• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Let me elaborate on the second, as someone who's cleared and beaten Rin's route on the import.

Vincent sees the 'truth' about Rin and freaks out. Rin reaches out to him, he panics, slaps his hand away, and Rin runs out crying.

The next day, Erica and co. rightfully grill Vincent about how big a dick he's being, and he calls Rin to apologize, but she's not answering.

This all assuming you're on Rin's route, on which he grows as a character and owns up to his actions, atones for them, and they become a couple.

So, in my opinion, it's shown as a bad character doing a bad thing that he later can own up to and grow from.
That sounds a little better, but I am curious to see how they handle it in English.

Sep 14, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): Transphobic rhetoric, previous severe infractions, account still in junior phase
a lot of folks on this forum I have noticed seem to be extreme to the point of not buying a game because it doesn't cater to their agenda, just get a game that is interesting to you.

OP
OP
cj_iwakura

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
That sounds a little better, but I am curious to see how they handle it in English.
I can't imagine it being a problem, the JP version is very straight forward. There's no way around
Vincent slapping Rin's hand away
, it just looks REALLY bad out of context.

The Erica stuff is decidedly more problematic, but again, in my opinion, this is the result of simple ignorance on the part of the developer. It's not malicious, per se, it's just thoughtless.

Which, hopefully, Atlus USA can touch up on and correct.

Since Catherine is one of my favorite games ever, I really hope they can put the right foot forward, take the problems head on, and say 'hey, we realize this is bad, and we're fixing it'. Don't dance around it.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's very hard to, it would essentially involve redrawing a character during one of the anime cutscenes at the end of a game, and including all the animations for them.

In the ending where Catherine wants to have met Vincent under different circumstances (high school), show Erica as having transitioned. The implication is that the other circumstances were generally a "better" life for everyone else, and that Erica didn't transition in that timeline because that would be implied to be "better" for her. Keep the lines about her saying to Tobey that the girl he would want "might be closer than he would think", and I think it would be a nod to what would happen in the future where Tobey and Erica end up together. Obviously this would require redrawing and reanimating Erica in this scene, because it shows her pre-transition. They could just chose a woman for the English voice actor and that part isn't an issue.

There's an entirely different scene that would could possibly have dialogue reworked to actually disapprovingly frame the actions of certain characters, or the scene would have to be redone entirely.

Vincent freaks out when he sees that Rin has a penis, in a "trans panic" moment. Again this one either takes somehow framing Vincent's actions here as shitty or just redoing the scene entirely.

That's my two cents on the scenes above. Disclaimer, I am a straight cis male, so if my ideas are bad, please call me out on it.
The second one can kinda be redone by making Vincent look like an asshole, the first one seems far more involved...

Tiggleton

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Probably don't want to talk about that without spoiler tags.

According to people that understand Japanese, and played the Japanese version, including a trans woman here on Era, Catherine wanted to have met Vincent under better circumstances. This is back in high school (the stuff you see from high school in the trailers comes from this ending), Vincent meets Catherine. All the other characters' lives are objective improvements over what their lives were in the original timeline. Erica did not transition in this ending, implying that that's a "better" life for her. I think something like that is something they could have prevented from happening by at least speaking to a few trans people. I'm not sure if there was an attempt to right the wrongs of how they handled Erica in the original game (and even then I'm pretty sure that stuff is still in this version) or what.

Edited my original post, thanks for the headsup!

Oh, yeah that changes things then. Really shitty of Atlus to do that if they legit think a trans person would be happier not transitioning.

If Hashino wanted to cover these topics he should have got trans folks on board as an advisory role. My hope is that Atlus USA lets them know, but I'm worried Atlus Japan will just ignore them.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you don't need to redo anything in catherine to make vincent look like an asshole. he has always been an asshole

StraySheep

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 26, 2017
Im in the crowd that I'm hoping the localization can do the best it can, and that despite his game design brilliance I am happy at this point that Hino is gone because of this shit, but Catherine is still at the moment my favorite game so I'm probably going to pick this up. And because I'm being naive I'm going to choose to believe those saying the initial impressions were misguided.

Oct 25, 2017
Let me elaborate on the second, as someone who's cleared and beaten Rin's route on the import.

Vincent sees the 'truth' about Rin and freaks out. Rin reaches out to him, he panics, slaps his hand away, and Rin runs out crying.

The next day, Erica and co. rightfully grill Vincent about how big a dick he's being, and he calls Rin to apologize, but she's not answering.

This all assuming you're on Rin's route, on which he grows as a character and owns up to his actions, atones for them, and they become a couple.

So, in my opinion, it's shown as a bad character doing a bad thing that he later can own up to and grow from.
What somewhat bothers me about the Rin route is that, with the new stuff about Erica, I can't help but think this is their version of "making up for how they handled Erica in the original". It just seems unlikely to me that they'd willingly want to include a progressive romance route with a gay crossdressing man that has no relations at all with how they view trans women.

I just can't help but think they're saying "look, here, you can romance the gay crossdresser too, we're totally ok with Erica, see?"

It's a case of their past and current behavior torwards these issues making it hard for me to take at face value what is in itself pretty positive.

One thing I do like, though, is that if this works like the original, a lot of people will end up with that ending without consciouly going for it. They'll just answer the questions truthfully and may end up with a Vincent X Rin ending, even if they didn't necessarily wanted to see that content, for whatever reason. That's pretty cool. That's the game treating that path as equally valid, and an ending worthy of being presented to any player, not just those consciously seeking that kind of representation.

Tiggleton

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
The second one can kinda be redone by making Vincent look like an asshole, the first one seems far more involved...

I haven't played the game myself but I have seen the scene on YT. Vincent doesn't hit Rin in a violent way but just slaps her hand away and is shown to regret it. So I think that's at least salvageable as it least presents his reaction as wrong.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
a lot of folks on this forum I have noticed seem to be extreme to the point of not buying a game because it doesn't cater to their agenda, just get a game that is interesting to you.
I think people not being okay with the transphobia in this game is 100% justified, and them considering it unplayable as a result is perfectly reasonable and acceptable. I think trans people wanting to not be treated like shit isn't an "agenda", just as much as LGBT pride in messages in Splatoon 2 isn't "politics"

OP
OP
cj_iwakura

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
What somewhat bothers me about the Rin route is that, with the new stuff about Erica, I can't help but think this is their version of "making up for how they handled Erica in the original". It just seems unlikely to me that they'd willingly want to include a progressive romance route with a gay crossdressing man that has no relations at all with how they view trans women.

I just can't help but think they're saying "look, here, you can romance the gay crossdresser too, we're totally ok with Erica, see?"

It's a case of their past and current behavior torwards these issues making it hard for me to take at face value what is in itself pretty positive.

One thing I do like, though, is that if this works like the original, a lot of people will end up with that ending without consciouly going for it. They'll just answer the questions truthfully and may end up with a Vincent X Rin ending, even if they didn't necessarily wanted to see that content, for whatever reason. That's pretty cool. That's the game treating that path as equally valid, and an ending worthy of being presented to any player, not just those consciously seeking that kind of representation.
I kind of feel like that was their intention. They show Vincent at his lowest(par for the course), then let him grow and take Rin for who he is. And their ending is legit very sweet.

Oct 25, 2017
By the way, let me shill The MISSING for a second:

It's currently on sale, and it talks about some of the issues that keep popping up in Atlus games, only in a much more positive light. It's a great story and a pretty fun puzzle platformer. J.J. is my favorite character of 2018.

Kind of feeling like replaying it again. It's honestly just fun.

If you enjoy some of the puzzles in Limbo, this will be right up your alley.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's currently on sale, and it talks about some of the issues that keep popping up in Atlus games, only in a much more positive light. It's a great story and a pretty fun puzzle platformer. J.J. is my favorite character of 2018.

Is it on a non-PC platform?

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's on PS4, Xbox One and Switch as well, but I don't think it's currently on sale in those platforms.

I don't know how in the world I forgot to mention it in the first post, but The MISSING is the newest game by SWERY, the creator of Deadly Premonition.
Yup, on PS4, Switch, and Xbox One. It's a Swery65 game too. I've yet to play it, but it's really high on my list.
Oooh, that's awesome, thanks. I'll look into getting this later today when I am home.

OP
OP
cj_iwakura

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I hope you enjoy it! The message you surely will, but the game part is a bit more divisive. It's pretty short, though, so it should be easy to endure even if you don't like it that much.
There's also the trigger warnings, it touches on a lot of heavy subjects. But it is a great game, and shows that not all Japanese devs are as tactless as Atlus.

Oct 25, 2017
There's also the trigger warnings, it touches on a lot of heavy subjects. But it is a great game, and shows that not all Japanese devs are as tactless as Atlus.
Yeah, it being from a japanese studio is very important. It really means a lot. Especially from someone who makes weird ass games like Swery, I suppose, because it means the message will reach people who are just looking for some weird Twin Peaks shit, and not just those who would be buying an indie western game that is strictly about those issues. The MISSING is just as weird and often funny as you'd expect from a Swery game.

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

If you enjoy some of the puzzles in Limbo, this will be right up your alley.

I''ll second this notion. What a beautiful game. Great representation, and some genuinely heart wrenching moments. I adore this game.

Echoing what someone else said, this is also a rare case of a Japanese dev showing tact, and respect. The opening message of the game almost brought me to tears, honestly.

OP
OP
cj_iwakura

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Everyone wants the game to be edited and a bit shorter because it's bloated. Well, I can think of a few very easy cuts.
They should just cut back on the 'kill time until [x] happens' nonsense. In fact, the 'we have this amount of time' nonsense needs to go, period. I hope 5 is the end of it. It worked for 3, Memento Mori. 4 and 5, not so much.