• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I was late by like 8-10 mins on my insulin dose for my cat, hopefully all will be well. ;-;

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Just got my kittens (Lil and Bill) their spay and neuter today (I see we had another neuter in the thread recently). The vet says that they're supposed to be wearing cones for the next ten days, but Lil got hers off before I got them home and Bill didn't take much longer. I tried putting them back on and tightening them a little (making sure they could still breathe), but when I did that, Lil started squirming around so much that I was worried she'd open her sutures and I took it off her myself.

I contacted the vet about it and they suggested putting them on sedatives, but that sounds extreme to me. Also, I've had plenty of cats spayed and neutered before and I can't remember any of them ever needing to wear a cone. At least, I'm certain that my last two spays didn't.

They're already acting like things are normal - eating, drinking, and (concerningly) wrestling.

I tried to separate them, but that led to some very insistent, loud complaints. For the moment, they're focusing on toys rather than each other, at least. What are the opinions here? Give the cones another try, sedate them, separate them, or let them be?

It should be OK, although preventing them from wrestling would probably be ideal. Worst case scenario is some of the stitches coming off, thus needing antibiotics and re-stitching. Keep an eye on the stitches to make sure they're in place, and take them to the vet if any come off.

Man, I was late by like 8-10 mins on my insulin dose for my cat, hopefully all will be well. ;-;

I don't know a lot about diabetes on cats, but from a cursory research it should be absolutely fine, and it's only much longer-term lack of insuling that's a concern.
www.adwdiabetes.com

Giving a Pet Insulin Injection and Missing | Ask Dr. Joi | ADW Diabetes

I enjoy interacting with our readers, sometimes the question is worthy of a newsletter. Todays question is about missing a pet insulin injection.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
It should be OK, although preventing them from wrestling would probably be ideal. Worst case scenario is some of the stitches coming off, thus needing antibiotics and re-stitching. Keep an eye on the stitches to make sure they're in place, and take them to the vet if any come off.

I don't know a lot about diabetes on cats, but from a cursory research it should be absolutely fine, and it's only much longer-term lack of insuling that's a concern.
www.adwdiabetes.com

Giving a Pet Insulin Injection and Missing | Ask Dr. Joi | ADW Diabetes

I enjoy interacting with our readers, sometimes the question is worthy of a newsletter. Todays question is about missing a pet insulin injection.
Phew, that's reassuring, I had my head somewhere else then I realized "Oh, gotta give him his insulin". He took it fine anyway! I'm happy to say, overall, my cat seem to regain his mobility little by little and he lost some weight too!

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Converting them to indoor office cats

they seem to be good and not trying to destroy the inside. It's just cooler in here than outside.

msaKdZZ.jpg

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
gq4xMcN.jpg

Damnit. My newly adopted kitty is sick. 😿 I noticed after bringing him home approx 3 weeks ago he had a slight wheeze, it wasn't that bad. When I brought him to the vet about a week ago she didn't notice anything. Now his wheezing is more pronounced, he's congested, and is sneezing occasionally. He's also having difficulty eating hard food now (no problem with soft). I take him to the vet again on Thurs.

He is still playful and drinking- he just mock pounced on me as I walked by. He's a cutie.

I'm really not liking the shelter I adopted him from, first fleas, now this.

FYI: My orange tabby is cuter than your orange tabby. lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Damnit. My newly adopted kitty is sick. 😿 I noticed after bringing him home approx 3 weeks ago he had a slight wheeze, it wasn't that bad. When I brought him to the vet about a week ago she didn't notice anything. Now his wheezing is more pronounced, he's congested, and is sneezing occasionally. He's also having difficulty eating hard food now (no problem with soft). I take him to the vet again on Thurs.

He is still playful and drinking- he just mock pounced on me as I walked by. He's a cutie.

Probably a cold. The issue with dry food is probably either because loss of smell, which is connected to appetite (wet food smells a lot more), or a sore throat. Make sure he eats enough, even if it has to eat wet food for a while, and let's see what the vet says.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
gq4xMcN.jpg

FYI: My orange tabby is cuter than your orange tabby. lol

Respiratory issues are very common in shelters and shelter adopted cats because one has and it spreads because there is so many cats. Also indoor cats can just get them,my parents have 7 cats, all indoors and someone one got a respiratory infection and needed to antibiotics for a week.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
I need advice on a cat that has shown up outside and is hanging around my house. He is very skinny, a male, mostly likely about a year old. He came around June and so far I cannot figure out who owns him. I have been feeding him daily because he is so skinny and always hungry. He can easily eat 2 5.5 oz cans of food per day.

The issue: He is very friendly, he runs to me when he sees me, he wants to be pet, he purrs, rubs me, rolls around, he follows me if I walk around my yard, gets on my lap and then he will suddenly hiss and try to scratch or bite me. The other day he crawled onto my lap as I was sitting, I was petting him and talking to him softly, he was purring and then suddenly he hissed, grabbed me with all 4 feet and tried to bite me. He didn't because I had a sweatshirt on so he bit that. 2 seconds later he was rubbing against me and purring again. Yesterday I was just petting him and he suddenly turned and tried to bite me and hissed.

With that behavior I do not want to take him to a shelter, our rescues are beyond full and with him being unpredictable I do not want to bring him inside my house. He is fine outside now but soon it will be cold and snowy and I feel bad for him. I am also getting quite attached to him.

When he bites or hisses I tell him a firm "No", not yelling but firm and I walk away from him or stop petting him. Anything else I could try? Thanks CatEra!

I have named him "Pepper" and he is the kitty in the picture below.

"Pepper"

Last edited:
OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I need advice on a cat that has shown up outside and is hanging around my house. He is very skinny, a male, mostly likely about a year old. He came around June and so far I cannot figure out who owns him. I have been feeding him daily because he is so skinny and always hungry. He can easily eat 2 5.5 oz cans of food per day.

The issue: He is very friendly, he runs to me when he sees me, he wants to be pet, he purrs, rubs me, rolls around, he follows me if I walk around my yard, gets on my lap and then he will suddenly hiss and try to scratch or bite me. The other day he crawled onto my lap as I was sitting, I was petting him and talking to him softly, he was purring and then suddenly he hissed, grabbed me with all 4 feet and tried to bite me. He didn't because I had a sweatshirt on so he bit that. 2 seconds later he was rubbing against me and purring again. Yesterday I was just petting him and he suddenly turned and tried to bite me and hissed.

With that behavior I do not want to take him to a shelter, our rescues are beyond full and with him being unpredictable I do not want to bring him inside my house. He is fine outside now but soon it will be cold and snowy and I feel bad for him. I am also getting quite attached to him.

When he bites or hisses I tell him a firm "No", not yelling but firm and I walk away from him or stop petting him. Anything else I could try? Thanks CatEra!

I have named him "Pepper" and he is the kitty in the picture below.

"Pepper"

Does he only get aggressive when you pet him? Some cats have a particularly low sensitivity threshold and get overstimulated easily. I've noticed street cats that are recently adopted or fostered are more prone to overstimulation, probably due to not being used to be petted. When overstimulation happens, the cat perceives petting as actually hurtful and lashes out instinctively to defend themselves.

Resources about overstimulation and how to handle it:

Overstimulated Cats

Cats who are overstimulated may exhibit aggressive or destructive behavior. Learn how to deal with this behavior when it happens.
www.hshv.org

Petting-Induced or Overstimulation Aggression in Cats - HSHV

Many of us have had the pleasure of petting our cat, when all of a sudden; the cat bites your hand and runs away. This is called petting induced or overstimulation aggression. It’s a common behavior in many cats, and is something that can be both frustrating and frightening until you learn how...

If he becomes aggressive even without being petted, then it's probably something else, which may be trickier to diagnose; it might be an injury, illness, stress, or any other reason that's causing him ocassional pain or disconfort, and he lashes out in frustration at the nearest entity. In this case a visit to the vet would be the first step to rule out anything more serious.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Awww. My kitty has trust issues. He doesn't like to eat from my hand and he won't sit next to me. I tried putting cat treats on the couch next to me but he won't take them.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
not cat related news. but a possum just walked into our work parking lot and died (or sleeping?). i got up close and saw the butt was hemorrhaged. and some wounds near the hind leg? it wasn't bloody it just looks weird.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
Does he only get aggressive when you pet him? Some cats have a particularly low sensitivity threshold and get overstimulated easily. I've noticed street cats that are recently adopted or fostered are more prone to overstimulation, probably due to not being used to be petted. When overstimulation happens, the cat perceives petting as actually hurtful and lashes out instinctively to defend themselves.

Resources about overstimulation and how to handle it:

Overstimulated Cats

Cats who are overstimulated may exhibit aggressive or destructive behavior. Learn how to deal with this behavior when it happens.
www.hshv.org

Petting-Induced or Overstimulation Aggression in Cats - HSHV

Many of us have had the pleasure of petting our cat, when all of a sudden; the cat bites your hand and runs away. This is called petting induced or overstimulation aggression. It’s a common behavior in many cats, and is something that can be both frustrating and frightening until you learn how...

If he becomes aggressive even without being petted, then it's probably something else, which may be trickier to diagnose; it might be an injury, illness, stress, or any other reason that's causing him ocassional pain or disconfort, and he lashes out in frustration at the nearest entity. In this case a visit to the vet would be the first step to rule out anything more serious.

Thank you, I think that is it. He has never lashed out without me petting him. He always runs to see me (or food I bring him) when I walk out onto the porch. I will have to try and work with him and see if I can get him more use to be petted because he at this point would not make a good pet cat, especially for someone with children.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Thank you, I think that is it. He has never lashed out without me petting him. He always runs to see me (or food I bring him) when I walk out onto the porch. I will have to try and work with him and see if I can get him more use to be petted because he at this point would not make a good pet cat, especially for someone with children.

Glad to be of service! :) Overstimulation is one of the least known and most misunderstood cats things, and unfortunately one of the reasons a lot of people don't have a very positive image of cats. I've just realized there's no tip about it in the OP, which I should remedy shortly.

It's also common even in house cats; owners often need to know its threshold for each cat. It doesn't make a cat as unadoptable as one may think, as long as the cat is otherwise loving. :)

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
my fat cat is a bit like. don't touch me but touch me. he doesn't do anything really like lash out. when i pick him up. he just pushes his hind leg on me. but doesn't like try to wriggle or jump out of my hand.

other one on the other hand. you can cradle him like a baby and he doesn't care. lol.

edit

didn't know google photos had a basic collage feature

SnYHrX3.jpg

Last edited:

Housecat

Oct 25, 2017
Here's some photos of two of my cats enjoying some nice fall weather. The solid grey one looks chunky but she isn't at all, she just have a skin 2-3 numbers too large and super dense fur :p
O9vcpwB.jpg

xRXoqdI.jpg

FONXWo5.jpg

hddMtgo.jpg

dyQafXF.jpg

szyIWfj.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry---photo heavy post!

We almost had our first foster fail with our ringworm kitten Nadja. She completely cleared of ringworm with regular medicated baths and ointment, and luckily, no one else in the house got it too. I think because she went with very minimum physical contact for weeks, it made her all the more lovey when she finally got it. She could be sprinting circles around the room, but if you picked her up then she'd melt in your arms. If you didn't put her down, she'd never want to leave. I was inches away from keeping her, but we sent her to a home this past weekend as a trial run, and Nadja ended up getting along great with the other cat there. So, she has now found her forever home.

Early days of ringworm. Her feet and face had so many patches of missing fur that you can't see from this picture.
Nadja.jpg

And her last night with us:
1600651565006.jpg

1600651588583.jpg

I hoped to have a break after Nadja since she was so much work and I'm exhausted with work stuff, but someone messaged us about 3 barn kittens they captured and my wife apparently didn't hear me say no...selective hearing, I think! Mom left the kittens and they needed someone to get them used to people. The plan was to pick them up this Friday, but I found out yesterday that the person who caught them had kept them in a cage. She didn't have a dedicated area because she fosters dogs, so the kittens had mostly been living in a cage. My wife made the drive yesterday to pick them up while I did one more thorough cleaning of our room just in case ringworm survived our previous billion cleanings.

Pictures from their first night with us last night!
1600700284399.jpg

1600700288834.jpg

1600700288911.jpg

They were very hissy, but coming around quickly. And they've used the litterboxes each time so far---no accidents. This should be a breeze after Nadja...I hope.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Sorry---photo heavy post!

We almost had our first foster fail with our ringworm kitten Nadja. She completely cleared of ringworm with regular medicated baths and ointment, and luckily, no one else in the house got it too. I think because she went with very minimum physical contact for weeks, it made her all the more lovey when she finally got it. She could be sprinting circles around the room, but if you picked her up then she'd melt in your arms. If you didn't put her down, she'd never want to leave. I was inches away from keeping her, but we sent her to a home this past weekend as a trial run, and Nadja ended up getting along great with the other cat there. So, she has now found her forever home.

Early days of ringworm. Her feet and face had so many patches of missing fur that you can't see from this picture.
Nadja.jpg

And her last night with us:
1600651565006.jpg

1600651588583.jpg

I hoped to have a break after Nadja since she was so much work and I'm exhausted with work stuff, but someone messaged us about 3 barn kittens they captured and my wife apparently didn't hear me say no...selective hearing, I think! Mom left the kittens and they needed someone to get them used to people. The plan was to pick them up this Friday, but I found out yesterday that the person who caught them had kept them in a cage. She didn't have a dedicated area because she fosters dogs, so the kittens had mostly been living in a cage. My wife made the drive yesterday to pick them up while I did one more thorough cleaning of our room just in case ringworm survived our previous billion cleanings.

Pictures from their first night with us last night!
1600700284399.jpg

1600700288834.jpg

1600700288911.jpg

They were very hissy, but coming around quickly. And they've used the litterboxes each time so far---no accidents. This should be a breeze after Nadja...I hope.

Amazing work as always. When I heard "foster fail" I was thinking a lot direr (although the "almost" gave me some reassurance), but yeah, I know how it is to fall for one and wanting to keep it. I've only ever kept one, but damn if I wasn't this close with many of the others.

Currently fostering two, and one of them is such a sweet, beautiful white kitty. Adopters are going to fight each other over him. I should post some videos or photos, I'll ask my SO for them since she has a lot.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Awww. My newly adopted kitty has Herpesvirus infection (feline viral rhinotracheitis). He wheezes, sneezes, and is congested. Will always have it. Probably picked it up in the shelter (along with fleas).

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Started bRushing my cats teeth.

Also over the weekend they got in the bathroom and started leaving prints all over the

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Awww. My newly adopted kitty has Herpesvirus infection (feline viral rhinotracheitis). He wheezes, sneezes, and is congested. Will always have it. Probably picked it up in the shelter (along with fleas).
We're pretty sure that Taika picked his up at the shelter too. Just make sure he gets treated this occasion and as long as he stays inside hopefully you won't see symptoms pop up again :)

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
We're pretty sure that Taika picked his up at the shelter too. Just make sure he gets treated this occasion and as long as he stays inside hopefully you won't see symptoms pop up again :)
Vet said he is ok, no discharge, just to watch him. If it gets worse then we will try antibiotics. She said occasionally young male cats will develop polyps in the ears from it. Yuck.

He's very play-aggressive. He will stalk me around the house and pounce on me when I'm not looking. He will also drop down on the floor when I pet him sometimes and start biting my hands (not hard). Have to train him out of this. It's cute but I don't want to step on him or trip and fall.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017

Goddamnit! He has tapeworms! I just cleaned some off his butt. I took him to the vet 2x in 3 weeks and they said a fecal test came back negative. He probably still has fleas, I paid $70 for a Seresto collar, gave him Capstar, and I bet my apartment is infested to hell.

Last edited:

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
CatERA I need your help

A couple of days ago (less than a week) I installed safety nets in my windows and a little "balcony".

The thing is, at least one of my cats has already chewed off some of the net! The idea is that they can come out there to get fresh air while being safe enough that they won't fall off.

I need to take quick action. What can I do to prevent my cat from chewing the net? I was thinking about a repel but I also want them to keep going to their balcony since that's what it is for, for them to get fresh air and sunlight in the morning. So what can be enough of a repel for when they chew, but not strong in the smell so they still get up there?

Kompis

Oct 27, 2017
CatERA I need your help

A couple of days ago (less than a week) I installed safety nets in my windows and a little "balcony".

The thing is, at least one of my cats has already chewed off some of the net! The idea is that they can come out there to get fresh air while being safe enough that they won't fall off.

I need to take quick action. What can I do to prevent my cat from chewing the net? I was thinking about a repel but I also want them to keep going to their balcony since that's what it is for, for them to get fresh air and sunlight in the morning. So what can be enough of a repel for when they chew, but not strong in the smell so they still get up there?
Best bet would be to get a stronger net imho. I bought a net that is supposed to withstand deer just to be safe.

looks like this
9GefyCz.jpg

Last edited:

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Best bet would be to get a stronger net imho. I bought a net that is supposed to withstand deer just to be safe.

looks like this
9GefyCz.jpg

A Stronger net would be cool but right now out of the option. Already blew off the money on the structure and net plus the people that came and installed them. It does support the weight (I tested it), the problem is that the cat chews chews chews chews, chews and pulls, then chews chews... this has been a 5 days work of the little rascal when no one is looking at him

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Texted with the woman who runs the shelter where I adopted Mandarin from- addressed all my issues that I've had in the past month I've had him:

1. Fleas
2. feline viral rhinotracheitis
3. Tapeworms
4. Vet bills

She suggested I return him, of course I said no, then she asked me what I expected her to do. I responded- reimburse me for my vet bills and apartment fumigation costs. Their vet should have at least caught some of these things and they should be aware that Herpesvirus is going around in their shelter. No need for my kitty to suffer this way. Why the hell didn't their vet catch fleas? It took my vet 2 secs to catch that.

It's also costing me a fortune.

Oct 26, 2017
Amazing work as always. When I heard "foster fail" I was thinking a lot direr (although the "almost" gave me some reassurance), but yeah, I know how it is to fall for one and wanting to keep it. I've only ever kept one, but damn if I wasn't this close with many of the others.

Currently fostering two, and one of them is such a sweet, beautiful white kitty. Adopters are going to fight each other over him. I should post some videos or photos, I'll ask my SO for them since she has a lot.
Yes, please!

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Our poor Jasper was attacked by two dogs while on our walk the other day, but therapy cat Taika has really stepped up and cemented their bond:
vkomvxHl.jpg
CyX1WPRl.jpg

IZCjQP7l.jpg

Bonus:
Kiki and Taika are getting along famously, too. They will often play together, and scratch at the door when separated (at night time, or whenever Kiki wants to be in her room). It's super cute. The fact that no fights or anything broke out when this happened I think speaks volumes:
obDxXzt.jpg

I love all three of our animals so much, and once Kiki fully warms to Jasper (she just doesn't snuggle with him as much, possibly intimidated by his size) we'll somehow have gotten lucky with three animals that really do love each other <3

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Our poor Jasper was attacked by two dogs while on our walk the other day, but therapy cat Taika has really stepped up and cemented their bond:
vkomvxHl.jpg
CyX1WPRl.jpg

IZCjQP7l.jpg

Bonus:
Kiki and Taika are getting along famously, too. They will often play together, and scratch at the door when separated (at night time, or whenever Kiki wants to be in her room). It's super cute. The fact that no fights or anything broke out when this happened I think speaks volumes:
obDxXzt.jpg

I love all three of our animals so much, and once Kiki fully warms to Jasper (she just doesn't snuggle with him as much, possibly intimidated by his size) we'll somehow have gotten lucky with three animals that really do love each other <3
Never saw a cat get along with an anteater before.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
He is fine outside now but soon it will be cold and snowy and I feel bad for him. I am also getting quite attached to him.

If you're up to it you can try something like this for the time being:

www.aspcapro.org

Winter Shelter Bins for Community Cats FAQ

Help outdoor kitties stay warm this winter with inexpensive foam coolers!

(there are many more examples / variations)

Last edited: