• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
This is my concern. I'm going to sound like an anti-vaxxer because I don't trust this isn't a ploy to get Trump four more years.

Look at it this way, if the Oxford Vaccine passes the tests it has to be approved by the american authorities but also by the EU ones, so if it's ready November 1stbon the US it also should be available in Germany.

If those countries have different timetables they'll have to explain very well how is that possible. It shouldn't be possible and if it is I wouldn't trust that vaccine

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
No way am I taking any vaccine that is released this year. There's just not enough time to know that it is actually safe. What a world we are living in...

Nov 16, 2017
Look at it this way, if the Oxford Vaccine passes the tests it has to be approved by the american authorities but also by the EU ones, so if it's ready November 1stbon the US it also should be available in Germany.

If those countries have different timetables they'll have to explain very well how is that possible. It shouldn't be possible and if it is I wouldn't trust that vaccine
For sure. I'll only trust a vaccine approved for use in countries that aren't praying for a miracle. Germany being a prime example.

OP
OP
RDreamer

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
For what's its worth I don't think people will be in some position to take or refuse whatever vaccine by November or whatever. That's not what this is about. Trump doesn't care about results, he cares about things he can show. This will be smoke and mirrors. It'll be some sort of photo op to project optimism and miracle work done by him.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I don't think this will impact the election at all? All the vaccines we know of require 2 doses, separated by a few weeks. And production wouldn't have reached enough yield to start distribution even if it was approved for the 1st.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
On the one hand I actually appreciate news like this, because it's a clue that no, this election isn't completely rigged and they are still worried they're going to lose.

Of course on the other hand it's terrifying a monstrous and nothing surprises me anymore.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
No way am I taking any vaccine that is released this year. There's just not enough time to know that it is actually safe. What a world we are living in...
In the case of Oxford at least it's incredibly safe. It's already been in the works for a couple of years before COVID was even a thing and was merely adapted for it as it was already being worked on for MERS.

Plus most of the frontrunners in general are safe in general. At this point it's more finding out what potential side effect they could inflict for a certain demographic and if it's even notable enough to disuade using it to control COVID spread. Worry about how effective they may be over if they're safe.

Hale-XF11

Dec 8, 2017
No thanks.

On another note, I received an invitation today to possibly take part in a nationwide vaccine trial for covid-19, one that actually sounds promising based on what I've read about it.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
For sure. I'll only trust a vaccine approved for use in countries that aren't praying for a miracle. Germany being a prime example.

Exactly. I guess it will be approved for the whole EU.

What I don't see is that one Vaccine gets approved fby the FDA and distributed in the US first...how would that work?

I'm thinking that it will be submitted for approval to all the different organizations at the same time, once the final results are ready.

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
You are wrong. In places that take it seriously like the North East states there are maybe 5-6k active cases. If 80-90% of the population there gets vaccinated that thing is more or less gone. You'd need probably 50% at most to get back to normal.

And if we concentrate on high-risk individuals or those with pre-existing conditions, they can be vaccinated first and for the majority of others it will be like a cold/flu. Protect those who need to be protected first is probably the best policy.

Also, I don't know if anyone saw/posted this from what I read today on CNN:

Although two ongoing clinical trials of 30,000 volunteers are expected to conclude by the end of the year, Fauci said an independent board has the authority to end the trials weeks early if interim results are overwhelmingly positive or negative.

The Data and Safety Monitoring Board could say, "'The data is so good right now that you can say it's safe and effective,'" Fauci said. In that case, researchers would have "a moral obligation" to end the trial early and make the active vaccine available to everyone in the study, including those who had been given placebos — and accelerate the process to give the vaccine to millions.

In trials of this size, researchers will know if a vaccine is effective after as few as 150 to 175 infections, said Dr. Robert Redfield, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in a call with reporters Friday.

So theoretically, the DSMB could look at the data early and determine it's safe enough given the data they've collected, without running the full course of the trial. And since the DSMB is not a government agency, and only they have access to the trial data at this point, either the US government is getting independent confirmation of the safety and efficacy of the vaccine, or just getting things ready in case the DSMB does decide to call it early. Either way, the independent nature of the DSMB and Fauci's confidence in the process, along with some of the early trial data we've heard, seems to be very encouraging for something to be available sooner rather than later.

wossname

Dec 12, 2017
November 1st. Just in time to provide a Trump boost in the polls but too late for the fact it has been rushed through without proper testing and potentially doesn't work effectively or is outright dangerous to hurt him in the election.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
People keep talking about danger, which again just shows how few people in this thread have been paying attention. There's very little risk of it being dangerous. If the thing were widely dangerous it almost certainly would never have even made it to phase 3. The vast majority of danger is ruled out in phase 1/2 trials. There could be certain very specific populations who it is dangerous too, but even those would likely be identified quite early in phase 3. The odds of it being dangerous in any significant way are very low.

The real "dangers" here are that it won't work, which could further erode public trust for when a more effective vaccine does come out, or which could cause people to increase risky behavior thinking they're protected. Which are risks, but the odds are extremely low that anything significantly bad will happen just from you being injected with the stuff. Quite frankly, far lower than the odds of you getting sick from COVID.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
I mean sure one can be ready by then I guess. But the only people who will receive it are most likely health care workers and such. Not to mention whoever has a vaccine wont just be distributing it to the USA but to other countries as well of course. I could see most people getting the vaccine sometime next spring. You wont be at your local CVS this November getting it, thats for sure. Not even close.

But yeah this could help his poll numbers, maybe.

TorianElecdra

Feb 25, 2020
It's really frustrating to see people here spouting anti science disinformation. I hate both siding a lot but people here are allowing their political biases to cloud their judgement. No difference from anti mask / anti vax right wingers.

The vaccine being available in November does NOT depend on Trump or the CDC. It depends on how successful the Oxford phase III trails are. AztraZeneca / Oxford won't approve the vaccine for distribution it isn't safe, and worldwide healthcare agencies of basically every single country won't approve it either if their own respective health experts don't see it as useful.

Trump hijacking the CDC and trying to use the vaccine to his political advantage means nothing in regards to how effective would it be.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
It's really frustrating to see people here spouting anti science disinformation. I hate both siding a lot but people here are allowing their political biases to cloud their judgement. No difference from anti mask / anti vax right wingers.

The vaccine being available in November does NOT depend on Trump or the CDC. It depends on how successful the Oxford phase III trails are. AztraZeneca / Oxford won't approve the vaccine for distribution it isn't safe, and worldwide healthcare agencies of basically every single country won't approve it either if their own respective health experts don't see it as useful.

Trump hijacking the CDC and trying to use the vaccine to his political advantage means nothing in regards to how effective would it be.
Yeah, it's been known for a while that those trials are going to produce info towards the end of October. It makes sense to prep your regions to say "Hey, we should be ready for this." Regardless of what the news is, so that they can react accordingly if it's ready.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017

So dates will be politicized, but it will be ready when it's ready.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
That's less than two months away. If it were true the vaccines would already have to be in mass production. Which we would have heard about.

What is the play here?

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
"We found the vaccine!"
7157LEIGojL._AC_SY355_.jpg

Brewm0nt

Dec 22, 2017
Orlando, FL
That's less than two months away. If it were true the vaccines would already have to be in mass production. Which we would have heard about.

What is the play here?
As myself and many other posts in this thread have stated: there are millions of doses being made every day and have been for quite a while, just in case one of the vaccines reaches approval.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

What is the play here?

IIRC, many of the vaccine candidates have been in mass production based on earlier test results showing efficacy in order to fast track distribution.

There is a legit chance that the day full approval of a vaccine is done there will already have millions of doses ready.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I'm not taking that poison. FUCK all of this. Fuck this entire goddamn year to hell.

take your vaccines and.... nevermind, i should stop now.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I won't take a Trump vaccine. I'll wait until a legitimate company without a political agenda makes a real, effective vaccine instead - even if I have to wait until next year.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Huh? They aren't going to be giving out a placebo to the public and telling them it's a real vaccine.

I get it that Trump is desperate, but the company providing the vaccine would never allow this to happen as it would be catastrophic to their business.

It's not catastrophic when you get billions in government funds to knock out a vaccine in the days before and election and claim to defeat the virus when people won't figure out that it's a placebo until after the election, and then a grateful Republican party insulates you from any fallout with the justice department or FDA.

In fact, not only are you financially floated with government contracts, and legally insulated by the GoP, but your stock price soars because all the MAGA Robin Hood traders buy up shares to "own the libs," and the Robin Hood traders on the left buy in too, because they don't want to miss out on a bubble, and then of course Wall Street wants that action too.

A few months go by and the vaccine scam that gave people false security and gives rise to an extra 100k deaths is promptly forgotten as just a small good-faith mistake that shouldn't turn anyone off your company that employs so many people and does so much good in the world. And anyone who pays attention to the steady internal leaks and testimony by whistle-blowers over the next few years need to "let it go, already."

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017

What is the play here?

The play is to tell people the vaccine is being delivered Nov 1st, and then its being distributed on Nov 2nd and 3rd, and then if he's re-elected figure out a way to blame Biden for there not actually being a vaccine ready until May 2021

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
  • Nov 1 comes, vaccine is released, everyone thinks trump is the good guy they always thought he was
  • Nov 3 comes, trump barely wins the election, continuing his reign as potus
  • Nov 15 comes, the vaccine has mutated and people are becoming violent
  • Nov 18 comes, the mutation is spread through biting and the infection ravages the earth
  • Nov 19 comes, Cyberpunk 2077 is released and no one can enjoy it due to the new apocalyptic pandemic
get out and vote people
(also don't take any of the initial vaccines)

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
As myself and many other posts in this thread have stated: there are millions of doses being made every day and have been for quite a while, just in case one of the vaccines reaches approval.
IIRC, many of the vaccine candidates have been in mass production based on earlier test results showing efficacy in order to fast track distribution.

There is a legit chance that the day full approval of a vaccine is done there will already have millions of doses ready.
Thanks to both of you for the info.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
  • Nov 1 comes, vaccine is released, everyone thinks trump is the good guy they always thought he was
  • Nov 3 comes, trump barely wins the election, continuing his reign as potus
  • Nov 15 comes, the vaccine has mutated and people are becoming violent
  • Nov 18 comes, the mutation is spread through biting and the infection ravages the earth
  • Nov 19 comes, Cyberpunk 2077 is released and no one can enjoy it due to the new apocalyptic pandemic
get out and vote people
(also don't take any of the initial vaccines)
The vaccine isn't being approved by the CDC.

It's the CDC telling states to be ready if the vaccines that are reporting their information late October, report it as safe, to be ready to start distribution.

This is totally normal, and good.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
It's not catastrophic when you get billions in government funds to knock out a vaccine in the days before and election and claim to defeat the virus when people won't figure out that it's a placebo until after the election, and then a grateful Republican party insulates you from any fallout with the justice department or FDA.

In fact, not only are you financially floated with government contracts, and legally insulated by the GoP, but your stock price soars because all the MAGA Robin Hood traders buy up shares to "own the libs," and the Robin Hood traders on the left buy in too, because they don't want to miss out on a bubble, and then of course Wall Street wants that action too.

A few months go by and the vaccine scam that gave people false security and gives rise to an extra 100k deaths is promptly forgotten as just a small good-faith mistake that shouldn't turn anyone off your company that employs so many people and does so much good in the world. And anyone who pays attention to the steady internal leaks and testimony by whistle-blowers over the next few years need to "let it go, already."

I'm sorry but none of this makes sense.

Oct 28, 2018

This is conspiratorial nonsense. There are real and legitimate scientists involved in this process, both nationally and internationally. You aren't going to see widespread adoption of a vaccine without very real and clear data clearly displaying its effectiveness.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Usually I am 100% on board with vaccines but the fact that this one had to be so rushed makes me a little wary of potential long-term side effects that they couldn't foresee.

Hope everything turns out all right.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
The real idiocy is that he thinks getting a vaccine for the election will help his chances but the people that vote for Trump don't believe in vaccines LOL!

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
It's really frustrating that people in this thread think that this is some out of no-where vaccine?

This will be a post-phase 3 vaccine if it's ready by the end of october.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry but none of this makes sense.
This is conspiratorial nonsense. There are real and legitimate scientists involved in this process, both nationally and internationally. You aren't going to see widespread adoption of a vaccine without very real and clear data clearly displaying its effectiveness.

If we have internationally widespread vaccine adoption with very real and clear data in two months then fine, if it's just being sent to the States then fuuuuck that. I'm in Canada, and I'll wait until my government okays it, I don't trust the CDC, AT ALL.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I'm confused: do you think the CDC is making a vaccine?

No, but I believe that Trump will jump on whatever 'vaccine' falls into his lap first, regardless of efficacy or safety. He doesn't care whether a vaccine works, he just cares that he can point to one and say 'Here!' sometime before November 3rd. Considering that proper Phase III trials of any vaccine won't possibly be completed and reviewed before then, any vaccine he promotes will potentially be of dubious quality and safety. Therefore, it's better to wait until real scientists have signed off on something as safe and effective, and that certainly won't be in the timeline that Trump hopes it will.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
No, but I believe that Trump will jump on whatever 'vaccine' falls into his lap first, regardless of efficacy or safety. He doesn't care whether a vaccine works, he just cares that he can point to one and say 'Here!' sometime before November 3rd. Considering that proper Phase III trials of any vaccine won't possibly be completed and reviewed before then, any vaccine he promotes will potentially be of dubious quality and safety. Therefore, it's better to wait until real scientists have signed off on something as safe and effective, and that certainly won't be in the timeline that Trump hopes it will.
That's not how this works though, besides any of the vaccines we'd be getting info on for that November 1st date, will have been safe enough to even make it to Phase 3, and if it's good it will have passed phase 3.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017

When you say "real scientists", you think theres a vaccine in phase 3 trials made by fake scientists?

It is possible that a vaccine will be ready, specially the Oxford one. It won't be a "made up vaccine". It's also possible that it won't, though, and we don't know how effective any of them will be yet.

But all this misinformation going on this thread is worrying. People are playing into Trump's strategy here. It won't be "Trumps Vaccine", he shouldn't be allowed for getting the credit for it, and that's what we should be fighting for, not for discrediting the vaccines that we'll most likely get around the end of the year, be it November, December or even January.

Is not thanks to Trump

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
If my cardiologist and general practitioner tell me to get the vaccine, I will get the vaccine.

I just figured there would be some lead time between the data coming out saying that the vaccine is effective and it actually being released to the public.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
If my cardiologist and general practitioner tell me to get the vaccine, I will get the vaccine.

I just figured there would be some lead time between the data coming out saying that the vaccine is effective and it actually being released to the public.

Should be. First should be given to essential workers and risk population

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, I'm fully expecting some form of analysis - not final results, but a "progress so far" saying where they're at - in the next few weeks from Oxford/AZ, which I suppose the CDC (FDA, whoever does this role in the USA) could then use to prepare urgent approval if the results are strong enough.

Given the circumstances, I could see it.