• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Sharing the water fountain is no issue however the new cat may not like it. We have to have a running water fountain for one of our cats while the other prefers a still water dish that I clean every day. Not sure why but she just never liked moving water. I have always been told by my vet that you need at least 2 litter boxes if you have 2 cats. However it probably entirely depends on the cats involved.

I guess with the water it will be a wait and see approach for her--however I'm glad I didn't throw out the previous water dishes/litterbox, as they will def come in handy.

My two cats share a litter box, but they were from the same, uh, litter. Born in a group of five, and we kept two. Results may vary, of course.

The foster baby kitties we have currently are kept completely separate from our two cats. Your new one is more than likely already vaccinated, so you probably don't have to do that. One of the kitties faded :(
Vet detected pan leuk in their stool so we had to do a thorough sanitization of the area. The other babies are doing great, thank goodness.

I am very sorry for your loss--pan leuk fucking sucks. Happy to hear the others are alright as of now.

MrT

Oct 27, 2017
Meet the latest member of our family, Oscar. He's about 10 weeks old and is already trying to assert his dominance over the other 3 cats lol. Absolutely fearless, he even has our 21kg Staffordshire Bull Terrier afraid of him 🤣
Great to see him settling in so quickly 😻

keVnT1h.jpg
PVtFPUb.jpg
QUVAKXD.jpg

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Meet the latest member of our family, Oscar. He's about 10 weeks old and is already trying to assert his dominance over the other 3 cats lol. Absolutely fearless, he even has our 21kg Staffordshire Bull Terrier afraid of him 🤣

keVnT1h.jpg
PVtFPUb.jpg
QUVAKXD.jpg

I see he's already a master of the "sad puppy eyes", so that he'll have dominance over the hoomans in the house as well. :D

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
exciting times. i bought a new vacuum because the one at the office was some cheap $30 one from walmart that does nothing

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017

keVnT1h.jpg
PVtFPUb.jpg
QUVAKXD.jpg
OMFG, my heart.

Edit: To make this post worthwhile, here's Taika and Kiki murder-housing it:
g5tAWZvl.jpg

What's "murder-housing"? Remember when Marge tried to sell the "Murder House" to the Flandereses?
SRlbFqh.jpg

They do it so often we came up with a term!

Last edited:

Red

Oct 26, 2017
One of my cats is really sick. Our vet can't figure out what's wrong with him. He's about 9 years old. No health problems in the past except that he has pica. He's got a compulsion to eat non-food items. This has made taking care of him very troublesome. We once took him to the vet to have nearly two feet of elastic removed from his guts after he ate a strap from one of my wife's dresses. That was about six years ago, and we haven't had an episode as serious as that since. couple of months ago he must have got into something especially bad, as since then he's lost nearly half his body weight. He has explosive vomiting and diarrhea nearly every time he eats. We've run blood work, X rays, and have an ultrasound scheduled for Friday.

I feel really bad for him and am ready to put him down. It's obvious that he's scared, and it's in his personality to seek comfort from his humans. Every time we leave the room he wails. As soon as we're there he's tucking his head into our palm or against our leg and he's purring. He's also desperate for food. He's been twisting his way into garbage cans and licking dust off the floor. He's emaciated. It is very clear he is starving.

My wife does not want to put him down. Every time I look at him it breaks my heart. I think she is being selfish, but I understand.

I'm not looking for anything with this post really, just need a space to talk about it. I'm less sad to lose him than I am to watch him suffer the way he is. We don't know for sure that he's sick due to something he ate, but I am quite sure that it's the leading possibility. The amount of shoelaces we've lost, the tags from pillows and blankets, the drawstrings on our garbage bags… it was a matter of time before he did himself in. Every time we thought we'd finally cat-proofed the house he discovered something new to chew on.

We've had him since he was only a few weeks old. He happened to be at the vet during a visit for our other cat; his mother had been found injured at the side of a road. We adopted him on the spot. I'd like to think he had a good life, and I am still hoping that maybe we'll find some way to make him feel better. But honestly I'm not sure he'll even make it to his ultrasound on Friday.

My Buddy

6c2f4a69-1291-4222-89uijxp.gif

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
One of my cats is really sick. Our vet can't figure out what's wrong with him. He's about 9 years old. No health problems in the past except that he has pica. He's got a compulsion to eat non-food items. This has made taking care of him very troublesome. We once took him to the vet to have nearly two feet of elastic removed from his guts after he ate a strap from one of my wife's dresses. That was about six years ago, and we haven't had an episode as serious as that since. couple of months ago he must have got into something especially bad, as since then he's lost nearly half his body weight. He has explosive vomiting and diarrhea nearly every time he eats. We've run blood work, X rays, and have an ultrasound scheduled for Friday.

I feel really bad for him and am ready to put him down. It's obvious that he's scared, and it's in his personality to seek comfort from his humans. Every time we leave the room he wails. As soon as we're there he's tucking his head into our palm or against our leg and he's purring. He's also desperate for food. He's been twisting his way into garbage cans and licking dust off the floor. He's emaciated. It is very clear he is starving.

My wife does not want to put him down. Every time I look at him it breaks my heart. I think she is being selfish, but I understand.

I'm not looking for anything with this post really, just need a space to talk about it. I'm less sad to lose him than I am to watch him suffer the way he is. We don't know for sure that he's sick due to something he ate, but I am quite sure that it's the leading possibility. The amount of shoelaces we've lost, the tags from pillows and blankets, the drawstrings on our garbage bags… it was a matter of time before he did himself in. Every time we thought we'd finally cat-proofed the house he discovered something new to chew on.

We've had him since he was only a few weeks old. He happened to be at the vet during a visit for our other cat; his mother had been found injured at the side of a road. We adopted him on the spot. I'd like to think he had a good life, and I am still hoping that maybe we'll find some way to make him feel better. But honestly I'm not sure he'll even make it to his ultrasound on Friday.

My Buddy

That was tough to read. Very sorry about your heartbreaking situation.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

My Buddy

Man, that's rough; I'm so sorry for both you and your cat. :( Keep us informed about it, OK?

Also, is there any way you could take him to another vet, if you feel this one isn't finding what's wrong with him? I'm kind of surprised they scheduled the ultrasound for so late, and didn't give him something like a subcutaneous feed in the meantime, for such a serious condition.

I'm kind of on your wife's side with this, for the time being at least; without knowing exactly what's going on, I wouldn't put him down unless the vet recommends to do so. Cats are pretty tough, and can bounce back from the proverbial foot on the grave (I've seen it happen many times before).

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Put the harness on Jensen yesterday afternoon and brought him out in the back yard. He didn't seem too interested in exploring and just sat and ate some grass. I stopped him before he ate more than a blade or two.

It seems that he's scared of our screen door though, as when bringing him back in he lept from my hands and did sort of a forward handspring when he hit the ground. I was initially worried that he hurt himself but he didn't fall onto his back and did the usual cat thing of orienting himself upright immediately despite basically being completely upside down for a moment there.

He doesn't seem to be acting unusual so I'm doing my best to shove that fear to the back of my mind either way.

I'll be sure to have an extra person with me from now on when I bring him outside to hold the door wide so we can minimize the chances of this happening in the future.

I felt awful about it and made sure to give him plenty of cuddles and treats when he went inside though.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Man, that's rough; I'm so sorry for both you and your cat. :( Keep us informed about it, OK?

Also, is there any way you could take him to another vet, if you feel this one isn't finding what's wrong with him? I'm kind of surprised they scheduled the ultrasound for so late, and didn't give him something like a subcutaneous feed in the meantime, for such a serious condition.

I'm kind of on your wife's side with this, for the time being at least; without knowing exactly what's going on, I wouldn't put him down unless the vet recommends to do so. Cats are pretty tough, and can bounce back from the proverbial foot on the grave (I've seen it happen many times before).
We got the results back from Friday's tests. He's been diagnosed with lymphoma. Lost another pound in a week. He's clearly miserable. My wife wants to keep him on B12 shots and steroids. I am not sure what difference it makes.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
We got the results back from Friday's tests. He's been diagnosed with lymphoma. Lost another pound in a week. He's clearly miserable. My wife wants to keep him on B12 shots and steroids. I am not sure what difference it makes.

Man, I'm so, so sorry. That's really rough news.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

I'm so sorry, man. Did the vet recommend either way regarding putting him to sleep?

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I'm so sorry, man. Did the vet recommend either way regarding putting him to sleep?
Not as far as I know. My wife took the call and I don't think she'd tell me, because she knows where I stand. It's not something I'm going to fight her about, but to me, to keep him alive suffering like this is clearly not for his benefit.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Not as far as I know. My wife took the call and I don't think she'd tell me, because she knows where I stand. It's not something I'm going to fight her about, but to me, to keep him alive suffering like this is clearly not for his benefit.

I guess you could ask her directly (or call the vet yourself). I would honestly follow the vet's advice, they know best how much quality of live animals have and the chances they have of bouncing back.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Poor kitty :( I'm so sorry Red. I understand where both your wife and yourself are coming from, it's so hard.

Slackerchan

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Hey gang, quick question.

I have my brother's cat, Tank, over right now while his place gets a flea and tick treatment. He just came from the vet and got a flea treatment himself but I'm hesitant to let him out of the bathroom because I don't want to risk fleas infesting my place. I've also washed my hands between visits to check on him and he should be picked up and taken home in a few hours. I don't suppose I have any risks to worry about in keeping him isolated in there, right? It's stone tile.

So far my cats seem particularly interested in the guest so I'm hoping that, if the flea problem is fully addressed at my brother's place then they could have some irregular playdates.

Also, as a precaution, should I wash my bath mats after he's gone?

nopressure

Oct 28, 2017
Dunno what to do for one of my cats.

He's had four isolated "episodes" since January where he completely deteriorates with neuro/balance type symptoms. I can't find any trigger for it. He walks in circles, his eyes get dilated, he can't climb or jump properly, he bumps into things (head first) and he seems drunk. It lasts anywhere from 4-12 hours and then he goes back to normal. First time was by far the worst, I genuinely thought he was dying and his balance was off for a few days.

The vet found nothing wrong with him and said to book an emergency blood test during an episode - she doesn't think it's a toxin. I doubt a blood test will pick anything up and it's really hard to arrange a test in the short windows we get. Not sure what else to do.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

He's had four isolated "episodes" since January where he completely deteriorates with neuro/balance type symptoms. I can't find any trigger for it. He walks in circles, his eyes get dilated, he can't climb or jump properly, he bumps into things (head first) and he seems drunk. It lasts anywhere from 4-12 hours and then he goes back to normal. First time was by far the worst, I genuinely thought he was dying and his balance was off for a few days.

The vet found nothing wrong with him and said to book an emergency blood test during an episode - she doesn't think it's a toxin. I doubt a blood test will pick anything up and it's really hard to arrange a test in the short windows we get. Not sure what else to do.

It might be a deficiency of, well, any number of things, and these are hard to diagnose. Even our best vet took a very long time to diagnose one of our cats with a potasium deficiency, and that was solely based on her behaviour during one of her episodes, not any blood test (once she was diagnosed and we gave potasium to her, she bounced back). The best advice I can give is to look around for other vets until one of them finds what's wrong.

Anecdotally, our cat ate very little and lost weight during her sickness, but developed a craving for salmon which happens to have a rich potasium content; this craving stopped when we started giving her potasium orally. I don't suppose there's a chance your cat developed some weird food cravings lately...?

Apal_ytos

Oct 29, 2017
Greece
Hey gang, quick question.

I have my brother's cat, Tank, over right now while his place gets a flea and tick treatment. He just came from the vet and got a flea treatment himself but I'm hesitant to let him out of the bathroom because I don't want to risk fleas infesting my place. I've also washed my hands between visits to check on him and he should be picked up and taken home in a few hours. I don't suppose I have any risks to worry about in keeping him isolated in there, right? It's stone tile.

So far my cats seem particularly interested in the guest so I'm hoping that, if the flea problem is fully addressed at my brother's place then they could have some irregular playdates.

Also, as a precaution, should I wash my bath mats after he's gone?

You should be ok within a few hours.
In my experience pet flea sprays like Frontline are very strong, and kill everything pretty fast.

Also, it's always a good idea to wash your bathmats

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.

Really sorry to hear.

Similar situation, but the doctor can't definitely tell us what's wrong without doing biopsy. He's about 14 and wife doesn't want to risk the gallbladder near liver. Some meds have helped, but he's turning yellow again and always ravenous.

One of them is denamarin.

Cherubae

Oct 31, 2017
Beaverton, Oregon, USA

My cat (the 16-year-old) would do that on occasion; drunk behavior, confused, bumping into things, etc. Then she'd be fine later. The normal vet referred us to a specialist, where they did a separate glucose blood test to determine she was diabetic. The drunkenness was her body on low blood sugar. You might have a specialized blood test ordered for your cat to see if kitty is actually diabetic.

Now she gets insulin twice a day. The drunk behavior now only happens if she doesn't get the right amount of food. Usually we can catch it quickly enough and feed her, mitigating the length of her low-blood-sugar episodes. If it's extreme, I have to give her corn syrup to boost her glucose level.

*edit* Sorry, forgot the Cat Tax!

The 16-year-old diabetic:
OubJzhm.jpg

The two new kittens we brought home (that she's slowly becoming accustomed to):
PZ65FMb.jpg

The 16-year-old is a Munchkin, and the kittens are Minuits; all three have short legs.

The ball of floof in my avatar is my best buddy that past away a few years ago, leaving the old lady as a lonely cat until last month when I brought the squirts home.

Last edited:

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017

One of our cats had a similar episode. It freaked me out because I saw him crouched and sway a little and it reminded me of our other cat that had a serious problem and needed let go. He had like an ear infection or inner ear problem that caused him to lose balance. They have some ear drops and he got better. But now he is permanently tilted, still climbing and running around though. They said it's kind of random, may never happen again.

Is tough doing a bunch of tests and not getting results. The stress to the cat and cost become frustrating.

Slackerchan

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
You should be ok within a few hours.
In my experience pet flea sprays like Frontline are very strong, and kill everything pretty fast.

Also, it's always a good idea to wash your bathmats
He stayed for a few hours and I washed both the mats and the clothes I was wearing. I'm not particularly worried but it's one of those things you think about. Thanks for the reply.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
This is Nari, she was born 4/4/2021 and we just adopted her from the Fresno SPCA

T5iIJjI.jpg
WU95wWr.jpg

fepWs2M.jpg
URvE5Y5.jpg

Our other cat Friday is now a big sister and it only took 2 days for them to bond. Now they're running up and down the hallway of our apartment, Friday is cleaning her now and they fight like siblings do.

nOGVZsq.jpg
59mjer8.jpg

Everyone is very happy.

Brandino

Avenger
Jan 9, 2018
My wife and I are about to bring home our 5th cat Tuesday.

We have one toddler, one dog, and four other cats. It's going to be a busy house.

nopressure

Oct 28, 2017
One of our cats had a similar episode. It freaked me out because I saw him crouched and sway a little and it reminded me of our other cat that had a serious problem and needed let go. He had like an ear infection or inner ear problem that caused him to lose balance. They have some ear drops and he got better. But now he is permanently tilted, still climbing and running around though. They said it's kind of random, may never happen again.

Is tough doing a bunch of tests and not getting results. The stress to the cat and cost become frustrating.

Thanks guys, I hadn't considered diabetes. Tbh, I don't think the episodes improve from eating, but I'll try next time. He's only 4 years old but definitely possible.

The first time it happened, I was sure it was a viral ear infection as both cats had a runny nose/sneezing the days before it happened and he made a full recovery over the week without treatment. However, the vet doesn't think it's vestibular as the symptoms randomly return, the severity of each episode varies (episodes aren't getting progressively worse/better) and he is 100% fine the rest of the time.

Obligatory pics of Finn and Bowser:

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
My wife and I are about to bring home our 5th cat Tuesday.

We have one toddler, one dog, and four other cats. It's going to be a busy house.

Congrats and be cautious.. We have 10 and 2 kids. It's a clown show everyday! But we love it.

Thanks guys, I hadn't considered diabetes.

Hopefully something lines up. It makes me feel a little better when special need pets have good parents. Too many get abandoned at the sign of any wrong.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
One of our kitties is home after being admitted to the vet hospital with a hairball trapped in her intestine. No surgery, the vet is confident she can pass it naturally with a little assistance.

anyone dealt with this before? She's home two days and still not herself. She's eating (not much), drinking and pooping but no hairball yet

Apal_ytos

Oct 29, 2017
Greece
So many beautiful cats in the last pages 😃

Anyway, kitty update!

We are growing strong and big and we are full of energy!

Unfortunately we hit a little snag.
He started having some flakes on his skin on various places.
Got him to the vet, the vet took samples and advised quarantine while we waited for the culture results. She thought that's propably some kind of fungus.
Not life threatening or very serious but contagious.
Which sucked, because we had just started socializing him to the other pets and letting him roam the house.
So, kitty got back in quarantine and we did a thorough house cleaning, thankfully we had removed the carpets cause of the summer last month.
Got our results on Thursday, it is a fungus and we started medication, although he seemed to get over it by himself, he had already stopped flaking and fur was growing back to the affected areas, but just to be sure.
The treatment is a week of medication, a week off and then another week. And that he should stay in quarantine until the end.
Which I really really really don't want to do (the quarantine thing).
He's at the age where he should be running around the house and socializing with the other cats and dogs, not staying closed off in the guest room.
I'm thinking of asking the vet to do another culture on Thursday, first week of medication is done then, and then release him if we don't have any growth in a few days... Although the vet said that the results come between 2 and 14 days...
Don't know what to do 😐

Anyway, here's some quarantine kitty pics
YOHBuiZ.jpg

TQbBABB.jpg

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of cats don't like wood fiber litter (ours don't, for example, which is why we stopped using it). Probably something to do with either the smell, the lightness of it, or that it can stick to them. Try setting at least another litter box with regular clumping litter, see if that helps. Also of course ensure the litter boxes are far away from food or water.

Try washing the affected zone with odor eliminators. Sometimes the residual smell of poop is undetectable to humans but enough for cats to detect. The citronella may be masking that smell and that's why he stopped doing it when you used it, until it wore off.

Something you can also try is leaving a litter box right where he likes to poop outside the box. Then if he starts doing it inside the litter, gradually move away the box to the point you want to.

Ouch, that sucks. Leaving food and / or her litter outside the house is the best way to attract her, but it also helps if you can set up a movement-activated camera trained at it so you can check the footage and see if she's eating / using the litter. There's very cheap cameras nowadays.

Also perhaps try using NextDoor to see if someone else finds her, put up signs, etc. There's no silver bullet when it comes to finding lost cats, unfortunately.

Just wanted to say thanks again. Heavier litter seems to have done the trick.

Happy cats.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
So many beautiful cats in the last pages 😃

Anyway, kitty update!

We are growing strong and big and we are full of energy!

Unfortunately we hit a little snag.
He started having some flakes on his skin on various places.
Got him to the vet, the vet took samples and advised quarantine while we waited for the culture results. She thought that's propably some kind of fungus.
Not life threatening or very serious but contagious.
Which sucked, because we had just started socializing him to the other pets and letting him roam the house.
So, kitty got back in quarantine and we did a thorough house cleaning, thankfully we had removed the carpets cause of the summer last month.
Got our results on Thursday, it is a fungus and we started medication, although he seemed to get over it by himself, he had already stopped flaking and fur was growing back to the affected areas, but just to be sure.
The treatment is a week of medication, a week off and then another week. And that he should stay in quarantine until the end.
Which I really really really don't want to do (the quarantine thing).
He's at the age where he should be running around the house and socializing with the other cats and dogs, not staying closed off in the guest room.
I'm thinking of asking the vet to do another culture on Thursday, first week of medication is done then, and then release him if we don't have any growth in a few days... Although the vet said that the results come between 2 and 14 days...
Don't know what to do 😐

Anyway, here's some quarantine kitty pics
YOHBuiZ.jpg

TQbBABB.jpg

There's no harm in asking the vet, buy I would follow the medication and quarantine cycle to the letter even if he seems to be well already. The reason being that fungi can be incredibly persistent, and some spores can lay dormant and immune to medication even if everything seems fine. This is probably the rationale behind the "week off", to "lure" spores to grow and kill them with the second round.

Just wanted to say thanks again. Heavier litter seems to have done the trick.

Happy cats.

*highfive*

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Hey all, I need some advice.

I took my boy for his yearly veterinary visit, and because of his previous urinary scare, I asked for another test be done. The results came in today, and the doctor told me his PH was too high--meaning he's not drinking enough, or the food I've been feeding him doesn't have enough liquid in it. He then advised I start adding urinary formula to his diet.

I'm thinking of shelving his water fountain until I have a better place to live (complicated situation), and replacing it with a big-ass water bowl--I was never sure he even his using his fountain; he already had a spare water bowl elsewhere, and both were far away from his litter--beyond that, I don't know how to get him drinking (not opening the toilet bowl either).

As for food, I've been feeding him Instinct-branded grain free canned food. I was hoping it would be enough, but I guess it isn't. I need some recommendations for something that will help with this situation, but at the same time not cause him to gain weight--he's a housecat, and beyond play sessions. he really doesn't get much exercise. I'm trying (unsuccessfully) to get him used to walking outside on a harness.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
Hey all, I need some advice.

I took my boy for his yearly veterinary visit, and because of his previous urinary scare, I asked for another test be done. The results came in today, and the doctor told me his PH was too high--meaning he's not drinking enough, or the food I've been feeding him doesn't have enough liquid in it. He then advised I start adding urinary formula to his diet.

I'm thinking of shelving his water fountain until I have a better place to live (complicated situation), and replacing it with a big-ass water bowl--I was never sure he even his using his fountain; he already had a spare water bowl elsewhere, and both were far away from his litter--beyond that, I don't know how to get him drinking (not opening the toilet bowl either).

As for food, I've been feeding him Instinct-branded grain free canned food. I was hoping it would be enough, but I guess it isn't. I need some recommendations for something that will help with this situation, but at the same time not cause him to gain weight--he's a housecat, and beyond play sessions. he really doesn't get much exercise. I'm trying (unsuccessfully) to get him used to walking outside on a harness.

Try adding a little water to his canned food and then mixing it all together so that it isn't just water and then food separate. Try different types and sizes of water dishes, my cats don't like fountains and like smaller but deeper water dishes as opposed to big ones. If he shows and interest in the sink, turn the water on a little bit and see if he will play in it, playing in it usually leads to drinking it.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Can anyone recommend a "hidey spot" I can purchase for my cat?

He gets scared during thunderstorms and likes to hide. He used to go under a recliner that we have but I'm so worried that he's going to get hurt under there from the mechanisms of the chair that I had to close it up with a piece of cardboard.

He went into a closet for a bit but didn't stay in there too long. He used to go under our bed when we had an oversized quilt on it as it would cover all sides of the bed, but since we got new bedding he doesn't seem terribly interested in it.

I guess I could set up a cardboard box for him but I'd like something a bit more permanent if possible.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Can anyone recommend a "hidey spot" I can purchase for my cat?

He gets scared during thunderstorms and likes to hide. He used to go under a recliner that we have but I'm so worried that he's going to get hurt under there from the mechanisms of the chair that I had to close it up with a piece of cardboard.

He went into a closet for a bit but didn't stay in there too long. He used to go under our bed when we had an oversized quilt on it as it would cover all sides of the bed, but since we got new bedding he doesn't seem terribly interested in it.

I guess I could set up a cardboard box for him but I'd like something a bit more permanent if possible.

Some cat trees (both taller and shorter ones) have "rooms" they can hide in when needed, with varying levels of shelter. Stuff with a smaller entrance like this may be ideal:

cat-s-choice-corner-roost-cat-tree-1200x1200.jpg

For extra secludedness, you can orient it so the entrance faces the wall. :)