• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I guess we had Control last year that was bumping up against the limits of what those machines can handle. Each gen has those games that just go a little further than the machine can deal with.
Shadow of the Colossus on PS2 at like 15fps is always one of the ones that I remember thinking (I wish they held this back another year for next gen) as is Far Cry 3 on PS3/360

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Here are some comparison shots:

Switch:

Deus-X-PS2.jpg

XBO/PS4:

779702-933049_20070214_002.jpg

PC/PS5/XSX|S:

960x0.jpg

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Is this finally going to be the current gen breakdown moment where we get a PS360 style 540p 25fps AAA release?

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
@ game journalists

Install the disc version on a launch Xbox One and play it unpatched. Do it. I need it.

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
It sounds like this game would be a fire hazard on my base PS4. It already screams in agony every time I play Red Dead.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I don't want them to cancel it because I wanna see it in action. The digital foundry video will be special!

Deleted member 50232

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I actually think we will get (dynamic):

Xbox one 720p 30fps
PS4 900p 30fps
Xbox one X 1440p 30fps
PS4 Pro 1080p 30fps

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
That is not a good look for CD Projekt when the game has still issues on the main target platforms just a few days before the launch.

It is a current gen game.

Also I have the feeling that the PC version will generate a lot of discussion.

Its going to be really demanding and NVIDIA probably will push hard to show their advantages. RTX, DLSS, etc.

The PC benchmarks for this game will be very interesting.

knight714

Oct 27, 2017
They should've cancelled the current gen versions but there's no way they can do that now after getting everyone to crunch like hell on it

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think that's what most of the thread assumed when they announced the delay.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
John is on the money here. But sales loss from over 100 million PS4 = Ouch
Indeed, it's why we rarely get these gut-busting big-budget games from anybody as a launch titles, especially when the game has mass-market appeal.
It's also why both this and last-gen we saw/see so many cross-gen games.

I guess the other thing is, that outside of the noisy internet bubble, do people care enough about performance do drop their old OG PS4/XBOX to go next-gen for one game?
The fact that so few people upgraded to the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X suggests: No.
So is cancelling the game for those people the right thing to do for them?

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
They aren't going to cancel current gen versions as the install base is far too big for that. It was always going to run like hot garbage on base XB1/PS4 and anyone who thought it wouldn't is deluded.

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So cut your fucking losses, release the game on time, cancel the old gen versions and give your employees a break? Wow, these dudes...

Already they shit the bed last time with the Witcher 3 (claiming the downgrade was due to consoles) and they do the same thing yet again. I guess the money's just too good to pass up for Xbox / PS4 but if it runs like a POS you aren't doing people who buy your game any favors...

Bloxx Chain

Mar 19, 2018
Isnt this bad project management? The average Joe on era could see this game would run like diarrhea on current gen. This shouldn't had been available for current gen from the jump unless the scaled down the scope of the project.

CDPR trying to play both sides and it biting the game in the ass rn...

Gassy_N0va

Oct 27, 2017
God this is actually hilarious. I'm super curious to see how this runs on base Xbox One and PS4 because I'm picturing the Witcher 3 on Switch

MCWyatt

Aug 7, 2018
Errybody over here talking about how shitty this game is going to run on current-gen, I can't wait to see this crush "next-gen" dreams with 30fps 1080p + long load times. Just erasing that 60fps 4k on consoles next gen dream.

MissCauthon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused on which version to get of this game. PC or PS5.

My PC is a i7700k, 16gb ram, SSD evo 970 and a Nvidia 2060 Super running on a 144hz ips 1440p monitor. Which one will run best my pc or the PS5 is what im wondering here.

Definetly not getting the base consoles version.

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
And leave behind a 150+ million install base? Non gonna happen.
They're going to make the bulk of their money from these machines. Not a good idea.
They would have to drop over 150+ million potential customers. Not going to happen until next gen has established a big enough footprint and sales slow down.
I'm sure CDPR is really excited to skip out on 100 million PS4s.
this is an extremely bad idea.

im getting this one next gen consoles like a year from now. Or I may just get it on my pc
Lol, y'all need to calm down. No need to answer the same thing 5 times.
Not my fault they made a current gen game that is apparantly not able to run properly on current gen.
They should have seen this coming a whole ago. Delay the game till 2021 and just make it full next gen.
They fucked up

Now they are going to release the game with a poor current gen version and a half baked next gen version in december. What's the point?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
If you've pre-ordered for current gen are you still pre-ordered? I'd personally be waiting for reviews first before buying. I don't think we've seen console footage so far.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

My PC is a i7700k, 16gb ram, SSD evo 970 and a Nvidia 2060 Super running on a 144hz ips 1440p monitor. Which one will run best my pc or the PS5 is what im wondering here.

PC all day. DLSS would help a lot. PS5 will just run an enhanced PS4 version.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Surprised at the amount of people saying to cancel the PS4 and Xbox One version....that would obviously never happen, the loss CDPR would make by doing that would be astronomical.

CTRON

Jul 16, 2020
Cross-gen makes for massive workloads, especially for games that are already pushing things to the limit.

Do we know for sure if it's really cross-gen at launch? As in, will there be a PS5 version to download or just the PS4 version running in backward compatibility mode utilizing game boost? If it's the latter, I doubt there's much workload involved w.r.t. the next-gen versions at launch.

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland

Definetly not getting the base consoles version.

I bought a 3080 for this game when they announced that PS5 won't get next-gen features day one.
PC is going to be the definitive experience for sure.

I'm sure the PS5 version will look good when the patch arrives, but who knows when it happens?

Oct 27, 2017
So 7 year old systems are making us all wait? Nice
If everyone just decided not to buy a PS4/Xbone, we wouldn't be in this situation.

To everyone trying to predict resolution and framerate, I think it's gonna struggle on everything up to a Xbox one x since they all have about the same CPU and that seems like the hardest part to scale back.