• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I could believe it, if only because the whole Republican Party is complicit and this might be enough of a wake up call for them that they might consider cutting off Trump to pin most/all of it on him.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I don't believe this for a second. I think if it was to happen though it would make it so that he can't run again right?

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
I thought it doesn't need votes, it can be performed by Vice President? We're not talking impeachment articles into removal.
The Cabinet and VP need to vote to invoke the 25th, iirc.

There are several sections to the 25th. The one that has never been used is the 4th one where the President is declared incapable to perform his duties. This one requires the Cabinet and VP to sign a letter stating so.

Last edited:

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
is there anything preventing an impeached/removed president from running again? cause if so even if only 2 weeks, fuck him trying to run again

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guess this adds to the oddity that the VP called in the National Guard, something that unless I'm mistaken, only a POTUS can do?

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Would this prevent him from running in 2024? That's the main reason I could see this happening now.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Impeaching him does not remove him from office for the next 14 days. Does anyone trust this lunatic with the nukes?
impeachment allows you to go for "disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States"

which sounds pretty good to me considering he could theoretically run for office again next time

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Trump would be smart enough to know he can just rescind the 25th by saying he rescinds it.

Would this prevent him from running in 2024? That's the main reason I could see this happening now.

Nope. It's used when the President is basically not conscious usually for the VP to take temporary control.

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
4 years too late in my humble opinion. It was VERY obvious from day 0 that Trump was not mentally qualified for the position.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Neither Pence nor McConnell acknowledged that Trump incited any violence during their Senate speeches.

They won't remove Trump.

In fact, none of the GoP senator thus far have laid any blame at Trump's feet. They're all playing it off as a rogue band of violent protestors.

strikeselect

Oct 27, 2017
Is this like Susan Collins level of concern?

We need details.

usoV5Fw.jpg

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
The 25th amendment is nothing this late in the game

the worst this would go for trump is that pence and co. would say he's unable to discharge the duties of the office, Trump would send notification that he can, then it would go to congress which has up to 21 days to decide what to do, at which point they'd just run the clock out

I actually think there's a good chance this is a misdirect to avoid a second impeachment, because impeachment can remove you from eligibility for public office, while being hit by the 25th amendment means he can run again
It does strip him of pardon power for the rest of the time which means he'll be swimming in it so bad when he leaves

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Two weeks before he has to go? Nah, they'll wait it out cuz they've been cowards for these last 4 years when it came to Trump and now they grow a spine? No way.

looprider

Oct 27, 2017
The season premiere of America is lit

but seriously it's about fucking time. These enablers are all criminals. It's a shameful day for this country.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I'm unfamiliar with invoking the 25th. I thought only Congress could invoke it? What significance does cabinet invoking it mean?

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
is there anything preventing an impeached/removed president from running again? cause if so even if only 2 weeks, fuck him trying to run again

Senate can vote to ban an impeached person from holding public office for life.

It does strip him of pardon power for the rest of the time which means he'll be swimming in it so bad when he leaves

In any scenario where Trump is removed before election day, Pence would pardon him and his family/friends immediately. It's the GOP way.

Feb 4, 2018

the worst this would go for trump is that pence and co. would say he's unable to discharge the duties of the office, Trump would send notification that he can, then it would go to congress which has up to 21 days to decide what to do, at which point they'd just run the clock out

I actually think there's a good chance this is a misdirect to avoid a second impeachment, because impeachment can remove you from eligibility for public office, while being hit by the 25th amendment means he can run again
Yup, he needs to be disqualified from ever holding public office again.

grand

Oct 25, 2017

The 21 days is to give Congress time to impeach the President. They can both move power to acting President Pence and start impeaching Trump

Jun 20, 2019
In the "what if Republicans were still self-serving two-faced assholes but decided it was in their best interest to banish Trumpism rather than steer into it" scenario Trump would be impeached and removed before the 20th. Why? To trigger the provision that a removed official can never hold high office again. That could finally put Trumpism in the grave.

Invoking the 25th does almost nothing. He will still be able to tweet (if he gets unbanned), call into talk shows, make media appearances, attend rallies... basically all of the tools of mass media he's been using all along. The only thing of consequence it accomplishes is preventing him hiring/firing people and issuing pardons.

Neither of these scenarios are realistic because the Republican leadership don't really feel under threat so they see no reason to change course.

May 15, 2019
Tbh, as much as I'd like to see the 25th amendment used, I really don't see it happening. I'm seeing so many right wing individuals say things like "This was done by Antifa" and "they dressed up as Trump protesters to make them look bad." I'm annoyed by the way people think and don't see the mounting/truthful evidence that this WAS done by trump protesters. Trump needs to go, but I just don't see this going through.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The GOP love fantasizing about doing the right thing just before falling back to old habits.

They also love telling the press about these fantasies.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
I expect nothing from people who enabled a traitor for this long. They're in so deep into their complicity that I doubt they have the character to do now what clearly needed to be done years ago.
They could see it as a way to wash their hands.

My concern is, if this happened, what if Pence uses these days to pardon Trump? It's only a few more days and I'd rather see him in prison than removed from office with a pardon.

Oct 25, 2017
The GOP love fantasizing about doing the right thing just before falling back to old habits.

They also love telling the press about these fantasies.
Yep. This is the shit that is so damned frustrating, I'm seeing it left/right on social media too. People are all the sudden coming to their senses and asking people just to understand and forget. Fuck that noise. I want a damned MAGA brand on your forehead.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"It was really ANTIFA who stormed the Capitol today!"

So you agree, it was a bad thing that the Capitol was stormed?"

"Lol no the Capitol deserved it, Trump was robbed viva la revolution."

So the people that stormed Congress were against storming Congress but MAGA supports storming Congress in general?

"As I said, only ANTIFA could've stormed Congress to make us look bad."

But you agree with the storming?

"Yes, the storming was great."

The Trump Supporter Circle of Logic