• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cats or Dogs?

• Cats

Votes: 995 48.8%
  • Dogs

Votes: 1,044 51.2%

• Total voters

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
lvl 99 Pixel I just read through that list of posts you quoted . Most of these are incredibly tame. One does not even express a preference for dogs or negative sentiment for people who prefer cats. I'm not sure what these are supposed to prove, I have seen posts about dog owners in this thread that are much worse than any of these. It's not a big deal, it is not a serious thread.

I'm not sure why you would want to summon over a dozen mildly annoyed dog people to this thread over these posts

Probably because of weirdly personal attacks like this who show up spreading misinformation and insulting users if they call it out (happens in prior threads too, dating all the way back through a previous forum).

Cling to the comfort that it's marking you out of affection, and ignore that it's also marking you to claim you as well. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Do cat owners name their brain parasites?

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Fair enough, you've got more bulk. However, you HAVE to know that some of those are jokes (Westbanhof's post) or aren't even actual condemnations of cat owners themselves (mikey_legendary and Hey Please's post), but hey, at least we didn't bring up the fuckin' Nazis:

Cat owners' hands aren't clean either. 😤

Well I wouldn't use the Nazi argument because they also have the cop killers

index-7.jpeg

arton196706.jpg

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Probably because of weirdly personal attacks like this who show up spreading misinformation and insulting users if they call it out (happens in prior threads too, dating all the way back through a previous forum).
This nonsense dates back since before the internet and like pointed out previously, dog people get tons of weird insults too, so I feel it's kinda weird to (seriously and not jokingly) pick a side. As weird as seriously insulting dog or cat people for their preference.
I'm also annoyed I was dragged into your post because I feel like my post was clearly, clearly in jest.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Am I wrong in my impression that thislight hearted joke thread is now taken seriously by people? I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but still.

The worse part is hearing the ignorant bullshit spread from both camps that clearly haven't had much experience with their non-preferred kind of animal. Particularly about cats, which by default have a lot worse reputation that's in most cases entirely unearned through decades of unflattering media portrayal, but cat fans are also showing their ass about their dog knowledge too.

If you asked that question to a dog or cat and they were able to reply, they would say "who the fuck cares". Cats and dogs love and care for each other much more than humans care for each other. We are far worse than either, and deserve neither.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
The worse part is hearing the ignorant bullshit spread from both camps that clearly haven't had much experience with their non-preferred kind of animal. Particularly about cats, which by default have a lot worse reputation that's in most cases entirely unearned through decades of unflattering media portrayal, but cat fans are also showing their ass about their dog knowledge too.

If you asked that question to a dog or cat and they were able to reply, they would say "who the fuck cares". Cats and dogs love and care for each other much more than humans care for each other. We are far worse than either, and deserve neither.

^exactly this. Cats probably especially so because they're more alien to human behavior, socially unusual and nocturnal.

I imagine not many people are fond of dead mice as presents being gifted to their owners at night, but id also feel bad disciplining that because it must be confusing thinking you did something for someone and they seemingly hate you for it.

Last edited:

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Dogs without question. My dog is my best friend. We do everything together. He'll watch movies and stuff with me, and I really mean watch. Especially when there's any kind of animal. He watched Jungle Book from start to finish glued to the screen. We go swimming together in the pool. We play around all the time. We hang out and cuddle in bed or on the couch when I'm reading or playing a game. He tries to talk to me all the time making funny noises and movements. We go out on long ass walks and everyone fawns over him and how cute he is. He's the best. Would be a miracle to find a cat that can do all that.

Look how talented he is.

JNjf3vq.gif
BYIEpEn.gif

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Dogs without question. My dog is my best friend. We do everything together. He'll watch movies and stuff with me, and I really mean watch. Especially when there's any kind of animal. He watched Jungle Book from start to finish glued to the screen. We go swimming together in the pool. We play around all the time. We hang out and cuddle in bed or on the couch when I'm reading or playing a game. He tries to talk to me all the time making funny noises and movements. We go out on long ass walks and everyone fawns over him and how cute he is. He's the best. Would be a miracle to find a cat that can do all that.

Look how talented he is.

JNjf3vq.gif
BYIEpEn.gif

All of the indoor stuff you've mentioned is normal behavior for many (most?) cats. They watch stuff with you, cuddle with you (just ask my SO every night when there's always 3+ cats on her bed with her), many happily talk back to you. A lot of people walk their cats, too. The pool stuff is less common because most cats dislike water, but there's lots of them that love a good swim:

While it's true that all of these traits are more common (or rather, practically guaranteed) in dogs, people that haven't had much experience with cats don't know they're very common in cats, too. Other examples included someone boasting earlier that his dog is superior to cats because he can open doors; the cat on my avatar, currently on my lap, learnt to jump up to handles to open doors within weeks of us adopting him. It's so common that there's plenty of articles about how to prevent them from doing it; so common indeed that stuff like this exists.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dogs FTMFW

Also I love cats too. Sad I'm allergic to them.

But dogs. Always....dogs.

Stuggernaut

Oct 28, 2017
Seattle, WA, USA
Having had both, been around both my whole life... I will stick with cats. I was more of a dog person when younger but now dogs just annoy me lol with all the barking.

Plus, how can I not love my cats when they sleep like this...

SxJSDI6.jpg

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I think that's a very outdated view. Gotta love the tiny, ugly dogs that can barely handle existing.
HOa6B6O.png

Look at this little freak. You can practically see him trembling like the tiny dog he is, barely keeping his eyes open, all fat and old as dirt. I love him.
😭 Someone else who loves small dogs too.

That's the real bullshit right there. If you like small dogs, you get shit from cat owners who don't like dogs regardless, and dog owners who think small dogs are useless or annoying. ;~;

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough, you've got more bulk. However, you HAVE to know that some of those are jokes (Westbanhof's post) or aren't even actual condemnations of cat owners themselves (mikey_legendary and Hey Please's post), but hey, at least we didn't bring up the fuckin' Nazis:

Cat owners' hands aren't clean either. 😤

I don't own a cat

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dogs kill people in every country every year, usually children.

Cats merely attempt murder, so they're better.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria

That's the real bullshit right there. If you like small dogs, you get shit from cat owners who don't like dogs regardless, and dog owners who think small dogs are useless or annoying. ;~;
I especially love small ugly dogs, like when a 15 year old chihuahua who is super chunky waddles along his owner, my heart blooms.
But of course you can't love small ugly dogs without also loving small dogs in general.
Labradors remain my favourite though.
d2f44a83-bdcf-4e1f-bed6-28b3407e07d4.jpg

How can you not love this poor, cursed dog that has spent so much time at vets and animal hospitals because she keeps having new issues?

Especially when she also moonlights as a goblin? "I'll lead you through the swamp, traveler, for the right amount of coin!"
IMG-20190131-WA0001.jpg

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Dogs kill people in every country every year, usually children.

Cats merely attempt murder, so they're better.
I definitely don't want to trivialize deaths. However just for some perspective, there are around 16 deaths per year from dogs. There is also an estimated 900-1 billions dogs in the world. It's impossible to know the exact numbers obvioualy. And many of those deaths are the result of a neglective, human owner.

Anyway again, just for some perspective.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
All of the indoor stuff you've mentioned is normal behavior for many (most?) cats. They watch stuff with you, cuddle with you (just ask my SO every night when there's always 3+ cats on her bed with her), many happily talk back to you. A lot of people walk their cats, too. The pool stuff is less common because most cats dislike water, but there's lots of them that love a good swim:

While it's true that all of these traits are more common (or rather, practically guaranteed) in dogs, people that haven't had much experience with cats don't know they're very common in cats, too. Other examples included someone boasting earlier that his dog is superior to cats because he can open doors; the cat on my avatar, currently on my lap, learnt to jump up to handles to open doors within weeks of us adopting him. It's so common that there's plenty of articles about how to prevent them from doing it; so common indeed that stuff like this exists.

I've lived with and have known plenty of cats, some share a few of those traits. My old roommate's cat talked to her incessantly. But I've never seen one that has all those traits and that kind of relationship, I'm sure they exist but that's a matter of chance more than anything unlike many, if not most, dogs. I've known very few cats that are good with strangers and are actually interested in meeting new people, and the few that do their way of showing affection is different and often weirdly invasive. Dogs are just a lot more inviting and sociable, especially if properly trained and socialized. Plus just simple anatomical/physiological stuff is a major factor. My dog is on the small side, but he's still a rock solid 20 pounds of muscle. He's no fragile, delicate little lap dog you have to be gentle with. He's tough as shit and can play hard and rough with me or dogs 4 times his size with ease. He's the perfect mix of not being all that big, can easy pick him with one hand, he's cuddly but still super hardy and tough and not a dog you have to be careful with.

Dogs have that massive variety in breed that really allows you to cater them to your lifestyle and needs that you simply can't get with cats. They can also be a lot more manageable for allergies due to that large variety, while also just being less prevalent/severe than cat allergies in general. My mom has dog allergies reacting to most breeds and hair/dander types, but since my dog doesn't shed and has hair that grows and gets cut normally she doesn't react to him at all. Even my cousin who has even more severe animal allergies and asthma she can still tolerate being around him and even touching him a little, while she can barely be in the presence of something like a German Shepard or Lab. Cats not even a bit.

I'm sure some cats can do this too, but we don't go out on nice little 15 minute walks around the block and back, we go on daily hour long walks and occasional multi-hour hikes and he loves it and is eager for it. No training or building up to it required. And he really loves to run. I've seen cats play fetch plenty but not play fetch outside in a huge field running 30mph like a mad man after a ball or toy. I have a hard time imagining many cats going on long walks to meet up with other cats that then play for a while, go back home and then play some more swimming in the pool. And it's not like my dog is high maintenance. He's good to go 24/7, but also doesn't freak out or become a terror if we spend the whole weekend in bed just sleeping, binging tv and games. Dogs are just way more versatile and personizable. If a cat fits your needs cool, enjoy. Just not for me at all.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
Neither. But if I had to choose: Dogs.

Cats are like having a shitty roommate.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I definitely don't want to trivialize deaths. However just for some perspective, there are around 16 deaths per year from dogs. There is also an estimated 900-1 billions dogs in the world. It's impossible to know the exact numbers obvioualy. And many of those deaths are the result of a neglective, human owner.

Anyway again, just for some perspective.
Might wanna point out that the 16 deaths are in the US. I'm gonna hazard a guess that there's more deaths happening, since you're bringing up worldwide dog numbers.
But you're right about dogs being largely non-lethal animals, of course.

I live in a no pets apartment
Just in theory, would they allow like, fish, reptiles in a terrarium, etc? Always curious since those aren't really a risk to the apartment.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
holy shit, I've never actually stopped to think about this, but now that you mention it most of the dog owners I know tend to be the kind of toxic that way (i.e. aggressively competitive and self-assertive/gotta have my way all the time). The ones that aren't have smaller dogs.
That are poorly behaved and overly aggressive.

nicolasacmf

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who loves both cats and dogs, the best buddies we could have are... birds.

But since they're not an option, cats.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
holy shit, I've never actually stopped to think about this, but now that you mention it most of the dog owners I know tend to be the kind of toxic that way (i.e. aggressively competitive and self-assertive/gotta have my way all the time). The ones that aren't have smaller dogs.
My family moved to a place with heavy suburban energy when I was like 10, and loads of people there had a dog. Like, we had a dog, and then there were like 15 more dogs in our close neighborhood. There was a single guy who clearly had some issues he was trying to compensate for with his dog, his car, and a general display of extreme toxicity, but everywhere else, the dogs, both large and tiny, were gentle, lovely animals that would play well with other dogs and small children. These were beloved family pets, some used to bark a bit more than others, some used to be a bit more rowdy when playing than others, but overall, the dogs were all just wonderful. Same goes for the owners: Normal families, women and men with their own quirks, but (again with the exception of that one guy) nobody fit that "aggressively competitive" and "self-assertive" profile, tbh.
Long story short, I think that kind of stereotyping is based on anecdotes and shouldn't be perpetuated. Personally, I'd put it in a drawer with horoscopes and phrenology, a drawer of things we shouldn't use to profile people.

Sorry for the rant, haha.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
I grew up with dogs so I've always liked dogs more. I only have 1 dog now, his brother passed away a few months ago sadly. Nothing breaks your heart like watching a dog grieve. He used to be quite feisty but now he just wants to be cuddled all the time, and every time I see him sat there staring at the front door it kills me. I love the lil guy.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Having had both, been around both my whole life... I will stick with cats. I was more of a dog person when younger but now dogs just annoy me lol with all the barking.

Plus, how can I not love my cats when they sleep like this...

SxJSDI6.jpg

I am witnessing infinity and it's glorious.

Small dogs are the best dogs. My old chihuahua has problems with his legs and can pretty much not even walk anymore, but I love him to bits nevertheless. There is nothing annoying about a small furry friend who snores in your lap when you're reading a book.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Might wanna point out that the 16 deaths are in the US. I'm gonna hazard a guess that there's more deaths happening, since you're bringing up worldwide dog numbers.
But you're right about dogs being largely non-lethal animals, of course.

Just in theory, would they allow like, fish, reptiles in a terrarium, etc? Always curious since those aren't really a risk to the apartment.
Nice catch, I had my numbers mixed up.

Also good idea to point out that many dogs, outside the US and other developed nations, don't live in homes and are feral which would mean far more dangerous.

Spiderman

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nothing breaks your heart like watching a dog grieve.
Absolutely. I grew up with two wonderful bouviers who were actually father and son. Naturally the father died first and this changed the other dog completely.

He became less affectionate towards us and never was as energetic as before.

I miss walking these fantastic creatures. Good memories.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Dogs, obviously. If you answered cats, seek professional help.

Imagine choosing cats knowing that this exists:

s4f9pt427ut51.jpg