• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
You really believe it can't be successful until you see the numbers? Devs...Microsoft accountants don't count?

There's nothing saying it can't be successful in that post. It's just that the successful argument on the journalistic piece is 100% based on MS saying they're doing okay lol

I mean, even the Epic Store is successful without numbers.

For its value, i'm pretty surprised atleast half of Xone's ownerbase probably didn't subscribed to game pass. A userbase of 25 million would be probably enough for gamepass to be really lucrative.

Tho it puts on perspective how many people probably gets a Xone/PS4 just to play Fifa or a single game.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
CCN is straight up trash when it comes to this subject. You should look at the other laughable articles that have been posted on Era.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hihi, I misread that as CNN...

Nevertheless....

What the author didn't take into consideration is that the increase in revenue from subs was not able to offset the revenus from software and hardware, like at all. Overall gaming revenues for MS is still down a whopping 21%.

Wups. Not like I care at all as long as the developers get their money. Otherwise that will change in the future and they will pull content. Microsoft pulls in enough money with their Cloud that they can offset the costs for everyone easily.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
There are different metrics of successful. A mobile game like Miitomo can be considered a flop because of how little money it made, but also can be a success if its main goal was to get people to sign up for Nintendo Accounts and provide market and customer behavior data to Nintendo.

GamePass can be considered a success since its the biggest thing the Xbox plattform has going for itself and its a very attractive service - - yet they dont share sub numbers or how much money people are spending there, so we will never have the full story or see how the sub engagement level evolve over times.

I have nothing against calling GamePass a success or people loving the service, but the moment you start calling out other services and call them successful - it gets a bit shaky. Sony provides PSNow sub numbers - we know where the service started and how it evolved.

Devs ?
What about devs ? Of course no devs that is on GamePass and getting paid is gonna badmouth the service - what about the other devs that were more critical about that kind of service ? Or the devs that arent invited to the GamePass party but at the same dont stand a chance of selling their games anywhere close of the intended price because of GamePass and how it affect the gamer spending behavior.

For all we know everything might be just as perfect as it seems - but personally i couldnt really evaluate the success of a subscription service compared to other services without knowing how many subscribers we are even talking about - and more importantly how much they are spending. How big is that GamePass business ?

All im gonna say - we would likely get less of these kind of articles if all relevant data on GamePass were public and would force people to have some more critical takes on that business and realize why only MS can or is willing to provide such a service at this point.

I bet Microsoft has metrics they show to the dev/pub when negotiating.

I'm also glad you admitted why you want the numbers. For comparisons sake. It's only successful if it's beating Sony.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
why are you being so obtuse on purpose?
Acting like MS' first party content is analogous to Sony's is being pretty obtuse I'd say.

Gamepass is the brand, it will take years for the comp to catch up.
Sony or Nintendo would "catch up" the first time they drop a major 1st party exclusive day one.

I agree. They are so in love with the idea of going silent for a very long time while their marketing for their other services and games suffer.
I doubt Sony is really focused on driving PSNow subs on the PS4. They also have a vested interest in people continuing to buy PS4s and games for PS4, obviously. They're in the best position to hold their next gen cards close to the vest, then when they do roll out things like PSNow can be signal boosted by new hardware, PS5 exclusives, etc..

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
TBF I see the same misconception on here all the time. Seems Sony really has a messaging problem with PS Now.

Here it might make more sense for people to not know, but if you want to be taken seriously in journalism, you should at least get basic facts about what you're talking about right

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I bet Microsoft has metrics they show to the dev/pub when negotiating.

I'm also glad you admitted why you want the numbers. For comparisons sake. It's only successful if it's beating Sony.
The metric that dev care about is $$$ - if the check is big enough the service could have 10 subscribers and it still had the same amount of games, if MS is willing to "bleed" for it.

If you wanna go ahead and believe companies when they say they are the best, biggest and No. 1 without providing numbers or backing it up in public....thats your decision, but dont be surprised when others take a more critical approach and question things.

If Nintendo stopped providing WiiU hw numbers the moment it was clear that it flopped and suddenly only started talking about the high attach rate of their big first party game, while calling it mayor success story. Then went ahead and combined WiiU+3DS hw numbers and shipments as "Nintendo consoles" etc. . Regardless of true or not...people would ask question - its always gonna be the case if the whole picture isnt painted.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Absolutely love it as a service - particularly as someone that's more time-poor than I was a few years ago, I love spinning up games I otherwise wouldn't have bothered with and playing them for a few hours (and more if I'm really enjoying them).

I don't think I would have played A Plague Tale if it wasn't on Game Pass.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Throwing filthy money at something because of unlimited coffers is hardly schooling. I appreciate what MS is doing as a customer, but it's clear they're competing on debt more than creation.
It's when Internet Explorer was "schooling" Netscape.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Game pass on the pc helps me figure out if ill like a game or not. If i like the game i end up buying it on steam.

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
Acting like MS' first party content is analogous to Sony's is being pretty obtuse I'd say.

If you're comparing the quality of the two publishers exclusives, that's another topic entirely. The "no PS games on game pass" dude was either being pedantic or couldn't infer the proper meaning. So obtuse is a pretty good description I'd say.

I like Game Pass because of how cheap it is and if Sony brought in a well-priced subscription service for their first-party games day and date, I'd be all over that. And TIL that PS Now has a download feature.

JeRzYzFyNeSt

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
User warned: Platform warring
Sony PS4 has been offering this with PS Now for Some time, never had a problem with lag on it either.. Xbox fan boys just gas up Game pass bc their really isnt much on the xbox..
and yes its probably more Successful then PS now i dont think Sony would be desperate enough to make it as low as $1 for a couple months.
people love Cheap/free

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
I hate that so many Gamepass threads get the Sony Too treatment because of PSNow. Gamepass is better in every way except in pure game count. PSNow has more lousy games available. Sony developed titles come and go from the service long after release whereas XGS titles come day 1 and stay creating a snowball of value. Xbox Gamepass is such a huge proposition for next gen. With your monthly sub you will have access to every XGS game on the series X. It's kind of crazy actually.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft is schooling the industry by offering up hundreds of games to play for $10 per month.

Next weeks article: Game sales are down.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
You would think it's that easy, but it's not

Running a successful service is more than just releasing games day 1.
I am pretty sure if Sony or Nintendo where giving away all of their exclusive games for 1$/month that would be a huge success, too. That alone would create millions of users. Gamepass mostly is a success because it's dead cheap and there were "tricks" to get subbed for years for small money.

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
Game pass on the pc helps me figure out if ill like a game or not. If i like the game i end up buying it on steam.

Game pass on the PC allows me to play games that were previously unavailable to me. And for the low-entry price of a subscription model. I do not feel like I have to "gamble" with $60 purchases.

Gears of War 5 crashes on me. I can't progress. I've not had a problem with a game like this since...the first Gears of War on PC many, many years go. It's disappointing, but I'm not nearly as mad as if I had purchased the game and it didn't work.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Gamepass is great for me and I dont feel the need to buy games until next year. I want to try PS Now, but I'm afraid it will taint my hopes for it. I want to get it for streaming Bloodborne, but if the experience is bad, both the game and the service will be forever bad for me.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
I am pretty sure if Sony or Nintendo where giving away all of their exclusive games for 1$/month that would be a huge success, too. That alone would create millions of users. Gamepass mostly is a success because it's dead cheap and there were "tricks" to get subbed for years for small money.
So if sony and Nintendo offer their Game for 1$ and become success IS it becouse of the Games or The Offer??

Nov 11, 2017
PS Now is basically the same right? If they want to compete, they can just put all their first party titles day 1 but as of now, their games are just selling like hotcakes at full price and they're making a lot of money.
Honestly no they aren't the same. Game pass offers the following that psnow doesn't either provide or consistently provide

1st party games day and date
Discounts on games that are in the service
Brand new games weekly
Free multiplayer( golds included)
Cross share service with gamepass pc

Honestly they aren't the same and shouldn't be compared as of right now

Rocco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
lol @ "it's not a success, we, the gamer don't know how much money Microsoft is making on it."

Didn't Phil tell y'all to mind ya business?

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Can't decide what's worse. A clickbait website with the name "CCN" to clearly trick people or console warriors pretending like they know more about the success of Gamepass than Microsoft, the developers, and the consumers who are all benefitting from the service.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
All I know, is I saw Sony do one advert for PS Now in peak season Q4 2019...probably to combat Stadia...which once the risk of stadia passed...has been radio silent.

XBox continue to really drive gamepass and advertise it constantly.