• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
It's Game Pass which is the real key to the value equation. When you subscribe to Game Pass you instantly gain access to a library of 200 games. Considering it only costs $9.99 a month, you could be subscribed for 5 months before you've spent anywhere near the price of a full game.

In that same amount of time, you could have played many, many more games than that one-time purchase would have given you. That doesn't even begin to account for the massive value of getting Game Pass Ultimate. Bundling Gold, and both Xbox and PC games together is a stroke of absolute genius.

It seems like Xbox's competitors are going to have to learn a thing or two if they want to compete in the upcoming generation. With Microsoft owning several great gaming studios, it's likely that the titles hitting Game Pass at launch will grow in number. Once that happens the gloves are really off.
Game Pass is going strong 💪

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
People still don't know that PS Now is basically gamepass with both a shit ton of downloadable PS4 games, and the ability to stream all available games. Currently using the free 7 day trial and it's fantastic.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Nice updated and well researched article i must say.

Anyway Gamepass is doing well.
I'm mostly annoyed they used the random 9.5m user figure that makes no sense by the numbers / would be something Microsoft is shouting from the rooftops if they made it there 9 months ago (which is why threads using it have been locked here in the past).

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Uh but psnow is not just a streaming service. You can also download tons of games too.

Im wondering of the author of the article actually even knows about the competitions services.

OP
OP
Mack

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
People still don't know that PS Now is basically gamepass with both a shit ton of downloadable PS4 games, and the ability to stream all available games. Currently using the free 7 day trial and it's fantastic.
PS Now doesn't let you play Sony first party games day 1.

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
Gamepass is like how peak Netflix used to be. Gotta enjoy it as much as we can before third parties start to pull their content.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
Hihi, I misread that as CNN...

Nevertheless....

• Xbox has posted an increase in revenue from subscriptions in Q2 of 2020.
  • This is despite massive drops in revenue from software and hardware sales.

What the author didn't take into consideration is that the increase in revenue from subs was not able to offset the revenus from software and hardware, like at all. Overall gaming revenues for MS is still down a whopping 21%.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
PS Now really, really needs a rebranding.
Probably. At the same time i think people don't understand that MS created this subs service because they were struggling to generate enough revenue from their first party titles.

On the other hand PS Now was created as a pure streaming service to enter in this "cloud" market. Sony has tried to change this service because real cloud gaming is years and years away.

Gamepass is a much more complete and better marketed product right now but i don't see why Sony should copy it looking at sales results from their games.

Oct 25, 2017
I clicked the meh button and was recommended an article about Meghan Markle being evil and that Taylor Swift should be less political. What is this site?

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Hihi, I misread that as CNN...

Nevertheless....

What the author didn't take into consideration is that the increase in revenue from subs was not able to offset the revenus from software and hardware, like at all. Overall gaming revenues for MS is still down a whopping 21%.

I positive that's why they separated those points. They weren't trying to make it sound like it did.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Game Pass has incredible value and is king as far as a game services go. But we know MS is probably losing a lot of money on this investment phase and we need to wait some years before treating it as successful or even sustainable in the long run.

It will probably shows its true strength in unison with their streaming service.

I don't think MS is schooling anyone here right now. Or atleast the real lesson begins with Series X/PC/Streaming/Possibly Lockhart integration on next gen.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
When you practically give it away it will hit high numbers. When my 1$ for 3 months end i won't be subbing again.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
How much subs does GamePass have at this point ? Everyone is calling it a mayor success but we dont even know how many people are subscribed to it or how much money is being spent on.

The service value is great and people love cheap games/stuff but alot of these headlines only work because MS isnt really forthcoming with all relevant data to make that call. Saying that its easier to call something a success when you only share limited information.

"Schools Gaming Industry" sounds a bit stupid - when the big players are eating just fine and have business models worked out that benefit them.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
They could have at least googled PSNow to verify their claims. It hasn't been an only-streaming service for quite some time. But who needs actual journalism these days.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
PS Now is basically the same right? If they want to compete, they can just put all their first party titles day 1 but as of now, their games are just selling like hotcakes at full price and they're making a lot of money.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
How much subs does GamePass have at this point ? Everyone is calling it a mayor success but we dont even know how many people are subscribed to it or how much money is being spent on.

The service value is great and people love cheap games/stuff but alot of these headlines only work because MS isnt really forthcoming with all relevant data to make that call. Saying that its easier to call something a success when you only share limited information.

"Schools Gaming Industry" sounds a bit stupid - when the big players are eating just fine and have business models worked out that benefit them.

You really believe it can't be successful until you see the numbers? Devs...Microsoft accountants don't count?

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
They've been losing money a lot, and Xbox is like the only MS division that is operating in loss.

Gamepass is amazing and great for customers, but I'm sure they will make some changes soon enough to turn around some profit. Perhaps increase prices/get rid of cheap offers or atleast not have them go for sale as often.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
CCN.com click bait articles always find their way into my feed, and I always click thinking "huh! CNN?!".

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Probably. At the same time i think people don't understand that MS created this subs service because they were struggling to generate enough revenue from their first party titles.

Office 365 wasn't created because Microsoft Was struggling to generate revenue from standalone Office sales.

adobe creative cloud wasn't created because people stopped buying Adobe software.

The likes of Halo 5, Gears 4 and Forza Horizon weren't commercial failures. So im not seeing the basis for your 'struggling' claim.

Much of the tech industry is veering towards embracing subscriptions as a way of ensuring a constant cash stream.

Jun 23, 2019
Whoof. This article comes across more like an ad than anything else. While it's an amazing value for consumers, I highly doubt it's making money for MS at the present especially with their profits being down as we just learned recently. Not too sure where the author was getting his info from.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
You really believe it can't be successful until you see the numbers? Devs...Microsoft accountants don't count?
There are different metrics of successful. A mobile game like Miitomo can be considered a flop because of how little money it made, but also can be a success if its main goal was to get people to sign up for Nintendo Accounts and provide market and customer behavior data to Nintendo.

GamePass can be considered a success since its the biggest thing the Xbox plattform has going for itself and its a very attractive service - - yet they dont share sub numbers or how much money people are spending there, so we will never have the full story or see how the sub engagement level evolve over times.

I have nothing against calling GamePass a success or people loving the service, but the moment you start calling out other services and call them successful - it gets a bit shaky. Sony provides PSNow sub numbers - we know where the service started and how it evolved.

Devs ?
What about devs ? Of course no devs that is on GamePass and getting paid is gonna badmouth the service - what about the other devs that were more critical about that kind of service ? Or the devs that arent invited to the GamePass party but at the same dont stand a chance of selling their games anywhere close of the intended price because of GamePass and how it affect the gamer spending behavior.

For all we know everything might be just as perfect as it seems - but personally i couldnt really evaluate the success of a subscription service compared to other services without knowing how many subscribers we are even talking about - and more importantly how much they are spending. How big is that GamePass business ?

All im gonna say - we would likely get less of these kind of articles if all relevant data on GamePass were public and would force people to have some more critical takes on that business and realize why only MS can or is willing to provide such a service at this point.