• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
Just installed a ring doorbell and caught a neighboor yelling at a car that he thought was about to run a stop sign and hit him.

People running stop signs has been an ongoing problem in the neighbourhood since forever and I can use these videos as proof of the problem.

Anyone else catch anything on their ring doorbells or other cams around their home?

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
This one time I caught my wedding ring on my doorbell. Damn thing nearly ripped off my finger

Killzig

Oct 25, 2017
That dude was 100% about to paste your neighbor and his dog. He slammed those brakes. My mom has one of these and the only thing she ever catches is my dad walking out to look at the weather / talk to the neighbors. It drives her up the wall but she refuses to turn off the motion notifications on her phone.

hurlex

Oct 25, 2017
one of the dirty secrets of suburban living is that traffic safety is actually worse than urban areas. while speed limits are low and roads are windy, people assume nothing is going on and drive more carelessly. this leads to more accidents than urban areas where drivers tend to be more alert and drive safer

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
My Brothers neighbours Ring helped catch some idiots that had been breaking into local houses. The camera could show them breaking into another neighbours house across the way and then them walking right past a little later. They put that shit on facebook and the burglars were caught within the day.

I'm still not getting one though.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
I saw someone I used to be friends with wandering homeless with a knife in another state on ring cam

OP
OP
onyx

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
Ring doorbells are for wankers mate.

Do not buy Ring products. Amazon is building a private surveillance network and sharing your data with the police

I already knew about this and didn't have an issue with it. The few encounters I had with cops in my area have been fine. I'm a large black man living in a small Georgia town so that's saying something.

Plus my wife really wanted one and we tend to spoil each other.

one of the dirty secrets of suburban living is that traffic safety is actually worse than urban areas. while speed limits are low and roads are windy, people assume nothing is going on and drive more carelessly. this leads to more accidents than urban areas where drivers tend to be more alert and drive safer

So true. I grew up in a city and driving in the brubs is just awful. People run stop signs, traffic lights, drive on the wrong side of the road, and don't move out of the way of emergency vehicles so often that I sometimes wonder if I'm the one that's driving wrong.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's better to have your body intact/crash free than any payout from a court or insurance settlement.

Just assume every driver is drunk/high/texting and avoid crossing their paths if at all possible.

I try to make eye-contact with drivers when crossing streets, but at night it's impossible.

RedBlue

Oct 27, 2017
Queens, NY
i am part of my area block association fb group and people post video's from their doorbell cam all the time. Catch people checking car doors, taking packages, ringing doorbells because they are not all there, taking a shit on the sidewalk. A lot of stuff.

i can agree with this, but i think saying drivers drive safer is misleading or not entirely accurate. I live in NYC now and cant leave the house without seeing someone do something stupid in the car. In NH, i could drive to the store and back and not witness shitty driving. no doubt because i see less traffic and drivers in NH. I will agree that drivers in the city have to bmore alert because there is a lot more traffic.

Oct 25, 2017
Are they easy to install? I don't have any other Amazon smart products, Google makes an equivalent as well, right?

Edit - I just watched an install video and I'd need to drill holes and figure out what kind of transformer I have? Whaaa. The doorbell goes ding dong, that's all I know about it

Last edited:

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
i dont have one, but have gone down a rabbit hole of scary doorbell videos before. some of this shit is truly terrifying(but maybe fake)

OP
OP
onyx

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
Are they easy to install? I don't have any other Amazon smart products, Google makes an equivalent as well, right?

Edit - I just watched an install video and I'd need to drill holes and figure out what kind of transformer I have? Whaaa. The doorbell goes ding dong, that's all I know about it

I am in no way a handyman and it took me about 10 minutes to install. I didn't have to drill any holes. Just shut off the power to the old door bell and installed the ring. My old bell was on a wood panel and it was pretty east to just twist the screws in with a plain ole screw driver.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I have a nest hello, and there were two canvassers who came to my door a few weeks ago when I wasn't home, and while they waited for me to (not) answer the door, they had a very wonderful conversation about some girl that one of them wanted to 'smash and all the things he wanted to do to this girl, while the other guy was SUPER interested in the thought of his friend getting with this chick.

I wish I had saved it, I don't think my history goes back more than a week.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I did catch this Amazon delivery guy lose all sense of spatial awareness though:

This is just voyeuristic. That guy didn't consent to that while doing his job that your just posting a random video of him.

Don't post random videos of people on the internet without their consent!

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I generally think its creepy to post videos of people just randomly, not knowing they're being watched have that permanently saved online. Unless its a public event or something of public interest. Why do you think all those reality shows have to get people's consent? Its also screwed up when people profit off these videos.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah. I generally think its creepy to post videos of people just randomly, not knowing they're being watched have that permanently saved online. Unless its a public event or something of public interest. Why do you think all those reality shows have to get people's consent? Its also screwed up when people profit off these videos.

cool. I'm not profiting from this, and it's not like the doorbells are inconspicuous. I have plenty of visible cameras around my property, with posted signage on the door that they are recording (all nest cameras come with a window sticker for this purpose).

Senator Toadstool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
cool. I'm not profiting from this, and it's not like the doorbells are inconspicuous. I have plenty of visible cameras around my property, with posted signage on the door that my property is monitored.
I'm not trying to say you're a bad guy and marking that you area is monitored I think is enough (it certainly is legally as there's dual party consent) just I see a lot of people not realizing how much can go viral and the internet is forever.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm not trying to say you're a bad guy and marking that you area is monitored I think is enough (it certainly is legally as there's dual party consent) just I see a lot of people not realizing how much can go viral and the internet is forever.

Oh I'm well aware, I haven't shared this video outside of this thread - and it's unlisted for an added layer of obscurity.
It's chuckle worthy at least.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Not seeing the problem.

Nothing in that article paints a bad picture.
I'm a bit bothered by the level of integration of Ring and police PR. They're communicating like the police are their salesforce, not law enforcement. Amazon/Ring should not be directly telling officers what to talk about to increase sales, and dictating police PR.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
I'm a bit bothered by the level of integration of Ring and police PR. They're communicating like the police are their salesforce, not law enforcement. Amazon/Ring should not be directly telling officers what to talk about to increase sales, and dictating police PR.

Any company that is having PR statements released would do the exact same. It's a sensationalist article trying to strike fear.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Someone caught this. Does it count?

If that video's from their home, why is the kid taking it down the sidewalk, away from the house? The video is obviously from a neighbor's house and the kid is retrieving a can that was blown far away from his home. His journey is just beginning.

What sins did this modern Sisyphus commit to deserve such punishment?