• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So in the interest of keeping the conversation on the right track, I've done some research now that the game is out to make sure that I am (and thus this thread) not misrepresenting the game on how it presents things, by skimming through the cutscenes for the new route. If the purpose of this thread is call Catherine out on how it presents gender, then I want to call it out for things the game does and not second hand information.

So, quickly, here's how some of the problematic elements are specifically presented in game, without too much commentary from me.

-The gender reveal segment
In the scene, Vincent accidentally sees Rin in a compromising position, where he can see... downstairs, after they have fallen unconscious due to their shower not working. At this point, he has already thought of Rin as attractive. Vincent has an anime style, over the top, "GASP" moment where his mind has apparently stopped working. He asks "Are you a guy", to which Rin confidently responds "yes that's right". Vincent then spends a while thinking about the situation, and when Rin asks if he's alright he slaps their hand away and says "Don't touch me". Rin runs off.

Vincent then regrets his actions, and Erica later calls him out for being an ass. It's at this point that the pronouns for Rin change from she/her to he/him.

-Trans coding
As stated in my opening post, articles claimed that the results thingy of the final stages of Rin's route featured the colours of the trans flag.
Here's a picture of the trans flag from wikipedia:
1920px-Transgender_Pride_flag.svg.png

And here's a quick screengrab I took from a video by youtube user DismArchus, "Catherine: Full Body- Close Encounter EX Stage (10th Day) (JPN) | Standard-Normal [All Gold Prizes]":
Vrd3T6B.png

Now there's no white here, but the pink and blue shades are pretty similar (I'm slightly colourblind, so this is all I'm willing to commit to lol). This is notable because the game normally uses blue and pink anyway, but they're much bolder variations that don't have the same queer link. These colours are also roughly part of Rin's design, and Rin's design even features the colour white. (Again, slightly colour blind, so ymmv, but it's pretty similar at the very least)

-Queer stuff
So I'm not going to go completely in depth here because this increasingly just becomes the plot in general towards the end, but broadly Rin's route ends up being about challenging preconceived notions about love, and not letting gender/being an angel/being an alien stand in your way. There's a few things that I feel are worth mentioning. Someone, I think it may have been Erica? Says that "same sex couples are getting more common nowadays". Or something like that. Toby also *seems* to have a more friendly relationship with Erica in the new scenes, although this doesn't erase the fact that he still deadnames her in one ending.
There's also the fact that Rin's piano playing "Opens people up to new ideas". For Vincent specifically he claims that he would have fallen for Rin anyway, but it's a wrinkle that you can think about.

-The aliens
Not much new to say here other than wow they really are played for comedy in the majority of Rin's ending, huh.

I've got complicated thoughts on all of this new information, which I'll probably post about in detail later. Short version though, there's a lot that I wish I knew before I made this thread, for both good and bad reasons? The broad points are still right and I stand by them, and Fully Body is in fact, still transphobic and bad. But not only is there some better than expected nuance worth discussing here in regards to the bad things and how they're ultimately handled, there's also some bad subtexty things that I haven't seen raised yet.
It's a complicated discussion, I'll be back later with personal thoughts, but here you go. Criticising things is hard, even if you're broadly right!

I'm glad you took a closer look at it because, honestly, i stand by the idea that the game is genuinely trying in its own misguided way to present a positive view of queerness through rin's route. hashino even mentioned in an interview that they wanted to do something like rin's route in the original game but didn't think people would've been as accepting of it a few years ago. the main problem is it's written by a bunch of very ignorant straight people who do not understand the complexity of gender, sexuality, etc. and thus ends up doing a lot of insensitive shit - conflating cross-dressing and transness most prominently, which is not uncommon amongst The Straights and shows a pretty fatal lack of actually consulting any queer people about any of this.

despite the fact that it handles a lot of the aspects of both erica and rin's characters very poorly, i also think it's a bit unfair to write all of it off as "atlus hates gay people" - I think the existence of the rin route at all shows that's not true. but if they're going to try handling this kind of subject matter they need to get a lot better at it.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
I don't really think it's fair to blame the American division. I don't have any experience in localization, but from what I understand they're pretty limited in what they're allowed to do sometimes. It's possible that even if they did have full control they didn't have the budget to do that level of rewriting.

Yeah I don't really think blaming Atlus USA makes sense for three reasons:

1. As you said, there's only so much they can do to paper over the transphobia in the product when it's that deeply seeded and important to the story.

2. Even if they could do more, I don't think it's unreasonable to argue that the localization softening the transphobia doesn't erase it from the original product, which still exists and is harmful to the japanese LGBT+ community, and your money would still go to transphobes.

3. Atlus USA isn't the one who made the game. They shouldn't be held responsible for cleaning up Atlus JP's mess in the first place.

My main hope at this point is that Full Body mega bombs and Atlus loses a ton of money from releasing it. It's the only way they learn.

Even if Full Body bombs that doesn't necessarily mean Atlus will take the right lessons from it. They could just as easily conclude "we shouldn't make games with adult protagonists and themes anymore because the market isn't interested".

OP
OP
Lozange

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad you took a closer look at it because, honestly, i stand by the idea that the game is genuinely trying in its own misguided way to present a positive view of queerness through rin's route. hashino even mentioned in an interview that they wanted to do something like rin's route in the original game but didn't think people would've been as accepting of it a few years ago. the main problem is it's written by a bunch of very ignorant straight people who do not understand the complexity of gender, sexuality, etc. and thus ends up doing a lot of insensitive shit - conflating cross-dressing and transness most prominently, which is not uncommon amongst The Straights and shows a pretty fatal lack of actually consulting any queer people about any of this.

despite the fact that it handles a lot of the aspects of both erica and rin's characters very poorly, i also think it's a bit unfair to write all of it off as "atlus hates gay people" - I think the existence of the rin route at all shows that's not true. but if they're going to try handling this kind of subject matter they need to get a lot better at it.

Yeah I think I'd agree that the writing is just VERY insensitive and ignorant, and therefore malicious, rather than being a point A to point B sort of deal. There's a core idea in Rin's route that I think has promise, and that idea is that "maybe Vincent needs to think outside the box for what he wants from his love life". That's "Oh shit I'm queer" 101, and I think for a lot of internally closeted people that's a good story to explore. The alternative idea that they didn't do, but would be relatively easy to pivot to, would be "trans women are women, if you're attracted to them that's ok". Both of these stories have promise, and would be cool to see! And I think especially a game like Catherine is perfectly suited to these themes.

It's almost good in some ways. But it fundamentally falls on its face in too many ways too often to be recommended to people, because it just doesn't understand the queer experience it's trying to explore.

I'm still not willing to give Atlus the benefit of the doubt here, because their history is still terrible even as recently as Persona 5, and I find it odd that they got as far as colouring a character after the trans flag, but didn't actually figure out the absolute basics of the trans experience. Also Erica deserves better, fact.
But the text, taken in isolation, has nuance. And I don't want to ignore that, because it weakens the message of "we can do better" if I misrepresent it.

OP
OP
Lozange

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
So question about that ending, sorry if has been asked before

the ending where erica is still eric is still there ?

Ok so I've quickly watched that ending in English, again I wish I knew the subtleties before making this thread, so here is how it goes.
It jumps back to highschool, Erica has yet to transition.
It jumps ahead "several years".
Erica still has not transitioned.
Toby is all "I want a gf" or something, the details aren't important
Erica responds "she might be closer than you think".
End scene.

so the implication is that Erica *will* transition, but hasn't yet. Which timeline wise works out because I think this *is* still years before the main game, but also raises the question of "why hasn't she?". It's not the implication that I got from articles and people who played the game in Japanese, but there is still room to question this at least a little.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Ok so I've quickly watched that ending in English, again I wish I knew the subtleties before making this thread, so here is how it goes.
It jumps back to highschool, Erica has yet to transition.
It jumps ahead "several years".
Erica still has not transitioned.
Toby is all "I want a gf" or something, the details aren't important
Erica responds "she might be closer than you think".
End scene.

so the implication is that Erica *will* transition, but hasn't yet. Which timeline wise works out because I think this *is* still years before the main game, but also raises the question of "why hasn't she?". It's not the implication that I got from articles and people who played the game in Japanese, but there is still room to question this at least a little.

The complicating factor, IIRC, was...

Isn't Toby (or was it someone else? I think it was him?) supposed to be younger than the rest of them or only met them recently or something like that? Which is why he didn't know Erica was trans in the main game.

I guess there's some wiggle room w/r/t whether this is really as simple as "time travel" or more than that, but that's the part that made her not having transitioned feel out of place (to say the least), as far as I remember it.

Syrenne

Producer of Manifold Garden
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, that's right about that specific ending.

You time travel and see Erica pre-transition twice, once in high school and once at the bar during the wedding. They allude to her being pre-transition but the timeline doesn't line up, and they're purposefully very vague about when things take place anyway. As I mentioned in the article, the act of portrayal can be considered damaging to the trans community as is, as many who are in the trans community or speak to people in the trans community would know.

There's a Japanese game coming out at some point between now and the end of the year that handles LGBTQ+ issues very well, from a director who hasn't before, and I'm excited to be able to say more. Looking at it gave me whiplash after FB.

Also, FWIW, Sega Japan and Atlus Japan operate somewhat independently of each other, while Sega of America and Atlus USA are the same office and same staff (broadly speaking...the Sega corporate hierarchy and structure is very confusing.)

My understanding is that Atlus Japan just absolutely does not care about what Atlus USA or Western fans think. Pretty much at all. Time and time again talking to current and former employees of both the American and Japanese branches, that's what I've been told. There was blowback from the Japanese queer community with regards to Full Body, but nowhere near as loud as the Western. And of course, for everyone here talking about how they want to boycott this shit, there's another person buying it to "stick it to the SJWs."

Finally, re: P5R, I plan to import a crowdfunded copy and burn through it to see how the hell they handle it. Themes like teacher-student romance are probably guaranteed to still be there, but how they handle the homophobic joke characters, etc.

OP
OP
Lozange

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
For P5R there are a few things that I'd want queerness wise, and I'm not sure I'm gonna get any of them. But here they are anyway:

-Cut the two gay stereotype characters. There's really no saving them, after talking to them constantly throughout the game I can confirm there's nothing good about them. Even their designs are notably shit compared to everyone else in the game, especially in a game that mostly has fantastic character designs. Fortunately they also have no impact on the plot besides a terrible running gag.

-Lala chan needs a minor rewrite. I'm not going to ask for too much more because I'm pretty certain the only reason she's vaguely ok is that the game doesn't spend too much time on her, but if they could have characters like Makoto not react in mild shock to her talking about her past that would be cool.

-Let the protagonist date the male characters with whom there's a substantial amount of homoerotic subtext in the original game (Spoiler alert, this is pretty much all the male party members except Morgana). For a game that finds gay stuff so funny yet terrifying, Persona 5 is a very gay game. Again this is probably a monkey's paw situation, but I would like this minor addition at the end of their social links, and during the various events. For Yusuke especially from what I remember you could change almost nothing aside from saying "you are now dating" and it would work.

I don't want anything else (Queerness wise, anyway. If we're talking about how women are handled in P5, WELL...). I do not want more flawed perspectives on queerness from new characters, let's just stick to the easy stuff.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
What a shitshow. I hope trans employees, if there are any, at Atlus USA walk away, if they haven't already, or think about working somewhere else.
There's a Japanese game coming out at some point between now and the end of the year that handles LGBTQ+ issues very well, from a director who hasn't before, and I'm excited to be able to say more. Looking at it gave me whiplash after FB.
You have my attention. Is it even better, and more of a surprise, than The MISSING: J.J. Macfield and the Island of Memories?

Last edited:

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
It's AI: The Somnium files - not too heavily focused but it's jarringly positive after the shitshow that is Catherine

Huh. Can't say I really expected that to be the one.

Guess I'll look forward to that as well, during this weeklong wait for the physical version, hah.

OP
OP
Lozange

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, FINE, I'll add AI: The Somnium files to my "plan to play" list too. :p
(I'm busy rereading fata morgana at the moment though, so I don't have room for another visual novel in my life just yet)