• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I guess they need to hire a ton of people, thus the announcement 7 years before it releases. I'd prefer a Cyberpunk sequel tbh.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
For like 90% of the Yakuza games Kiryu isn't in the Yakuza lol

I get your point but I don't think that would stop them calling it a Witcher game

Yakuza isn't actually the title of the series in Japan. That was Sega of America being dumb.

My point is a game called "The Witcher" wouldn't make sense if the protagonist is not a Witcher.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
You ain't gonna see this game for a long-ass time. Them using UE5 for the CP2077 expansion is interesting though

Nah, they're using REDengine for that

thewitcher.com

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Official Website

The offical website of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. Your number one source for news, latest videos and screenshots from the upcoming RPG developed by CD PROJEKT RED!

REDengine, the technology which powers Cyberpunk 2077, is still being used for the development of the upcoming Cyberpunk 2077 expansion.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
What an anti-climatic way to announce a new game in this celebrated franchise.

It's also interesting they're moving away from their Red Engine and over to UE5.

It'll be interesting to see where they take the franchise with this new entry. Though I didn't love the Witcher 3, and am not impressed with CP2077 - CDRP has some work to do to get me excited for this.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
Here's what it says if it doesn't load:
We're happy to announce that the next installment in The Witcher series of video games is currently in development, kicking off a new saga for the franchise.

460cfa54bfe7d580178dc3350ba5aeeb3b33c7c3.png

This is an exciting moment as we're moving from REDengine to Unreal Engine 5, beginning a multi-year strategic partnership with Epic Games. It covers not only licensing, but technical development of Unreal Engine 5, as well as potential future versions of Unreal Engine, where relevant. We'll closely collaborate with Epic Games' developers with the primary goal being to help tailor the engine for open-world experiences.

At this point, no further details regarding the game — such as a development time frame or release date — are available.

REDengine, the technology which powers Cyberpunk 2077, is still being used for the development of the upcoming Cyberpunk 2077 expansion.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
why do people want Ciri as the main protagonist, it just genuinely doesnt make sense

Why not? She may not technically be a Witcher, but she has magic bs powers, is a liked character, and goes off to do the monster hunting thing herself in one of the W3 endings.

Makes sense to me.

CJohn

Oct 30, 2017
This thread is totally getting closed and any conversation about this game banned.

Personally, great news and I can't wait to play it. CDPR needs to fix their BS views about certain themes tho.

I am very dissapointed in the setting, just seems to be the same part of the continent; would've loved to see going down south in an Arabian/MENA inspired Witcher with monsters and all inspired by Arabian/MENA folklore.

Also the change of engine seems... interesting? And that partnership with Epic sounds worrying (though I'll grab this game if it's good on GoG anyways).
CDPR is so ready to wash their hands of Cyberpunk lol
They're still supporting CP2077.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yakuza isn't actually the title of the series in Japan. That was Sega of America being dumb.

My point is a game called "The Witcher" wouldn't make sense if the protagonist is not a Witcher.

Yeah, and Like a Dragon is a better name for the series

Well I think they might just move onto a new (or custom) character, but I'd be fine with a Ciri led game. It would follow on well from the end of 3 anyway

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Initial thoughts:

1. CDPR, take your damn time with this game.
2. Cyberpunk 2077.....dead title at this point?
3. Moving to Unreal Engine 5 is huge.
4. CDPR....take your damn time.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
also just realized the Witcher 3 next gen patch isn't out yet, wonder why they didn't time that with this announcement

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
No Red Engine? Now that is an interesting move.

Excited for this though. Might give the trilogy a replay when this gets closer.

Edit: Ah, partnership with Epic. Makes sense for the engine change then.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
besides the whole fuck CDPR thing i vastly prefer an early announcement like this over the secrecy bullshit the rest of the industry is subscribing to.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, and Like a Dragon is a better name for the series

Well I think they might just move onto a new (or custom) character, but I'd be fine with a Ciri led game. It would follow on well from the end of 3 anyway

I guess I would be alright with a custom character.

Ciri is just too OP and I don't really think it would be that fun to play as her WELL after her role in the story is truly done with. Let her rest, she fucking earned it. She and Geralt both.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
This looks like a new character and a new Witcher school as well. The image on the tweet doesn't look like a wolf.

Looks like the School of the Cat to me?

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Interesting move. Probably the right call given CP2077's technical flaws with open world handling, and how UE5 is VERY tailored to large open worlds now. I'll be looking forward to this.

PunkSxE

Banned
Apr 9, 2020
LET'S GOOOOOO

Let me create my own witcher and explore the northern kingdoms and I'll be a happy man.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
They probably lost a lot of talent after CP2077, so this strikes me as another one of those recruiting announcements.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Nice one, can't wait for this. Love the Witcher series so I hope this maintains the quality we've had before, rather than the quality of the last release.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This is an exciting moment as we're moving from REDengine to Unreal Engine 5, beginning a multi-year strategic partnership with Epic Games. It covers not only licensing, but technical development of Unreal Engine 5, as well as potential future versions of Unreal Engine, where relevant. We'll closely collaborate with Epic Games' developers with the primary goal being to help tailor the engine for open-world experiences.

Interesting.

Why not on their engine?
Because they realized it's ass, I guess.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I guess I would be alright with a custom character.

Ciri is just too OP and I don't really think it would be that fun to play as her WELL after her role in the story is truly done with. Let her rest, she fucking earned it. She and Geralt both.

Yeah true. I'd prefer an authored character over a custom one, but I wouldn't be mad if it was a whole new cast

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense, making your own engine is hard and Epic has put more money than you can possibly imagine into UE5. Why bother duplicating that work?

Tyche-42

Sep 29, 2021
Wouldnt be surprised if you created your own character for this one.

Still not going to let myself get even remotely excited considering how badly they bungled cyberpunk.

Oct 27, 2017
UE sucks, there should be less software consolidation, not more.

Well engines are MASSIVE undertakings, not only from a dev standpoint, but also from a maintenance and update perspective. UE doesn't suck. Using middleware doesn't suck. It's smart and takes a massive burden off of devs and allows them to actually focus on dev work, which is especially useful as games become more complex.

Just read up on how much of a pain DICE has maintaining Frostbite

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense, making your own engine is hard and Epic has put more money than you can possibly imagine into UE5. Why bother duplicating that work?
UE isn't as moddable as RED iirc

Well engines are MASSIVE undertakings, not only from a dev standpoint, but also from a maintenance and update perspective. UE doesn't suck. Using middleware doesn't suck. It's smart and takes a massive burden off of devs and allows them to actually focus on dev work, which is especially useful as games become more complex.

Just read up on how much of a pain DICE has maintaining Frostbite
I know what engines and middleware are, what is involved in their development, and the benefits and drawbacks of using/not using them.

Rayasab

Banned
Apr 12, 2021
Did they fix Cyberpunk 2077 on consoles? I have series S and it's cheap on Eneba currently

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
I won't be there day one like I would've been pre CP2077, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hyped for a new Witcher game.

Hopefully CDPR have had a shake up since Cyberpunk and has learned some lessons.