• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
It's his name, he's proud of it, and he wants it on his Saskatchewan licence plate.

But Dave Assman of Melville, Sask., says SGI has rejected his request to allow him to use "Assman" on a personalized plate, calling it an "unacceptable slogan."

"It's my last name, I've always had it," he said, of the name with German roots, that he pronounces as "Oss-men."

"I'm not ashamed of it. There's nothing bad about it."

In 1995, the name even sparked its own "Assmania" craze, when late-night talk show host David Letterman found and interviewed a Saskatchewan gas station worker and manager by the name of Dick Assman.

That Assman is a distant relative to Dave Assman, who said the family has other Assman relatives sprinkled through Saskatchewan.

His great-grandfather's legacy

For Assman, the name is important, because it's one he shares with his great-grandfather, whom he's learned was a well-off farmer from Neudorf, Sask.

"Farmers would come in the early '30s and they borrowed money from him," he said. "Instead of him foreclosing on their land, he just either forgave it, or let them pay when they could."

This week, he called SGI for an explanation on why his name was rejected and was told it could be misread and cause offence. He chalks up that answer to "too many hurt feeling reports given out."

Assman rejection upheld

SGI spokesperson Tyler McMurchy said SGI does have guidelines for slogans, and pointed to its website, which says SGI won't approve licence plates the general public may find "offensive, suggestive or not in good taste."

"Even if a word is someone's name and pronounced differently than the offensive version, that's not something that would be apparent to other motorists who will see the plate," he said in an email.

The personalized licence plate review committee, made up of employees, will review if people appeal a decision, but McMurchy said the committee has upheld a decision to reject "Assman" in the past.

Assman says he'd like to get his personalized licence plate but he's not holding his breath.

"I don't think that's going to happen, because SGI is SGI. They'll do what they want anyway."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sask...ment-insurance-assman-license-plate-1.5008302

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
assman.jpg

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
The people who would deny this were obviously old enough to have seen Seinfeld. How could anyone who has seen it deny the man his plate? Like he is the Assman.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah by rejecting it they are basically saying that he should be ashamed of his God given name.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Dick Assman? That's... yeah. Well, at least Dave's proud of his last name.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
In hindi, the word "Asman" (where the 'A's are pronounced as "Uh") means 'Sky'. If the guy was of Indian heritage then he could probably challenge that ruling (even with that extra bootylicious 'S").

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Imagine being an Assman and naming your child Dick.

Delivering lifelong ownage when your kid is still a baby.

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
I'm glad my home province of Saskatchewan has hit the news for this reason. Truly a news story worthy of us. Also greatly appreciate the billy Gunn themes posted already. You're good people.

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Hey you guys, a similar situation was on an episode of the hit tv show Seinfeld. One in which the character of Cosmo Kramer gets ASSMAN license plates by an way of a comical error made by the NYC DMV.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
My friends used to live next to the Cumashot family this dude aint got nothing on them?

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Folks need to learn to accept the fact that some things are out of reach for certain people.

joedick

Mar 19, 2018
I'm so glad we've solved all the problems in the world so that I can now focus in on whether or not this guy gets his vanity plate.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been reading comments from local saskatchewan news and man people are so whiny about this. Makes me shake my head.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Damn I need to start reading Prison School again, I fell off of it when around when the anime came out. Going to be a fun read.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Damn I need to start reading Prison School again, I fell off of it when around when the anime came out. Going to be a fun read.
Gotta tell you that literally every single person who kept up with this series was filled with regret and disappointment after finishing it. To save you the heart-wrenching.

The anime covered the best of it. Kinda good to imagine it just ended there.