• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Haruko

Oct 25, 2017
It's gonna take weeks for me to get the Rebel Wilson number out of my mind, and it has little to do with Rebel Wilson.

Are you telling me that the Pekes and the Pollicles are more frightening than Corden's Bustopher Jones?

Everything I've seen from the trailer of Corden's Bustopher makes me miss the broadway film's version:

STK8PoJ.gif

That said, I just bought 8 tickets to see it this Saturday with my siblings/+1s

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
You've really seen it? Ok, who had the best song, and why wasnt it Skimbleshanks?

I'm a T-Swizzle fan so I loved the song she wrote for the movie. She does not perform it in the film though. Skimbleshanks' song was fun and the guy playing him can dance up a storm. Though he's not the strongest singer.

I kinda did. It seesawed between utterly insane and kinda good? I legitimately liked Beautiful Ghosts and Jennifer Hudson trying like hell to win another Oscar.

Are you telling me that the Pekes and the Pollicles are more frightening than Corden's Bustopher Jones?

Everything I've seen from the trailer of Corden's Bustopher makes me miss the broadway film's version:

STK8PoJ.gif

That said, I just bought 7 tickets to see it this Saturday with my siblings/+1s

I have never seen the musical, but just reading up on it, I don't think the Pekes and Pollicles are in the movie. And Bustopher, while terrifying, can't match the Rebel Wilson number. And for all the fun people have had watching Corden dive into a garbage can in the trailer, the full movie has something they'll love even more.

Oh fuck me, no no please.

You serious? If this shit is done in a realistic manner I think I'm going to vomit in my popcorn bucket.

I regret to inform you that he is serious. It is far and away the craziest thing I've ever seen in a movie theater. It's as realistic as anything else in the movie. I don't know if this helps, but every animal in the movie is played by a human.

will I die?

hint: I am easily killed by shame and awkwardness

You're gonna be 6 feet under by the end of the first 30 minutes, if not sooner.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I regret to inform you that he is serious. It is far and away the craziest thing I've ever seen in a movie theater. It's as realistic as anything else in the movie. I don't know if this helps, but every animal in the movie is played by a human.
What the actual fuck Tom Hooper's problem.

Goddamn I don't know if I should be impressed or utterly disgusted as someone who has serious aversion to that shit. I just know I'm going hate this scene so freaking much but also curious to see who they convinced to play this part.

Dammit Cats.

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
I'm a T-Swizzle fan so I loved the song she wrote for the movie. She does not perform it in the film though. Skimbleshanks' song was fun and the guy playing him can dance up a storm. Though he's not the strongest singer.

That's all I needed to hear. As long as he has his song and it's fun, I'm satisfied.

Shame that Pekes and Pollicles aren't in, that's another fun one from the Broadway movie.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
i aint never seen a cats production in any form so i still dont know how jellices is supposed to be pronounced

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
I never doubted this film

My Friday night and Saturday afternoon ticket purchases remain satisfying. If this weekend of film provides nothing else I enjoy, I take comfort knowing it's at least going to give me this instant classic

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
I've gotta get this off my chest or I'm gonna explode. Some thoughts on the movie before I head off to bed, from someone who knew nothing about the musical:

• The movie is legitimately pretty. Great colors and really good set design. Director Tom Hooper manages to mostly stay away from any crazy angles or weird closeups.
  • The movie starts with a human, an actual human, chucking a bag containing the main character into an alley. Cue a big song number, maybe a minute into the movie, with all the "cats" starting off on all fours.
  • The main character, despite appearing in early every scene, does not talk much. She has a couple half-songs. There's a character she meets really early on who talks much more, but I don't remember his name ever being said. I'm sure it was suitably crazy.
  • Rebel Wilson is, as you probably guessed, essentially playing herself. There are goofy jokes and lots of broad, physical humor.
  • At one point during her big musical number she unzips her fur like it's a onesie to reveal a skimpy dress over more fur underneath. Seriously. I swear to god this happened. And then it happened again near the end of the movie. No one else ever does this in the film.
  • The second half of her big musical number is the single craziest thing I've ever seen in a movie theater. Or even near a movie theater. I'm saving it for last because, just, wow.
  • Jason Derulo was... kinda good? He had a fun presence and danced well. His song was the thirstiest in the film, though it was not well served coming mere moments after something that will completely sap your sex drive (it's that thing I'm saving for last). Also he spoke with a British accent because why the hell not.
  • James Corden gets a nut shot. You may send your thanks directly to Tom Hooper.
  • His whole musical number is about being fat and eating garbage. Again, send your thanks directly to Tom Hooper, though be sure to send another thank you card to Andrew Lloyd Webber.
  • Most cats do not have shoes, but instead have human feet covered in fur. Though there are two (twin?) cats who wear sneakers. And only sneakers if memory serves. And Taylor Swift wears heels.
  • Their hands are just flat out human hands. No fur, no nothing. Which just makes them really weird. Tom Hooper somehow made normal human hands weird in this move.
  • Jennifer Hudson tries her damnedest to win another Oscar. She puts 150% into her brief appearances. She sings the hell out of Memories.
  • The song Taylor wrote is integrated into the movie as a kind of response to Memories. And damn it all if it doesn't work really well. Which just makes the movie even weirder. I came here for Rebel Wilson unzipping her "fur," not genuine emotion.
  • For the first half of the movie I thought Idris Elba was killing people. He just poofs them away like they're getting kidnapped by Nightcrawler. It was kinda disappointing to learn that he wasn't.
  • Dame Judie Dench is playing a character named Old Deuteronomy, a name I find delightful in it's sheer craziness. At one point, someone calls her "Old Deut."
  • Here's a sentence I never thought I'd write: I think I genuinely connected with Mr. Mephistopheles. The actor was good, danced well, and I kinda liked his story line.
  • I did not expect to see Sir Ian McKellan meow in my lifetime, but here we are.
  • He has one big scene where he gives a genuinely good monologue/song. As a cat. Like, he brings all of his talents as a thespian to a speech/song about being a forgotten actor, which is pretty affecting, but would have been much more affecting if he wasn't, you know, a cat.
  • He, at one point, laps milk from a bowl. I was not expecting that either.
  • The second half of the movie is basically one fun musical number after another. It almost gets disappointing because, aside from the whole "digital fur technology" bit, it's pretty normal musical stuff. I demand weirdness.
  • I guess Taylor Swift dosing everyone with cat marijuana without telling them was pretty weird, but it mostly just made everyone sleepy. That was almost quaint by this movie's standards.
  • Dame Judy Dench kills Jennifer Hudson. Oh sure, the movie wants you to think "Old Deuteronomy" (seriously, what a name) has chosen "Grizabella" to be reborn in a new life, but it sure looks like she sends JHud into the sky to eventually crash back down to earth and die.
  • The finale of the movie is most of the cats singing and dancing during dawn as JHud floats away. During this, it keeps cutting back to Dame Judy Dench who sings directly to the audience. Like, the last thing in this movie is someone completely breaking the 4th wall to tell the audience what cats are. What are cats? They're not dogs. That's an honest-to-god line from the song.
  • The CG was mostly fantastic. I'm fairly certain huge chunks of the sets were entirely CG, but it was really hard to tell most of the time.
  • But there were flaws. The ground was, seemingly, frequently CG. Dancers' feet had weird shadows and sometimes seemed to float a little. And once I swear I saw part of a cobblestone street bounce.
  • There was a beam that several cats were dancing on during Skrimbleshank's number that, for one shot, had noticeably aliasing like I was looking at a Nintendo game.
  • I swear the faces of some less important cats were blurred sometimes. Their bodies would be in focus, but their faces were blurry, like the filmmakers were trying to cover up some sub-par CG.
  • Okay, let's finish with the absolute madness from the beginning. I'm going to go to a second level of spoiler tags because, you know, everyone should experience this craziness unspoiled. Also, warning for those with weak stomachs. Seriously.
    So Rebel Wilson (I don't remember her character's name, sorry) is seemingly a house cat. Her musical number takes her around the house. At one point, she opens up a cabinet under a sink in the kitchen and there are mice she has taught to sing and dance. They're kids CG'd into mice. Cat Rebel Wilson calls them "dinner and a show." She then runs to the kitchen table and that's when things get bananas. She opens up a box with something else she has taught to dance: beetles. Well, she says beetles but they're not beetles. They're cockroaches. Poor, poor dancers who have been made into cockroaches by the same machines that took man to the moon. We're not done yet. They start dancing up the table, eventually reaching the top, where they march right up on top of a strawberry-topped cake. Still, we're not done. They then start dancing on the cake while Cat Rebel grabs a couple and eats them. Meanwhile, many other cats are watching this as if it was enchanting. Dear reader, it was not. It was not at all.
I never doubted this film

My Friday night and Saturday afternoon ticket purchases remain satisfying. If this weekend of film provides nothing else I enjoy, I take comfort knowing it's at least going to give me this instant classic

That is a pretty accurate summation of this film.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
That Rebel Wilson spoiler reveal was not worth the build up. Nothing horny about it.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So do we know what VFX Company worked on Cats yet? Was it MPC Vancouver who had to shutter doors recently? I sorta want to know.

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
i've booked a ticket. i'm actually going to see Cats... on my lonesome. there i'm gonna be, sat on my own, watching this weirdass movie. i'm scared

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, they fucking cut The Awefull Battle of the Pekes and the Pollicles? That was my favourite song :(

<_<
>_>

They cut it because of the "heathen Chinese" part, didn't they?

Last edited:

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Will CATS have a higher Tomato score than Star Wars? Some reviews are popping up showing it could. I'm guessing ~75%