• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
So, I heard about a couple of brands of CBD products from podcast advertisements.
I hate to seem gullible but I just assumed, what with the increasing legalization of marijuana adjacent products, that this stuff was legit.

In trying to find a recent thread, I've seen some comments calling it out as snake oil, but I'd like to hear some recent thoughts.

I'd be looking to take an edge off anxiety as I have a lot of stomach issues related to stress.. But if CBD is in the same ball park as the thousands of other extracts and natural remedy crap lining shelves in a drugstore, I don't think I'd bother..

Thoughts? Experiences?

Thanks.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
it's a great marketing opportunity, let me leave you some brochures OP

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
I may be a scam, but I don't understand the stigma. Any "decent" advertised product has nearly zero thc, so it's not like you're getting high. They hear cannabis and think weeeeeeeed.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
100% a scam

i've tried a bunch of cbd stuff, oils, gummies, vaping all in various amounts and it's never once helped relax me or anything. pure snake oil imo

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
I've heard it help far too many people (especially for pain) to disregard it entirely but it's very dependent on individual body chemistry and especially the brand you get.

Vark

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the dosage. Usually the little oil tinctures with something like 50mg for the entire bottle aren't going to do anything since the dosage is almost nothing.

I have some pills that are 40mg each and those definitely have an effect. About as much of a pain killer as a couple of Advil and it takes the edge off of stress. If I take it right before bed I have crazy vivid dreams and sleep really well.

Vaping it is usually potent as well but harder to dose and it depends on the strain.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
My grandmother hasn't slept well in 30 years. She started taking CBD pills when I started taking THC pills and she's slept ever since.

It might be a placebo effect but she's tried lots of shit over the years with no joy. So she's not stopping and I'm glad she's on them. Take that for what it's worth.

zooj

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ames, IA
I have felt some effects from CBD tinctures before, so I wouldn't say it's a complete scam.

however, products of this nature are going to be highly variable in quality and effectiveness. Hemp products are essentially the economic wild west and should be considered as such until growing and utilization methods are standardized.

also, as anything with a psychoactive component, those effects are going to be highly subjective

Oct 27, 2017
Microdosing a heavy indica strain would get you what everyone thinks cbd is supposed to do without any kind of unbearable high.

Oct 27, 2017
CBD/hemp flower is the way to go. It looks and smells like "weed" (because it basically is cannabis) but it's doesn't get you high. It can be like 25% CBD and only 0.3% THC. Smoke it, dry herb vape it, make some homemade edibles/butter and cook with it. You might get a nice buzz, but it's mostly for pain relief, muscle relaxation, sleep problems, anxiety relief, helps people with certain medical/health conditions, etc. It's natural medicine.

That being said, I wouldn't trust what goes in most "cbd oil" like vape pens if you live in an illegal state like Texas. Same with tongue droppers or even gummies. Especially if it's not coming straight from a state like oregon or colorado or california, or even canada. These local "CBD" shops may be legal in most states, but the only way you know you're getting something legitimate is if it's unprocessed and natural like hemp flower.

bry

Oct 27, 2017
I've used CBD bud in a dry flower vape and it deff has effects lol.
Sleeping, anti anxiety and just relaxed.
Never tried tinctures or gummies but if you try it try reputable sources.
Not something off a deli counter lol

collige

Oct 31, 2017
CBD isn't on the market because of marijuana, it's on the market because Mitch McConnell wanted to help Kentucky's hemp industry when Trump passed his big farm bill.

There's fairly limited research on its efficacy and I don't think any of the over the counter products have a high enough dosage to be effective (apparently because it's technically only allowed to be sold as a skin product, TIL). I also think you have to be injesting by mouth to get any sort of proven effects anyway.

Last edited:

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
Microdosing a heavy indica strain would get you what everyone thinks cbd is supposed to do without any kind of unbearable high.

This is my recommendation if it's an option that works for people and their adherence to local laws, employee testing, etc. A tincture can let you accurately dose out enough to relax without getting high.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
It seems to increase the effect of other gabaergic drugs. So I would avoid alcohol or other depressents if you're taking CBD.

Also, it cannabidiolic acid isn't really psychoactive unless it's heated, so a lot of the stuff in stores isn't going to have any effect if it wasn't processed into CBD. I think that's why it has such a bad reputation.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
My wife bought some earlier this year and due a delay in shipment I ended up nabbing her some CBD oil from a nearby cannabis store. The stuff she ultimately received (hemp-based) seems to do nothing for her but the actual cannabis oil (not sure of percentages but it has next to no THC) does help her to relax and seems to help her migraines. It also tastes very much like weed.

I find neither does much of anything for me. The high THC oil/spray and pens, however...those I like.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
Its about as effective as having other herbal remedies like chamomile tea.

and thats not to say its snake oil. plenty of times chamomile has come in clutch for me when I had a stomach ache or restless

if your intent is to feel an effect that makes you feel better, youre much more better off consuming THC.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
CBD/hemp flower is the way to go. It looks and smells like "weed" (because it basically is cannabis) but it's doesn't get you high.

That would be the worst of both worlds - I only put up with the weed smoke and smell because it gets you high (or I just take edibles and skip the smoke part entirely).

Overall, CBD is pretty much a scam - a way to sell non-functional 'weed-adjacent' product to people in places where you can't otherwise legally buy weed.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
From what little I've read on it, CBD can have an actual effect on your body, but most of the pills and creams have so little of it that it won't do anything.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
My sister and her father-ion-law swear by it, CBD oil and cream. I bought a small vile and it did nothing for me. Upped my dosage, took it a variety of ways etc, no dice.

Operations

Oct 29, 2017
It's only useful for a weed hangover, when you go wild with edibles. CBD helps you neuter the grogginess and lethargy of the next day that occurs when consuming too much THC.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
A lot of sellers make up ridiculous claims about what it can do, but CBD absolutely does have benefits, including as an anxyolitic (which is why I use it). But just like with other supplements, you want to make sure the product you're getting matches what's on the label. I subscribe to ConsumerLab for supplement analyses.

CBD does not get you high, though.

EDIT: Furthermore, you can just google "NIH CBD anxiety" for more reliable information than any of us can give you.

For example:
pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

Use of cannabidiol in anxiety and anxiety-related disorders - PubMed

CBD has a promising role as alternative therapy in the management of anxiety disorders. However, more studies with standardized approaches to dosing and clinical outcome measurements are needed to determine the appropriate dosing strategy for CBD and its place in therapy.

Last edited:

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
I believe that it help some people with seizures, but as far as feeling relaxed, less anxious or relieving pain I think it does nothing based on my experience when it started showing up in dispensaries.

basically YMMV

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
i have some bath salts I use when i lay in the tub with my bubbles but I can't tell you if it is any good. It was on sale.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I take some gummies to help me sleep. I'm like a damned rock when I do vs waking up 2 to 3 times a night.

Edit: 250mg, apparently

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My only experience is with topical CBD from a weed dispensary. Helped reduce inflammation in a couple of my fingers, which allowed me to do some joint exercises daily. After a few months I saw significant improvement.

I previously had pretty serious joint issues from work over the years, and had hadn't made any real progress trying to do PT. With the CBD the pain went from around a constant 5-6 to almost nothing, and allowed a higher range of motion for a few hours. Combined with the PT I saw a huge improvement, and have little pain in my fingers regularly now. Not magic on its own, but was a significant help.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
It definitely takes the edge off a bit in my head when I take it. I've actually inadvertently gotten "high" off of it at work, whatever the effect may be. It's very much real to me because I forgot I took it when I felt the effects.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I've only tried CBD oil a handful of times.

But, based on my experience, it seemed to function very similar to melatonin? In that there was no noticeable active effect for me, but putting a few drops of CBD in a cup of tea before bed (which is the only way I've tried it), I definitely settled in and fell into deep sleep a lot quicker than I usually do.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
I've bought Liberty Brand Hemp cbd vape cartridges. It's a legit company and I've bought at a store (Madison WI) and from their website. Sorry to anyone who insists that it's just a placebo, but this stuff is definitely not. It's by far the best line of CBD products I've ever had, although they are pricey.

But then weed became legal across the border, so...you know....

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
My wife takes those cbd gummies and says it helps with her anxiety. I have just assumed it's probably mostly a placebo effect, but if taking it helps her, then who am I to judge?

LordValhalla

Jan 9, 2018
I got some a while back for anxiety and it kinda helps. Its not the same as smoking weed for reducing anxiety, but if you live in a state that doesn't have medicinal or recreational marijuana, its worth a try. I do fall asleep quicker on CBD, but I don't see a reduction in anxiety when I take it during the day.
Thats just me though.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
images

Weston

Oct 29, 2017
I swear I sleep more soundly after taking CBD. I've considered that it could be placebo and if it is I don't want to know. I tried a different brand and it didn't do anything for me so idk.

My sister had a lot of nerve pain from an injury and she said CBD helped her a lot.

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
I've had mixed success with CBD gummies, and tinctures, but I absolutely notice a difference when vaping flower. Pain relief, slight body tingling, generally improved mood and lessened anxiety. Cannaflower has some good stuff

That's not to say edibles are snake oil, but I think it's harder to find the right product when fighting varying levels of dosages and things like weaker hemp oils

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It definitely worked for me. I got it as a spray that you sprayed under your tongue. It'd really help me to fall asleep

Oct 27, 2017
I take the oil and put about 15 drops under my tongue every night. It absolutely makes me tired and I've never had better sleep. My wife didn't want to try it for the longest but always wakes up 2-3 times a night. She finally asked to try some and The first night she used it she slept 6 hours straight and has used it ever since. We can't even go on vacation without it now lol

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
my business got pitched some cbd stuff and we got a sample box. i tried an oral liquid that was supposed to help you fall asleep (i dont have problems with sleeping) and it worked. i felt relaxed and pretty sleepy. never tried any of the topical cream stuff. but yeah, we never ordered the stuff.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I think CBD by itself is pretty useless for the average person. I literally felt no benefits at all, I rather just take it with THC. For sleep I rather take melatonin since it's cheaper.

hom3land

Oct 27, 2017
While on the topic.. I just started hearing about Delta 8. Does anyone use it? Have no interest in using it myself just curious if it actually works. Nationally Legal THC seems dubious.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
It seemed to help me chill a bit but I'm not sure

Got a prescription for Xanax and haven't tried CBD since