• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cats or Dogs?

• Cats

Votes: 995 48.8%
  • Dogs

Votes: 1,044 51.2%

• Total voters

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I can't take any cat person who claims this seriously astro, it is extremely difficult and not recommended by virtually all professionals

You can technically train dogs to do many wild and amazing things too if you happen to be a professional animal trainer
Lmao... some cats just do it, "they can be trained" was separate from those others things. My friends cat used to use the toilet to poop in, was never trained at all. Just did it. My girlfriends cat has always just played fetch, didn't need to train her.

Cats are intelligent, dogs being able to be trained to do more doesn't mean cats are dumb. If you think otherwise, your experience is limited.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Never owned a cat due to my mom being allergic, but never had the desire either. All interactions with cats has been of total indifference to me.

Wish I had space for a dog.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
No, they are not. They can be trained, they can play fetch, open doors, use the toilet, all sorts of things. Maybe don't base your knowledge on your limited experience!

Yup, cats are far from stupid (barring some specific cases i've met). As i often say : cats understand full well what we want of them, they just often don't care, as the free spirits that they are.

Oct 26, 2017
Literally the opening statement:

......followed by

whoops? Your source, not mine.

Yeah, whoops. Ignore the part about staking claim. I understand your parasite won't let you think ill of your master.

While it may seem like a loving tendency, it can actually be a bit more aggressive than you first thought. According to PetPlace.com, that habit is your cat's way of claiming you as his own.
Oops.

Don't be mad at me that the thing you love gave you a brain worm, claims you as territory, and makes you love it while you're emptying out a box full of its piss and shit.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. But just like with people, cats and dogs both can have different personalities. My cat can be an annoying asshole in the morning and at night, hyper and knocking things over. But my Sister's cat sleeps peacefully on the bed with her every night and never disturbs her. Shrug.

All I know though is that after about 10 times of being violently woken up by having a cat pounce on you (I'm not really exaggerating much, it hurts especially if they hit you in the face), you stop thinking it's cute pretty quickly.
Of course. All specimens can have different personalities, but we're talking about averages here. That wasn't even the only cat I had issue with that someone owned. My brother had a cat whose major personality trait was just to meow. That's it. Just meow all the time. Didn't matter how much attention you actually gave it. It was insatiable. I'd call him and be like "Yo, wanna go to the movies?" and in the background it's just "MROW!!!....... MROOOW!!!" Like, dude.

(Of course, he also had two other cats that were perfect, and by perfect I mean they kept each other entertained and were generally out of sight. Also very amenable to human handling; could hold Baby Girl (real name: Napoleon) like a baby and pat her stomach and she'd not mind. The boy Cannondale would only push away; no claws or biting.)

Also to the general public here: Research has shown that dogs have roughly twice as many neurons in their cerebral cortexes as cats do. Yes, dogs ARE smarter than cats....

I mean, have you looked at a cat lately???

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
You need to earn the trust of a cat and learn to live with them as friends rather than pets. Dogs are much simpler life forms that require much more attention. Cats are the best.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Lmao... some cats just do it, "they can be trained" was separate from those others things. My friends cat used to use the toilet to poop in, was never trained at all. Just did it. My girlfriends cat has always just played fetch, didn't need to train her.

Cats are intelligent, dogs being able to be trained to do more doesn't mean cats are dumb. If you think otherwise, your experience is limited.

Yes everyone posting in this thread is limited by their own experiences

I'm not denying that cats are intelligent. There is a cat stalking me right now, experimenting to find the maximally efficient method to get me to get off era and pay attention to him. It is a very annoying sort of intelligence

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yes everyone posting in this thread is limited by their own experiences

I'm not denying that cats are intelligent. There is a cat stalking me right now, experimenting to find the maximally efficient method to get me to get off era and pay attention to him. It is a very annoying sort of intelligence
Not what I meant. You can look this up online, do research outside of your limited personal experience. Plenty of evidence that proves what some are claiming wrong.

Yup. Our cat will show up with a crumbled-up receipt ball in her mouth and drop it to us to let us know she's in a playful / chasing mood to play fetch.
Yep! My girlfriend's cat Miso just plops her favourite toy in front of us, we throw it, she retrieves it. The first time she did it was her choice, we just went with it.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, whoops. Ignore the part about staking claim. I understand your parasite won't let you think ill of your master.

Oops.

Don't be mad at me that the thing you love gave you a brain worm, claims you as territory, and makes you love it while you're emptying out a box full of its piss and shit.

This weird partonizing thing you're doing isn't helping your case. I don't know what kind of authority 'Petplace.com' is but at least your first link cited someone who might have been a doctor of some sort.

again from your new petplace.com source
When he leaves his scent on you, it can also be a sign of comfort. If you smell like him, it means you're part of his pack, and he can rest easy knowing that you identify with him.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
You need to earn the trust of a cat and learn to live with them as friends rather than pets. Dogs are much simpler life forms that require much more attention. Cats are the best.
Arguably it's the opposite. It's that cats ARE so simple that they require less attention generally. Dogs are more complicated creatures that need more stimulation. They need to play, they need to socialize, and they need to learn to be at their healthiest, and in that way they aren't that unlike humans.

But I'm not arguing for either one honestly. Some people prefer cats because they are so easy and that is completely understandable. Some dogs require a lot of work.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I always thought the rubbing thing cats to do is to work you for treats.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Arguably it's the opposite. It's that cats ARE so simple that they require less attention generally. Dogs are more complicated creatures that need more stimulation. They need to play, they need to socialize, and they need to learn to be at their healthiest, and in that way they aren't that unlike humans.

But I'm not arguing for either one honestly. Some people prefer cats because they are so easy and that is completely understandable. Some dogs require a lot of work.
Complex as in more needs to manage vs a simpler time with a more independent animal is a different thing than dogs being dummies that need to be taught and cats being the smartest and choosing to do shit with you.

The point i am making is fallacious because cat versus dog threads are inherently extremely silly

(They are silly because everyone knows dog is best)
There is nothing silly about this, take that back!

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Ah yes, it's so much more enjoyable to pick up a fresh turd by hand, separated by a single layer of plastic.

There are no winners in the animal waste cleanup game.

Oct 26, 2017
This weird partonizing thing you're doing isn't helping your case. I don't know what kind of authority 'Petplace.com' is but at least your first link cited someone who might have been a doctor of some sort.

again from your new petplace.com source

Cling to the comfort that it's marking you out of affection, and ignore that it's also marking you to claim you as well. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Do cat owners name their brain parasites?

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I like how dogs are easy mode and too much work itt
Yep.

Dogs are way too much work that these fragile, delicate flowers just can't be bothered to put up with, and simultaneously dogs require absolutely no work whatsoever in order to wring out the maximum amount of happiness from them. Cats require absolutely no work at all because they're self-sustaining and thus are the better pet, but also "you have to work to earn their affection" which makes their affection more "genuine" and "rewarding."

It's...almost like.... whichever claim will make cats look good and dogs look horrible is whichever view the Cat Owner Society will subscribe to in any given moment regardless of any cognitive dissonance invoked. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. 🤔 🤔 🤔

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Complex as in more needs to manage vs a simpler time with a more independent animal is a different thing than dogs being dummies that need to be taught and cats being the smartest and choosing to do shit with you.

There is nothing silly about this, take that back!
I think I get what you are saying. Since Humans also require a lot of attention and have to learn, cats are even smarter than us.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yep.

Dogs are way too much work that these fragile, delicate flowers just can't be bothered to put up with, and simultaneously dogs require absolutely no work whatsoever in order to wring out the maximum amount of happiness from them. Cats require absolutely no work at all because they're self-sustaining and thus are the better pet, but also "you have to work to earn their affection" which makes their affection more "genuine" and "rewarding."

It's...almost like.... whichever claim will make cats look good and dogs look horrible is whichever view the Cat Owner Society will subscribe to in any given moment regardless of any cognitive dissonance invoked. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. 🤔 🤔 🤔
It's simply that cats are better. The rest just falls into place!

I think I get what you are saying. Since Humans also require a lot of attention and have to learn, cats are even smarter than us.
Ha, indeed!

We are dummies just like the doggos!

Oct 26, 2017
Ah yes, it's so much more enjoyable to pick up a fresh turd by hand, separated by a single layer of plastic.

Sure, nobody wins. I agree.

I will say, however, that I don't use a baggy to pick up my dog's shit. She poops in the back yard and I pick it up with a poop rake and dump it. I also don't have to pick up her pee.

So I don't win, but I'm definitely picking up less stuff, and not doing it inside my own home.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I currently don't own a dog and have two cats yet I've had to clean up more dog shit by hand in or around my house than cat shit. Cats absolutely win on the animal waste cleanup game.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Nothing that uses the bathroom in a beach covered with their own shit and piss is better than a dog don't @ me k thx.

Damn. My Mom's cat actually shits on the floor, right outside the litter box. I used to think it's because it's stupid, but, maybe it's actually because it's smart. You may be on to something! Hmmm lol

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
If you forced a dog to live inside all the time it would have to do that too.

That one is on the humans.
The reason we force cats to live inside all the time is because they turn into murder machines that decimate the local wildlife and then die at 4 years old. Can't just be like a dog roaming with buddies and scrounging for garbage, minding their own business. They gotta take about 10,000 birds with them.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
The reason we force cats to live inside all the time is because they turn into murder machines that decimate the local wildlife and then die at 4 years old. Can't just be like a dog roaming with buddies and scrounging for garbage, minding their own business. They gotta take about 10,000 birds with them.

Yeah I generally do not appreciate it when a roaming cat terrorizes my songbirds and then poops in my garden

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, they've retained their independence and do what they want. That's an argument in their favour.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You mean roaming the streets and often being a hazard to other dogs and humans resulting in them being put down

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Can't just be like a dog roaming with buddies and scrounging for garbage, minding their own business. They gotta take about 10,000 birds with them.

As previously mentioned, feral dogs can be fatal for humans and other animals. Including attacking our already endangered national animal.
Its truly bizarre to read in this thread like cats are the only ones that can be territorial, or the only ones that would be a problem outside.

People releasing animals that don't belong into the wild is a problem no matter if its snakes, cats or dogs. None of them understand what they're doing, but they will all act on instinct and ALL of them can and will do this if left to their own devices. "but dogs just roam with buds and eat garbage" nah....not really. That's kind of a dangerous concept to spread as a truth.

Last edited:

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, they've retained their independence and do what they want. That's an argument in their favour.
"Environmental destruction is good when cats do it. The bluebirds had it coming; being all blue and shit."

As previously mentioned, feral dogs can be fatal for humans and other animals. Including attacking our already endangered national animal.
Its truly bizarre to read in this thread like cats are the only ones that can be territorial, or the only ones that would be a problem outside.
Oh come on. I don't know how many emojis and big numbers and jokes I can put in my posts to make you understand I'm mostly being tongue-in-cheek about the whole thing.

Mostly. My secondary goal here isn't to say that dogs are perfect; it's to get cat owners to understand that their pets aren't, because- as noted in my cognitive dissonance post- I do think there are unfair biases towards cats that span decades of Internet arguing and early meme fame that go completely unchecked in these discussions (which you can't bring up because you get accused as being "another insecure dog owner"). So if you wanna kill the fun and actually take this thread seriously, we can do that. I have more than enough scientific material on my side to make the points I'm willing to make regarding the utility and intelligence of dogs.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Oh come on. I don't know how many emojis and big numbers and jokes I can put in my posts to make you understand I'm mostly being tongue-in-cheek about the whole thing.

Its honestly difficult to tell when there's someone accusing me of having brain worms ITT just for pointing out they didn't read their own articles. You're also being pretty rude about the whole thing too, especially proclamations about cognitive dissonance and threatening to unleash science to prove pet superiority *shrug*. I also have to notice a lot of confirmation bias if you're not seeing how often these threads turn into attacks on peoples character more often for liking cats as a pet.

"Environmental destruction is good when cats do it. The bluebirds had it coming; being all blue and shit."

Now that one im pretty sure was tongue in cheek

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Humans are to blame here. They are the cause of this. If cats were left the hell alone, they would have found balance. We took their independence from them to domesticate them, and any destruction here is rightly added to the endless ways humans have destroyed the environment.

Cats eating birds is natural.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I like how dogs are easy mode and too much work itt

The are simpler life forms, not easier. The point is that with Dogs you are dealing with an animal, with cats you are dealing with a friend.

You feed the animal and it will follow you to the end of the world because we engineered them to do it so we're obligated to take care of every single freaking aspect of their lifes in exchange for total obedience. Cats are friends you invited to stay home for as long as they wanted, so taking care of them is a matter of courtesy.

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
Think cats are suffering from some bad PR or something. Anybody that thinks cats are assholes has probably never actually lived with a cat long enough to form a bond with it. Cats spend a great deal of every day fucking off on their own (mostly sleeping) but when a cat claims a human they turn into super loving cuddle machines

My family had dogs all my life and I find them to be way too high maintenance in comparison. Cats are unbelievably chill and easy to care for

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Its honestly difficult to tell when there's someone accusing me of having brain worms ITT just for pointing out they didn't read their own articles.
I, Nepenthe, am not irresponsible enough to make a serious moral or psychiatric analysis of someone based upon which domestic pet they prefer.

Even though cat owners will continue to accuse me of leaning conservative, being toxically masculine, being emotionally dependent, or miserable for having to be outside with my dog at all, just because I prefer dogs, without any self-reflection of their judgements upon us.
Humans are to blame here. They are the cause of this. If cats were left the hell alone, they would have found balance. We took their independence from them to domesticate them, and any destruction here is rightly added to the endless ways humans have destroyed the environment.

Cats eating birds is natural.
Actually we didn't do much work to domesticate cats; not as much as dogs. They mostly domesticated themselves. So, no, the horrific spread of cats and the resulting wrath they have, well, wrought, is partially their fault. C'mon, don't you guys describe cats as super geniuses? Give them credit for their deeds!

The point is that with Dogs you are dealing with an animal, with cats you are dealing with a friend.