• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
CD PROJEKT, creators of "The Witcher" series of games and upcoming role-playing game "Cyberpunk 2077", together with Andrzej Sapkowski, author of "The Witcher" books, would like to inform that today both parties signed an agreement further solidifying their relationship.

"We've always admired Mr. Andrzej Sapkowski's works — a great inspiration for the team here at CD PROJEKT RED," says Adam Kiciński, President and Joint CEO, CD PROJEKT. "I believe today marks a new stage in our continued relationship," Kiciński concludes.

The agreement satisfies and fully clarifies the needs and expectations of both parties, past and present, and sets out a framework for the future cooperation between the two sides.

The agreement grants CD PROJEKT new rights, as well as confirms the company's title to "The Witcher" intellectual property in video games, graphic novels, board games, and merchandise.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
That's pretty cool. Wasn't the author upset about the games a little while back? They must have reached an agreement that was acceptable to him.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
If I remember correctly, originally Sapkowski got a pretty raw deal for his creation. Glad something has been worked out.

Edit: Been told he screwed himself in the deal like 10 times now. I get it lol.

Last edited:

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Glad they got it figured out, I didn't like how demanding the author came off from what I read since he originally thought he was getting the best side of the deal and the games wouldn't do well but it wasn't in good faith with the actual success to keep him from getting anything more than originally agreed upon. its better for them to work together then separate. I just wouldn't of given him exactly what he wanted.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Wait CD Projeck own the merchandise rights to anything Witcher? Or just what come from their stuff.
Excited to see more of CDPR's take on the world.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Did they need this? Pretty sure they already had all game rights and this is a show of good faith with the creator. Unless there were limitations on what they could use.

Oct 31, 2017
That's pretty cool. Wasn't the author upset about the games a little while back? They must have reached an agreement that was acceptable to him.

He was upset about his decision years ago to not accept the royalties type of contract proposed by CDP regarding The Witcher. He wanted all the money upfront so they went with that instead and when The Witcher became successful, well... He wasn't happy ! :D

Someone'll quote me if I'm wrong but that's what I remember reading years ago.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Nice. That means definitely more titles from one of my favourite franchises, where I can play Gwent. And do some Witchering and world saving on the side.

Alanood

Oct 27, 2017
So we'll get Ciri games then.
1xiiuk.jpg

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I remember correctly, originally Sapkowski got a pretty raw deal for his creation. Glad something has been worked out.

He is responsible for his own raw deal. Got offered royalties but wanted an upfront sum because he was convinced the first game wouldn't make it to market. Made his own bed. That CDPR opted to renegotiate anything with him at all seemed like a gesture of good will. I'm glad everybody signed on for more, but the author is not the victim here.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
Good for him. He seemed upset with his original deal. I remember the Metro author basically telling him he should be glad the games are popular because it leads to more people buying and reading his work.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
So they probably paid him more money, eventhough they didn't have to. CDPR being nice for him.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if he'll suddenly regret this deal and throw over his lack of foresight this time too. I guess it's easy to have faith in his own product now that they've made so much of it.

I'm not always a CDPR fan, but I admire their patience...and attentiveness to good publicity.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
He is responsible for his own raw deal. Got offered royalties but wanted an upfront sum because he was convinced the first game wouldn't make it to market. Made his own bed. That CDPR opted to renegotiate anything with him at all seemed like a gesture of good will. I'm glad everybody signed on for more, but the author is not the victim here.
Ah, so he fucked himself. Sounds like this is for additional rights going forward though, so hopefully everyone is happy this time lol.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
He was upset about his decision years ago to not accept the royalties type of contract proposed by CDP regarding The Witcher. He wanted all the money upfront so they went with that instead and when The Witcher became successful, well... He wasn't happy ! :D

Someone'll quote me if I'm wrong but that's what I remember reading years ago.
Yeah, he thought they'd go under and make no profit at all so he wanted the money right away

"I was stupid enough to sell them rights to the whole bunch," he continued. "They offered me a percentage of their profits. I said, 'No, there will be no profit at all – give me all my money right now! The whole amount.' It was stupid. I was stupid enough to leave everything in their hands because I didn't believe in their success. But who could foresee their success? I couldn't."

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
So basically they paid him so he won't talk shit about the games after fucking himself over with a lump sum deal.

Deleted member 61002

Banned
Nov 1, 2019

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
Knew this would be the case the minute they paid him. Can't wait to see what the future of the franchise holds.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He was salty he didn't think video games would make any money and settled for a lump sum instead of revenue share. He was a victim only to his own ignorance.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
Hopefully this time he'll be happy with the arrangement. Hope this means we'll get either a Ciri game or a game about another Witcher somewhere else. Outside the Northern Realms would be my preference. Let's see Nilfgaard, Zerrikana, Hakland, or Ofir.
Why? I thought Witcher 3 concluded the story.
Geralt's story is done. But it's still a very popular fantasy setting which can support all sorts of stories about other Witchers or mages or even monsters. Imagine playing as a higher vampire!
Wait CD Projeck own the merchandise rights to anything Witcher? Or just what come from their stuff.
Excited to see more of CDPR's take on the world.
I think they own everything but they for sure own the merchandising rights to their own stuff. Sapowski keeps the book, TV, and film rights but CDPR has been letting Dark Horse make comic books so I'm not sure who owns the rights to those.
Did they need this? Pretty sure they already had all game rights and this is a show of good faith with the creator. Unless there were limitations on what they could use.
They didn't need it but continuing to get in public pissing matches with Sapowski isn't something they want to do. Plus they like to paint themselves as the "good guys" and getting into fights over money with Sapowski hurts that image. Hopefully this is the last of it. They didn't owe Sapowski anything, they even offered to renegotiate the contract before and he turned it down. Dude really doesn't think much of video games, he just got pissed when he saw how much money W3 made.