• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you like cats or dogs more?

• Cats

Votes: 564 53.8%
  • Dogs

Votes: 484 46.2%

• Total voters

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
First the worst, second the best.

I love it. It's a cute topic and I'm genuinely surprised at the results. I grew up with a dog and I always thought I'd be a dog person. But it wasn't until recent years I took in a cat and he changed my perception about what cats are really like.

Love them both, obviously. Just a fun topic. However, most people I meet and know definitely prefer dogs.

megabyte

Oct 25, 2017
Something I haven't seen people mention is the seriousness of the difference between cats and dogs when it comes to a good example and a bad one.

A 'bad' cat will typically either be scared and run away or will hiss/growl but will try to avoid you. You do get extremely rare examples of cats actively and repeatedly attacking people but those are very uncommon.

A 'bad' dog however can have you fearing for your life. I grew up with a couple of dogs who were lovely so I don't have any built in fear but there have been quite a few dogs that I really didn't feel comfortable being around. They can attempt to be dominant with you and can be extremely dangerous. My in laws had more than one dog that they didn't actively treat badly, didn't hit it or anything like that but because the dogs weren't thoroughly trained, they were clearly capable of being dangerous and in the end, one bit someone and they were forced to have it put down.

Of course this isn't representative of all or most dogs, but I would always prefer my chances with a 'bad' cat than a 'bad' dog.
And the "best" dogs are service animals and saving owners from aggressive wildlife, fires, or intruders.

The "best" cat is a friendly pet.

I've never been bitten by a dog, but the family cat scratched up my face as a toddler and I've still got the scar. This can go both ways.

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
I used to be #teamcats until my boy came into my life:

zkk5O2P.jpg

King Dodongo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I finally got around to knowing cats

I hate them even more now

I only tolerante them because they get rid of rats

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
And the "best" dogs are service animals and saving owners from aggressive wildlife, fires, or intruders.

The "best" cat is a friendly pet.

I've never been bitten by a dog, but the family cat scratched up my face as a toddler and I've still got the scar. This can go both ways.
I wasn't saying dogs can't be great, of course they can, but the difference between the two when you come to problematic examples is stark.

Yes the cat scratched your face but dogs can rip races off and potentially maim/kill you. This also isn't some extremely rare occurrence but something that happens a lot. It also isn't solely down to abusive owners who have treated them badly or trained them to attack people but can all be down to just the dog not being disciplined and trained throughout its life.

Again, I'm not saying dogs are bad because they aren't but again, I would risk getting scratched by a cat compared to being with a dog who is attempting to scare/dominate me and is on the verge of attacking any day of the week.

megabyte

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't saying dogs can't be great, of course they can, but the difference between the two when you come to problematic examples is stark.

Yes the cat scratched your face but dogs can rip races off and potentially maim/kill you. This also isn't some extremely rare occurrence but something that happens a lot. It also isn't solely down to abusive owners who have treated them badly or trained them to attack people but can all be down to just the dog not being disciplined and trained throughout its life.

Again, I'm not saying dogs are bad because they aren't but again, I would risk getting scratched by a cat compared to being with a dog who is attempting to scare/dominate me and is on the verge of attacking any day of the week.
I understand. Though I'm saying the highs/benefits of owning a "good" dog are arguably better than those of a "good" cat. So that may be what people are thinking of when answering the thread question, the highs outweighing the possible lows.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I understand. Though I'm saying the highs/benefits of owning a "good" dog are arguably better than those of a "good" cat. So that may be what people are thinking of when answering the thread question, the highs outweighing the possible lows.
I would fundamentally disagree with the comparison to be honest. A good pet is like a family member, it's about companionship, not about them potentially saving you in some form of extreme situation.

I have always found that way of judging a pet, based on its utility is rather strange and honestly feels cold and transactional.

Ultimately though if that's what someone prefers then good for them, but I do think that when you are weighing up the difference between the two pets, one being much more likely to cause serious harm or death in extreme situations is something to consider, at least for me.

Switters

Oct 28, 2017
I would give up a finger or toe if I could have a stupid as fuck Boxer. You couldn't give me a cat for free.

megabyte

Oct 25, 2017
I would fundamentally disagree with the comparison to be honest. A good pet is like a family member, it's about companionship, not about them potentially saving you in some form of extreme situation.

I have always found that way of judging a pet, based on its utility is rather strange and honestly feels cold and transactional.

Ultimately though if that's what someone prefers then good for them, but I do think that when you are weighing up the difference between the two pets, one being much more likely to cause serious harm or death in extreme situations is something to consider, at least for me.
I also have guinea pigs, which are arguably very "useless" but they bring me joy regardless. My point was just to present the other extreme to your extreme. No one I personally know has experienced a dog attack, and nor do they fear the possibility of one. (I certainly fear violence from other humans more than dogs). Dogs have been much better companions to me or my partner than our previous cats ever were because of their species/breed disposition and characteristics.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
If I remember right, liberal progressives tend to favor cats so I'm expecting cats to win.

More of a dog person myself though

Ghostshark

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely dogs for me, I have a ptsd and general anxiety service dog in training. My puppy, Felix is almost 8 months, and getting him has been the best decision I've ever made. Prior to getting him, I was completely agoraphobic, only leaving my house once a month or so. Now I walk him several times a day, am down to 240 pounds from 290, and am starting to get my life back.
NSMw1KL_d.webp

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Cats. More independent, tend to match my asshole personality more.

Both are awesome though.

SilentSoldier

Oct 27, 2017
I like both, but cats fit my lifestyle better at the moment.

Obligatory cat tax

MjipOiymi5aSRwjiuNS1Q_K0UGkaMi_qqosqUd9y5dcU6FiawPxZMDziHUUEFYwf104mC7ln85QsX3k0ynARDtSApYV_AP37Co1yuE2PSTlV9_3ROYO26c8_47CjdNJEKRyuAIR6Q_mOZfvhQPABJTWypT2FuRzkM7Rva4mHlrT3ZFZ19BLEM3KGDpmJWcLUin09p3HhKPoGXBzc9RQmxbk3hjpn5jm_WigWBPZVWuv8AR3ujI4Qvo-oYnuGIrbOWQDswJAYhGeOCJEfAr8NSi4mj1Et3Dy662Lo4dXhB9elQOH1MTu_e0au_Quw8EwL9HsMQao7dqUw1SUVXbOEQkfkB_JNaVD4rB8_xhfldgRpbsJS339X3RKtgzyv5BUaLv5CgnBlMfDwiNFB_WumPHbAsr4lqt49LbeZcZBxWmCgocvKjER0xcHPdMQS73kr-vnvi9f_6x-cUaJ6HAUc9AUkWW2C4U0_t_3YvRdLG6S4H5nOqoB6rBn4iZIKWV9daZ38lr8rWI0Doum6eSMrZheo0rE7u0a5oe1ha4o70t7EWV0rKf7EYPDCEfgQo2bARTRDzgkenLQNa8SZqjgTzcfjRtN9OTEdMc9rVoQKmejOgaKSfIPh-q7lzzweeIE5pEqDPSPVcAv_ZNCppXpnz706iqD_-N6xXu3MoGc4lQUTGctVJb-CRGPqnxit0GLqFXlYx_0lEWW7My_CbcdFVX_q9pu_eQf9NfCqBJd9SDm_WQBoKTipvRJtIHs=w509-h903-no

His name is Cream and he's the bestest boy

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

0.0001% of dogs being service animals isn't representative of the pets owned by people on the forum, nor does grandma's mean cat represent anything other than grandma's mean cat. If you're asking which you prefer as a pet then it would be about the average cat/dog and what they offer/fit your lifestyle. Ofc bringing up that some dogs kill people/children isn't all that relevant either.

Oct 30, 2017
Dogs are wonderful and loyal.. but to me Cats are the most adorable and fascinating creatures on this planet, they melt my heart with their meows and cuteness and attitude like nothing else \^0^/

microgreen

Jun 24, 2020
Completely agree. I'm just not willing to take the risk again that we wind up with another cat like the one we currently have thats cost us over a thousand dollars so far in having to recarpet a room and replace a very large area rug because he thinks the house is his oversized litterbox. Heck he doesn't even kill the palmetto bugs that sneak in the house.

I feel bad for the cat tbh. Pretty sure he's not pissing all over your carpet just for funsies.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Dogs are wonderful and loyal.. but to me Cats are the most adorable and fascinating creatures on this planet, they melt my heart with their meows and cuteness and attitude like nothing else \^0^/

Yep. They are a mystery. They will, no matter what, adhere to their own rules and routines. It's a full on partnership. It's up to us to accept them or not.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
Cats by far. I can't connect with dogs anymore. Small dogs are okay but they're too active for my tastes. Dogs also tend to slobber over everything and they smell bad easily. Your home can easily smell like your dog's coat if they frequent your indoors often.

Of all the cats I've seen, so many cats have different personalities. I'm sure dogs are the same but with cats I can notice it easily. The cat I have at the moment is pretty chirpy and outgoing but he has a shy side (if he smells guests' shoes he runs away but he throws out meows at familiar faces). My friends' cats have ranged from extremely shy (hiding from everybody) to moody (hiding if there's too much talking) to very outgoing (follows guests around)

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, this discussion has changed over the years. Used to be much more polarized. Lots of "both" people here.

Used to be more fun:
If you need a false sense of authority or if you are really needy for some sense of love, get a dog.
If you are okay with animals not being your slave and if you can live with the fact that they completely ignore you since you're not that special anyway, get a cat.

šŸ˜ In reality, i also like both.

Last edited: