• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Norwegian_Imposter

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As in, the money goes via the proper channels. Not on about the processing and receiving of keys, I have used both and they are both spot on for that purpose.

RTX ON

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
GMG is an authorised vendor. Getting their codes from the publishers.

CdKeys buys their codes from legit boxes in bulk.

Both are "legit"

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
GMG is an authorized store.
CD Keys is legit too but it is basically a retail key reseller buying retail games in bulk at cheaper markets and selling them as globally as they can.

None of them is a thief like G2A.

VisualHeretic

Banned
May 2, 2019
Pretty sure both buy old keys in bulk and new ones have to come from devs/pubs anyway so either one is "legit". I think g2a and kinguin were the only shady ones where individuals can sell keys.

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
What does "proper channels" even mean?

Gmg mostly gets keys from publishers. Cd keys gets keys from retail copies.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I havent't used GMG in a while since I tend to just get stuff directly from Steam. I do use CDKeys a fair bit for things like PS+/XBL/Gamepass subs and occasional digital console games. No probs with either.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Both are legit.

CDKeys is not like other key stores, where users can sell "who-knows-from-where" keys, CDKeys obtain them directly from the distributors as retail keys. They're cheaper because they're from cheaper regions.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Both are legit

One if "official" the other is not, the publisher is getting money in any case.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Both are legit.
GMG works directly with devs/publishers to source their keys.
CDKeys is usually cheaper just because they juggle keys between regions

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
The amount of "CD keys are not legit" posts in here makes me scratch my head.

Don't trash a company before you know the facts.

Both companies are legit, buy from whatever one is cheaper OP.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Both are grey market key sites. As in, they purchase keys in bulk from cheap countries and sell them worldwide at discount prices. It's "legitimate", and saves folks money, but ultimately problematic for video game publishers/developers. For those saying GMG entirely sources through normal distribution methods, they have been caught quite a few times selling grey market keys.

Edit

Looks like GMG has changed policies recently and appear to only use publisher direct keys rather than anything grey market.

Last edited:

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty sure GMG still sometimes sell keys sourced from the grey market, but flag them as such when they do. They certainly did for a while.

Edit: in my extensive experience, CDkeys are quite reliable and have excellent customer service. No major complaints regarding GMG on those fronts either.

Edit2: and people really should define what they mean by "legit" when having these conversations (like OP did), otherwise people will just be talking at cross-purposes.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The amount of "CD keys are not legit" posts in here makes me scratch my head.

Don't trash a company before you know the facts.

Both companies are legit, buy from whatever one is cheaper OP.
Here's a fact. I bought Rage 2 from them as they advertised a worldwide steam key. Couple weeks later i learned they changed it to a Europe only bethesda key, and they didnt tell me.

Therefore, with the facts, CD Keys is less legit than GMG, which i have not had that issue yet.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Both are legit as in legal and safe. But GMG is partnered and an authorized retailer for some publishers.

Oct 25, 2017
Key sellers can be put into three categories

1. Authorized key sellers (Green Man Gaming, Humble Store, Gamesplanet, Voidu, Fanatical, etc.)
These stores have a direct publishing deal with the game publisher, similar to Steam. The publisher gets a cut from the sale. Green Man Gaming belongs to this category. The publisher or developer gets the same 70% cut from the full price as if you bought the game from Steam.

2. Retail key resellers (CDKeys, Instant-Gaming, etc.)
These stores take keys out of retail copies and re-sell them. The disc is not needed for any PC game these days so it's a legit business. The publisher will get however much they would have got from a boxed copy sale, which is almost always less than direct from Steam. CDKeys belongs to this category.

3. Key ebays (G2A, Kinguin, G2Play)
Here's the bad guys. These sites aren't stores, but platforms where anyone can sell keys that they have obtained from anywhere. Because anyone can sell anything, this is where all the fraud happens. The sites also sell some kind of insurance service so that if you buy something obtained via fraud and the key gets revoked, the site will replace it for you. It's very shady, and you should avoid these at all times.

4. Directly from developer
Not exactly a store, but a method of purchase. Some publishers and developers just use Steamworks to generate some keys and will sell them for you on their website. Humble Bundle offers a "Humble Widget" for indie developers who want to do this which gives the devs a 95% cut.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Both are grey market key sites. As in, they purchase keys in bulk from cheap countries and sell them worldwide at discount prices. It's "legitimate", and saves folks money, but ultimately problematic for video game publishers/developers. For those saying GMG entirely sources through normal distribution methods, they have been caught quite a few times selling grey market keys.
I think it depends per game? They list the source of the key on the game's store page. For example, this is on Shadow of the Tomb Raider's page:
TlDNKNS.png

Instro

Oct 25, 2017

1. Authorized key sellers (Green Man Gaming, Humble Store, Gamesplanet, Voidu, Fanatical, etc.)
These stores have a direct publishing deal with the game publisher, similar to Steam. The publisher gets a cut from the sale. Green Man Gaming belongs to this category. The publisher or developer gets the same 70% cut from the full price as if you bought the game from Steam.

These stores take keys out of retail copies and re-sell them. The disc is not needed for any PC game these days so it's a legit business. The publisher will get however much they would have got from a boxed copy sale, which is almost always less than direct from Steam. CDKeys belongs to this category.

Here's the bad guys. These sites aren't stores, but platforms where anyone can sell keys that they have obtained from anywhere. Because anyone can sell anything, this is where all the fraud happens. The sites also sell some kind of insurance service so that if you buy something obtained via fraud and the key gets revoked, the site will replace it for you. It's very shady, and you should avoid these at all times.

Not exactly a store, but a method of purchase. Some publishers and developers just use Steamworks to generate some keys and will sell them for you on their website. Humble Bundle offers a "Humble Widget" for indie developers who want to do this which gives the devs a 95% cut.

Should probably be noted that with #2 you can run into issues with the key not working in your region, the store changing that information last minute, etc, as some publishers have tried to limit the practice.

I think it depends per game? They list the source of the key on the game's store page. For example, this is on Shadow of the Tomb Raider's page:
TlDNKNS.png

To my knowledge they have been caught in the past saying that the keys were direct from a publisher only to be found that they were not. I'm pretty sure the policy of disclosing the source is not something they always did in the past, but I'm not sure on that part. Ultimately GMG is fine store, and have many legitimate partnerships, but they certainly operate in that grey realm.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma

This basically. Even GMG sometimes resels keys like CDkeys, but they will tell you on the games page.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Here's a fact. I bought Rage 2 from them as they advertised a worldwide steam key. Couple weeks later i learned they changed it to a Europe only bethesda key, and they didnt tell me.

Therefore, with the facts, CD Keys is less legit than GMG, which i have not had that issue yet.

Ok, that's fair and I am sorry you had that experience with them.

That doesn't make them any less legitimate though, that's one experience, I have had bad experiences with both cdkeys (delay of key for 48 hours because their systems just randomly decided to drop out) and GMG (wrong key given to me and a nightmare trying to obtain the correct one after complaining.)

Those aren't representative of their sites in general though and are isolated incidents, doesn't make either one less legit.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Both are almost exclusively where I buy PC games. Both great, both legit. CDKeys is just the one that operates in the "gray" area.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, that's fair and I am sorry you had that experience with them.

That doesn't make them any less legitimate though, that's one experience, I have had bad experiences with both cdkeys (delay of key for 48 hours because their systems just randomly decided to drop out) and GMG (wrong key given to me and a nightmare trying to obtain the correct one after complaining.)

Those aren't representative of their sites in general though and are isolated incidents, doesn't make either one less legit.
Changing products on someone to something literally unusable without telling them is about the least legit business practice i can think of, so defending that will never be a good look. They apparently put up many games for preorder advertising one thing when they have no idea what they are actually getting.

Just letting the people know so they dont get bit, especially in the age of all these storefronts and publishers getting specific with regions and keys.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
Both are legit but you have to watch CDKeys like the stock market. Pre-release game prices will often fluctuate and you may miss out on a good deal.

Deleted member 13148

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TlDNKNS.png
They stopped selling grey market keys, most likely in response to ITAD and /r/gamedeals no longer listing them. There's now a banner on their site stating "Every game comes direct from publishers."

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Changing products on someone to something literally unusable without telling them is about the least legit business practice i can think of, so defending that will never be a good look. They apparently put up many games for preorder advertising one thing when they have no idea what they are actually getting.

Just letting the people know so they dont get bit, especially in the age of all these storefronts and publishers getting specific with regions and keys.

I am not defending it, I am as pro-consumer as they come (hence why I think legit resellers are good) but I think it's terrible what they did and if what you're saying is true and they do that all the time then it's seriously indefensible.

What I am saying is, I have never run into this issue so I can't speak from personal experience on the matter to validate it.

I have been exclusively using GMG, Humble and CDKEYS for years now and they are the only two incidents I have ever run into (the ones I mentioned) and the only store I buy direct from is GOG.

That being said, I think you're right to let people know so they don't get bit, i'm not criticising you for that, I was simply saying that your experience alone doesn't make them not legitimate, many people use them and have never had these issues (like myself.)

That being said though, I never pre-order games so that's probably why I haven't experienced it.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
Both are legit if that's what your asking. GMG gets keys from publishers where as cdkeys gets there keys from retailers.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am not defending it, I am as pro-consumer as they come (hence why I think legit resellers are good) but I think it's terrible what they did and if what you're saying is true and they do that all the time then it's seriously indefensible.

What I am saying is, I have never run into this issue so I can't speak from personal experience on the matter to validate it.
lmao, validate it. Ok, well, anyone that bought Rage 2 from them expecting a worldwide steam key can validate that for you, as it wasnt a specific instance, but a more broad problem with their site and the way they handle the sourcing of keys, which is make it up until they know, and after they've taken your money, don't tell you about it. I bet a bunch of people got screwed on that one, not to mention you hear of this as a recurring problem in the PC thread from time to time. It's why GMG has put the sourcing info on their site, and they will also notify of drm changes.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
As others have said, both are legit, they're just different kinds of site. I've used both and have never had a problem with either.

Deleted member 13148

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not true that all GMG keys are from publishers, some are. For games where they cannot procure keys from the publisher, it's from "authorized reseller"s, which they have refused to clarify what means.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GameDealsMeta/comments/6or3rl/gamedeals_and_greenmangaming_a_history/
From the update on the bottom of your link:
Green Man Gaming has completed GameDeals' rigorous verification process and proven they obtain their keys directly from over 750 publishers. We're delighted that these deals can once again be shared with the GameDeals community.