• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Cool, we really should celebrate this. Hooray to censorship.

The same people who say this will then go on garbage youtube channels to complain about a "gay SJW agenda" infecting naughty dog cause two girls kissed on screen and that they should censor their own works. Its not a legitimate concern, its simply a far right reactionary attitude to things some are uncomfortable with. that's the real snowflakeism.

I get wanting a developers vision to be preserved, but many of these "free speech" folks are just being disingenuous hacks and hiding what they really want to say.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Yeah, to be clear I don't think Vincent (or Yosuke) are well handled in that regard. Rather that in principal you could make shitty characters who are shitty and address that conversation well. I do think Vincent's dialogue is a reflection of cultural lack of understanding rather than a nuanced take or an intentionally shitty person in that specific regard (he is evidently intentionally shitty in regards to cheating on Katherine should the player go that way, haha).

Apologies if this came off as caping for 'em. Vincent's dialogue was just always the small potatoes for me, but that doesn't mean they're not potatoes at all and I acknowledge that.

Well, I think telling a trans woman she's not a woman is pretty large-sized potatoes. :/

""""""""""Censorship"""""""""

(apologies for the decuple quote; Era's post character limit isn't enough to put all the quotes this deserves).

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Kudos for Atlus USA for trying to address that shit but unless attitudes within Atlus JP changes at large this will keep on happening this is nothing less and nothing more than them sweeping it under the rug in my eyes.

Also fixing Erica's stuff while nothing is said about Rin's treament is just Atlus JP correcting in one place just to redo the same shit on another character ...

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I was expecting Atlus USA to attempt to clean up this mess; good on them for doing it.

The problem was always Atlus in Japan though. This should've given them a wake-up call, but i'm sure it did nothing.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to hear this. Actually really liked Erica and that she actually offered some trans representation when I played through the game, and in my naivety took the crappy comments as just the other characters being blatant asses... but that was in large part because I had missed the freaking deadnaming in the credits, which is damning there and super awful. So yeah, something being done about that is definitely good.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
The really telling thing is that by and large, japanese developers don't care that much about western players' opinions, but even when you take that into consideration, the japanese LGBT+ community has been criticizing Atlus for quite a while and they haven't listened to them either. So I think they just plain don't care, and don't see a reason to change anything.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Localisation by definition is switching things around to make better sense to the audience that is viewing the product. It's different then a translation. The west is tolerant of transgender people. Moral people here do not accept such horrible discrimination and bigotry.

So no it's not censorship. It's localisation. Done by the company who made it. There should be zero issue with what has been done here.

Sep 3, 2018
but i'm much more curious how they'll handle
rin's route
, as it has the potential to actually be pretty positive queer rep if handled a bit more gracefully
Yeah, this one isn't terrible on its own, but there are some things that could be ironed out.
I wish they hadn't defaulted to Gay Rep = Very Girlish Boy, but this is probably the best we're getting from Atlus for a while.

DVCY201

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I'm glad they're trying to tackle it, but I'm a bit worried it's too rooted throughout the game to fully address now. I'm not sure if I still want to pre-order or not for the lovely steelbook.

I could only justify Vincent's dialogue if it actually meant he'd grow as a character and accept Erica, but it's largely just punching down. Man, I loved Catherine, I can't believe how problematic this new version seems, moreso than the original.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

dfg1.png

Enjoy your ban bigot.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even if I put myself in their myopic, hateful shoes, I can't even imagine getting upset over this change like those reactionary gamers

They cling to the slippery slope argument as if mitigating transphobia isn't a blatant net positive and throw out censorship without really thinking about it

It's useless to reason with them but they always manage to lower the bar

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Anything AT ALL changed = censorship to the gamer gaters lmao Trash

This is good. Though the problem lies with Atlus, I'm eager to see if Royal still has those insanely homophobic scenes that add nothing to the game.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Hopefully this means ATLUS' main branch might learn something from the US one. I might even get the next Persona if they take out the bigotry.

Ashilyn

Oct 27, 2017
All of this is great and all, but I have my doubts that it'll change the underlying intentions and meanings so it doesn't really change my mind - as a trans person, knowing the game was like this ever makes it hard to justify getting it, particularly since Full Body doubled down on it's messages.

I loved this game when it came out, I just wish I'd realised then hwo trash it was so I wouldn't feel so weird about passing on it now.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
How is the rin storyline anyway? I played through the original game a couple years ago and actually kind of really loved the block sliding gameplay, a lot. I don't think I'd play through it again for the (K)Catherine stuff, but if Rin is interesting fun maybe I'd give it another go.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
This still coming to Vita right? Will the Vita version have a physical release? I'm only buying physical Vita games nowadays because I fear PSN support for Vita might end at any time.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
How is the rin storyline anyway? I played through the original game a couple years ago and actually kind of really loved the block sliding gameplay, a lot. I don't think I'd play through it again for the (K)Catherine stuff, but if Rin is interesting fun maybe I'd give it another go.
It's very good, and Vincent goes through some much-needed redemption.

This still coming to Vita right? Will the Vita version have a physical release? I'm only buying physical Vita games nowadays because I fear PSN support for Vita might end at any time.

Vita version was JP only. We're not getting it localized.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I might pick up Full Body now, kudos to Atlus US for doing this and maybe this will send a message to Atlus JP about the understanding the problems with their materials. It's a longshot, but who knows.

About this, has a company ever got angry over the way a game was localizated?

The closest example I can think of it's the whole mess involving Kojima and Jeremy Blaustein over the first MGS game. At least what I recall reading makes it seem so i.e Kojima fuming because Blaustein localizated the game instead of doing a direct translation.

Not to refute this or anything, but Blaustein has said in more recent(ish) interviews that it might have been miscommunications and possibly someone telling Kojima that Blaustein was misinterpreting his script (I might need to relisten to that part) when he actually needed to localize for it flow better and make sense.

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
Changing it in the USA release is not enough. A true apology would be to patch the Japanese one.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Good on Atlus USA. Hope they give P5R the same treatment.
That's what I'm the most curious about at this point. If I recall, didn't they remove some transphobic content from Persona 3: FES? Maybe there's hope that the same could happen with Persona 5 Royal.

Last edited:

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I'm pretty heavily anti-over-localization (aka what should be claimed rather than "censorship".) Like, I think the approach taken in Xenoblade 2 with names is unnecessary and crap, and I get it from crap like the 4Kids days of localization. You'll really bug me with arbitrary name changes and stuff when localizing, etc (aka Phoenix Wright name changes make sense, but Detective Conan, not so much.) But that said...

Seriously, can't even imagine being that way here. It's just fucking stupid. This is good and the right thing to do, flat out, even if it would be better if the Japanese side had fixed it themselves.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It gets better and better.

Good lord that Twitter feed

"reading Resetera has made me more critical, more spiteful towards the topic of transgender people "

I'm pretty sure people existing isn't a "topic" and you can't pretend you're fine with them existing if you're also fine with them being actively mocked and dehumanized. Stop trying to justify bigotry, it's as bad as saying you're friends with someone because "they're one of the good ones."

and since I'm sure you're still reading this thread, despite putting on airs that you really don't wanna, stop using gifs like a buzzfeed grandma

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
This sounds good. Never did play Catherine, but hope this leads to Atlus no longer putting that shit from the get go.

More looking forward to P5R, especially with me being late for that party. Apparently you guys mentioned transphobic content there as well? If so, definitely hope that is rid of as well.

I'm just baffled at most of the social media reactions!