• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mollymauk

Oct 27, 2017
So GamePass is big here on Era huh?
What happened to actually OWNING your own games?

Is a subscription based renting system really gonna take the market by storm?
Do we really want that for our gaming future?
Games are entertainment. I don't need to own them any more than I need to own a movie I go see.

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
It feels more like a marketing narrative that GP is the only service with this option. Sony have made it pretty clear it's just these professional journalists are refusing to awknowledge it when pushing their well researched articles for some reason.

I agree, there's no messaging problem here. Sony even mentions the ability to "download over 300 games" in nearly every post about the service on PlayStation.Blog. It's been a feature for more than a year. Anyone who's had any real interest in PS Now in the last year would have known this.

Sony really needs to leave the games up alot longer. 3 months is way too short. PSNow can learn alot from Gamepass.

Out of over 800 games on PS Now, the "3 month" limitation only applies to about 10 of them. The other 790+ are up there for the long haul.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Count me in the camp that loves GP. If Sony did the same with day one first party, I'd probably play the system more. But none of the games they put on there (whenever they do?) have been interesting.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Fun in what way? Most of those games are made up of third party anyways unless you are Nintendo so I'm not sure how you go from 1st party leading the way on GamePass to NPD threads. The only common denominator is you getting excited over numbers.

I feel same way. This whole messaging of he who dies with the most toys wins is taken too literally. If i really enjoy a game with good replay value or it's not on it on GamePass then yes i will buy the game. There is also no indication whatsoever that we will ever get to only being able to play on GamePass and no purchase. Why would they not want to sell a game?

You are really omitting a lot. Most of Sony's first party chart in those NPD'S and a lot of them have legs. Microsoft use to.

My point was previously the reason they bought so many developers was to bolster gamepass as to not have to rely on their checkbook with third party games. If a lot of the games they offer on their service are their own then they don't have to pay out the ass to have those on their service.

As it stands now, their first party is not pulling people in even on steam. So their third party deals with indie's and high profile games like DMC V, METRO are what they are using to ramp up excitement along with their first party. But those deals are costly. Why hasn't EA bolstered their service with other titles from different publishers? They don't have issues with a steady stream of content. Not everything is great, but they have consistency roll out of big games, and have the must have Football IP that people will sub for.

Their first party in the long run like Netflix WILL cost them less to have as the main contributor, but as it stands now it's not super great. So knowing similar to netflix's financial breakdown is important to help gauge how it's doing.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
And? Who said there isn't? Game Pass (or PS Now) doesn't replace full priced games and doesn't devalue them if they are offered there.

If they release it day and date on a subscription, they'd miss out on all those full price $ales.

If you have the sub you're not shelling out 60. Or if it's available on the sub you might just get the sub instead.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
If they release it day and date on a subscription, they'd miss out on all those full price $ales.

If you have the sub you're not shelling out 60. Or if it's available on the sub you might just get the sub instead.
They wouldn't miss out on them if those sales are instead paying two or three times that over the course of the year.

For the whales that buy many of Sony's games day one, sure they might average less made on them per year. But consider all the people who buy the games when they are on sale under $20 (or not at all), if you can get a portion of them on a subscription you could make more from them over the long run.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
You are really omitting a lot. Most of Sony's first party chart in those NPD'S and a lot of them have legs. Microsoft use to.

My point was previously the reason they bought so many developers was to bolster gamepass as to not have to rely on their checkbook with third party games. If a lot of the games they offer on their service are their own then they don't have to pay out the ass to have those on their service.

As it stands now, their first party is not pulling people in even on steam. So their third party deals with indie's and high profile games like DMC V, METRO are what they are using to ramp up excitement along with their first party. But those deals are costly. Why hasn't EA bolstered their service with other titles from different publishers? They don't have issues with a steady stream of content. Not everything is great, but they have consistency roll out of big games, and have the must have Football IP that people will sub for.

Their first party in the long run like Netflix WILL cost them less to have as the main contributor, but as it stands now it's not super great. So knowing similar to netflix's financial breakdown is important to help gauge how it's doing.
GamePasss is doing well, not sure what your counter-argument is other than you don't seem to like Microsoft's 1st party output. To each their own, I myself have gotgen plenty of value out of GamePass and it looks like many others have as well. Both Ubisoft and EA have their own premium memberships yet it's hardly getting much focus so why are you in this thread instead of those?

This is the luxury we live in, we have GamePass, we have EA Access Premium, we have Ubisoft's Premiium service, we have PS Now. We also have multiple consoles and the PC. Lots of choices, no use hanging out in threads you aren't pleased with the performance of.

starblue

Oct 28, 2017
Games are entertainment. I don't need to own them any more than I need to own a movie I go see.

So what ? Music, movies...all is entertainment but...what ? What does that matter with the fact of "owning" ? You don't need to own as long as you pay your subscription and the game is still on the library, but one day, that game can leave the library so if you want to play it again you will have to buy the game...

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
GamePasss is doing well, not sure what your counter-argument is other than you don't seem to like Microsoft's 1st party output. To each their own, I myself have gotgen plenty of value out of GamePass and it looks like many others have as well. Both Ubisoft and EA have their own premium memberships yet it's hardly getting much focus so why are you in this thread instead of those?

This is the luxury we live in, we have GamePass, we have EA Access Premium, we have Ubisoft's Premiium service, we have PS Now. We also have multiple consoles and the PC. Lots of choices, no use hanging out in threads you aren't pleased with the performance of.

Doing well with what hard numbers? What revenue are they generating? What is the break down of operation cost for the service IE netlfix's spending on license for shows like Marvel, or the films themselves. More and more they seem to try and push their own stuff now.

What numbers has Microsoft given for gamepass in how much revenue it's generated, and how much net profit they've made from it?

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
So what ? Music, movies...all is entertainment but...what ? What does that matter with the fact of "owning" ? You don't need to own as long as you pay your subscription and the game is still on the library, but one day, that game can leave the library so if you want to play it again you will have to buy the game...
Worse than a game leaving the library is a game being delisted due to licensing costs or whatever. You don't buy it on digital before then and don't own a physical copy - you're outta luck. Physical game preservation is important, and it won't be until it's too late - after the subtle (or not so subtle) campaigning to influence physical media to become a thing of the past - that people start to care about access over cost/convenience.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

This is a legitimate consideration that. I agree. I guess the same can be said with PS Plus IGC when it peaked during the PS3 generation.

rainz

Nov 1, 2017
There is more mentions of PSNow in this thread for some reason than gamepass talk itself... smh..

Why does every positive ms thread get bombed with this shit here still!?

Also the concern schtick has to stop soon right?

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Doing well with what hard numbers? What revenue are they generating? What is the break down of operation cost for the service IE netlfix's spending on license for shows like Marvel, or the films themselves. More and more they seem to try and push their own stuff now.

What numbers has Microsoft given for gamepass in how much revenue it's generated, and how much net profit they've made from it?
Nevermind, you still seem hellbent on hard numbers for a subscription model you apparently don't seem to be interested in. So of course you will question CEO Satya Nadella saying Xbox Game Pass subscribers "more than doubled this quarter" because you don't know what that number was the previous quarter. Your question is legitimate but why care so much about the numbers when your only concern should be the value it represents unless you are a stockholder. You don't like the offereings, I do, so what else is there to talk about?

There is more mentions of PSNow in this thread for some reason than gamepass talk itself... smh.. Why does every positive ms thread get bombed with this shit here still!?
It appears to be in some people's DNA, they just can't help themselves.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There is more mentions of PSNow in this thread for some reason than gamepass talk itself... smh..

Because the article itself is comparing services. Did you read the article?

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017

Doing well as in more than doubling their previous quarter. The CEO of the company found it worthy enough to point out during a financial conference call with shareholders, so I think they are pretty happy with the growth lol

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
They wouldn't miss out on them if those sales are instead paying two or three times that over the course of the year.

For the whales that buy many of Sony's games day one, sure they might average less made on them per year. But consider all the people who buy the games when they are on sale under $20 (or not at all), if you can get a portion of them on a subscription you could make more from them over the long run.

lol buying a game full price is considered a being a whale now?

So say they sell beacoup copies of TLOU2. And then they got another game that could sell a few months after (Ghost of Tsushima). Say combined with TLOU they sell like 25 million copies in the first few months, even with potential discounts that's a lot of money to leave on the table.

So while it might make sense for Microsoft, it doesn't make sense for Sony. It seems less risky to let the software sell because that's what's been working, than to hope you can lock ppl in long term through a subscription.

Even when they sell at 40 that's a guaranteed 40, then hoping the subscriber will stay subscribed for three or four months.

Also Sony doesn't really have GAAS games that make more sense on subscriptions, which is why again what works for Microsoft might not make sense for Sony. Same with Nintendo that has software that rarely ever goes on sale and do numbers above 10 million easily.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019

The article directly compares them with outdated information, not sure why it's not relevant. Not to mention that what you're saying isn't even true, there aren't more mentions of PS Now than Gamepass.

MakgSnake

Dec 18, 2019
Canada
Game Pass is just mind-blowingly amazing

1.) MS first party games available DAY ONE
2.) MS first party games NEVER leave Game Pass
3.) Games fully downloadable on the console
4.) We get Ultimate Editions of the game with Game Pass Ultimate - (First Party)
5.) Even games that aren't exclusives to Xbox but still comes under first party umbrella, we play DAY ONE - EG The Outer Worlds

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
Game Pass is just mind-blowingly amazing

1.) MS first party games available DAY ONE
2.) MS first party games NEVER leave Game Pass
3.) Games fully downloadable on the console
4.) We get Ultimate Editions of the game with Game Pass Ultimate - (First Party)
5.) Even games that aren't exclusives to Xbox but still comes under first party umbrella, we play DAY ONE - EG The Outer Worlds
Lots of indie games launch day one or come a few months after launch as well.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
lol buying a game full price is considered a being a whale now?

So say they sell beacoup copies of TLOU2. And then they got another game that could sell a few months after (Ghost of Tsushima). Say combined with TLOU they sell like 25 million copies in the first few months, even with potential discounts that's a lot of money to leave on the table.

So while it might make sense for Microsoft, it doesn't make sense for Sony. It seems less risky to let the software sell because that's what's been working, than to hope you can lock ppl in long term through a subscription.

Even when they sell at 40 that's a guaranteed 40, then hoping the subscriber will stay subscribed for three or four months.

Also Sony doesn't really have GAAS games that make more sense on subscriptions, which is why again what works for Microsoft might not make sense for Sony. Same with Nintendo that has software that rarely ever goes on sale and do numbers above 10 million easily.
Buying a full priced game isn't considered a whale, but someone who buys several full priced games day one every year would be. The vast majority of players aren't going to be done with the game within the first month, so you would presume their subscription (if that is what they have) will last much longer than that.

Also, the argument was never that Sony would be better off with a subscription model. It was spelling the notion that it would somehow devalue their games if they did. I own just about every significant Sony 1st part game this gen, and I didn't pay full price for any of them (including several on day one).

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Doing well as in more than doubling their previous quarter. The CEO of the company found it worthy enough to point out during a financial conference call with shareholders, so I think they are pretty happy with the growth lol

Microsoft recently relayed its FY20 Q2 earnings, detailing increased revenue to $36.9 billion, with impressive growth across the past quarter. That also brings a 21 percent decline in overall gaming revenue, as efforts shift toward the upcoming Xbox Series X, and fewer third-party titles leave their impact on the market. However, Microsoft's ongoing investment in Xbox subscriptions partially offset those losses, with Xbox Game Pass and Xbox Live smashing records.

Speaking on Microsoft's second-quarter 2020 earnings conference call, CEO Satya Nadella confirmed Xbox Game Pass subscribers "more than doubled this quarter," as the Netflix-style subscription steadily emerges a centerpiece of Xbox and PC offerings. Nadella also confirmed it set "a new record for Xbox Live monthly active users," primarily attributed to the strength on its Xbox consoles.
Firm user counts for either service weren't provided.

As you may know, Microsoft is no longer releasing the number of Xbox Live active users, and we also still don't have any data about Xbox Game Pass subscribers. Doubling the number of subscribers doesn't mean much if we're starting from a low number, and the lack of transparency is quite curious when Sony recently revealed that it had crossed more than 700K subscribers for its PlayStation Now cloud gaming service.

Nadella also revealed that "Xbox Game Pass subscribers more than doubled this quarter," but Microsoft has still not revealed an exact number for its subscription service. Microsoft also hasn't revealed Xbox Live active users this quarter, but Nadella says "we set a new record for Xbox Live monthly active users again this quarter, led by the strength of console." This time last year Microsoft was at 64 million active Xbox Live users per month.

My and Fisty's point still stands. Until they actually start releasing numbers, i take that shit as PR.

If money was rolling in hand over fist you know your ass they would be shouting it on how much Gamepass generates which in some magical way will offset the cost of the service.

Believe it when I see it.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Buying a full priced game isn't considered a whale, but someone who buys several full priced games day one every year would be. The vast majority of players aren't going to be done with the game within the first month, so you would presume their subscription (if that is what they have) will last much longer than that.

Also, the argument was never that Sony would be better off with a subscription model. It was spelling the notion that it would somehow devalue their games if they did. I own just about every significant Sony 1st part game this gen, and I didn't pay full price for any of them (including several on day one).

You might not be there Day 1 but millions will be there for TLOU2. And Ghost of Tsushima will not sell as crazy but do well.

So in a way they do get devalued if they're on a subscription day and date, cause why would you buy full price if it was? You wouldn't

That's two games they're selling at 60. For the day 1 market and the market that'll buy it at full price that's $120. Millions of ppl putting down 120 smackos. Say 4 million buy both these games full price, that's 480 million.

That vs. the 10 dollars a month you could get through a sub, but how long will they really stay subscribed for? I'd rather take the $120.

Oct 28, 2019
You might not be there Day 1 but millions will be there for TLOU2. And Ghost of Tsushima will not sell as crazy but do well.

So in a way they do get devalued if they're on a subscription day and date, cause why would you buy full price if it was? You wouldn't

That's two games they're selling at 60. For the day 1 market and the market that'll buy it at full price that's $120. Millions of ppl putting down 120 smackos. Say 4 million buy both these games full price, that's 480 million.

That vs. the 10 dollars a month you could get through a sub, but how long will they really stay subscribed for? I'd rather take the $120.
How many people buy two exclusive s at full price in one year?

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017

How many people would buy both of those games at launch full price? And how many would buy more than that?

When someone is subscribed to Game Pass for a year (not counting promos), they would have payed more than those two games. I'm not saying that no one would subscribe and then cancel a few months later, but the plan is to get people to stay subscribed year over year, and a good way to do that is ensure them that they will have access to your first party games day one.

So, I would rather take guaranteed $120+ year over year. Fortunately, both of those options exist so you get to choose which is better for you. For me the decision was incredibly easy, but it still doesn't stop me from buying other games on all of the platforms.

Just look at Nintendo games, people bought Luigi's Mansion (5 million in 2 months) and Pokemon Sword and Shield (sold 16 million, released this November)

It's not hard to believe.
Of course that happens in some cases. I bought Luigi's Mansion, but not Pokemon or any other of the Nintendo games last year as far as I recall. I also bought MLB from Sony and God of War the year previous, but I also didn't pay full price for any of them because they were on sale.

Last edited:

Defect

Oct 25, 2017

Is a subscription based renting system really gonna take the market by storm?
Do we really want that for our gaming future?
You can buy the games with a discount with a Gamepass subscription. So sure bring it on.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
You can buy the games with a discount with a Gamepass subscription. So sure bring it on.
I would hardly call that a benefit of Game Pass. Even with the discount, the digital prices are terrible compared to physical. If we are talking about outright buying the game.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
I would hardly call that a benefit of Game Pass. Even with the discount, the digital prices are terrible compared to physical. If we are talking about outright buying the game.
Depends on the game and how old it is doesn't it? Plus you can try something then buy the physical version without having to install a separate version like on PS4. Either way you have the option to buy it elsewhere or at a later time if you want.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
I would say Nintendo is the exception not the rule in this case.

Sure but Sony games this gen have been passing 10 million even new IP like Horizon. TLOU2 will sell beacoup numbers and break some records for Sony games.

They don't sell bonkzilla Nintendo numbers but they're doing very well.

How many people would buy both of those games at launch full price? And how many would buy more than that?

When someone is subscribed to Game Pass for a year (not counting promos), they would have payed more than those two games. I'm not saying that no one would subscribe and then cancel a few months later, but the plan is to get people to stay subscribed year over year, and a good way to do that is ensure them that they will have access to your first party games day one.

So, I would rather take guaranteed $120+ year over year. Fortunately, both of those options exist so you get to choose which is better for you. For me the decision was incredibly easy, but it still doesn't stop me from buying other games on all of the platforms.

Still Sony is betting that people will buy their games full price and aren't going to put them on a sub day 1 anytime soon. They think the games will sell, and they have been.

So it's like trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist. If the games sell just let them sell.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I'm so fucking excited for next gen I can't contain my excitement! PLEASE BRING IT HERE

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

I just signed up last year for a month to play The Outer Worlds, and then cancelled. Similarly with Origins and Jedi Fallen Order. Renting video games has been a thing since at least the mid 80s, and it's also the way I was able to play hundreds of games over the years that were nice enough for a single playthrough (or not even that good), yet not good enough for me to actually want to revisit in the future. Hmm, $5 vs $60+? In the event that I actually do like a game enough after having finished it that I want to buy it, I'll do that, and usually it's going to be discounted by that point, so I didn't really lose money overall.

I really slowed down with services like Gamefly or even Redbox though over the years since most of the select few games that I actually want to play anymore are few and far between, and I've mostly just been buying the games I've been highly anticipating like I normally do, which usually get multiple replays from me. I can't even think of a single game that's coming out this year that I really want to play that I would rather rent than own either. In two or three years though? Maybe, if Game Pass/day one is still a thing at that point.

Kawika

Nov 30, 2017
CCN.com click bait articles always find their way into my feed, and I always click thinking "huh! CNN?!".

Legit the point of their name. Your brain often process first and last letters of a word you read and fills in the rest. CCN & CNN look similar when you are dozing off looking at your feed.

Oct 25, 2017
have i mentioned lately just how much i despise myself for not having game pass?...
Funny, I'm the opposite. I despise myself for buying two years of Gold to turn into Game Pass (I'm on PC only), and I ended up not liking the service. €87 down the drain pretty much. I guess I get some cheap Microsoft games out of it, but Microsoft Store on PC is horrible.