• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cats or Dogs?

• Cats

Votes: 995 48.8%
  • Dogs

Votes: 1,044 51.2%

• Total voters

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
No, they are not. They can be trained, they can play fetch, open doors, use the toilet, all sorts of things. Maybe don't base your knowledge on your limited experience!
Haha fair enough. Incidentally, we have a cat who plays fetch much better than my dog, though the dog is much better at opening doors (unfortunately)!

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I, Nepenthe, am not irresponsible enough to make a serious moral or psychiatric analysis of someone based upon which domestic pet they prefer.

Even though cat owners will continue to accuse me of leaning conservative, being toxically masculine, being emotionally dependent, or miserable for having to be outside with my dog at all, just because I prefer dogs, without any self-reflection of their judgements upon us.

Actually we didn't do much work to domesticate cats; not as much as dogs. They mostly domesticated themselves. So, no, the horrific spread of cats and the resulting wrath they have, well, wrought, is partially their fault. C'mon, don't you guys describe cats as super geniuses? Give them credit for their deeds!

Big what @ that spoiler. Is this something from the furry community? That doesn't sound reasonable at all.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Big what @ that spoiler. Is this something from the furry community? That doesn't sound reasonable at all.
Have...

have you not read the thread???

I wasn't joking; those were actual condemnations of dog owners from cat owners being posted in this thread.

And it happens all the time. 🤣

Has nothing to do with Furry either; dogs are exponentially more popular than domestic cats within the fandom as characters/sonas/suits.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I, Nepenthe, am not irresponsible enough to make a serious moral or psychiatric analysis of someone based upon which domestic pet they prefer.

Even though cat owners will continue to accuse me of leaning conservative, being toxically masculine, being emotionally dependent, or miserable for having to be outside with my dog at all, just because I prefer dogs, without any self-reflection of their judgements upon us.

Actually we didn't do much work to domesticate cats; not as much as dogs. They mostly domesticated themselves. So, no, the horrific spread of cats and the resulting wrath they have, well, wrought, is partially their fault. C'mon, don't you guys describe cats as super geniuses? Give them credit for their deeds!
We bred them and fostered that though, and messed up the balance of all the other parts of what would be their natural environments. Left alone they would have found balance, we can't blame them for following their instincts if they go outside into an environment we destroyed...

I'm sure though, if we got rid of cat breeding and other meddling and cats were simply wild, they'd find thier own ways to play us dumb humans!

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Looks like the fix is in. All day long yesterday cats were comfortably leading the poll, then suddenly dogs are way ahead. Hmmm.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone

Yup, I confronted my bullmastiff about his voting record this morning and he looked guilty as sin

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Dogs: "woof woof you left me for 5 minutes and thought you were never coming back so I eat your couch woof woof"

Cats: "Oh you're back? Cool, hi, yeah, it's been a quiet day except for that stupid bird that keeps coming. Hey, are we eating yet?"
Cats: Your couch looks like a good scratching post. Let me use that as one. As well as your shoes, and your posters, and your wood furniture, and your costume parts. Oh, your expensive glasses and china are on the table? Let me knock them over and break them because I'm beholden to the instinct to drop animals to see if they're alive.

Dog: *(sleeping in the corner)*

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Haha fair enough. Incidentally, we have a cat who plays fetch much better than my dog, though the dog is much better at opening doors (unfortunately)!
Reading my comment back it sounds much harsher than I intended, I was only mocking seriousness... I hope it didn't come across harshly, apologies if it did.

Don't get me wrong, it isn't necessarily a good thing.

If we tell my girlfriend's doggo "down" or "go to your bed" if it has done something bad or when it is trying to play if our attention needs to be elsewhere, it will do it.

Try telling that to her cats... They will meow non-stop, walk over the keyboard if we're working or our heads if trying to sleep, drop toys on us until we're covered in a pile of them.... Little monsters cannot be contained!

Although, if Miso is doing something bad like clawing at the wrong thing (they have their own posts for this), or trying to open the cupboard where her food is with her paw (we've had to lock them as she could get in and drag out the bag...), If we say "no", she has learned to stop... Until we turn our backs for too long, at least...

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Cat people just couldn't stay organized long enough to land the W ☹🤷‍♂️
Like I said, they forgot we needed to count the mail-in ballots, so it makes sense that an Internet poll would lead with the people most likely to be glued to a computer all day. 🍵

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Cats: Your couch looks like a good scratching post. Let me use that as one. As well as your shoes, and your posters, and your wood furniture, and your costume parts. Oh, your expensive glasses and china are on the table? Let me knock them over and break them because I'm beholden to the instinct to drop animals to see if they're alive.

Dog: *(sleeping in the corner)*

"Here, buddy, I got you a scratching post and a couple of animals toys for your boredom"

*Cats learn*

"Hey doggo, bought you theese cookies, want some?"

*Dog vomits, eats its own barf and barfs it again on the carpet*

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Like I said, they forgot we needed to count the mail-in ballots, so it makes sense that an Internet poll would lead with the people most likely to be glued to a computer all day. 🍵
Ok, now y'all are just being ruthless... Ouch.

"Here, buddy, I got you a scratching post and a couple of animals toys for your boredom"

*Cats learn*

Lol.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone

giphy.gif

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

*Cats learn*

Cat Owner: I spent actual money on you that I had to work hours in the soul-crushing grind of capitalism for for these toys-- oh you don't care for them at all, okay.

Dog Owner: *doesn't feed their dog human cookies because they know better.*

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
The are simpler life forms, not easier. The point is that with Dogs you are dealing with an animal, with cats you are dealing with a friend.

You feed the animal and it will follow you to the end of the world because we engineered them to do it so we're obligated to take care of every single freaking aspect of their lifes in exchange for total obedience. Cats are friends you invited to stay home for as long as they wanted, so taking care of them is a matter of courtesy.
Many cats spend their entire lives just trying to escape the home because they want outdoors and might return if they have a reason to like they are hungry. Most cat owners are effectively their jailer and should actually keep them inside otherwise they wreck havoc on the wildlife. They are your friend because you force them to be, essentially. Not all cats are the same though. Dogs for the most part want to be in the home with you.
It's all a matter of perspective.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't joking; those were actual condemnations of dog owners from cat owners being posted in this thread.

And it happens all the time. 🤣

We can do the forum science here! Ignoring the self loathing cat owners who "prefer cats because im lazy"
Posts ITT with reference to pet owners rather than the pets (some might be joking, but some definitely don't seem to be).

About Cat owners specifically:
Cat lovers are so desperate to be as cool as dog lovers, that they've started to walk their cats, but don't realize how weird it looks and how much cats dislike it.
Including "Both are great" would have been a move in the interest of peace, but you just want the world to burn and thus probably prefer cats
People train dogs.
Cats train people.
Ah yes, I'm sure the internet forum with a heavy emphasis on gaming, that has been (rightfully) supportive of stay at home orders will skew towards the pet that requires a more active lifestyle.
Cats are better for lazy people.
Cats are all right but I've never been in a cat owners house that didn't stink like cat piss no matter how much cat people claim that it doesn't.
It's just like a cigarette smoker that doesn't realize how bad their house or car smells like smoke because they become desensitized to it.
I love dogs. I distrust anyone who prefer cats over dogs.
Dogs are better
Cat owners tend to have a leftish bent so I wouldn't be surprised if they win here despite being very, very wrong
People who choose cats over dogs are weird.....not surprising results for the poll.
The toxoplasmosis is strong in this place.
I like cats fine, but I cannot comprehend how you could feel that you get more quality interactions from them than from dogs. I guess cat people are just lazy and don't want to put in the work that dogs need.
Also people who prefer cats seem to be less jovial in my experience.
I'll never understand Cat people, or as an extension a lot of other alternative pets. I like dogs because they are affectionate. They feel like they are your friend. Most other pet's are just things you take care of, ya know?
Apparently some cat people get super triggered when somebody says cats aren't affectionate, lol.
If you're jaded and lazy and look for the path of least resistance until you die, then you will choose "cats."

this is from the first half of the thread and that's more than enough of that :S

Cat people get out of the house?

see, like clockwork.
The worst you can say about Cat owners is the movie CATS exists.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Most cat owners are effectively their jailer and should actually keep them inside otherwise they wreck havoc on the wildlife.
I actually disagree with this... we wrecked the environment to the point there is an imbalance, I'm not going to punish my cats with a lifetime in jail because of it. I will always let my cats out, persoanlly.

Sources such as Battersea Cats and dogs home even recommend ways to do this: https://www.battersea.org.uk/pet-advice/cat-care-advice/introducing-your-cat-outside

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Cat Owner: I spent actual money on you that I had to work hours in the soul-crushing grind of capitalism for for these toys-- oh you don't care for them at all, okay.

Dog Owner: *doesn't feed their dog human cookies because they know better.*

Cat Owner: Don't worry buddy, here's a piece of paper with a string attached to it, let's play *cat has the time of his life*

Dog Owner: *cleans carpet of dog cookies and a plethora of missing objects vomit*

Many cats spend their entire lives just trying to escape the home because they want outdoors and might return if they have a reason to like they are hungry. Most cat owners are effectively their jailer and should actually keep them inside otherwise they wreck havoc on the wildlife. Dogs for the most part want to be in the home with you.
It's all a matter of perspective.

Cat will try to escape if they don't like living with you. Like a friend.

The dog will stay with you because they don't know better. Like an animal.

My point exactly

astro

Oct 25, 2017
We can do the forum science here! Ignoring the self loathing cat owners who "prefer cats because im lazy"
Posts ITT with reference to pet owners rather than the pets (some might be joking, but some definitely don't seem to be).

this is from the first half of the thread and that's more than enough of that :S

see, like clockwork.
Most of us are mocking seriousness ITT for the fun of it yeh, just FYI.

Flygon

Oct 28, 2017
Domestic Cats destroy the environment when let outdoors unattended.
Dogs... not so much.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Cat Owner: Don't worry buddy, here's a piece of paper with a string attached to it, let's play *cat has the time of his life*

Dog Owner: *cleans carpet of dog cookies and a plethora of missing objects vomit*

Cat will try to escape if they don't like living with you. Like a friend.

The dog will stay with you because they don't know better. Like an animal.

My point exactly
Wanting to live outside and hunt is like the most animal behavior you can get. Wanting to live inside and socialize was like a part of our own human evolution.

I think we're just going to have to disagree about what makes something an animal. You keep implying that us humans are more animal than even cats are.

I love my cat and I love my dog. I love more depending on different factors. Like when it's 110 out and my dog wants to go for a walk, I love my cat more. When I can take my dog to the park or hiking, I love my dog more.

For me it doesn't have to be an either or. If the poll had a both choice, I would choose it.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Dogs... not so much.

But they do. I even linked a very recent article about what's happening in my own country with feral dogs, as well as the approximated 3x C02 cost of owning a dog. We love these little guys but they can and are all problems for the environment in different ways. If you're going to argue "yea but its not as bad as all the birds being killed" then you missed the point.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Besides the fact that I was clearly poking fun and drawing a parallel between cats famously more aloof behaviour and their owners disposition:

I've heard "dog owners just want obedience", "dogs are for people who are control freaks", "dogs are too dumb to think for themselves and thus dumb people prefer them" at least as often as the cat stereotype. The shit talking absolutely goes both ways, and it should always be disregarded.

EDIT:
But they do. I even linked a very recent article about what's happening in my own country with feral dogs, as well as the approximated 3x C0^2 cost of owning a dog. We love these little guys but they can and are all problems for the environment in different ways. If you're going to argue "yea but its not as bad as all the birds being killed" then you missed the point.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but "feral" and "domestic" are two different things and comparing feral dog issues to domestic cat issues isn't really sensible.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017

see, like clockwork.
The worst you can say about Cat owners is the movie CATS exists.

I was speculating about the poll outcomes but okay

Another sensitive cat owner playing victim! (That was actually an owner generalization)

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Dogs... not so much.
Dogs do, though.

Wanting to live outside and hunt is like the most animal behavior you can get. Wanting to live inside and socialize was like a part of our own human evolution.

I think we're just going to have to disagree about what makes something an animal.

I love my cat and I love my dog. I love more depending on different factors. Like when it's 110 out and my dog wants to go for a walk, I love my cat more. When I can take my dog to the park or hiking, I love my dog more.

For me it doesn't have to be an either or. If the poll had a both choice, I would choose it.
This.

I actually love them equally, it's just that my girlfriend's cat is technically my cat (I chose her from the litter, convinced my gf to keep her, and pay for her medical expenses) she just lives with my gf as she has better accommodation for a cat so I'm batting for her here.

I actually love cats and dogs equally :3

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
there are no superiors in this race. they are our masters and we must feed them and keep them happy at all times, and maybe once in awhile (when they feel comfortable) they will grace us with their furry bodies for us brush over/pet and make us happy. we should be grateful to them to give us that opportunity

I love them both equally

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Am I wrong in my impression that this light hearted joke thread is now taken seriously by people? I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but still.

Last edited:

Serpens007

Oct 31, 2017
Chile

I think we're just going to have to disagree about what makes something an animal. You keep implying that us humans are more animal than even cats are.

Ah well of course, if we talk seriously, both are great for different reasons. Both can actually be trained to satisfy their needs in the best possible way, with different levels of success depending on their personalities.

My cats don't go outside. One of them tried out of curiosity until the day he met with a neighborhood cat and scared the shit out of him. They have a place they can get for fresh air and bird watching, and toys for hunt play. They are very social with the family but don't like strangers. Like me lmao.

There isn't much native fauna they can wreck around where I live, but it's more dangerous for them to get out. Fighting other cats, neighbors that may poison them, eating a poisoned rat, being ran over by a car, etc. I had a dog that was very smart and liked to go on walks on his own and always returned (of course we also walked him but he just liked being on the street and wander). He had grew up on the street so it was also an urge we couldn't eliminate, but he was finally ran over by a car after several years of this.

Flygon

Oct 28, 2017
But they do. I even linked a very recent article about what's happening in my own country with feral dogs, as well as the approximated 3x C02 cost of owning a dog. We love these little guys but they can and are all problems for the environment in different ways. If you're going to argue "yea but its not as bad as all the birds being killed" then you missed the point.
I retract my statement.

Still not a Cat fan tho. :D

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Am I wrong in my impression that thislight hearted joke thread is now taken seriously by people? I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but still.
People get real weird about that kind of stuff. Like, a family member of mine (who kinda has an issue getting stuck viewing some random things as facts of the universe, like "men don't bathe, they shower") mentions that people who prefer dogs are just insecure and need someone to order around literally EVERY time this topic (dogs and/VS cats) comes up.
I genuinely prefer dogs, but if I wasn't slightly allergic to them, damn if I wouldn't love having a cat. Love meeting and petting cats near my house. Great animals.

If I'm gonna seriously stereotype anyone, it'll be single people owning 3+ dogs and/or cats in a city. I'm sure there are exceptions, but in my anecdotal experience, that's like a huge red flag for weirdo town

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Another point for dogs is their ability to be emotional therapy companions.

Cant imagine going through some stuff while petting a cat and then they bite the fuck out of you because they decided petting time is done. They're a walking "Top 10 anime betrayals" list.

Our cats are my wife's ESAs and they've essentially cured her insomnia.

Yep.

Dogs are way too much work that these fragile, delicate flowers just can't be bothered to put up with, and simultaneously dogs require absolutely no work whatsoever in order to wring out the maximum amount of happiness from them. Cats require absolutely no work at all because they're self-sustaining and thus are the better pet, but also "you have to work to earn their affection" which makes their affection more "genuine" and "rewarding."

It's...almost like.... whichever claim will make cats look good and dogs look horrible is whichever view the Cat Owner Society will subscribe to in any given moment regardless of any cognitive dissonance invoked. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. 🤔 🤔 🤔

In my personal experience spending most my life with both, earning a dogs trust and becoming a companion is easy while the daily physical needs of long runs/walks, lots of room to play, and mental exercise is more demanding. On the other hand cats are the opposite earning their trust and companionship takes more time and maintaining that trust is a continuous work of reading their behavior and understanding their boundaries, while their physical needs are nearly self maintained. Just different animals.

As someone who loves both I don't get how people clown on lovers of either.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Am I wrong in my impression that thislight hearted joke thread is now taken seriously by people? I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but still.

Lol I think it's because you got a mix of both in the thread and pet owners to tend to be defensive, that's their family you're talking about.

But apologies if I have been responding to people in a serious way that were mostly joking.

Lol it's all good.

MeBecomingI

Oct 27, 2017
Cats. Mine are incredibly cuddly, affectionate, smart and don't require needing to be let out to take a piss or shit. They're incredible and are a massive reason I'm still alive...

I absolutely love dogs though too. But I don't have time for a dog. Eventually I'll get a dog.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough, you've got more bulk. However, you HAVE to know that some of those are jokes (Westbanhof's post) or aren't even actual condemnations of cat owners themselves (mikey_legendary and Hey Please's post), but hey, at least we didn't bring up the fuckin' Nazis:
Cats were never recruited into the Nazi regime.

So cats win.
Yeah but only so the dog will serve them in return

Cat owners care for catsand ask nothing in return
Cats of course.

You like dags? You need that assurance, do you? You prefer an emotionally shallow animal?

cc78e314b69af9774ef76a6e347cb10d.jpg
cat ownership trends leftish because toxic masculinity prevents conservatives from enjoying a cat

I've seen enough big dogs shirts to understand this
holy shit, I've never actually stopped to think about this, but now that you mention it most of the dog owners I know tend to be the kind of toxic that way (i.e. aggressively competitive and self-assertive/gotta have my way all the time). The ones that aren't have smaller dogs.
Cat owners' hands aren't clean either. 😤

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
lvl 99 Pixel I just read through that list of posts you quoted . Most of these are incredibly tame. One does not even express a preference for dogs or negative sentiment for people who prefer cats. I'm not sure what these are supposed to prove, I have seen posts about dog owners in this thread that are much worse than any of these. It's not a big deal, it is not a serious thread.

I'm not sure why you would want to summon over a dozen mildly annoyed dog people to this thread over these posts