• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
If this announcement is covid or vaccine-related, my money is on something logistics-related, since that's the biggest problem: executing distribution.

Tim Apple is a logistics and operations guy. My understanding is that he was so fucking good at fattening profit margins and he generated so much money as a COO they just couldn't let him go. That's why he's the head of Apple now even though he's not a jobs or a musk type selfish psycho dreamer.

edit: People mentioned this will be unveiled on gayle king and several people guessed a way to make sure no vaccine doses get wasted, maybe? I'd love to get in line for leftover vaccine.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
They're bringing back the 500gb iPod Video but with a USB-C connector :D

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I presume it's some kind of charitable endeavor. Probably environmentally-related.

If it's a piece of tech (but not a product), it could be some kind of battery breakthrough that will power their future phones and cars.

I don't think it will be any thing COVID related.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Apple's Reservation system is pretty great. Would love to see them involved with vaccine distribution. If they can get 10m iPhones to people in 24 hours they certainly have something to offer.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
AirPod Shotty to be new weapon Apple guards will be armed with

not being sold so it doesn't count as a new product

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if they could create a system to help identify those who have gotten the vaccine with some kind of Apple Wallet card or something. I feel like vaccine verification is going to be important in the coming year.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Vaccine distributoon at apple stores seems very low likelihood. They're too small, there's frequently no parking, and they have none of the things regarding ADA compliancy that typical medical centers have. They're inconvenient for anything other than shopping. The stores are regularly over crowded for no reason let along during a pandemic with vaccine distribution.

If it's virus related it could maybe be a sign up app for the vaccine or some reminder or new vaccine validation app maybe.

GG-Duo

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah probably like a billion dollars to fight misinformation or climate change or something

jizzywinks

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I was leaning towards stores as vaccination centres till Gurman cast doubt on it. Whatever it is, it's likely something they see as a social or environmental good if thIs is how they're choosing to announce it.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
I think product accessibility for home-schooling or wide availability of iMessage in the face of Facebook's WhatsApp announcement.

Both are good initiatives that will allow for product/service growth without launching anything new per-se.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
iMessage for Android wouldn't be a new product, technically, and it would make sense to hasten a release if this was already planned, given the WhatsApp stuff.

Still, I expect a more institutional / social announcement seems way more likely.

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
what fucking hellworld do we live in if "vaccines at apple store" is genuinely something people are wanting

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
what fucking hellworld do we live in if "vaccines at apple store" is genuinely something people are wanting
To be fair they do have a lot of stores in key locations that are easy for many people to access in urban environments, and have a ton of infrastructure along with distribution chain knowhow that makes them quite able to have a major impact if they decide to throw their weight behind such a program.

Is it how things should ideally be done, absolutely not, but it's an unprecedented time in human history.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
This is the announcement
www.macrumors.com

Apple Launches New Nationwide Racial Equity and Justice Initiative Projects

Apple today announced a set of new projects as part of its $100 million Racial Equity and Justice Initiative (REJI) to help dismantle systemic...

The comments under the article are just as you expect...

Great, and sad that the last year shows that the US is so broken corporate actors have stepped up more so than our government. Less out of the kindness of their hearts, but even they know the system is not sustainable the way it is.

Good for Apple.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Pretty cool to see. The Apple Developer Academy seems like a good springboard open to all. Generally you could say that about most coding things but having a door right there will help.

Oct 27, 2017
I guess something is better than nothing, but in the realm of things Apple have the money & influence to accomplish this is not very much.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The comments on that MacRumors article are great lol.

Almost a beat-for-beat cliche of "mAyBe WhItE pEoPlE aRe ThE nEw OpPrEsSeD gRoUp".

No wonder Trump's appeals to white grievance and ethnocentric social hierarchy are as effective as they are.

Also the immense entitlement coming from some people on Twitter for being disappointed that this isn't some dumb hardware announcement is just... 😙🤌

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
This is the announcement
www.macrumors.com

Apple Launches New Nationwide Racial Equity and Justice Initiative Projects

Apple today announced a set of new projects as part of its $100 million Racial Equity and Justice Initiative (REJI) to help dismantle systemic...

The comments under the article are just as you expect...
It's good, but I feel the human slavery in their supply chain is probably a more pressing thing they need to address. Maybe that's just me.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad they're focusing a lot of effort on getting money to these companies that support minority owned small business owners as well as individuals who need mortgages and other non-predatory loans.

With money comes power and influence. Without accesss to loans, no money can be earned, thus no power can be earned.