• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I would imagine this has to do with the TV show. CDPR wanted to protect themselves likely before someone more dangerous than Netflix went to Sapkowski and got involved.
Yeah no. They did it because they want Sapowski involved in the future of the franchise. Pretty sure CDPR has the game rights indefinitely. Otherwise he would've just waited until the rights are up to get the money he wanted by selling it back to CDPR or another party.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
he's the one asked for the original lump sum. cdpr originally offered him a percentage of royalties
I'm aware
He was the one who turned down the percentages and demanded a lump sum in the first place. Were CDPR supposed to refuse and not got the rights at all?
No, they were supposed to pay him what his work was really worth after they were no longer a tiny struggling studio and after their use of his work brought them massive success. Which is exactly what they did. Hence why I said it was good.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
A next gen Witcher with ray tracing would be mind blowing. I'm very excited. Good to see them do right by the author. He created the works. Pay him.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ciri is too OP for a game, can't we have a Lodge of Sorceresses one?

Maybe the author will write new stuff from that world?

Max Deltree

Oct 31, 2017
It was always my understanding that he didn't believe in games in general, not in CD Projekt Games. So more of a case of someone who did not understand the media.

But this is great news, because with CD Projekt games and the Witcher show, we can see the franchise grow even more, perhaps even with more awareness of each other.

Because eventually the show will have done the books, and they might want to do a spin-off. As CD Projekt probably will do.

And now Sapkowski can go back to the franchise if he wants. Even CD Projekt can expand to other places in the scenario without being total fan-fiction.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good on them. The author made a stupid mistake. We all do. Glad they can both make bank.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
I don't believe he deserved anything, he made his own bed. But hey, if everyone is happy with this arrangement, thats good. TBH if he wasn't an asshole I'd actually believe he deserved a second deal to begin with

Oct 27, 2017
I hope this is a good place to ask but has the PS4pro version been fixed? Last I heard it was patched and made worse than all other versions in some way but don't remember anything mentioned about a fix after. It's why I haven't installed and played it yet but with all the recent news and the show... might be a good time.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm aware

No, they were supposed to pay him what his work was really worth after they were no longer a tiny struggling studio and after their use of his work brought them massive success. Which is exactly what they did. Hence why I said it was good.

This is fantasy. This is not how any sane organization would conduct business. He made a bad decision and only started crying about it when he realized how badly he fucked up.

This new deal is charity on CDPR's part, and good on them for that. But make no mistake, they were under no legal or moral obligation to come back to the bargaining table a THIRD time for the same rights.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is fantasy. This is not how any sane organization would conduct business. He made a bad decision and only started crying about it when he realized how badly he fucked up.

This new deal is charity on CDPR's part, and good on them for that. But make no mistake, they were under no legal or moral obligation to come back to the bargaining table a THIRD time for the same rights.
You clearly have no understanding of the term 'moral obligation' if you think that CDPR, as artists, had no moral obligation to compensate Sapkowski for his work, which they clearly respect. Obviously they had no legal obligation to do so, but they knew paying the man 10k for the rights to his world and characters wasn't enough as did he. They are in a position to better compensate him now, and he asked for it, so they did. The discussion around Sapkowski on this forum has been incredibly toxic in a way that clearly has no respect for the man's work and contributions to the franchise, especially considering the creatives at CDPR would probably not agree with that stance.

Kingasta

Avenger
Jan 4, 2018
The Witcher 4 starring Ciri on next gen

iu

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
CD gives the guy WAY more reverence than he deserves (tldr he's a known scumbag and a drunkard, the stories I heard from people that had contact with him that are WILD) but Im glad they finaly found some peace.

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ciri - a natural path to take, safe and secure; no faults here!

Dandelion - So much wordplay, so much wooing, so much boom-chicka-wow-wow

ZUL-TAN ZUL-TAN ZUL-TAN (Dwarf shenanigans +1)

....Roche?

...ROCHE!

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Please make a Witcher game with Ciri protagonist.

Imagine ALL the possibilities
Would rather create my own Witcher.

Would like the games to finally get a true fresh start with a brand new character that forms all of his/her relationships and ties for the first time in the games itself.

Hopefully people will cool down their weird hostility against Sapkowski now. That always rubbed me the wrong way.
The way he treated CDPR always rubbed me the wrong way.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
Well that's good to hear. The author fucked it up himself in the beginning for selling the rights super cheap but at least it all ends well it seems.

Deleted member 2840

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You clearly have no understanding of the term 'moral obligation' if you think that CDPR, as artists, had no moral obligation to compensate Sapkowski for his work, which they clearly respect. Obviously they had no legal obligation to do so, but they knew paying the man 10k for the rights to his world and characters wasn't enough as did he. They are in a position to better compensate him now, and he asked for it, so they did. The discussion around Sapkowski on this forum has been incredibly toxic in a way that clearly has no respect for the man's work and contributions to the franchise, especially considering the creatives at CDPR would probably not agree with that stance.
CDPR's work in popularizing the franchise around the world, making the books sell infinitely more than they ever would, removes any kind of "moral obligation". It's not like he was a struggling, starving author. He got ABSURDLY more richer when the books started flying from the shelves around the world when the games started to get popular.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Just imagine he writes the outline for Witcher 4... Not that they need him - they're doing so well - but that would be cool as hell. I could imagine of all the things that he would be invested in the future of Ciri.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I wonder if working with Netflix and script writers has made him a bit more open to negotiations. With the games around he really did act a bit like a sour puss instead of being at least a little chuffed they helped spread the brand so much.

I think the real rumour is not that he got a raw deal, but he heavily insisted on the worst deal. Never play the stock market friendo. Glad to see this is happening and that he too is reaping the rewards for his creation. No one want to see the creators out of the picture. I mean can you guys imagine Minecraft and Harry Potter without Matsune Miku onboard omg

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CDPR's work in popularizing the franchise around the world, making the books sell infinitely more than they ever would, removes any kind of "moral obligation". It's not like he was a struggling, starving author. He got ABSURDLY more richer when the books started flying from the shelves around the world when the games started to get popular.
The games did help make the books more popular globally, but I don't think people realize how heavily the games actually crib from the books. All of the praised writing in the base game of Witcher 3 is borrowing very heavily from the character work and world building established in the novels, and honestly the games handle a lot of characters, events, and scenarios less deftly than the novels (DLC is a different story, especially Hearts of Stone since it is almost wholly original work from CDPR). The games prior to TW3 have even more writing problems, like the sex cards in Witcher 1 (something Sapkowski would never do).

sxiebonjour

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's any "moral obligation to compensate". More likely opening up future collaboration.

In your logic Warrior should write lifetime checks to Stephen Curry after his retirement because "the man's work and contributions to the franchise"?

Witcher games succeed because they are good games foremost. Good IP doesn't just guarantee success. Two battlefront games are not long ago.

Nobody in the thread shows no respect to the author but saying this moral obligation is absurd. Just like stealthily downplaying CDPR work.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
I wonder if working with Netflix and script writers has made him a bit more open to negotiations. With the games around he really did act a bit like a sour puss instead of being at least a little chuffed they helped spread the brand so much.

I think the real rumour is not that he got a raw deal, but he heavily insisted on the worst deal. Never play the stock market friendo. Glad to see this is happening and that he too is reaping the rewards for his creation. No one want to see the creators out of the picture. I mean can you guys imagine Minecraft and Harry Potter without Matsune Miku onboard omg
I think he just finally made some good money with Netflix and isn't so bitter about being left out of the game's profits anymore because of that.

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Y'all foolish if you think they'll make a mainline Witcher without Geraldo. Even in Thronebreaker they squeezed him in for 5 minutes, but he ended up on the cover of the game lol. It's like Mission Impossible without Tom Cruise/Ethan Hunt. No one's gonna bite.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Someone'll quote me if I'm wrong but that's what I remember reading years ago.
Nope, you're correct. If you read some interview you'll also see that he hadn't really much respect for the genre of video games and he really get across as an old fuck but over the years and in later reviews he change his views a little bit, wasn't still too fond of video games but gave them a bit more credit. Guess this dude is still mad that the majority discovered him and his books through a video game, something he never took seriously back then, and not because of his books on their own.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
If I remember correctly, originally Sapkowski got a pretty raw deal for his creation. Glad something has been worked out.
It was a raw deal of his own making. He did not believe in video games at all, CD Projekt kept telling him the royalties was FAR better, especially if the game ever becomes popular, and was the industry norm for the original IP creator. But he ignored everyone's advice and demanded a straight money payout before the Witcher 1 ever came out with no royalties. It was an unknown company and unknown property outside Poland so the cash payout was quite minimal.

Glad the author reversed his course but I still wonder what he thinks of video games? The Witcher games aren't canon but maybe they will continue with Ciri games and/or other Witchers and not go into too many details regarding Geralt's and Yennifer's fate to not contradict the books or the games
the final novel suggests that Geralt/Yennifer possibly died and are in Avalon like Arthur or some other plane of existence/afterlife but it was left quite ambiguous; at the very least if they are "alive", it isn't in a place Ciri could readily return to
. Of course they can always do a prequel Geralt game that takes place during the short stories time period.

Last edited:

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
I still think
the ending where Ciri becomes empress is my favorite most tonally consistent ending and makes for the best canonical ending
so not sure how the idea people have been proposing would work. I do like the idea of creating your own Witcher. Now THAT has potential.

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all foolish if you think they'll make a mainline Witcher without Geraldo. Even in Thronebreaker they squeezed him in for 5 minutes, but he ended up on the cover of the game lol. It's like Mission Impossible without Tom Cruise/Ethan Hunt. No one's gonna bite.
Large doubt. He may be in the game as a side character but he won't be the main character and CDPR has already said his story is done and you've lost your mind if you think people care more about Geralt than the elements that make up the game he's in. Witcher 4 regardless of protag will sell an insane amount just based on 2077 and W3.