• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

treble

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can relate to that so much. I'm sure it won't be anything, but it's best to make sure.

Still, next Friday? That's quite a lot of time for a vet visit. We can usually get one within a day or two...

Yeah, it's a bit longer than I would have liked, but it was the earliest available when I contacted them on Wednesday. They're a fairly busy clinic in Downtown Toronto, but the doctors saved my old cat's life, and never once during that time tried to exploit our worry - they almost cared for us as much as our little guy. We've been chatting over email, and they gave us a list of things to watch for.

The good news is that we were able to coax him out with a bit of boiled chicken, and then got him eating his soft food and kibble again. He's not 💯 yet, but he played a bit and hangs out again, letting us pet him. He seems to be improving, which we are happy about! Hopefully he was just working on a big poop :)

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Yeah, it's a bit longer than I would have liked, but it was the earliest available when I contacted them on Wednesday. They're a fairly busy clinic in Downtown Toronto, but the doctors saved my old cat's life, and never once during that time tried to exploit our worry - they almost cared for us as much as our little guy. We've been chatting over email, and they gave us a list of things to watch for.

The good news is that we were able to coax him out with a bit of boiled chicken, and then got him eating his soft food and kibble again. He's not 💯 yet, but he played a bit and hangs out again, letting us pet him. He seems to be improving, which we are happy about! Hopefully he was just working on a big poop :)

He may have simply got a minor indigestion and tummy ache, or something. Keep an eye on him and let's hope he keeps improving. :)

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
We have a meet and greet with Astrid later today! After a few weeks of complete shittiness, hopefully this will be some positive news. Fingers crossed!
NrNbIz7.jpg
rZxay3w.jpg

Update: We've met Astrid and she's delightful, and forms have been submitted to adopt this adorable little 4-month old <3

Last edited:

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Cold as hell. They want no part of human cuddles. :(
my cat who was rescued is the same, when she wants attention she'll come for like 1 or 2 pets. or whine non stop to play for a bit. But hold her or pet her for longer than 10 seconds and you get the fuck off swats or the run aways. She just isn't into it. Will never climb onto any body part ever as well. Carefully tiptoes around everything.

Only less than 1.5yrs old though. Not that I see it changing at any point. It definitely sucks because when you love your cat you wanna hang a certain way, but at the same time cats are gonna cat. What can ya do. I appreciate the independence half the time anyway.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
My little cat Benito likes to cuddle on bed. Rascal comes for them when I have to get out of it for work and how can I refuse 5 minutes of purring? The good/bad thing is that after some minutes of petting he'll start biting and scratching, so that's the moment to get out of bed.

Now Leia, she's a bit bigget and likes to sleep on top of me, however she can. It's winter here, so I don't mind any of it lol

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
my cat who was rescued is the same, when she wants attention she'll come for like 1 or 2 pets. or whine non stop to play for a bit. But hold her or pet her for longer than 10 seconds and you get the fuck off swats or the run aways. She just isn't into it. Will never climb onto any body part ever as well. Carefully tiptoes around everything.

Only less than 1.5yrs old though. Not that I see it changing at any point. It definitely sucks because when you love your cat you wanna hang a certain way, but at the same time cats are gonna cat. What can ya do. I appreciate the independence half the time anyway.

Yes, exactly the same. We've had our dude over a year and he's the same personality. When he's really tired you can cuddle but once he wakes up he nopes out. LOL!

He does climb on me at night because he wants food. He does show his love from afar and he's awesome regardless.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Introducing... as yet unnamed girl <3

Xlx6l2s.jpg

16 weeks old, purrs like a well tuned engine! Still working on names, wife (on her brother's suggestion) mentioned Jiji from Kiki's Delivery Service, but apparently it means "old man" in Japanese. I'm more fond of an old lady name, like Mabel.

Ideas?

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Introducing... as yet unnamed girl <3

Xlx6l2s.jpg

16 weeks old, purrs like a well tuned engine! Still working on names, wife (on her brother's suggestion) mentioned Jiji from Kiki's Delivery Service, but apparently it means "old man" in Japanese. I'm more fond of an old lady name, like Mabel.

Ideas?

Heyyyy, congratulations!

I asked my SO for names for a female black cat and she had these to contribute:
- Pixel
- Bagheera
- (Ghost Trick end spoilers!) Sissel
- Bast / Bastet
- Onyx / Onyxia
- Selina
- Truffle

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
And just like that, Taika escaped this morning when I was letting Jasper out for a whizz. And Jasper decided to fucking chase him out the backyard.

I fucking hate my life right now. Pretty pissed with Jasper too, to be honest.

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
As I've mentioned before, my cat, June, passed away in late April. She had FIP, which led to kidney failure, and the vet assured us that there was nothing we could have done to save her. I've taken her loss poorly, and so has my surviving cat, Julie. Julie was the more aloof of the two, but ever since June's death, Julie has been rather clingy - she'll meow outside the door if I'm in the bathroom and close the door and she'll take almost every opportunity to lay on me (she used to lay next to me a lot, but hardly ever on me). Her change in behavior has been sweet, but it's also very clear that she's lonely for another cat.

So, today I adopted a pair of kittens (one brown and one gray). I thought they were both girls, but that turned out to only be the case for one of them (the brown one) according to the vet (otherwise a clean bill of health).

Currently, they're both very scared from the massive change in their surroundings, so I'm letting them settle in in a nice, big, safe box with food, water, and a $30 bed inside where they can get used to being here and Julie can get used to their scents.

Aaaand of course they choose to hide between the bed and the box. Ingrates. But of course I did just separate them from their mother and other siblings and subject them to the vet, so I expect it will be a while before they warm up to me.
Yeah. And taking about it with my wife, he literally always wanted to escape. So maybe this is what he wanted to do all along :/

Hope he finds his way back though, or at least caught by someone so be can be returned. Really, really missing his cuddles right now :'(
Shit, that sucks. I hope you're able to get Taika back soon.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
As I've mentioned before, my cat, June, passed away in late April. She had FIP, which led to kidney failure, and the vet assured us that there was nothing we could have done to save her. I've taken her loss poorly, and so has my surviving cat, Julie. Julie was the more aloof of the two, but ever since June's death, Julie has been rather clingy - she'll meow outside the door if I'm in the bathroom and close the door and she'll take almost every opportunity to lay on me (she used to lay next to me a lot, but hardly ever on me). Her change in behavior has been sweet, but it's also very clear that she's lonely for another cat.

So, today I adopted a pair of kittens (one brown and one gray). I thought they were both girls, but that turned out to only be the case for one of them (the brown one) according to the vet (otherwise a clean bill of health).

Currently, they're both very scared from the massive change in their surroundings, so I'm letting them settle in in a nice, big, safe box with food, water, and a $30 bed inside where they can get used to being here and Julie can get used to their scents.

Aaaand of course they choose to hide between the bed and the box. Ingrates. But of course I did just separate them from their mother and other siblings and subject them to the vet, so I expect it will be a while before they warm up to me.

These are beautiful. Ttry to hand-feed them and play with them, this will make them get used to you faster. As you say, this is a traumatic time for them, but fortunately kittens are forgetful and resilient and get used to new environments quickly.

We hope so too! But we've almost kind of reconciled that he always wanted to be outside and may have just been born to be an outdoor cat :(

How safe it is for outdoor cats where you live?

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I
OK, that's encouraging. Keep us informed in any case, and best of luck.
I wasn't sure if that's what you meant so I'm glad it is, and that it's a good idea.

Have put posters up and did a letterbox drop, not expecting him to come back to our house but hoping he'll get picked up by someone when he hopefully goes to someone's door for food.

I'll be getting up early tomorrow to look for him at dawn, too. Apparently that's the best time to look.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I wasn't sure if that's what you meant so I'm glad it is, and that it's a good idea.

Um, I'm a bit confused, hahah. What else did you think I was asking? And what's "a good idea"? Sorry, it seems like there's some ambiguety or subtext here I may be missing as a non-native speaker.

To be on the same page, I was asking if the zone is safe enough so that he will hopefully not be run over, etc. until someone finds him, and also if it's a relatively small urbanized area that he will hopefully not wander too far from. We ourselves live in a large city and close to a pretty big 6-lane road so it's more dangerous for cats to be around, especially house cats that may not be used to avoiding cars, and may wander far away from home. Although the upside is that we live in an apartment so it's next to impossible for cats to run away (at most they would run into the stair landing, and there's two street doors after that).

Sonicbug

Oct 26, 2017
The Void, MA
The best thing you can do with a lost cat is ask the neighbors to check their sheds/under porches/etc for him. Put something out near the door with his scent on it and some food. Walk the block calling his name, listen for a meow.

Around here we have coyotes and my friend who insisted on having outdoor cats lost at least one to them. (The other was hit by a car.) Her third cat decided to rehome itself.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Um, I'm a bit confused, hahah. What else did you think I was asking? And what's "a good idea"? Sorry, it seems like there's some ambiguety or subtext here I may be missing as a non-native speaker.

To be on the same page, I was asking if the zone is safe enough so that he will hopefully not be run over, etc. until someone finds him, and also if it's a relatively small urbanized area that he will hopefully not wander too far from. We ourselves live in a large city and close to a pretty big 6-lane road so it's more dangerous for cats to be around, especially house cats that may not be used to avoiding cars, and may wander far away from home. Although the upside is that we live in an apartment so it's next to impossible for cats to run away (at most they would run into the stair landing, and there's two street doors after that).
It turns out I understood your post perfectly fine :) It's a fairly quiet neighbourhood, no real feral/wild animals to speak of other than maybe other cats, birds etc. Low traffic and no major roads nearby. So we're lucky in that regard! Just hope that he even wants to come back with us, he's wanted to escape whenever the front door back door was opened (with security door closed) ever since we got him. So in hindsight maybe it wasn't the best idea for us to get a cat that was originally caught outside :/

Oct 27, 2017
Cold as hell. They want no part of human cuddles. :(

That sucks. My cat has to, at least once a day, cuddle up to me and suckle on my shirt for a bit while she's purring. It's because I picked her up when she was very young. It was annoying at first but it's very cute. And she seems to have realized not to do it while I'm trying to sleep.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
It turns out I understood your post perfectly fine :) It's a fairly quiet neighbourhood, no real feral/wild animals to speak of other than maybe other cats, birds etc. Low traffic and no major roads nearby. So we're lucky in that regard! Just hope that he even wants to come back with us, he's wanted to escape whenever the front door back door was opened (with security door closed) ever since we got him. So in hindsight maybe it wasn't the best idea for us to get a cat that was originally caught outside :/

Yeah, he's probably used to outside life. With any luck that means he also has the savvy to keep himself safe, and probably come back once he wants food.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, he's probably used to outside life. With any luck that means he also has the savvy to keep himself safe, and probably come back once he wants food.
That's what we're hoping for! Some food we left out the back was eaten last night, so we're hoping it was him that ate it. I had a security camera waiting to be setup for the backyard so I did that today. Hoping it's our boy that was eating it!

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
ALPebNZ.jpg

Can't fucking believe it. Little turd. So relieved though! Now to work out how to trap him, and what we need to do afterwards (like vet checkup etc). Definitely getting him a harness for walks and a fucking GPS.

Last edited:

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a really hard few weeks without Darien. The house is so different without him always getting into and wanting to do things. Our other 2 cats sleep most all day, I barely know we even have cats now that Darien is gone. I love our other 2 cats but it is just not the same without Darien.

Then last night I discovered one or both of the other cats has been peeing on the floor in front of the litter boxes. I am hoping that Darien missed in one of his last days and so the other 2 just decided to start peeing there too. I didn't notice the smell/pee until last night as I have also been sick this week too. So last night when I was just about to go to bed I spent an hour picking up the rug, washing the floor and litter boxes and cleaning up the mess the pee left all over the litter box area. No one has ever peed on the floor before so I will keep an eye on the litter box area and hopefully figure out who is doing it and why.

It's been a crappy few weeks!

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
I wanted to ask Weltall Zero this, but since I can't, would anyone here be willing to help me out with a feeding question?

My boy is a little over two years old, but I guess I really have been overfeeding him--the vet weighed him yesterday at 14 pounds. I don't want him to get any heavier, but I'm nervous about hurting his liver (or any other internals) by over cutting his meal portions. He is pretty much an indoors cat and the only exercise he gets is when I play with him--which hasn't been a whole lot lately due to stuff. I currently have him on Taste of the Wild--how much should I be feeding him, and how many times a day--without hurting him?

Glad your cat is alright Shaneus--hope you can now catch him!

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
He's home <3

b3NOq4t.jpg

After all the cat trap attempts and luring and letterbox drops and bill posting, he just fucking decided to walk in through the front door like nothing ever happened. Little shit.

Looks okay too considering the time he spent outside, don't think he got into any scuffles, isn't paying special attention to any particular part of his body and is fine with being picked up etc. I guess we don't need to visit a vet at this stage if nothing's visibly wrong?

9Bjb4Sx.jpg

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
He's home <3
After all the cat trap attempts and luring and letterbox drops and bill posting, he just fucking decided to walk in through the front door like nothing ever happened. Little shit.

Looks okay too considering the time he spent outside, don't think he got into any scuffles, isn't paying special attention to any particular part of his body and is fine with being picked up etc. I guess we don't need to visit a vet at this stage if nothing's visibly wrong?

I am so glad your kitty came home, sounds like he had a nice little outside adventure! If he does not seem ill or hurt, I wouldn't take him to the vet. It is possible he picked up fleas while outside so you might want to buy some flea medicine (not hartz brand) if you don't already put it on him. Also, check him for ticks and take them off if you find any.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to ask Weltall Zero this, but since I can't, would anyone here be willing to help me out with a feeding question?

My boy is a little over two years old, but I guess I really have been overfeeding him--the vet weighed him yesterday at 14 pounds. I don't want him to get any heavier, but I'm nervous about hurting his liver (or any other internals) by over cutting his meal portions. He is pretty much an indoors cat and the only exercise he gets is when I play with him--which hasn't been a whole lot lately due to stuff. I currently have him on Taste of the Wild--how much should I be feeding him, and how many times a day--without hurting him?

Glad your cat is alright Shaneus--hope you can now catch him!

How much your cat should eat really depends on how active he is and what type of food he eats. Wet food is always better for cats than dry because it gives them the moisture they need, most cats don't drink enough to make up for being fed dry food.

Did the vet tell you he should loose weight or is he at a good weight for his size? If he needs to loose a little weight, just reduce his food or treats by a small amount. How much are you feeding him now?

My cats get fed in the morning around 6:30, a small snack in the afternoon and dinner around 8-9pm. They get 1 5.5 oz can split between them morning and night, plus a few treats for a snack. I personally found that with free feeding the cats ate too much and were overweight, although some people leave dry food out all the time, it all depends on the cat.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
How much your cat should eat really depends on how active he is and what type of food he eats. Wet food is always better for cats than dry because it gives them the moisture they need, most cats don't drink enough to make up for being fed dry food.

Did the vet tell you he should loose weight or is he at a good weight for his size? If he needs to loose a little weight, just reduce his food or treats by a small amount. How much are you feeding him now?

My cats get fed in the morning around 6:30, a small snack in the afternoon and dinner around 8-9pm. They get 1 5.5 oz can split between them morning and night, plus a few treats for a snack. I personally found that with free feeding the cats ate too much and were overweight, although some people leave dry food out all the time, it all depends on the cat.

Yeah, the vet seemed to imply that he was a little overweight; his belly is sagging a bit, which I thought was an after-effect to his being neutered, but I was told that wasn't the case. Since he's not very active, I initially fed him 1/4 cups of dry food twice--at 6AM and 5PM. After the visit, I have him down to 1/8 cups, still twice a day; no snacks. I'm just a little worried if this is too drastic for him.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I am so glad your kitty came home, sounds like he had a nice little outside adventure! If he does not seem ill or hurt, I wouldn't take him to the vet. It is possible he picked up fleas while outside so you might want to buy some flea medicine (not hartz brand) if you don't already put it on him. Also, check him for ticks and take them off if you find any.
He was treated for fleas only a well or so before he escaped, and there's no visible signs at all so I think he's come out of it pretty well (save for dirty paws).

So glad to have him home, now we begin the journey of introducing him to his sister!

nopressure

Oct 28, 2017
What products do you guys use for cleaning your cats' teeth. I just heard from a coworker how much it costed them to clean their cats'; I'd rather just avoid the problem for my two.

I've seen chew products for dogs, but I assume they're no good for cats.

Sonicbug

Oct 26, 2017
The Void, MA
What products do you guys use for cleaning your cats' teeth. I just heard from a coworker how much it costed them to clean their cats'; I'd rather just avoid the problem for my two.
I've seen chew products for dogs, but I assume they're no good for cats.

The easiest solution seems to be those cat dental care treats, like Greenies. I think I lucked out with my cat in that because we fed her dry food (wet food didn't agree with her for some reason) she had perfect teeth her whole life. Part of it really just comes down to genetics. Some cats end up with terrible teeth no matter what you do.