• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
There's an even better story than that...they originally started out as game importers. Because no one really sold legitimate games in Poland and they started just around the time Poland transitioned from communism (under USSR) to a market based economy.

Basically they single handedly kick-started Poland's video game industry from both sales perspective and then later from a game development perspective.
Aye, I'm aware of how they got started. I was more bringing attention to when they first started in the business of actual video game development. Still, it's pretty incredible to see how far they've come.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
Well Ubi is definitely more influential/bigger globally. Like I love CDPR but they have a long way to go to be compared to Ubi ito what they have done/continue to do for gaming.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
They sell a lot, but I imagine their operating expenses are much higher too. Which is not to say that CDPRs valuation is built a lot on sentiment, I can't say that Ubisoft generates the same amount of goodwill.
I mean, that's fine. I was just relying to the poster saying that if people make good games people would play them.

AllBizness

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
Congrats and only because I despise Uni Soft, my problem with CDPR is they take an entire gen to market a game.

Dinda

Oct 27, 2017
that just sounds like either Ubi is way under or CDPR is way over valued. Probably the latter.

pksu

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
So apparently it's more profitable to develop one really good open world game instead of ten mediocre ones

/s

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Ubisoft is still a much larger company, it's just that market valuation can swing wildly based on expectations.

That's the reason Tesla is valued at 5 times more than General Motors despite selling about 5% as many vehicles.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That's amusing considering how much crap Ubisoft pumps into the market.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Within 5 years Piranha Bytes will be the most valuable company in the world.
It's weird. Risen went backwards in its sequels as much as Witcher went forwards. Like I know a lot of people (myself included) who played and enjoyed the first Risen. Then we played Risen 2 and.... didn't care for it. And I don't think I know anyone in this group who touched Risen 3.

Dinda

Oct 27, 2017
It will certainly be interesting to watch that when Cyberpunk will release. Watch that sell 15mil this year, and the stock still crash down 20% since the analysts will realize it is, while a gigantic success, not a new GTA.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
What this says to me is that Ubisoft is seriously undervalued. Activision's market cap is $56 billion and EA's is $34 billion. Ubi is not quite at either of their levels, but not significantly far behind like this would suggest. I'm amazed that after the Vivendi thing was fought off that they haven't been bought out by someone else at that price.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
It's weird. Risen went backwards in its sequels as much as Witcher went forwards. Like I know a lot of people (myself included) who played and enjoyed the first Risen. Then we played Risen 2 and.... didn't care for it. And I don't think I know anyone in this group who touched Risen 3.

Elex was a big step in the right direction imo. It's not perfect but it's a lot better than the Risen sequels.

Hopefully Elex 2 is more Gothic 2 than Risen 2.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
I love the Witcher franchise but CD Project is highly overvalued on the stock market.

Especially for a company that is hardly diversified.

They rely on one major release every 5 years, which is always a big risk.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
This is so insane. CDPR was basically a no name in the industry up until Witcher 3, which became the most awarded GOTY of all time.
Sure they made other games before and after that, but that game put them on this position. Speaks volume that Witcher is still to date a benchmark in many aspects.

SephiZack

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ubisoft's quarterly revenue completely eclipse CD Projekts's yearly revenue. It looks like there's a lot of speculation going on with CDP's stocks.

Also worth noting that CD Projekt is valued in Polish złoty while Ubisoft is valued in Euro, so it's also going to fluctuate based on the exchange rate.

I've tried comparing their market value right now and it looks that Ubisoft is already back above CDP

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
it's great to hear but I wouldn't want this kind of presure riding on one game; Cyberpunk will have to absolutely deliver and then some.

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017
Several reasons for such high capitalization:

1. Surprising that no one has mentioned it yet. Net profit - CD Projekt is expected to cash in EUR 500 million this year in profit while Ubisoft will struggle to provide 150 million (Ubisoft net profit for 2019 didn't excess EUR 100 million). 2021 will be even bigger for CD Projekt so even though Ubisoft has bigger revenue , due to its size and costs it's not bringing a lot of profit. That's why CD Projekt does not intend to go Ubisoft's way to ship multiple titles a year.
  2. Hype (works well for Tesla)
  3. At the moment due to coronavirus there are no good stocks to invest to in Polish stock exchange so people are pumping money into CD Projekt which is seen as a quite save investment although probably overvalued

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Well, but their value ir probably more volatile than Ubi's. This was probably due to Cyberpunk, people are with some wild expectations for the commercial performance of that game, let's see if it'll deliver.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe I have to defend Ubisoft. Ubisoft's market cap as of today on the Euronext Paris is 8.12Bn EUR. This is actually just the value of their basic shares outstanding though...they have another 18.7MM shares to add. FDSO is 138.9ish on a fully diluted basis (they have an in the money convertible bond). Their fully diluted equity capitalization is around 9.5Bn EUR. They are theoretically net cash so their enterprise value is slightly lower. Therefore they will make the next Assassin's Creed game EVEN BIGGER!!!!! NOW seventy million square miles per ASSASSIN'S CREED!

OP
OP
His Majesty

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
ELEX was a definite step forward though compared to Risen 2 and 3.

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017
So apparently it's more profitable to develop one really good open world game instead of ten mediocre ones

/s

You were sarcastic but you know you are actually right? It looks like it's more profitable to make one or two games a generation than several a year. Cyberpunk's expected profit is 1,2 billion for CD Projekt. Ubisoft cashes in around EUR 80-150 million a year in profit.

Last edited:

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Within 5 years Piranha Bytes will be the most valuable company in the world.

If Gothic 3 would've been what they wanted it to be I think their trajectory would have been similiar to CDPR to be honest.

Gothic 1 and 2 are black magic for their time imo. Excited to give Elex a spin soonish. Hope they dont mess up the sequels there :)

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
This is so insane. CDPR was basically a no name in the industry up until Witcher 3, which became the most awarded GOTY of all time.
Sure they made other games before and after that, but that game put them on this position. Speaks volume that Witcher is still to date a benchmark in many aspects.

A no name before Witcher ? Yeah, Witcher 3 make them superstars but they weren't a no name company before that .. Witcher 1 and Witcher 2 sold milions of copies even before the development of Witcher 3 was announced + both games won many awards when it comes to PC and RPG games in the years of their releases and got pretty high critics scores all over the world + Poland's prime minister even got a copy of the game to Barack Obama when he was visiting Poland as a gift and that made big news .. maybe this is because I'm from Europe but here CDPR were in the gaming news all the time and not only when they were releasing Witcher 1 and 2

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Congrats, CD Projekt

I cannot wait for Cyberpunk 2077, and its inevitable follow-up, Cyberpunk 20XX, that will no doubt be built from the ground up for next-gen.