• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kompis

Oct 27, 2017
Brought home another kitten last weekend so my existing kitten would have some more company. Some fights to begin with but now they are playing and snuggling together all the time. :3

WmolSqJ.jpg

L9d9Q33.jpg

Gio

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manila
My wife and I adopted this guy from our local animal shelter today. The name he had at the shelter was Balto, but after northexit gave me this suggestion, and talking it over with my wife, we decided to name him Kittle.

103735255-2595047634143584-4260541994390282152-o.jpg

103725060-2594958337485847-4281250535636798637-o.jpg

He was one of three that we were looking at, and we pretty much knew he was the one as soon as my wife held him (one was shy and didn't want to leave his bed and the other just didn't want to be held). He just melted into her arms and soaked up all the love. This cat is a serious cuddle bug. They told us at the shelter that it could take up to a week for him to get adjusted and jump into our laps, he did it within an hour of getting home. Once he got over the initial shock of being in a new place, all he's wanted to do is just cuddle with the two of us.
He sounds like such a sweetie pie. Very happy for both of you and Kittle :)

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
So to continue The Saga of Crabby Picard.

Took some of the advice and we played with him last night before and after dinner. The problem is it's just really hard to get him to engage in playing. He'll bad at things for a little while then just sit there and relax for the next 10 minutes. You try to put it away he acts like he was playing with the whole time.

Any good toy suggestions because the only thing that has ever really engaged my cats has been the laser pointers and I know you're not supposed to use those for cats so we stopped.

Another piece of behavior that is more intermittent but still happens. When we go to bed he will start jumping on the dresser and rubbing against things that he knows makes noise. Then after that behind the box fan and meow.

If you eventually get him to come up on the bed you'll be happy for about 5 minutes then he'll move on and start this whole process again. I'm sure they're related but I'm not sure what to do about that one

Sonicbug

Oct 26, 2017
The Void, MA
Took some of the advice and we played with him last night before and after dinner. The problem is it's just really hard to get him to engage in playing. He'll bad at things for a little while then just sit there and relax for the next 10 minutes. You try to put it away he acts like he was playing with the whole time.
Any good toy suggestions because the only thing that has ever really engaged my cats has been the laser pointers and I know you're not supposed to use those for cats so we stopped.
Another piece of behavior that is more intermittent but still happens. When we go to bed he will start jumping on the dresser and rubbing against things that he knows makes noise. Then after that behind the box fan and meow.

My cat only ever engaged with wand toys (and living objects.... like house flies.) Kong makes this wicker balls filled with catnip that my cat used to love as well. There are these plastic spring things that all the shelter cats adore. They also make these cat activity treat board things that might be good if your cat is food motivated and you want to distract him for awhile.

As for the 'plays for ten minutes and stops' cats will play a bunch, take a break, play some more, take a break. It mimics their hunting style. So when it looks like he gets bored, let him take a break and you should see a second and third wind.

I can't help but laugh at the last part. Q would open the kitchen cabinets and let them slam shut. I'd look down the hallway, make eye contact, she would move a paw and open the cabinet again with a "Yup, gonna keep doing this till you give me what I want" look. They know what pushes our buttons.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I can't help but laugh at the last part. Q would open the kitchen cabinets and let them slam shut. I'd look down the hallway, make eye contact, she would move a paw and open the cabinet again with a "Yup, gonna keep doing this till you give me what I want" look. They know what pushes our buttons.

LOL. That is the exact same thing Picard does. He rubs his face against the earring rack knowing it makes a ton of noise. Then stops and looks right at us.

It's actually similar to what he does with the carpets and balcony door. Scratches at it then looks to see if we're looking at him.

I honestly wish I really spoke cat because I would give him whatever he wants if you would stop doing what he's doing.

It does remind me that I have to film him running into the bedroom while I'm singing the "Nap Buddy!" Song.

MrT

Oct 27, 2017
All the cats we've owned and fostered have had their own "favourite" toys, but the one toy every single one of them has gone crazy for is the Cat Dancer, it never fails.

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like mama beck is weaning Ashby a little early (he's a little past 3weeks old but he's an only child so he's very chonky)

other than him watching mama cat eat, how else should a kitten learn how to eat solid/wet food. Should we separate them so beck doesn't eat his share too?

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Looks like mama beck is weaning Ashby a little early (he's a little past 3weeks old but he's an only child so he's very chonky)

other than him watching mama cat eat, how else should a kitten learn how to eat solid/wet food. Should we separate them so beck doesn't eat his share too?

You can simply feed him by hand, especially if he trusts you, and see if he eats it on his own. Cats are more likely to eat food if they're hand fed by someone they trust; this also works for sick cats that have lost their appetite, etc.

You can also simply always leave dry food available, e.g. with a dispenser, which is what we do with ours.

Nox

Dec 23, 2017
Does anyone have experience with automatic feeders? Are they a good idea to have?

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Does anyone have experience with automatic feeders? Are they a good idea to have?

We have one that was donated to us. It works well enough and we have it set to dispense Purizon at certain times, since it's the one kind of dry food they will gobble and gobble until it's gone. We still have regular feeders filled with other kinds of dry food available at all times, though. In general I would not bother investing in one unless your cat actually develops weight issues, since not having food available at all times can create anxiety and be counterproductive.

ieu

Oct 26, 2017
Mid Wales
Happy birthday to Percy, the gentlest boy I know.
Today he turns three and so to mark the occasion he's got a new food caddy to stop it going stale and a new scratching post to replace the very first post he used as a kitten.

Oct 28, 2017
We have an indoor/outdoor cat and moved a week ago. Does anyone have any tips for getting her used to her new outdoors? She used to enjoy spending a great amount of time outside. She's only stepped outside 3 times since we moved, and will not go much farther than the door. And, any tips on preventing her from getting lost once she's comfortable being outside? We have a wooded acre, and many more acres of woods behind us, so we are worried she'll get lost easily.

Oct 26, 2017
That dual colour looks beautiful. Also I think certain cats have a thing for feet. I know mine does.
I'm pretty sure all cats have a foot fetish because it's our body part closest to their nose they can smell and rub their pheromones on to mark their territory haha

Update on little Ash
Little guy just stood in the food bowl for five minutes where mama beck growled at him because she couldn't eat the kibble around him

Ash: if I stand in the bowl, do I absorb nutrients thru my feet🧐

Alas, he still hasn't figured out how to eat solids. He'll poke his nose in waterbowl then flinch

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Chloe's slowly going downhill, her balance isn't great, she looks more frail than ever and just about looks like she's had enough :/ It's been a shit week or so and her health has been weighing heavily on our minds to boot.

But we occasionally get moments like this which make us think she might want to stick around for at least a little while yet (or she might be okay sticking around for a bit longer):
WC0RlmZ.jpg

I just hope we know when the time is right, and that time hasn't already passed. Hate to think she's in any kind of pain and doesn't want to stick around anymore :( She still likes her mackerel though and always hangs out in the kitchen when I'm cooking chicken, so she at least has little pleasures, thankfully.

Bonus photos:
wwFNCpW.jpg

sNKaX0E.jpg

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Chloe's slowly going downhill, her balance isn't great, she looks more frail than ever and just about looks like she's had enough :/ It's been a shit week or so and her health has been weighing heavily on our minds to boot.

But we occasionally get moments like this which make us think she might want to stick around for at least a little while yet (or she might be okay sticking around for a bit longer):
WC0RlmZ.jpg

I just hope we know when the time is right, and that time hasn't already passed. Hate to think she's in any kind of pain and doesn't want to stick around anymore :( She still likes her mackerel though and always hangs out in the kitchen when I'm cooking chicken, so she at least has little pleasures, thankfully.

Bonus photos:
wwFNCpW.jpg

sNKaX0E.jpg

I'm very sorry to hear both of your bad week and Chloe's health. I think as long as she's not in obvious pain you should keep her going; you're probably the best judge for that, but when cats are in pain they typically hide, because that's their instinctive response to injuries and pain.

Oct 26, 2017

Bonus photos:
wwFNCpW.jpg

sNKaX0E.jpg
Sorry to hear. Is she the frst cat with the black nose? I love that little boop.

Gio

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manila

WC0RlmZ.jpg

Bonus photos:
wwFNCpW.jpg

sNKaX0E.jpg
I was browsing the early pages of the thread and saw that you had posted about Chloe seeming thin and wobbly even back then. Must be the mackerel keeping her around.

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
Do you know what's wrong with her? Being thin and wobbly reminds me of my cat who I had to put down a little over eight weeks ago. She had FIP, which is said to basically be a death sentence, but apparently there are experimental treatments involving immunosuppressants and antibiotics (I found out too late for my little girl, who was already in kidney failure by the time the vet identified the problem).

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
My little Luci has been having coughing/wheezing fits for a little over a month now and our vet has been zero help :( They take ages to get back to us and when they do, they tell us we could try a bunch of different things instead of giving us clear advice on how to move forward.

Never though finding a vet that we trust would be more difficult than finding a doctor, but everyone we've reached out to has not been responsive at all.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry to hear. Is she the frst cat with the black nose? I love that little boop.
Yup! We lost her sister late last year and was always the healthier looking one. So it's a surprise this little grumble-bum is still sticking around. Scowly as ever!

But yeah, that boop is a fairly uncommon thing and we always look out for cats that have black noises. It's her little black love heart 🖤

I was browsing the early pages of the thread and saw that you had posted about Chloe seeming thin and wobbly even back then. Must be the mackerel keeping her around.
Yeah, it's been happening for a while, but I think it's slowly getting worse. My wife said the other day that she got her back paw caught in her front and she didn't even know. I suspect she has no feeling in one of her back legs, though she continues to use it :(

I think it is the mackerel, too. Been spoiling her rotten for months thinking she'd go any day, and she still runs to the kitchen and devours it like a champ!

Do you know what's wrong with her? Being thin and wobbly reminds me of my cat who I had to put down a little over eight weeks ago. She had FIP, which is said to basically be a death sentence, but apparently there are experimental treatments involving immunosuppressants and antibiotics (I found out too late for my little girl, who was already in kidney failure by the time the vet identified the problem).
Honestly don't know. She's always been difficult to handle (either pick up or put in carrier) so only had blood work done a few years ago. Back then she had a highish blood calcium reading but given Chloe's still around, the vet thinks it was an anomaly.

She's been thin for seemingly years now and she's 16.5 years old, so I don't think it's worth trying to treat, sadly. I think even getting blood work again would be too stressful for the little princess, let alone any other treatments :(

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
It's sad to see continued documentation of a cats decline in health while the owner never takes her to the vet. It sounds like you love her, but still.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
It's sad to see continued documentation of a cats decline in health while the owner never takes her to the vet. It sounds like you love her, but still.

Shaneus has stated in the thread that he and his SO don't want to take her to the vet because they fear she's so weak that it could do her in; they have otherwise got their other cats to the vet regularly. It's fine to disagree with that decision, but the above is a long shot from a polite suggestion. I'm going to have to ask you for a bit of respect and empathy.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
What's the point of even posting this, to shame us into taking her? To make me feel even worse about the impending decision my wife and I will have to make about saying goodbye to her?

Chloe has never liked being handled/picked up, even when fully healthy by myself or my wife. She was nicknamed "Chloe the ferocious" when we had to take her to the emergency vet a few years back, has always howled when put in a carrier (even worse when she's at the vet) and even put up a fight against being looked at by the vet during a house visit *while she was sedated*.

I'm both heartbroken and angry that anyone in this thread would question the way either myself or my wife have ever treated our pets. If you question the decisions made leading up to this point and somehow think we've been neglecting our Chloe, then just mute me rather than post something like the above to make me feel like absolute shit (on top of a previously mentioned horrible week).

MrT

Oct 27, 2017
While there are many many posts where the answer really is "take them to the vet" (seriously, some of the groups I'm in on facebook are filled with "my cat/dog has <condition that needs vet treatment> but I don't have any money/can't get to the vet right now, what should I do?" and it's kinda infuriating because the answer is always go to the damn vet), this is clearly not one of those cases. Shaneus has explained in previous posts why they avoid vet visits, and I completely get it.

We avoid going to the vet with our oldest cat as much as possible because it stresses him out so much. He's had such a rough time from his previous owners and repeated vet visits while seriously unwell in the shelter that he cannot stand vet visits. He hyperventilates in the car on the way there, he hisses in the waiting room, and he lashes out the moment the carrier is opened. He needs to be sedated just for a simple checkup, for his vaccinations he needs to be handled with thick leather gauntlets and wrapped in a towel burrito style. We've tried home vet visits which are marginally better but still incredibly stressful. Don't get me wrong, he does go to the vet, but beyond his yearly vacs we make damn sure it's neccessary first.

So yeah, sometimes not going to the vet is the right thing.

Sorry for what you're going through Shaneus, it's one of the toughest decisions :(

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
What's the point of even posting this, to shame us into taking her? To make me feel even worse about the impending decision my wife and I will have to make about saying goodbye to her?

Chloe has never liked being handled/picked up, even when fully healthy by myself or my wife. She was nicknamed "Chloe the ferocious" when we had to take her to the emergency vet a few years back, has always howled when put in a carrier (even worse when she's at the vet) and even put up a fight against being looked at by the vet during a house visit *while she was sedated*.

I'm both heartbroken and angry that anyone in this thread would question the way either myself or my wife have ever treated our pets. If you question the decisions made leading up to this point and somehow think we've been neglecting our Chloe, then just mute me rather than post something like the above to make me feel like absolute shit (on top of a previously mentioned horrible week).
I also have a cat that is difficult to get to the Vet so I understand and hope she stays feeling good for now. Luckily ours has calmed down a bit so while it is stressful to get him in his carrier he is pretty calm at the vet now. I don't know if it will help you but at least in our area there is the option of a vet stopping by and getting some bloodwork from home. It's a bit more pricey but it really helped when he first got sick and didn't want anyone to pick him up or touch him. Also don't feel like shit you are clearly doing what you can and severe stress in an already ill cat can be the tipping point according to our vet.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Jensen's "birthday" (in truth the day we adopted him since we don't know his actual birthday) is coming up on Sunday and we're thinking of throwing a mini cat party, which is truth will likely be just some fancy wet food and maybe a new toy or cat tower.

Were it not for COVID-19 we're probably have some folks over, but y'know.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Well, it is a "cat toy" indeed, in that it's attached to a cat. :)

Jensen's "birthday" (in truth the day we adopted him since we don't know his actual birthday) is coming up on Sunday and we're thinking of throwing a mini cat party, which is truth will likely be just some fancy wet food and maybe a new toy or cat tower.

Give him a can like a round cake, with pieces of stick treats stuck on top like candles. :)

Sonicbug

Oct 26, 2017
The Void, MA

You could always get super fancy and make him cat sushi.

Sorry to hear about Chloe Shaneus. Cats tend to lose a lot of muscle mass at that age. As long as she still seems to enjoy eating and being out and around I would just enjoy the time you have with her. Cats tend to stop eating/drinking and hide when they're on their way out. She may also have arthritis... my cat was a little wobbly because of that. Continue to spoil that little old lady rotten.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
You could always get super fancy and make him cat sushi.

Sorry to hear about Chloe Shaneus. Cats tend to lose a lot of muscle mass at that age. As long as she still seems to enjoy eating and being out and around I would just enjoy the time you have with her. Cats tend to stop eating/drinking and hide when they're on their way out. She may also have arthritis... my cat was a little wobbly because of that. Continue to spoil that little old lady rotten.

Might cook him up a small piece of salmon if anything. Gave him a chunk of mine last night (After rinsing off the seasoning) and he gobbled it up. He's a little hit or miss on chicken breast, but it usually gets eaten in time.

Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
Tip and a question for you all today.

We got a new cat! Apollo, below, will join existing Orion and Stormy.

Tip: Buy floor pillows. The kind you buy for people to sit on to have more seating. We bought two and now the cats love them.

Question: Apollo was outdoors for a bit (he's 8 months old) before we got him, and was then indoors the last week or so. We took him to the vet and they tested for feline leukemia and he was negative, and he got all his other shots. The one vet we went to said that he probably should be separate for 3 MONTHS to then get a second negative Feline Leukemia test. Is this really a necessity? One negative test, the cat is super active and healthy so far, etc.

I did call our main vet to check into it as well, waiting for a call back.