor conditions, and now with a plan to release a multiplayer-only title as their other AAA product, I do not feel that CD Projekt is in the best condition at the moment. But we will see.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
they´ve announced the possibility of multiplayer long ago, they have stocks, they are commercial as Ubisoft and want a large audience as possible...

everyone who knows whats up expected this delay. they want the big money and it is offputting. all these news are for stockholders and not for players

I don't get how this news indicates it's all about money. What changes on that front? How is not making money good news?

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Literally the last thing I want out of this studio...
I hope they get another AAA single player game out in the next 5 years, outside of this multiplayer mess.

Is it possible we ever get more Witcher anything or have they said it's not happening?

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
they´ve announced the possibility of multiplayer long ago, they have stocks, they are commercial as Ubisoft and want a large audience as possible...Witcher 3 showed them what it is possible on todays market.

its not a problem

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this sounds like something that's going to get axed sometime after the main game launches. I doubt this makes it out.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Have you heard of a game called Apex Legends?

Exactly my point. They're going to attempt to enter a highly competitve market already dominated by companies much bigger than themselves and it'll be a AAA product that will either have to be F2P to stay competitive or a premium one-time purchase that will make its chances of popularity much lower. Either way, a multiplayer-only FPS title in 2021 that has to bring back a AAA budget is not a very safe bet.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I don't get how this news indicates it's all about money. What changes on that front? How is not making money good news?

GTAO is INSANELY successful. Everyone would chase it if they had the resources and range that Rockstar does. It's not surprising that CDPR would go after it.

Have you heard of a game called Apex Legends?

I mean, Apex hasn't exactly had the rosiest road after release and that's a game made by a group that has a long pedigree of very good multiplayer games.

It's gonna be a tough road to hoe.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Exactly my point. They're going to attempt to enter a highly competitve market already dominated by companies much bigger than themselves and it'll be a AAA product that will either have to be F2P to stay competitive or a premium one-time purchase that will make its chances of popularity much lower. Either way, a multiplayer-only FPS title in 2021 that has to bring back a AAA budget is not a very safe bet.

Ah yes, of course. No, I'm inclined to agree here. Aside from that though I'm just not looking to CDPR for multiplayer experiences.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
This disappoint me more than the Cyberpunk delay. Maybe not Witcher 4, but I hoped for something else.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
GTAO is INSANELY successful. Everyone would chase it if they had the resources and range that Rockstar does. It's not surprising that CDPR would go after it.

Are you saying they won't be making the witcher 5 to make money. Or it'll be a labor of love because that's what some of y'all want out of them?

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't know what to expect, but I remember distinctly everyone going around confirming it wouldn't be something like this. Oh well. We'll see TW4 or whatever next gen.

boskee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
London
Yup, it was obvious that the second project is the multiplayer mode and I said as much last year. There were some optimistic people thinking it may be The Witcher, but that's not going to happen for few more years. Right now everyone's working on Cyberpunk.

KTroopA

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
a 2nd triple-A title being announced as the mutiplayer mode that should have gone in the main game.. lol way to hype yourselves and look lame as fuck on announcing the delay. Seriously this is beyond funny.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I guess it makes sense that the game they're making simultaneously shares a lot of elements with their main project.

Another Witcher would have been awesome but not realistic with a 2021 release date.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Are you saying they won't be making the witcher 5 to make money. Or it'll be a labor of love because that's what some of y'all want out of them?

I'm saying that if successful on the same level of it's peers, a cyberpunk online would be DRAMATICALLY more profitable and successful than the Witcher 4.

Like...insanely more profitable, like...they're not even in the same conversation.

Like INSANELY MORE PROFITABLE.

I'm not saying they're scrapping everything to go whole hog into this, but...yeah, it's not hard to see why they would put another single player game in a franchise that's well trodden on the backburner for something that has the possibility to print seemingly infinite money.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
as long as Desperados 3 and Streets of Rage 4 make it..i am fine.

it is all about money at this point

it is a big problem, gone are the days of people wanting to deliver a good game. it is about stocks, money and fame. and about reaching the lowest common determinator
devs still want to deliver good exceptional games and they do. They also want to have profit , this is how AAA industry works . If you really think CDPR devs making cyberpunk 2077 only thinking about stocks, fame and lowest common denominator . Then I dont know what to tell you, I just hope then you apply same mindset to ND, Kojima or any other acclaimed developer

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
The thing is...these days if you are into videogames...it is all too predictable. it is boring when you already know the delays, the sequels, the remasters and the next entry in the well running franchise. sequelitis is a thing

not only the gameplay but also the way to release, the upcoming releases, the playthrough of the favour of the month game...it gets stale

the magic has gone from videogames these days, there is no mystery about it anymore. people will kindly look back to Dark Souls in 2025, " that was crazy" because gaming is too predictable these days.

now excuse me while i go back playing Dodonpachi Daioujou..

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested in Cyberpunk multiplayer as long as it's a separate game. Way more than a possible Witcher 4. They probably should have messaged that better though before to set expectations better. It won't matter in the scheme of things in the end though.

The thing is...these days if you are into videogames...it is all too predicatable. it is boring when you already know the delays, the sequels, the remasters and the next entry in the well running franchise

not only the gameplay but also the way to release, the upco,ing releases, the playthrough of the favour of the month game...

the magic has gone from videogames these days, there is no mystery about it anymore. people will kindly look back to Dark Souls in 2025, " that was crazy" because gaming is too predictable these days.

now excuse me while i go back playing Dodonpachi Daioujou..
I do find some irony in this post given how often you crap on VR which is arguably where the most innovation and experimentation in video games is happening today with very little motive in profit given the current size of the user base.

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
sooo witcher 4 in 2027?
I'd like to have more adventures in that wonderful world!

May as well make it a PS6/Xbox Series Y launch title. Joking aside, I do want them to focus on Cyberpunk and maybe a sci-fi IP before Witcher 4. I'd like to see what Witcher 4 would look like with a huge gap (12 years - 2027 sounds about right).

Oct 29, 2017
a 2nd triple-A title being announced as the mutiplayer mode that should have gone in the main game.. lol way to hype yourselves and look lame as fuck on announcing the delay. Seriously this is beyond funny.

Lots of entitled ass people in here. Why should a huge single player game have a multipler mode at all?

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I like how some of you are already passing judgement on something you have no clue about.

"I have no idea what this game will actually be like at all, but I hate it!"

Oct 25, 2017
Okay.

Man, all the AAA WRPG devs turning to multiplayer. I understand why but it just makes me feel deflated every time. I want my games for loners lmao

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
May as well make it a PS6/Xbox Series Y launch title. Joking aside, I do want them to focus on Cyberpunk and maybe a sci-fi IP before Witcher 4. I'd like to see what Witcher 4 would look like with a huge gap (12 years - 2027 sounds about right).
I actually was serious with my answer. I figured that quality DLC and the multiplayer expansion Will occupy CDPR for 2021 and 2022 at least.
So maybe an announcement for the next Witcher game for E3 2022 and a release for 2026 or 7

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I'm saying that if successful on the same level of it's peers, a cyberpunk online would be DRAMATICALLY more profitable and successful than the Witcher 4.

Like...insanely more profitable, like...they're not even in the same conversation.

Like INSANELY MORE PROFITABLE.

I'm not saying they're scrapping everything to go whole hog into this, but...yeah, it's not hard to see why they would put another single player game in a franchise that's well trodden on the backburner for something that has the possibility to print seemingly infinite money.

It's just dumb how you phrase it as a cash grab instead of the studio wanting to make what they're making. The money comes..usually...after you make a sound project.

Nothing about the witcher says multiplayer. It's not surprising that a studio who is continuing to come into their own would want to try this in a world like cyberpunk.