• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
catherine-full-body-review.jpg

Metacritic - 82
Open Critic - 81

Dual Shockers - 9 (Catherine: Full Body is a complete package that's great for both newcomers and returning fans alike.)

IGN Japan - 85

GameSpot - 8 (Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back Rin.)

USGamer - 70 (The Persona team's puzzle-romance horror returns for a PlayStation 4 makeover.)

Deleted member 16025

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eagerly awaiting the shipping notification for my Premium Edition. Glad to see the positive reviews coming in!

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Really curious to learn how certain scenes are in the English version. Are spoilers out there, and if so should there be a spoiler thread?

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Same scores as the original then. Will be nice for those that never played it.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather not spoil myself too much in case I'd like to play--can you give me a basic rundown of if it actually took out the new shitty stuff? And if they didnt take it all out, how bad is the remaining stuff?

They didn't change anything except Erica's name in the credits. The bad stuff (including the things from the original game) are still there. There's some...sketchy stuff in typical Atlus fashion.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather not spoil myself too much in case I'd like to play--can you give me a basic rundown of if it actually took out the new shitty stuff? And if they didnt take it all out, how bad is the remaining stuff?
The new ending that caused a huge uproar: Still there.
Credits thing that was in the original: Removed/fixed.
Rin stuff: Still there.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
They didn't change anything except Erica's name in the credits. The bad stuff (including the things from the original game) are still there. There's some...sketchy stuff in typical Atlus fashion.
I do agree with the Medium article that I think stuff like fixing that one ending is definitely a nigh impossible task for Atlus USA, and the problem lies in Atlus Japan.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
I was only able to play this halfway back then.

I suck at this game but hopefully 2nd time's the charm.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
So the localization doesn't deadname Erica in the credits, but also doesn't do much to rid the game of other transphobia? If so, I'm out.

chronos4590

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So torn on this. I hope the localization picked up the trash transphobia best they could. Can't even be mad at how sudden this release feels didn't wanna pay full price for it considering the controversy anyway. I'll be patient and wait things out 😭. Shame cause the original game is so good.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Not surprised that Atlus USA wasn't able to do much to remove the shitty content but still disappointed.

I was initially really excited when this was announced as the original is one of my favourite games of last gen but the entire handling of Rin is off putting to say the least and the fact that they didn't address any of the transphobic content from the original just makes it worse.

What a bummer.

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
Probably going to wait til this game drops a bit more in price. Had a great time with it the last time, and I'm eventually looking forward to doing it again.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
The new ending that caused a huge uproar: Still there.
Credits thing that was in the original: Removed/fixed.
Rin stuff: Still there.

Yikes okay will have to pass. I loved the original barring the transphobic stuff (which a lot went over my head as I was not super well educated on the topic) and was looking forward to playing again so long as it wasn't gross.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Hard to believe how excited I am to play this again. With new story content, Remix Mode and online (as long as it works), it's almost like discovering it for the first time.

Syrenne

Producer of Manifold Garden
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
(Author of the Medium piece here)

Yeah, there's not much Atlus USA could have done with this release because of how ingrained the shit is with the product itself.

The review embargo (the agreement reviewers must make in order to get early access to the game) says I can't show footage of the problematic shit until launch day, but I have it all recorded if anyone wants to judge for themselves the severity of the fuckups. Personally as someone who self-identifies as part of the LGBTQIA+ community? Yikes yikes yikes

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
I wish the trans stuff was better but the original was my favorite game ever for so many reasons that it is hard for me to hard pass this new version. Shame on those at Atlus JP for giving others a reason not to see that themselves.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
(Author of the Medium piece here)

Yeah, there's not much Atlus USA could have done with this release because of how ingrained the shit is with the product itself.

The review embargo (the agreement reviewers must make in order to get early access to the game) says I can't show footage of the problematic shit until launch day, but I have it all recorded if anyone wants to judge for themselves the severity of the fuckups. Personally as someone who self-identifies as part of the LGBTQIA+ community? Yikes yikes yikes
If you don't mind me asking how do you feel about...
how the romance between Rin and Vincent is portrayed?

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely think we need a new thread, letting people know the game is still transphobic. We had a thread previously about how the localization was going to remove the bigotry, which we now know they didn't.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Is this 30fps like the PS3 game ? I feel like some levels (which I am still stuck on the PS3 game) could benefit from 60fps responsiveness.

honestrade

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In my top 5 games from last gen. Wish I had time to experience it again. It's pretty challenging, and the multiplayer is really fun as well.

Syrenne

Producer of Manifold Garden
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
If you don't mind me asking how do you feel about...
how the romance between Rin and Vincent is portrayed?

I can answer that! SPOILERS!
Sooooooo...it's...not great? So the game in its internal logic views Rin as a boy, not a trans woman. With that in mind, a lot of the conversations surrounding Vincent's decision to fall for Rin are quite frustrating, with his friends being bad about the whole thing. Katherine makes a remark about how if he really fell for someone who wasn't a woman, she herself never had a chance. Where it gets more iffy is that the game basically justifies Vincent pursuing her as "he's willing to overlook something insignificant like gender," which the game then immediately pivots away from to "well, if you ignored gender, I guess you should be able to ignore species." (Rin is an alien) Which.........YIKES! That's my read on it but they basically drop the whole gender thing once they reveal that the REAL thing with her is that she's not human.

As far as how they fall for each other, it's extremely sudden and out of nowhere. Rin just says "I love you" after like 5 days of knowing each other, and Vincent doesn't even believe her at first. On Day 6 if you pursue the Rin route he just pivots as a character to only really caring about her. It's jarring, but also the game is very short and takes place over 8-10 nights (depending on route,) so like...it was never going to be well fleshed out I guess.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can answer that! SPOILERS!
Sooooooo...it's...not great? So the game in its internal logic views Rin as a boy, not a trans woman. With that in mind, a lot of the conversations surrounding Vincent's decision to fall for Rin are quite frustrating, with his friends being bad about the whole thing. Katherine makes a remark about how if he really fell for someone who wasn't a woman, she herself never had a chance. Where it gets more iffy is that the game basically justifies Vincent pursuing her as "he's willing to overlook something insignificant like gender," which the game then immediately pivots away from to "well, if you ignored gender, I guess you should be able to ignore species." (Rin is an alien) Which.........YIKES! That's my read on it but they basically drop the whole gender thing once they reveal that the REAL thing with her is that she's not human.

As far as how they fall for each other, it's extremely sudden and out of nowhere. Rin just says "I love you" after like 5 days of knowing each other, and Vincent doesn't even believe her at first. On Day 6 if you pursue the Rin route he just pivots as a character to only really caring about her. It's jarring, but also the game is very short and takes place over 8-10 nights (depending on route,) so like...it was never going to be well fleshed out I guess.
I appreciate it.
I wasn't expecting anything amazing but still sad it's got issues. It could have been worse I guess. I hope the fact there even touching this subject shows they'll grow more but we'll see.

Again thanks for answering.