• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I do enjoy games in which I really need to sink my teeth and mind in, but sometimes all the goals, collectibles, hard difficulty and time commitments can bring the fun down. Everyone needs a little catharsis from time to time and video games can also be great stress relievers.

My go-to games for ACTION in that case would be games within the Musou genre where you mow down huge armies, shooters like Killing Floor 2 with gore and explosions, EDF games with saving the planet from giant alien-ants. Basically everything that is over the top and brings the "fun" and "gameplay" part in front.

But games like CIV and Anno can also be great to calm down after work and send your mind in a different direction. Sometimes games with a great atmosphere and without a big story focus where you can just do your thing (walkin sims...) work for me as well.

In the past I had multiplayer games that I just fired up and had an hour of fun without much thought (Team Fortress 2), but those games became rare for me - most MP games nowadays are either VERY competitive and stressful (BR games) or need a bigger time commtiment than they should (auto-chess). Forced coop can also be a no-go for me since I sometimes just need to leave the game. I did enjoy playing Paladins some months back but fell off of it again.

What are your games you fire up when you just want to "have fun"? Today I am thinking of playing some EDF or Dynasty Warriors 9 after work. :)

tsab

Nov 3, 2017
I remember playing a lot of Sega Bass Fishing on the Dreamcast during my exams to relieve stress.

Now a days I play MK11, Tetris99. From time to time will play Fist of the Northstar on the PS4. You wa shock!

Dunfish

Oct 29, 2017
Dark Souls - I love starting up a game with no build plan and just figuring it out on the fly. All builds eventually come together and the down hill on the back end of the game is really satisfying.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Probably Pokemon Gold and Silver/Heart Gold and Soul Silver. I usually find myself returning to those during times of high stress. They are easy to pick up and get going. The johto region and especially music really chill me out.

Also, any Star Wars game. I went back last month and played KOTOR 1 on my phone. Holds up great honestly. Even on the phone.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Most loot collecting ARPGs. Once I get past the story, it great background relax fodder. Diablo 3 is great for just mashing stuff up.

Yugen

Oct 27, 2017
USA
IIDX and various other rhythm games. Nothing like coming home and enjoying a couple drinks while smashing some buttons.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Forza Horizon games are perfect for this as you can set the difficulty to whatever you want, there's a lot of careless activities like destroying signs or going for stunts, and if you keep rewinds on during races it's definitely stress-free as you can correct any mistake, thus you can enjoy the speed and passes without risking throwing it all away in a corner.

calloumiii

Sep 14, 2018
Tetris Effect is a big one recently - there are literally modes made to soothe you.

Like you said, Musou games are also a fun way to de-stress. I'm also a big fan of Skyrim for that purpose too - either for walking around and taking in the world, or for the power fantasy aspect, since it's pretty easy to steamroll the game after a certain point.

Phoenix944

Oct 28, 2017
Coming back home to play Persona 4 was just so good. Maybe it's kind of pathetic but the whole social aspect of the game helped me relieve a lot of stress.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Far Cry games - actually any Ubisoft games. The collection stuff just puts me in a zone. I can collect duct tape (or whatever) for hours. I like exploring.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
I need to play at least 2 matches of Rocket League Daily.

also, i put in Fist of The North Star Ps4 just to play poker.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
VR is perfect for decompressing and unwinding. These are my go to options:

BoxVR: put on my own music and just go full effort on an hour long track. Just as good as going for a run.

GT Sport: With a wheel, Nordschleife, 911 GT3 at dusk with something like Max Riechter, NTS Night Shift, or a mix by somebody like Park Hye Jin playing. Sometimes I actually prefer this to going for real drive in the evening.

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Smash is extremely cathartic for me.
... Until I start losing, then I just get salty and I'm back to square one lol. Have to moderate my playtime accordingly.
Seriously though, this kind of shit:

Ultimate satisfaction.

OP
OP
derFeef

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I forgot to mention Beat Hazard is a GREAT game for me as well. You can just put on your favourite tracks and dive into bullet hell.

Far Cry games - actually any Ubisoft games. The collection stuff just puts me in a zone. I can collect duct tape (or whatever) for hours. I like exploring.
Interesting. While I don't mind those mechanics usually, I really can't stand them when I am under stress and can't focus.

Smash is extremely cathartic for me.
... Until I start losing, then I just get salty and I'm back to square one lol. Have to moderate my playtime accordingly.
Seriously though, this kind of shit:

Ultimate satisfaction.

I never dared to dive into SMASH, generally fighting games stress me out too much and I am very bad at them. Love Killer Instinct tho ;)

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Just moving around solo in games with really technical controls like Melee or Rocket League
Playing against people can work both ways

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Play some GTA with Bad Habbit in the background to really burn off some stress.
Then chill with some Katamari Damashi.
And then enjoy some hot block action with Tetris. :p

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. While I don't mind those mechanics usually, I really can't stand them when I am under stress and can't focus.

I have a lot of free time, unlike most people, so it gives me something to do.
I understand why a lot of people dislike collecting stuff, but I swear these games are made for me. I will go around and pick up everything on the map.
The only one that made me give up was AC Unity because the entire map was just a vomited mass of icons. I never finished that game because it did stress me out.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Just flying around in DCS from cold start, no combat. Super immersive and I often just forget any issues from work or otherwise.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I had a bit of a... uh, meltdown... a couple of months back. I ended up buying the remaster of Burnout Paradise and playing the wrecking mode (almost exclusively) for several days.
I haven't touched the game since.

It was the only game I could stomach playing at that time.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Tetris and Resident Evil 4 for the last couple years now, though I'd add FFXIV to it as well.

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
I've find myself playing Rpgs whenever I'm upset about real life. Wander around some fictional towns or watching the virtual landscapes it's just so peaceful.

Oct 27, 2017
Stardew Valley is medicine for me. If I'm having a rough day or I'm just not up to intensive games, I go right to Stardew and it hits me right in the nostalgia and warm blanket feels.

Also Chrono Trigger. Its my favorite game of all time and I have a tendency to play it after something really bad happens in my life. It has a tendency of raising my spirits up.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
I'll play a few rounds of Smash. If I'm especially stressed, I'll stay away from online and just fight level 9 CPU's.

OP
OP
derFeef

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Stardew Valley is medicine for me. If I'm having a rough day or I'm just not up to intensive games, I go right to Stardew and it hits me right in the nostalgia and warm blanket feels.

Also Chrono Trigger. Its my favorite game of all time and I have a tendency to play it after something really bad happens in my life. It has a tendency of raising my spirits up.
This is nice to read. I still need to find such games.
I have stress relievers but not really games that are raising my spirits like you said so nicely. I think I would have to search some games from my childhood.

I'll play a few rounds of Smash. If I'm especially stressed, I'll stay away from online and just fight level 9 CPU's.
Two times Smash coming up, it's so expensive tho :(

iosefe

The Unshakable Resolve of "this guy are sick"
Oct 26, 2017
Where the sun shines
Picross is a great option

I also do Hexcells here and there for my puzzle fix. Calm ambient music, and as you click hexes, there is a nice chime

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
I used to play Hulk: UD.

Nothing helps you de-stress faster than wrecking an entire city.

OP
OP
derFeef

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I installed Berserk and the Band of Hawk again yesterday and it's the perfect stress relief game.
Feels good to slash through hordes of enemies with crunchy and meaty sounds.

ChemicalWorld

"This guy are sick"
Dec 6, 2017
Divinity Original Sin is soothing my soul atm. Have a big old grin on my face whilst playing it due to how non-serious it is. Def stress free in terms of tone and even though the combat can be challenging, I love how all of its systems work together both in and outside of combat. Have had this game for ages but it finally clicked recently and yeah it removes any work stress from the day as far as I'm concerned :)