• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
www.gamespot.com

Cyberpunk 2077 Dev Shares Key Diversity Details About Its Workforce

CD Projekt Red announces that women make up 26 percent of its staff and many more details about its employees.
CD Projekt Red said:
"CD Projekt embraces diversity in the belief that a workplace which respect diversity is the cornerstone of openness and trust. This enables us to fully unlock the creative potential of our employees, which, in turn, translates into increased depth, innovation, and appeal of our products," the Polish developer said. "We also believe that diversity reinforces and enriches our organizational culture."
More at the link.

I applaud themšŸ¤˜

Arcana Wiz

Oct 26, 2017
Cool that they are trying to gender diversify.

But I wanted to read something about race and LGBTQI... more the latter since they posted some really insensitive stuff more than once towards this group.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure "25% of our staff is female" is the diversity slam dunk they think it is.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Good that they're above the average but in terms of percentages they actually have less women working for them then they did two years ago so I'm not sure why this is coming up now?

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Cool that they are trying to gender diversify.

But I wanted to read something about race and LGBTQI... more the latter since they posted some really insensitive stuff more than once towards this group.

I'm curious about the legality of that. They would have to poll their employees for those answers, and I'm not sure if that would be legal - or accurate, since I'm guessing many would not want to disclose sexual orientation.

Overall I don't think that would be a good look. I know I wouldn't like it if my company started publishing statistics on the race or sexual orientation of its employees. That's pretty messed up, and would seemingly lead to potential discrimination issues.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California

Technesis

Apr 13, 2019
I want to know what their meaning of diversity is. If it means just hiring more white women, i'm not really impressed.

OP
OP

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
I'm curious about the legality of that. They would have to poll their employees for those answers, and I'm not sure if that would be legal - or accurate, since I'm guessing many would not want to disclose sexual orientation.

Overall I don't think that would be a good look. I know I wouldn't like it if my company started publishing statistics on the race or sexual orientation of its employees. That's pretty messed up, and would seemingly lead to potential discrimination issues.
Well said.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
I want to know what their meaning of diversity is. If it means just hiring more white women, i'm not really impressed.
Ethnicity and sexual orientation questions (and the recording/stewardship of the answers) get really close to data privacy issues in the EU, so they may not be able to get you the types of data you're looking for.

Frost1800

Dec 3, 2019
Well, I wonder about the gender ratio of the employed + unemployed across the Industry. The best practice I think is to not discriminate people's eligibility based on gender. However, to force the diversity to reach a certain ratio for the sake of it might be a step too far.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I do wonder what kind of racial/ethnic diversity you could even expect in a place like Poland

Would hazard a guess it may not be as much as in the major cities of US, UK and Canada. For them, I'd reckon it's about networking with the right people when it comes to representation. So far, while they have stumbled at times, eg: Sikh cab driver and the ad for Manticore drink, they have been pretty good in terms of clarifying their position. The last controversy I recall was about the Haitian gang named, 'Animals' and you had folks who were pissed and some Haitians who were happy with the representation when paired with context.

So yea, it can be a potential minefield when it comes to representation. All people can hope for is that whatever is done, is done with sincerity and respect and not pigeonhole a group of people into a pre-existing stereotype/s even with context based on their colour and/or gender and/or sexuality.

Edit: Scratched out 'Animals'. It was VoodoBoys I was thinking of. Thanks to post#25.

Last edited:

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Im sure theres a ton of non-white women in the software industry in Poland.

I've been to Poland twice and I was the only person non-white person I saw outside of Warsaw. Which even then it was rare. I didn't even see a non-white female .That's why I think it's VERY disingenuous of people to think it's just that easy to diversify the work environment in a predominately white nation. My wife, who is Polish, had never met a black person face to face until she came to the United States.

They'd have to hire outside of the country to get racial diversification. I'm not knowledgeable enough to speak on their labor laws concerning foreign nationals.

Luxorek

Oct 25, 2017
Poland
The last controversy I recall was about the Haitian gang named, 'Animals' and you had folks who were pissed and some Haitians who were happy with the representation when paired with context.

Animals are a different gang. The Haitian one is called 'Voodo Boys' which in Pondsmith's original material was made up of white people appropriating a foreign culture. CDPR and Pondsmith decided to redo their background and make them into genuine Haitians. So no, not a misstep.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User banned (permanent): Shutting down discussion of diversity, previous infractions for sexism and dismissing bigotry
How on earth did these two worlds of people making games and sexual diversity collided ?
Should Devolver Digital also post their diversity numbers. One has nothing to do with the other.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I've been to Poland twice and I was the only person non-white person I saw outside of Warsaw. Which even then it was rare. I didn't even see a non-white female .That's why I think it's VERY disingenuous of people to think it's just that easy to diversify the work environment in a predominately white nation. My wife, who is Polish, had never met a black person face to face until she came to the United States.

They'd have to hire outside of the country to get racial diversification. I'm not knowledgeable enough to speak on their labor laws concerning foreign nationals.
I also wouldn't be shocked if sexual minorities aren't that eager to move to Poland for work, as I recall things aren't quite alright on that front (obviously there's LGBT native to Poland). Though same can be probably said about POC, understandably many can feel bit intimidated by such a prominently white nation.

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
It's a major global game development studio, though. It's not a bunch of Polish high school friends anymore.

So, the answer would be, a lot.

im sure the cross section of people willing and able to move to poland and speak polish to work for them is not a lot.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
good on them but i'm sure some people will still find something to be upset about.

Oct 26, 2017
It's a major global game development studio, though. It's not a bunch of Polish high school friends anymore.

So, the answer would be, a lot.

And they have developers from Germany, Spain, Italy, US, UK, France, Ukraine, Russia working in the studio.

Even if they are a major global game development studio they are still based in Poland and wages are not high to begin with.

Chronos

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure "25% of our staff is female" is the diversity slam dunk they think it is.

It actually is pretty good in a tech related field. I have worked for a very large tech company that everyone here would know and did hiring/interviews and I can tell you the tech industry is desperate to push diversity. Larger companies are a little more successful because they have the means to go out and headhunt anyone they want, but once you get to the midsize and small companies there are hardly any diversity hires left. Mind you this is specifically about tech related job roles, not the non-tech which has much better representation. It's not that they won't interview them, they literally cannot find them. There are just not enough to go around to get equitable representation. Why this is the case is a different subject all together, but I can tell you 25% women in a tech company of their size is doing quite well.

Jan 21, 2019

I can add an anecdote. The brother of my wife works for a University here in Germany and somehow he got a call for a conference in Montenegro (his birthplace) and with him he took his best friend who is black. His friend besically became a local attraction because people had literally never seen a black man in person. So yeah, these countries aren't really racially diverse to begin with (also, in europe we don't really have this concept of race as america does here it is more ethnic or social class, so the conversation gets a bit muddied when traveling across the atlantic). So their idea of diversity is mostly based on gender. However, there are different religious minorities and sexualities that need representation and a chance.

Arcana Wiz

Oct 26, 2017

??? I dont know of US but there isnt a law here (Brazil). My company at least publishes internally these statics and the sexual orientation question is done by an anonimous questionnaire that is optional and you can mark that you`re part of a minotrity and chose that the company doesnt add you to the count.

And while you can chose to not divulge if you're from a minority they have some extra questions about the company culture, suggestions and what you think of the present initiatives and actions.

And while they dont need to say the numbers i wanted to read at least a paragraph of them saying that they accept these kinds of group

And at least... if you`re scared that saying numbers of minorities (at least internally) will lead to discrimination... maybe the messed up part is your company culture? I know in mine that they didnt have any problem. And we are from the automobile industry, by far not the most progressive one.

Sorry. But in your way we never will begin to actually discuss these matters because we will be forever "scared" of backlash or of something going wrong. Yes, it isnt easy yet if no one ever does it these minorities always will suffer, because for people who doesnt face discrimination its easy to look to the other way or to think that there arent issues.

AllBizness

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
I want to know how many people of color they employ tho, must be a very small amount if any seeing they were not mentioned in this press release.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
It's hard to really quantify without knowing what having more details about the staff functions. Sure, for Tech that's pretty good but I doubt they're talking about 800 tech staff. Many of these could be suspiciously sexy secretaries for all we know (not saying this is the case, just making a point!)

Particularly given this point:

In regards to specific numbers at the highest levels, the CPDR management board of directors was comprised solely of men in 2019 and 2018. The Supervisory board of directors, however, included one woman.

Luxorek

Oct 25, 2017
Poland
From the article, their foreign employees: Ukraine (28 people), Russia (22 people), Spain (17 people), Canada (17 people), the United States (16 people), the United Kingdom (15 people), France (15 people), Italy (14 people), and Germany (14 people).

Many of these could be suspiciously sexy secretaries for all we know (not saying this is the case, just making a point!)

You come off as a complete asshole. Like holy shit...

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Factors like gender are "irrelevant" at CDPR when it comes to filling executive and managerial positions, the company said.

In regards to specific numbers at the highest levels, the CPDR management board of directors was comprised solely of men in 2019 and 2018. The Supervisory board of directors, however, included one woman.

lol

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
What about the pay gap? What about representation per field? Representation in decision making positions? What about women with children or expecting? Do they keep their jobs? Have proper maternity leaves? What's the turnover for these demographics? There's a ton of stuff left unmentioned.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Those are good numbers.
People have to also measure them by their environment. They are not a US dev, but a Polish developer, so that has to be taken into account.