• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Need to decide whether I should buy this or finish the PC version.

I kind of want to have the original experience and I feel like the third character could detract from that too much. Maybe the additions will be good though.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
And there's another problem that I bet no reviewers are going to address: the online is still broken. Games crash almost instantly.

Thanks for nothing, Atlus USA.

Just skimmed some reviews, and nope. They just mention 'and it has online now!'
It can be hard to review that component when the game's not out and no one else is playing.

We'll have a proper look at how the English version's works now that it's released.

I had a match last night against someone with a 1-bar connection. Felt laggy, but it seemed to conclude properly.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
It can be hard to review that component when the game's not out and no one else is playing.

We'll have a proper look at how the English version's works now that it's released.

I had a match last night against someone with a 1-bar connection. Felt laggy, but it seemed to conclude properly.

Keep at it, I'm sure it'll happen to you. You MIGHT finish a match if you're fast.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017

I tried it with a friend for my review and it wasn't working. Mentioned it on my review, wonder if it'll be fixed soon.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I tried it with a friend for my review and it wasn't working. Mentioned it on my review, wonder if it'll be fixed soon.
If we go by Atlus' past history of patching games and the Japanese release, I'd say it's highly unlikely. If it turns out the online mode in this game is borked, that'd be extremely unfortunate seeing how that was one of the things I wanted the most in Full Body.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
If we go by Atlus' past history of patching games and the Japanese release, I'd say it's highly unlikely. If it turns out the online mode in this game is borked, that'd be extremely unfortunate seeing how that was one of the things I wanted the most in Full Body.

Well, on my end, I can confirm that it's indeed botched and not the case of no one looking for online matches.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Well, on my end, I can confirm that it's indeed botched and not the case of no one looking for online matches.
Is that affecting the actual matchmaking, or are the problems happening only happening within matches though?

I've gotten into 4 so far, and 3/4 have had connection issues. One of them just had my character freeze up as the opponent was above; I think we both froze? It completed, though. Now that I think about it, I think that had happened in the first match I had, too.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Is that affecting the actual matchmaking, or are the problems happening only happening within matches though?

I've gotten into 4 so far, and 3/4 have had connection issues. One of them just had my character freeze up as the opponent was above; I think we both froze? It completed, though. Now that I think about it, I think that had happened in the first match I had, too.

All matches I've tried, my character was climbing while the other player stayed at the beginning of the stage for up to a minute, until we both got kicked out of the match. For him, it was me who stayed at the beginning of the stage.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm coming fresh to this one. Did they finally repair Axis Mundi on Solo this time? Man, I remember trying so hard to beat that last level, but, until a certain point, it bugged and completely turned into bullshit.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
Wish people in this thread were more critical of this game's transphobic elements. I'm not a fan of the number of folks saying "omg can't wait to play this!!" and nothing else.

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017
Got the game today, can't wait to play it. It's been almost 10 years, I want to check for myself how they handle Rin and Erica.

I'm bummed about people saying that they wish Rin was treated differently, but Rin is a love interest so I wonder how her endings are handled.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Wish people in this thread were more critical of this game's transphobic elements. I'm not a fan of the number of folks saying "omg can't wait to play this!!" and nothing else.

This is probably nobody will bother making an OT for the game.

People can be excited to give the game a try and still reject the problematic elements of a game and be socially conscientious & treat all people around with proper respect. This is Era, so obviously there is a much greater progressive attitude towards things.

Everything/everyone deserves to be treated with respect, but different cultures & ideals might not match here.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
This is probably nobody will bother making an OT for the game.

People can be excited to give the game a try and still reject the problematic elements of a game and be socially conscientious & treat all people around with proper respect. This is Era, so obviously there is a much greater progressive attitude towards things.

Everything/everyone deserves to be treated with respect, but different cultures & ideals might not match here.
If anyone wants to discuss the game, they're welcome to use the import thread. I have no objection.

Syrenne

Producer of Manifold Garden
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
EDIT: Just remembered, this isn't in the game, but I believe in the original Japanese artbook Erica is deadnamed there too, as some of the devs talk about what a great twist it was, and how the nightmares show "She's not a real woman". Don't have the exact details on me, but if you want proof of intent...

Have the art book (was given to me as a joke,) and yup they seem real proud of that clever "twist". It's a lot.

And yeah it sure sucks to see people not caring or glossing over blatant transphobia but on the other hand is it surprising? No. It's one of the last socially accepted forms of discrimination.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
(Author of the Medium piece here)

Yeah, there's not much Atlus USA could have done with this release because of how ingrained the shit is with the product itself.

The review embargo (the agreement reviewers must make in order to get early access to the game) says I can't show footage of the problematic shit until launch day, but I have it all recorded if anyone wants to judge for themselves the severity of the fuckups. Personally as someone who self-identifies as part of the LGBTQIA+ community? Yikes yikes yikes
Thanks for the heads up. Gonna pass on this.

Liferebooted

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Played about 6 hours of the game today, its just as amazing as it was on ps3\360.

Oct 27, 2017
Reading over some of the reviews, sounds like some typical Atlus style re-release shenanigans. New character isn't particularly well written and is poorly integrated into an already established story. Marie all over again. Except this time, at least, I guess you need to actually choose the new route to get the worst of it unlike that game where it is essentially required.

This on top of Atlus's, uh, dubious history on certain types of people and themes makes it seem like a pretty easy pass for me personally. Here's hoping P5R can be the one they finally get right?

Liferebooted

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Reading over some of the reviews, sounds like some typical Atlus style re-release shenanigans. New character isn't particularly well written and is poorly integrated into an already established story. Marie all over again. Except this time, at least, I guess you need to actually choose the new route to get the worst of it unlike that game where it is essentially required.

This on top of Atlus's, uh, dubious history on certain types of people and themes makes it seem like a pretty easy pass for me personally. Here's hoping P5R can be the one they finally get right?
This game is amazing, it is done right.

Oct 27, 2017
This game is amazing, it is done right.
I mean, just reading about how they handle certain elements tells me that large components of the story are NOT done right, so. On top of how hamfisted some of the shoehorning of Rin seems to be. There's too much to play to revisit an already imperfect game made even more so. This is not my first rodeo with these Atlus remake-lite games so I know what to generally expect from them and this one sounds like it checks all those boxes with a healthy sprinkle of transphobia on top.

Last edited:

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'll buy this just because it's atlus, Ive heard of this for awhile but I know nothing about it. playing persona 5 really changed the rpg game for me, then I went to p4, then SMT:N.... craving anything they put out atm.

Saray

Nov 26, 2018
Any chance this is coming to PC?. I love the original and i am thinking of buying it for ps4, but i would hate to buy it now if in a couple of months is announced for PC.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Any chance this is coming to PC?. I love the original and i am thinking of buying it for ps4, but i would hate to buy it now if in a couple of months is announced for PC.
If it releases somewhere else, it'll be in a few years, not months. I'd say you can buy it now without much remorse, or wait for a discount, though Atlus/Sega don't lower prices the way other companies do.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
There's a PC version available, but it's only the original Catherine from the ps3. The chances for Full body to hit the PC as well are slim and probably a few years of, if ever.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
The steel case with Rin is beautiful

Just came to say the steel case is absolutely amazing.

I'm jeaulous, can't afford any games right now. I'm a sucker for steel cases.

In P4G you could ignore Marie's SL and consequently her dungeon. It wasn't required at all.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

The integration part isn't true at all. They redid old cutscenes and added new cutscenes in a way that as someone who hasn't played the game in years, I frequently can't even tell the difference between the new content and original stuff.