• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cat Owners, Are your Cats:

• Indoor Only

Votes: 664 65.7%
  • Outdoor Only

Votes: 16 1.6%
  • A Mix (without supervision)

Votes: 208 20.6%
  • A Mix (With supervision)

Votes: 123 12.2%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
Against my better judgement I am going to start this duscssion.

As someone in the USA, our local rescue organizations have always preached keeping cats indoors unless you have them on a leash or are accompanying them. The reasons being anywhere from:
  • Non-neutered/spayed cats breeding and creating a "pandemic" of cats, overflowing the local rescue organizations.
  • Cats affecting wildlife populations (I believe Hawaii and New Zealand have had major issues with this).
  • Outdoor cats having less life expectancy (I've been told there is some disagreement with certain studies on this, but as a whole cats do tend to live shorter lives in the wild).
  • Risk of disease, fleas, etc and bringing that back into the home to other animals.
  • https://pets.webmd.com/cats/features/should-you-have-an-indoor-cat-or-an-outdoor-cat
    • "The consensus among veterinarians and organizations such as the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) is to keep cats confined, whether indoors or outdoors. Outdoor enclosures or leash walking for cats that are comfortable with it can keep them stimulated and safe while protecting humans, wildlife, and the environment. Indoor cats tend to live longer than their outdoor counterparts, typically reaching 10 to 15 years of age. Cats who spend their lives exclusively outdoors live an average of just 2 to 5 years."

On the contrary, from the folks in the other thread there have been some good points made:
  • Places like England have better garden spaces and outdoor areas and less risk of cats being hit by cars, etc.
  • Some cats can be happier outdoors versus inside all day.
  • It really depends where you live.

I will always refer people to their local humane societies and rescues for advice, but on the whole it seems that most places recommend keeping cats indoors unless you're with them, or have built a catio or some other outdoor area for them.

What say you, Era?

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I agree with my local adoption group that cats should be indoor only, with a catio if they need outdoor access.

That's especially the case in both where I lived last and where I live now, where coyotes often prey on cats that run around the neighborhoods. Traffic is lower where I live now so cats aren't generally at risk of being struck by cars, but cats being hit by cars was very common where I used to live.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'll say one thing then I'm putting the thread on ignore, I just don't have the energy for this.

- Different parts of the world have different ways of doing this.
- Some of the studies people site against cats being allowed out are very biased.
- Humans roam, and their impact is worse than cats
- I grantee many of the people saying they should be kept inside due to "environmental impact" are being massive hypocrites by eating a lot of meat, driving a car all the time, using a lot of plastics, creating excessive waste etc...

Yes, there are benefits to keeping cats inside, but some feel the risks are worth a cat having a more free existence.

The crux of it is this: don't try to tell others their way is wrong, accept that some places do it differently, and check yourself before you lecture others and tell them they have to do it the way you would.

To note: I've had a lot of cats in my life, they all lived beyond 10, they all were extremely well love and cared for. Vaccinated, neutered, well fed, and allowed to roam happily. I would never change that. Animals should be free, not caged.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
The best advice for me staying alive is eating healthy, avoiding all vices and living a boring boring lifestyle. I don't do it, I don't expect my cat to do it.

She's a living animal, not a robot. I do as much as I can to keep her safe, and live in an area where she's able to roam with little no problem. Not everyone lives in an area where it's safe or possible to do that, and it's understandable.

Nov 2, 2017
Literally zero reasons to let cats roam. And it often dovetails with assholes who refuse to fix their pets

Keep your pets inside

Oct 27, 2017
We've had this thread on a few occasions relatively recently, it typically ends with the vast majority of posters in the USA adamant that cats should be kept indoors and the rest of the world (Europe/UK especially) saying cats should be allowed to roam free.

I'm with the latter, let cats out. People claim they can 'catify' their homes so that's it's better than outside, I've seen these set ups on YouTube and they look a little sad to me when compared to the sights sounds and smells of the outdoors, but then I'm not a cat so who knows.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
Generally cats in europe roam free. Would be weird to be obsessed to keep your cat locked up. Hilarious to me the country/culture that has the biggest advantage to letting cats roam free generally don't let them

Don't own cats and dogs if you're not going to grant them freedom of outdoors

Of course dogs in Europe don't roam free but in many countries like here in Germany by law you have to walk your dog and need a dog license. You also need health insurance for your pets and there's also a tax

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Indoor only unless you live somewhere with a lot of space and trust your neighbors.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
I'll say one thing then I'm putting the thread on ignore, I just don't have the energy for this.

- Some of the studies people site against cats being allowed out are very biased.
- I grantee many of the people saying they should be kept inside due to "environmental impact" are being massive hypocrites by eating a lot of meat, driving a car all the time, using a lot of plastics, creating excessive waste etc...

Yes, there are benefits to keeping cats inside, but some feel the risks are worth a cat having a more free existence.

The crux of it is this: don't try to tell others their way is wrong, accept that some places do it differently, and check yourself before you lecture others and tell them they have to do it the way you would.

Genuinely think this is the worst list you could have come up with.

"humans cause damage too" and "you are part of society?" lol come on

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Depends on where you live. In a city? Indoor, no exceptions. In a place with plenty of land, well, what's the area like, how are natural predators, what's the year round weather like?

OP
OP
Deadly Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State

To note: I've had a lot of cats in my life, they all lived beyond 10, they all were extremely well love and cared for. Vaccinated, neutered, well fed, and allowed to roam happily. I would never change that. Animals should be free, not caged.

Valid points, and fair enough.
My main comment is about the "don't try to tell people what they are doing is wrong." If an authority figure or org in the field were to say one over the other, would you not listen to them?

Nell

Oct 27, 2017
We've always let out cats outdoors. Always rented/lived in a place with a backyard so they can have a happier life.

Even my rabbits get to run around outside freely with the cats everyday! Being stuck in a house/apartment/cage your whole life, I definitely couldn't in good conscious do that to my pets.

kidnemo

Dec 11, 2017
Indoor only* and it's a hard line for me.

Removing my opinion on the safety for the animal completely...

The harm they do to the local ecosystems is really crazy. Cats are efficient killers and wreck absolute havoc on wildlife.

Indoor cats. Don't remove claws. Don't dock/crop. Adoption over breeders. Get your pets spay/neutered.

No grey area in my mind.

*leashed supervised animals being the exception obviously

Skyshark

Apr 26, 2021
Indoors. I don't need to be woken up at 3a because two cats outside are fighting each other.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I shouldn't have to say this, but I'm going to anyways.

You can state your case. You can debate. Just please don't be dicks to each other. Keep the personal attacks and hostilities out.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
All indoors except for this cute catio that I built; Which she loves. She loves sitting in the sun watching the squirrels frolic in the garden.
OwZm51U.png

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
My cats experss exactly zero interest in going outside. Our first kitty Mei (right) was a stray who found us, and once she got a taste of that indoor life, she never wanted back out. I could leave that front door open 24/7 and she'd never even approach the threshold. Our younger guy, Ringo (left), has never been outside so I don't even know if he thinks of it as an option, but again, no interest in even going near the door. I wouldn't mind taking them out on a leash/harness, but they hate me even trying to put a harnass on them, so too bad.

Also, Cat tax.

FXIiBH5.jpeg

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
UK here.

All our cats have been able to freely come and go during the day, and indoors at night — pretty much the standard here. They've all had long and healthy lives.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
All indoors except for this cute catio that I built.
OwZm51U.png

This is a great idea and I will definitely implement some form of "catio" when I move into a house. My husband and I adopted a stray who lived entirely outdoors. she's seemed to adjust well to indoors, but she LOVES sitting next to open windows even in -20c weather.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Outdoor, with 'supervision' as in, only when we're home ourselves, a few hours max (they always return after an hour or two). Both out cats are also chipped and neutured. We have some connected gardens and no easy access to roads so it's pretty safe. (We live in a city in The Netherlands).

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
The cats my parents had were all outdoors and never had a probem with it, though apparently their first cat was supposedly shot by a trigger-happy pigeon owner. That said, my cats are indoors only. I'm single and away from home when I'm at work, so I'd rather they just stay indoors.

/edit: I do have a mini-sized courtyard kinda thing in back that they can't get out of, so I let them out there.

Just took a quick pic (super shitty quality, it's dark as fuck out):
frsQbvm.jpg

Last edited:

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
We literally had this exact same thread nit two months ago but ok. Yes of course cats should be let outdoors. Its cruel otherwise and the cat is much happier. Before that bullshit study gets pulled out about life expectancy the data is completely skewed by stray cats. All my cats were let outdoors and lived long lives. Its completely normal here in Ireland. I feel for some of the cats owned by the indoor brigade here.

OP
OP
Deadly Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
We literally had this exact same thread nit two months ago but ok. Yes of course cats should be let outdoors. Its cruel otherwise and the cat is much happier. Before that bullshit study gets pulled out about life expectancy the data is completely skewed by stray cats. All my cats were let outdoors and lived long lives. Its completely normal here in Ireland. I feel for some of the cats owned by the indoor brigade here.

I'd ask for a study on your points of the cats being "happier." Especially cats that have never lived outdoors, are declawed (I don't support declawing) or otherwise? Our first cat was a rescue, was on the streets for 2 months and now wants nothing to do with outside. He won't even come close to the door if it's open.

N7_Kovalski

Oct 28, 2017
I would never let my babies outside. 1 would most likely run away and the other would be too scared to go outside or hide under some porch and die of starvation.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Indoor only* and it's a hard line for me.

Removing my opinion on the safety for the animal completely...

The harm they do to the local ecosystems is really crazy. Cats are efficient killers and wreck absolute havoc on wildlife.

Indoor cats. Don't remove claws. Don't dock/crop. Adoption over breeders. Get your pets spay/neutered.

No grey area in my mind.

*leashed supervised animals being the exception obviously
Agreed entirely. All my cats have been rescues. We also have coyotes and live next to a busy street. My cats are perfectly fine, loved and express no interest in going outdoors. They've been curious about the inside of my garage before-but I held them and took them inside to let them look around and sniff. Never were interested after that.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Its cruel otherwise and the cat is much happier.
How is this measured? How do you take an indoor cat and an outdoor cat side by side and measure their "happiness"? I'm curious.

Do you put greeting cards on a table and let them choose the one that most matches their mood?

IsThatHP

Oct 31, 2017
Get your cat fixed, do a catio if you can. Get involved with local TNR groups if you're concerned about a large number of strays/ferals.

There are cats that are perfectly content indoors, but also cats that prefer outdoors to fulfill their hunting instinct (usually ones that are brought inside after being past the point of being able to be successfully socialized around humans, age-wise. People think that usually the 8 month old mark is when that window closes)

I also agree with the poster above that there is an anti-cat bias usually wrapped up in vague environmental concerns; did anyone see Gizmodo or some G/O site put up a list last month or two that was like "EIGHT ANIMALS DRIVEN TO NEAR EXTINCTION BY CATS" and among the list was like...uh, feral cats in danger of becoming less feral (???) and an endangered bird whose aviary in Australia wasn't properly secured so a cat snuck in once, lol.

Really, just defer to Jackson galaxy with this stuff y'all.

viral

Oct 25, 2017
How is this measured? How do you take an indoor cat and an outdoor cat side by side and measure their "happiness"? I'm curious.

Let an inside cat outside for a day and see if it wants to go back. Do the same for outside cats.

How would a cat whose never been outdoors know how to properly hunt, survive, and keep itself alive? Alos, what about declawed cats?

Are you confusing stray cats with outside cats? Outdoor cats don't need to hunt or survive, they just chill in the backyard and roam the neighborhood sometimes. You still have to feed them, take them to the vet, etc. Declawing is not even worth discussing, if you declaw your cat you already failed as a human being pet owner regardless of where you keep your cat.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Let an inside cat outside for a day and see if it wants to go back. Do the same for outside cats.
OK I did that and the cat got eaten by a coyote before I could measure the happiness index. Instructions unclear.

Glad to see the poll results are reflecting sanity and normalcy.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
How would a cat whose never been outdoors know how to properly hunt, survive, and keep itself alive? Also, what about declawed cats?

I don't know how to do those things and I fair pretty well outside. You're not sending your cat to live on it's own, just to go out for a bit to enjoy the sun.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
I'm in a situation where I was able to enclose an outdoor area where they can go anytime during the day. I also take them out into the real world twice a day for walks. All 3 cats are leash trained. Feel very fortunate.