• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Crunch fucking sucks. Feel sorry for all the people who have to compromise on e.g. mental health and their personal life in order to secure a job in their favourite field.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

I mean, why would they stop crunching? Most folks aren't gonna stop buying it. Hell, it's not even like any critics are gonna dock anything in the review for it, if they even mention it at all. Further still, if the likes of Naughty Dog and Rockstar are anything to go by, folks'll go to bat for them and twist themselves like pretzels into reasoning that crunch is why these games are the way they are.

Nov 2, 2017
I am guessing it will be shorter than 2 months as the game has to go gold atleast few weeks before the release date.

Going gold isn't a real marker anymore with game patches. They'll finalize a candidate to go on the discs, and then keep working on a patch. I wouldn't even use the release day as a good marker for when this crunch ends.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, I have worked for some of the Beltway bandits and never seen months of crunch. That is kind of unusual for these sort of corps. I guess it depends on a contract.

On pay - you can be sure, developers in gaming aren't paid even close compared to say senior software engineers or higher in a normal corp, not to mention Google/Amazon/MS (non gaming)/Facebook/etc...

Definitely depends on the contract and where you work as well. I'm not sure, but I've heard google/amazon folks get paid well, but they also expected to work some long hours if need be.

In my experience, it's usually the integration part of our systems that delay in deliveries. Sometimes it's us, sometimes it's even the customer with unreasonable, hardline dates.

The thing is, game development -in general- doesnt pay as good as a lot of other IT-gigs; and because its also on the border of arts & creativity it often flips the mindset of people involved. For a lot of people in the industry it started (and still is) a hobby and passion. You don't want "your" game to suck or to get bad reviews. If you write code for some major company and and your corporate application has a few bugs or could use some improvements; you generally care a bit less. (please note that im not talking about super critical things here; games arent either). A lot of things are never truly finished in the end, certain people will be putting in the work until the final minute if that can improve the product. It just shouldnt be mandatory. If you need mandatory crunch/OT you have a different issue.

As far as I know, "mandatory" crunch might not be as black and white. I'm not a game developer, so I'm speculating. Management can mandate what they want in order to get a project through, but I've never been glued to my workstation and told that I will work 80 hours a week. I can work work until I feel like I'm crazy and call it quits for a bit before I reengage, but I've (and no one else I know at LM) has ever been told we will work such and such hours. The only thing you have to be cognizant of is managers thinking you're not holding your own weight can most definitely use that against you in the future.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game is a couple weeks from hitting gold if they are gonna make their launch date. The Game is still not in a shippable state?

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
I knew this avatar was familiar, I love how you're pretending to care now mr. "TLOU II gave me feelings so sorry to the lives of the devs give me my game". I guess ND gets a pass hm?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/wo...ther-gotg-like-the-last-of-us-part-ii.280457/

I am not pretending I care. And you twisted/understood my word from that thread wrong, but whatever. Right now, I dont care about that, I wanna know more about managing side of crunches (I might word this poorly as well).

Terrible management from higher-ups.

So every AAA company and also a lot of... every kind of game companies have poor management?

SonicFighterV

May 13, 2019
Going gold isn't a real marker anymore with game patches. They'll finalize a candidate to go on the discs, and then keep working on a patch. I wouldn't even use the release day as a good marker for when this crunch ends.
The few games I worked on, crunch usually ended/reduced the moment game went gold. But true, we would continue our work till the release date for the day 1 patch. Then it was comp time after that patch.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
The few games I worked on, crunch usually ended/reduced the moment game went gold. But true, we would continue our work till the release date for the day 1 patch. Then it was comp time after that patch.

I'm genuinely curious. Where you ever forced to feel as though if you didn't crunch that there would be retribution as a game dev from managers?

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Always has been a trash company, always will be.

If the project is being managed properly, why wouldn't a delay help avoid crunch? I don't get it. If one of my projects has a month extension, we don't work more, we don't create more work, we just spread out what needs doing over a longer period.

Obviously I don't understand why game development is different and am happy to be educated.
For such a complex, huge, complicated game like this, there's never enough polish. Even months after the release, they'll keep releasing patches. If they delay the game, they'll just keep crunching so that the game can be as polished as possible when it release.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I am going to preface this by saying, yes, I want better work environments. I want them for myself. I want them for my teammates. I won't disagree with anyone here about compensating teams for the extra work they put in in real, tangible ways. I've been in the game industry 15 years, and I've inevitably crunched on every project I've been on. Some were forced. Some were suggested. Some were me just being naïve and working more than I needed to. I've run the gamut of working weekends to sustained periods of 12-hour days to even some full days. I've worked on projects both small and large-scale. And as I mentioned, crunch was an inevitability on each of them. I missed my youngest taking his first steps. I missed my middle child's first words. I've been there for numerous life events for all three of my children and my wife, but I've also missed some.

To lay it at the feet of management is short-sighted. A fantasy land where there is buffer built into schedules to account for issues that arise can't exist, because, and this may be shocking, that buffer is already built in. At least, it has been on the projects I've been on. To quote someone I loathe, with what some took as a gaffe from him, Donald Rumsfeld once said, "There are known knowns. There are known unknowns. There are unknown unknowns." and while he was talking about a senseless war, that quote succinctly captures the realities of game development. From every discipline, design to engineering to art to audio to vfx to animation to narrative to QA, we are constantly meeting and ultimately working through all the questions posed when making a game. And there are tons of them. Even simple answers can require complex solutions. Time estimates on tasks are best guesses based on prior experience, but sometimes those take more. That impacts the schedule. What gets pushed? Who can pick up what? Is it actually important? Day after day. Sometimes it can't get pushed, nobody else can pick it up, and it is important.

What's worth understanding is that the closer to the end, the harsher crunch normally gets. At least, in my experience. Why? The more of the game that is done, the more there is to test, the more bugs that get found to fix. Those fixes can uncover other problems or break other things. Games also start getting playtested the close to done they are. What's resonating? What isn't? Why isn't it? How do we course correct? Yes, you want to get to these answers as soon as possible, so I always push for playtesting earlier, but that can get stonewalled all the way up to the publisher level (which sucks.) ANYWAY... there are just so many factors, especially in the final few months, with everything coming together, that it is very difficult to not end up in a situation where extra work is going to be required. Yes, this is with building polish and bugfixing time into the schedule, too. I've been on a project that had 6 months of "polish time" built in that was quickly consumed by lots of unforeseen bugs and changes that had to occur. So believe me, I've seen it attempted, but 15 years of experience at multiple studios has just shown that, even with good scheduling practices, the reality is that some level of crunch is going to exist.

Again, I'm not advocating for crunch existing. I'd love for it to be unavoidable. I have literally made herculean efforts to ensure that my own teams have been affected as little as possible, too, generally to my own detriment. I'll gladly talk about my experiences or expand upon what I'm saying here as much as I'm able to if anyone has any questions.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
My job used to pull this shit routinely before our merger. I'm already giving you 5/7 days. Now you want to take half my meager time off? Fuck off.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
I am going to preface this by saying, yes, I want better work environments. I want them for myself. I want them for my teammates. I won't disagree with anyone here about compensating teams for the extra work they put in in real, tangible ways. I've been in the game industry 15 years, and I've inevitably crunched on every project I've been on. Some were forced. Some were suggested. Some were me just being naïve and working more than I needed to. I've run the gamut of working weekends to sustained periods of 12-hour days to even some full days. I've worked on projects both small and large-scale. And as I mentioned, crunch was an inevitability on each of them. I missed my youngest taking his first steps. I missed my middle child's first words. I've been there for numerous life events for all three of my children and my wife, but I've also missed some.

To lay it at the feet of management is short-sighted. A fantasy land where there is buffer built into schedules to account for issues that arise can't exist, because, and this may be shocking, that buffer is already built in. At least, it has been on the projects I've been on. To quote someone I loathe, with what some took as a gaffe from him, Donald Rumsfeld once said, "There are known knowns. There are known unknowns. There are unknown unknowns." and while he was talking about a senseless war, that quote succinctly captures the realities of game development. From every discipline, design to engineering to art to audio to vfx to animation to narrative to QA, we are constantly meeting and ultimately working through all the questions posed when making a game. And there are tons of them. Even simple answers can require complex solutions. Time estimates on tasks are best guesses based on prior experience, but sometimes those take more. That impacts the schedule. What gets pushed? Who can pick up what? Is it actually important? Day after day. Sometimes it can't get pushed, nobody else can pick it up, and it is important.

What's worth understanding is that the closer to the end, the harsher crunch normally gets. At least, in my experience. Why? The more of the game that is done, the more there is to test, the more bugs that get found to fix. Those fixes can uncover other problems or break other things. Games also start getting playtested the close to done they are. What's resonating? What isn't? Why isn't it? How do we course correct? Yes, you want to get to these answers as soon as possible, so I always push for playtesting earlier, but that can get stonewalled all the way up to the publisher level (which sucks.) ANYWAY... there are just so many factors, especially in the final few months, with everything coming together, that it is very difficult to not end up in a situation where extra work is going to be required. Yes, this is with building polish and bugfixing time into the schedule, too. I've been on a project that had 6 months of "polish time" built in that was quickly consumed by lots of unforeseen bugs and changes that had to occur. So believe me, I've seen it attempted, but 15 years of experience at multiple studios has just shown that, even with good scheduling practices, the reality is that some level of crunch is going to exist.

Again, I'm not advocating for crunch existing. I'd love for it to be unavoidable. I have literally made herculean efforts to ensure that my own teams have been affected as little as possible, too, generally to my own detriment. I'll gladly talk about my experiences or expand upon what I'm saying here as much as I'm able to if anyone has any questions.

Great post and great insight. I was hoping to hear someone from a lead position weigh in.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
how did we get to a situation where people side with publishers rather than the individual developers (aka the labor)?

so many people making excuses for CD Projekt Red.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018

Standing ovation for him. The lack of empathy, the selfishness, the childishness, the sense of entitlement, really I could go on , so often shown by "gamers" in regards to this subject is so, so gross. Heck there are people in this thread, on this site that couldn't care less about the well-being of the developers so long as they get their game "day one".

I wish more Jason's existed

SonicFighterV

May 13, 2019
I'm genuinely curious. Where you ever forced to feel as though if you didn't crunch that there would be retribution as a game dev from managers?
Hmmm... that's a difficult question to answer. I had a great manager and was really in the "prove my worth" stage of my career and didn't really think twice about the overtime. We had a good rapport among the team and we would work together, while joking about the overtime. But in the process, I did hear about how we were in a much better crunch culture than it previously used to be.

Deleted member 50232

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018

Really interesting post, great to get a different perspective. Thank you.

Oct 27, 2017
Is working 6 days a week considered crunch?
Yes.
Only having 1 day off is mentally detrimental. I used to to do it and on my days off I'd be so tired and constantly thinking about going to work the next day. When you're living like that you may as well be working 24/7, your brain thinks it is.

Now, have standards improved over crunch in the old days? Sort of. Developers used to get longer breaks after completing a project, periods of down time. Now as soon as you ship a gane you're working on dlc and dayb1 patches. Then more patches once the public get a hold of your game.

If it's a continously supported game as a service then you could work 6 days a week crunching forever. It's bad for you, bad for your project and bad for your studio.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Looks like a bunch of angry clowns got angry at Jason for reporting the truth of Cyberpunk 2077's development.
This game is a couple weeks from hitting gold if they are gonna make their launch date. The Game is still not in a shippable state?
I'd recommend reading Schreier's book, Blood, Sweat & Pixels, if this sort of stuff interests you because it goes into just how much of a last-minute finish it is to get any game out at all, including the development of CDPR's last major title, The crunch-filled Witcher 3.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I work in software development as well. You of course are going to get some late nights or working weekends especially as you get closer to a release/deployment. That's how it is, and it's difficult to properly manage/forsee that kind of thing all the time. However, there is a stark difference between that kind of scenario and ones that are so often found in game dev. I've never personally had to work weekends/70+ hour work weeks for months on end in preparation for a release, nor should I or anyone else. It's unhealthy.

Do you work in a tech startup? Because 6 days a week and constant overtime is par for the course with startups. Because in many ways a AAA game project is very similar to a tech startup. Both require the invention of new tech, new creative, with often hazy product and design goals and leadership that is not really prepared to handle things in an empathetic way. And a limited runway of funding to get the thing out the door.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
This close to launch, couldn't they just delay it a few weeks? It's not going to miss a single sale.

Hell, they could delay it into 2021 and I feel like people would be understanding and if not, really, fuck 'em.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Is a 6-day work week expected during crunch?

One more delay wouldn't be so bad.

SonicFighterV

May 13, 2019

Thanks for elaborating what I have been trying to say in the thread. With so many moving pieces and personnel, it becomes very challenging to estimate accurately. A game is a bunch of parts which all comes together towards the lag end of the project. Everyone should read this.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
This close to launch, couldn't they just delay it a few weeks? It's not going to miss a single sale.

This would cause more crunch because games are never perfect or wholly finished when they go out the door and there's always the next thing to fix.

The only way to avoid crunch is by expert project management at the beginning of the project - and even then it can be difficult except for highly skilled project managers.

The only true way to avoid crunch in the video game industry is by having the video game industry unionize.

Jan 29, 2018
Yup, this is how teams often work in software development of all kinds. This is not unique to the games industry, nor is it always soul-crushingly destructive. There has just been an obsessive focus on it from the games media, ignoring a lot of the opposing views in favor of creating the image of it being something that can be entirely eliminated. It mostly likely cannot.

I say this as someone who manages deadlines and shipping products on time.

Valve is in an extraordinarily unique position to have basically limitless resources and full, unfettered creative control over their development and IPs. They have done this deliberately, but there are few (if any?) other shops out there in this same position.

Of course it's not unique to games. But as someone who's worked in software dev for 12 years, it's not inevitable either and is entirely avoidable.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
Man I don't think I've seen a single piece of coverage about this game that increased my desire to buy it in, like, 2 years.

Every single piece of news makes me less interested.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Do you work in a tech startup? Because 6 days a week and constant overtime is par for the course with startups. Because in many ways a AAA game project is very similar to a tech startup. Both require the invention of new tech, new creative, with often hazy product and design goals and leadership that is not really prepared to handle things in an empathetic way. And a limited runway of funding to get the thing out the door.
Do you?

I've been anywhere from the only developer to the fourth in 4 startups, none of which were even series A funded when I joined. None of them routinely worked 6 day weeks. I'm not saying overtime never happened right before a big demo or investor pitch, but it's nowhere near game industry crunch. Maybe at it's height we pushed 50 hours a week for 2 or 3 weeks. I've known game industry people who worked double that for months and months on end.

Dec 20, 2017

Whoa. Someone that actually knows what they're talking about. Get him!

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm... that's a difficult question to answer. I had a great manager and was really in the "prove my worth" stage of my career and didn't really think twice about the overtime. We had a good rapport among the team and we would work together, while joking about the overtime. But in the process, I did hear about how we were in a much better crunch culture than it previously used to be.

That's kind of how it feels with the team I'm in right now. Like, we've been through the suck, but we know that getting through it will sustain our business contracts. Especially when we go from the development part of a contract to the sustainment part, which opens the door for other customers. I feel with less than 10 years at my current job, I'll always in the the prove my worth mentality.

viandante

Apr 24, 2020
the amount of gamers in here insisting that this is normal, and therefore inevitable or not worth complaining about...

yeesh

Oct 27, 2017
Oof that sucks. Idk how to approach this. Buy used to not support this practice or buy new to show devs I am glad for their sacrifices? Super bad move by mgmt, they probably don't want to delay it again

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
With all the removed features and delays, one would think the game would be near completion.

twistedbasis

Jan 10, 2018
Damn, crunch sucks. One release valve they should use is a 100% drop of unnecessary SKUs to worry about. If a delay would not help, and if they're really beholden to shipping the content they want and wont drop that, then they can release a bit of pressure by cutting current gen Xbox One / PS4 and ship those later or through a 3rd party if necessary. It's not much, but those platforms aren't free to support either.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Is working 6 days a week considered crunch?

I don't think anyone is making a huge deal about the occasional Saturday in the office, as much as it sucks, but one day off a week, week after week, for weeks or months can be absolutely crushing. And that's not counting already working over mon-fri.

Ponchito

Oct 28, 2017
Mexico City
With all due respect, I really wonder what everybody else does for a living. This is not exclusive to gaming.

In my line of work, absolutely no one works a 9 to 5 stress free job if you want to remain in business and be competitive. Especially when facing deadlines and on big projects.

Just my opinion.