• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
The real solution to this problem for the entire industry is to use Nintendo's approach of... sitting on games.

You make your games, and release them on a delay. You don't even announce them until they're completely done.

The competitive landscape and rise of service games keeps that from happening on a wider scale, but Nintendo shows it can work.

It would solve so many problems. Mandatory crunch, budget allocations, sunk cost issues, some staffing issues, and a TON of marketing woes.

Never heard of this company, but i bet their games aren't very successful without a 2 year hype/marketing cycle and an obsession with pushing visual fidelity as far as possible.

Hows my aim?

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
So many responses on twitter to Jason's article are horrific.

I know this is old news and I shouldn't be surprised, but there's such a striking lack of empathy in the gaming community. It honestly makes me feel guilty for being as into games as I am. Such an awful group of people (not everyone, but far too many).

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
This is why they needed to stop announcing new release dates every time they delayed it. You just delay it until you're sure you have a date that you can hit without putting people through shitty crunch.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Who is he and what did he do? Some shit take on race/gender/lgbt+?
Honestly not fully aware, I've always seen discussion of him involving super serious analytical gaming talk, from what I know its just super bad takes like EVERYTIME he is brought up.
Someone else might be able to explain better

StarBot

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I hope the people who absolutely went ass blasted over naughty dog with TLOU2 have the exact same backlash to there precious CD project red

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
Gamers are complicit. We demand unbelievably high standards for games now.

I mean people shat on FF16(a very good looking game) because it doesn't like perfect CG movies.

If Cyber Punk looked any less good or was a buggy, CDPR will face endless abuse online.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Doesn't the quality of ones work as a result of fatigue ultimately pour into the results of your labor?

It is one thing to be proud of your work and happy to create something of artistic merit, but isn't it also true that being tired from an unhealthy work ethic also affect the quality of your work to suffer due to not being able to achieve your best results, especially from a physical and mental health standpoint?

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I really don't get the "delays don't help with crunch" talking point. They sure can if a genuine will is there at the top to make reduction of crunch a priority and the delay is long enough

Extreme example, but let's say they delay the game for two years, force all employees to take a month of paid vacation immediately, and then say that for the remaining 23 months of development, no one is allowed to ever work more than 40 hour weeks. Of course that would remove crunch

You can remove/reduce crunch but it's a tradeoff between studio profitability and quality of life of employees. What you're saying is that many studios are not willing to balance that tradeoff in favor of their employees

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The real solution to this problem for the entire industry is to use Nintendo's approach of... sitting on games.

You make your games, and release them on a delay. You don't even announce them until they're completely done.

The competitive landscape and rise of service games keeps that from happening on a wider scale, but Nintendo shows it can work.

It would solve so many problems. Mandatory crunch, budget allocations, sunk cost issues, some staffing issues, and a TON of marketing woes.

This doesn't really work unless you're a company as big as Nintendo with a steady income through evergreen titles, consoles and a new release every 2-3 months. CPDR is a publically listed company and I can't imagine their stakeholders would be too happy if all they heard for the past 5 years was "We're working on something, it's coming sometime. Please be excited".

Mandatory crunch when they had promised otherwise is obviously bad, but even if a company WANTS to do better for their employers it still (sadly) needs to play by the rules of capitalism. This means there's no such thing as infinite time or money.

There's a whole discussion to be had on whether games with the size and scope of TLOU 2/RDR 2/Cyberpunk are even sustainable and healthy for the industry. but that's for another thread.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Gamers are complicit. We demand unbelievably high standards for games now.

I mean people shat on FF16(a very good looking game) because it doesn't like perfect CG movies.

If Cyber Punk looked any less good or was a buggy, CDPR will face endless abuse online.
Yep. The same people who criticize crunch on one thread will be complaining about minor graphical downgrades a few weeks later. The culture is rotten and this incredible pressure on developers to push for the absolute best tech possible is bad for everyone.

Yeah it's impressive that the balls of a horse shrink when it's colder in Red Dead Redemption 2, but it couldn't matter less in the grand scheme of things. I wonder how many of these little things could be removed from the game without changing its quality even one bit while also making the development process much smoother for everyone involved.

magatsu124

May 11, 2018
6/7 weeks of crunch is totally different from months or even years that we've heard from other companies. Still saying no more mandatory crunch, then doing it anyway is a scumbag move.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't really work unless you're a company as big as Nintendo with a steady income through evergreen titles, consoles and a new release every 2-3 months. CPDR is a publically listed company and I can't imagine their stakeholders would be too happy if all they heard for the past 5 years was "We're working on something, it's coming sometime. Please be excited".

Mandatory crunch when they had promised otherwise is obviously bad, but even if a company WANTS to do better for their employers it still (sadly) needs to play by the rules of capitalism. This means there's no such thing as infinite time or money.

There's a whole discussion to be had on whether games with the size and scope of TLOU 2/RDR 2/Cyberpunk are even sustainable and healthy for the industry. but that's for another thread.
I certainly don't disagree with any of that, but some could argue a title like The Witcher 3, which enjoyed a huge resurgence last year when the Netflix show came out, provided plenty enough steady income to sustain them a while longer. That said, I completely agree that it's much harder when your portfolio entirely consists of a couple big games. Thankfully though, they'll get there over time, as I think we've entered a period in games where products don't become obsolete nearly as fast as they used to. Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk will be worthwhile products for much longer than, say, Witcher 1 or even 2 have been. Technologically, we've reached a point where it's no longer as hard to go back to games from 5-10 years ago as it used to be.

robhans

Banned
Jun 27, 2019
It doesn't help that this is Poland where people look at you wierd if you work less than 60/h a week. Hell, many people want to work more, because "Providing for my family is man only purpose" or other backwards thinking.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I work in this kind of situation and it can be just as demoralizing as crunch just in a different way.

We have no deadlines. We have no overtime. We have no crunch.

We also have no product. Management will never let us put a release out despite having 2 subsequent versions ready to go. It's like purgatory because we're doing the same work repeatedly, testing it repeatedly, and documenting it repeatedly, but we're now having to push everything through all three versions to ensure it's all being updated properly.

Yeah, I get to come home and I'm getting sleep, but I'm a husk on the job regardless of the hours. I'm wasting away with no real work to do and it's put me in a real dark place mentally as I feel useless and helpless.

It's by no means the same or even on the same magnitude as crunch culture, but just know there are ditches on both sides.

Good point. I'm sure plenty of people would be happy to crunch if they were part-owners of the game, and they were crunching for their own cheddar. I'm talking getting 0.1% of the net profit of the game in perpetuity on top of your salary. Could be $100k or $200k the first 5 years if the game is a big hit. That's half the price of a nice apartment in Warsaw. With maybe another 50 or 60k over the next decade or two. That's tuition for your 2 kids in Poland.

Crunching for a bonus tied to a metacritic score is a much less interesting deal for a dev.

Rockstar does it too with GTA/RDR games. Online revenue since GTAV probably helps them though.

In reality I could do a full multi-page analysis on how to fix stuff like this within the industry on both the micro level and the macro level.

I would love to read such a thing!

CPDR is a publically listed company and I can't imagine their stakeholders would be too happy if all they heard for the past 5 years was "We're working on something, it's coming sometime. Please be excited".

Indeed. Sometimes it can't be done.

Still, plenty of times, it CAN be done, and is not done because of questionable reasons. SCE or Xbox Studios could easily follow suit to Nintendo...but they have twisted evil motives like marketing.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
what is the fucking point of ordering a whole studio to crunch anyway? like I could at least get HEY FOLKS WHO HAVE DELIVERABLES OR IMMEDIATE RESPONSIBILITIES WE NEED THAT SHIT DONE but like...you have plenty of folks done forever ago. let them chill at home.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Indeed. Sometimes it can't be done.

Still, plenty of times, it CAN be done, and is not done because of questionable reasons. SCE or Xbox Studios could easily follow suit to Nintendo...but they have twisted evil motives like marketing.

Blaming marketing for crunch is generally not the right move. Deadlines are set by the project owners and are generally a factor of workforce power and budget. Marketing is often just the mouthpiece that helps announce the final date.

A lot of the dates set in these bigger companies are done to align with either quarterly earnings calls or year-end fiscal reports - both of which tend to have very little to do with marketing.

Marketing is also a very diverse field within a company - blaming the near-minimum wage social media person for announcing a release date when they are often just trying to do their job is also not the right way forward. As a Product Marketer, my job is to assist the product team with setting realistic deadlines and to plan content news drops around those dates, my job isn't really to decide the final launch date for anything aside from maybe pushing back (not forward!) launches in order to give the team more time/less pressure/a better chance to sell more copies.

Blaming marketing, to me, is just taking the focus off the real blame in the whole situation: Corporate greed.

Also, as mentioned before - Nintendo projects undergo crunch regularly, even if it isn't by direct Nintendo employees. Big games take over 1000 people to make and often a lot of those are not in-house.

Also worth noting that crunch does not stop nor change if a game's date isn't publically announced - internal drop-dead dates are very real and it doesn't matter if the game is announced or not. Even infamous "shadowdropped" games can still undergo crunch, as its a developer/publisher/shareholder thing, not a publically announced date thing.

what is the fucking point of ordering a whole studio to crunch anyway? like I could at least get HEY FOLKS WHO HAVE DELIVERABLES OR IMMEDIATE RESPONSIBILITIES WE NEED THAT SHIT DONE but like...you have plenty of folks done forever ago. let them chill at home.

I've seen games where people who were done their tasks were shuffled off to other roles like QA because some projects needed all hands on deck and the company wasn't going to ramping up (hiring new employees).

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
I was in a union, 6 years. Company was still allowed to force overtime 16 hour shifts in a warehouse throwing around 80 pound boxes all day.

I don't know why everyone thinks a union is going to solve overtime.

nath999

May 7, 2018
Do we know how the pandemic affected them? Maybe they really did intend no crunch but the pandemic made it hard to follow through with?

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
I was in a union, 6 years. Company was still allowed to force overtime 16 hour shifts in a warehouse throwing around 80 pound boxes all day.

A union isn't going to solve crunch, especially over night. In fact, I think overtime will continue to be a thing.

What a union will solve is a lot of the reasons behind crunch culture within the studio system, such as people getting flat out fired for saying they'd rather spend time with their kids than crunch on a project.

Strong video game unionization will help push for a lot of things to get better and take a lot of the pressure off the societal reasons why crunch happens.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
A union isn't going to solve crunch, especially over night. In fact, I think overtime will continue to be a thing.

What a union will solve is a lot of the reasons behind crunch culture within the studio system, such as people getting flat out fired for saying they'd rather spend time with their kids than crunch on a project.

Strong video game unionization will help push for a lot of things to get better and take a lot of the pressure off the societal reasons why crunch happens.
You nailed it.

Newbong

Oct 27, 2017
close the fucking industry down !! Anyway games are a time waste giving you false sense of achievements . lol

Kevvin

Oct 28, 2017
My job requires crunch. I know that going in. I'm okay with that. What is the difference here?

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My job requires crunch. I know that going in. I'm okay with that. What is the difference here?
Your crunch isn't posted online so folks on the internet who don't work in your industry can be outraged on your behalf. Im genuinely curious how many people working at CDPR are surprised and/or upset about this.

Shadowrun

Oct 26, 2017

Well, there's just one small, tinsy-tiny difference: Other people aren't you. That's great that you're fine with crunch; it doesn't make it right or necessary or even something remotely worth tolerating as the norm.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Well, there's just one small, tinsy-tiny difference: Other people aren't you. That's great that you're fine with crunch; it doesn't make it right or necessary or even something remotely worth tolerating as the norm.
I think this is spot on
I "crunch" in my job too, but is totally up to me...no one should be forced to do it.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Work hard and suddenly the game bomb in sales because of this type of news...
So, all the hard work you and your coworkers made go in vain.

You seem to have a pretty skewed priority here.

"Don't report on this condition, because it will affect sales!", wtf?

And don't you worry, gamers--like you, who is a marvelous example of--don't give a shit for this kind of thing. Even with this kind of news, Cyberpunk will sell millions, so you don't need to worry about their work "go in vain".

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised to see Gamers™ going out in full force to defend precious CDPR, the bastion of true Gaming™.

And people complained about people not giving CDPR the benefit of the doubt in the thread about their "support" to an LGBTQIA+ organization. We all know the problems with crunch run deep in the industry, but these guys are liars, playing the part of the good guy just for show.

Shadowrun

Oct 26, 2017
I think this is spot on
I "crunch" in my job too, but is totally up to me...no one should be forced to do it.

Indeed. Choosing a difficult path is one thing; having zero agency or say in the matter is entirely another, especially after your boss stated publicly a few months ago that it would not become mandatory.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
CDPR is a shit company to work for. I had a friend who worked for them but he quit and is now happy working for EA.

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
In reality I could do a full multi-page analysis on how to fix stuff like this within the industry on both the micro level and the macro level.

If you ever (have the time and) make this thread, write this post, or make a youtube video of this - I just want you to know I would read/watch it.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
My job requires me to work 80+ hours a week, be away from home for months and work 7 days a week. The difference is that I get paid handsomely, way above the average salary here in my country, and I kinda like doing it.

Jan 10, 2018
Schattendorf Austria
Could you clear me up as I am not familiar with the creative business what crunch means there and why everybody is so against it. In my field crunsh means working from 6am 6pm for 6days a week.

We switched in my company from an older warehouse software to SAP and I was working from 6 am to 11pm 6 Days a week for 12 weeks in a row and slept in a hotel closer to the company so that i could still get my 6 hours mandatory rest :)
Sure it was hard but I earned over 600 percent more these 3 months so that was nice and when the company has lots of work we regularly work 6 day weeks with overpay.
So I have every year a 4-8 weeks period with longer hours and one more day at the company and it is not that big a deal because you know it is coming and we earn 50 percent more per hour than. So Cyperpunk comes out in 2 months so basicly they are working 8 saturdays and some overtime.
As long as the overtime gets paid and with extra benefits I see no problem in a short overtime period. Sorry for my English.

Flik

Feb 12, 2020

One thing omitted in the article is the information that Polish labor laws are very strict concerning overtime. And overtime hourly pay rate is 150% of base, and 200 % if overtime extends to night

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Release the game in a buggy state and watch gamers and this forum lose their shit. Not so perfect games and delays should be encouraged. I don't think you can create a 3A games with 1000 of moving parts and not run into a lot of problems at the end of development.

Either it's no 3A games but for the same price or buggy games. Gamers and Publishers want neither so crunch it is.

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
No shit they lied about this, CDPR fucking sucks. Everything surrounding this game is a disaster and this site is full of Cyberpunk Avatars licking their boots.

mcruz79

Apr 28, 2020
You seem to have a pretty skewed priority here.

"Don't report on this condition, because it will affect sales!", wtf?

And don't you worry, gamers--like you, who is a marvelous example of--don't give a shit for this kind of thing. Even with this kind of news, Cyberpunk will sell millions, so you don't need to worry about their work "go in vain".
Wow!!!
maybe that's the reason why I didnt post about this...
Of course you misunderstood me about what I was trying to say.
if I worked hard in a project for years and something like this happen, after all the hard work I will for sure get worried, specially if this could cost my work.
If you think that the post is about some kind of protection big Companies or some kind of protection my big game, that's fine.
By the way, I don't even know if I am gonna buy this game on release date.
As I said, I just said that this is a very normal practice here in Brazil and seeing some of this development Behind the scene videos, this companys that do game development always looked some really nice place to work with confortable kitchens, big couches, game rooms, even some beds.
I fully agree that extreme crunch shouldn't happen in any type of work and I don't even know the specifics in this case, so can't have a proper judgement.
I just resolve to post in this topic because i have being seeing so many topics about crunch work lately that I thought I could take some questions to try to understand better the situation.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
People defending CDProject crunch culture and attacking Jason for reporting on Twitter.

Some CDProject fans are a fucking cult.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

A Union gives workers much more leverage than not a union. A good video game Union can simply say we're not going to work 6+ days a week.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
People defending CDProject crunch culture and attacking Jason for reporting on Twitter.

Some CDProject fans are a fucking cult.
It's crazy the amount of free passes CDPR gets when even half of the stuff they've been pulling would cause a mob with any other company.

Nov 2, 2017
I think this is spot on

I've got bad news for you friend.

If there are people at your job who don't want to crunch, and you're crunching, part of them being forced to crunch is the pressure that you're applying by doing so.

The only way you're not doing that is if you have an employer where your bosses are going to review your hours and have a discussion about why it is you need to put in this many hours and open conversations about the projects and workload you've got. The set of companies where employee crunch is interpreted as a signifier of a failing process and not one of "a dedicated, can-do, team player" is rather too tiny.