• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I forgot I made an instagram page for my cat like 5 years ago. Guess that was cool back then lol. She's still with me, about 7 years old now. Not as active as before but still my best bud.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
on top of the gray cat, theres also now a black cat thats hanging out at work sometimes. i think this is the same black cat from months back, he might be back because of the one time i left food and water for it.

Oct 26, 2017
3 months is fine. And yes, give them both dry and wet food. I'm in favor of leaving dry food always available, although that will probably mean the mom will eat it as well (which isn't too big of an issue).
Can the mom cat get spayed after the kitten is 4-5 weeks old and on solid food?

I guess any kitten tips aside from when, in your opinion, is the best age to him to be neutered

also one of coworkers may adopt him since she had been looking to get a cat and I do trust her since she's friends with a former vet tech and another friend that catches stray cats, vaccinates and spays/neutered them and lets them be fostered/adopted out

hopefully she won't get a cat in 3 months that's not sunny boy/Ashby (names pending) lol

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

I guess any kitten tips aside from when, in your opinion, is the best age to him to be neutered

also one of coworkers may adopt him since she had been looking to get a cat and I do trust her since she's friends with a former vet tech and another friend that catches stray cats, vaccinates and spays/neutered them and lets them be fostered/adopted out

hopefully she won't get a cat in 3 months that's not sunny boy/Ashby (names pending) lol
Kitten can be neutered at 2-5 months, adopted out at 2-3 months, and you should do the FeLV/FIV test just before the 2 month mark and keep him separate from any other cats you have in the meantime, just in case. For the mom, are you doing spay and release? If so, ear-tipping is common to identify that the outdoor cat has been neutered so nobody else should attempt to trap it for that purpose.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Depends on how you're keeping the mom. I'd say waiting to spay the mom for a bit more after the kitten is weaned may be beneficial as she may be more likely to take care and socialize the kitten, but if you're not keeping her inside, it's probably best to spay her as soon as he's weaned to avoid further pregnancies.

Oct 26, 2017
Kitten can be neutered at 2-5 months, adopted out at 2-3 months, and you should do the FeLV/FIV test just before the 2 month mark and keep him separate from any other cats you have in the meantime, just in case. For the mom, are you doing spay and release? If so, ear-tipping is common to identify that the outdoor cat has been neutered so nobody else should attempt to trap it for that purpose.
we are keeping beck (mama cat) for the time being but Ashby/sunny boy will be adopted out when she/he's old enough.

unfortunately since beck was a stray, she is fiv positive so likely the baby has it too

Depends on how you're keeping the mom. I'd say waiting to spay the mom for a bit more after the kitten is weaned may be beneficial as she may be more likely to take care and socialize the kitten, but if you're not keeping her inside, it's probably best to spay her as soon as he's weaned to avoid further pregnancies.

Beck is indoor mostly except when my mom doesn't pay attention and lets her out by accident (how we got into this cat pregnancy)

I guess last question for now is how often should I feed beck since she is nursing but has a tendency to get gluttony belly (eats so fast the body cant even process it leading to constipation)

she eating a little slower now though

edit: my coworker is very interested in adopting Ashby/Sunny boy but wants to learn more about fiv cat care if the kitten turns out to be positive

Last edited:

Deleted member 15447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My little Grace is about to turn 2 years old. She is still tiny for a Siberian, but with lots of fluffy fur.

Screenshot-20200525-215031-1.png

IMG-20200529-175825-218.jpg

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
trying to find the collar in a building is like a needle in a haystack. RIP. i'll just give up unless he finds it himself.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
My 12 year old cat has been diagnosed with kidney disease and I wanted to see if anyone has dealt with it and has any good tips. We are currently giving him an IV twice a week and have our first follow-up next week to see if he has stabilized a bit.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Its warmer than usual here at work. fat cat looking like hes dead when hes sleeping stretched out on the ground. so i let them in the office to cool down. i also did put some ice in the water feeder to keep it cool for them.

hes weird sometimes too. he slept outside in the sun. but today shouldn't be that much different lol

Oct 28, 2017
Is it at all possible to get an older cat to grow to enjoy being picked up? I adopted an approximately 8 year old cat and she loves being around me but usually at a safe distance. She will lay on me when I'm laying on the couch or when I'm in bed at night. And when I work from home she's always sitting or laying down right next to my chair or my desk but the moment I go to try and pick her up she freaks out. She's been like this since the first day I got her so I usually avoid trying to pick her up (I certainly don't want to upset her) but sometimes I just wanna pick up and hug the little bugger ya know?

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
My 12 year old cat has been diagnosed with kidney disease and I wanted to see if anyone has dealt with it and has any good tips. We are currently giving him an IV twice a week and have our first follow-up next week to see if he has stabilized a bit.

My SO is not home right now so I can't ask her. Have you been following the tip in the OP about separating water and food? It's super important to prevent any kidney issues with cats, and doubly so to help with them.

Is it at all possible to get an older cat to grow to enjoy being picked up? I adopted an approximately 8 year old cat and she loves being around me but usually at a safe distance. She will lay on me when I'm laying on the couch or when I'm in bed at night. And when I work from home she's always sitting or laying down right next to my chair or my desk but the moment I go to try and pick her up she freaks out. She's been like this since the first day I got her so I usually avoid trying to pick her up (I certainly don't want to upset her) but sometimes I just wanna pick up and hug the little bugger ya know?

Depends on the cat, some are downright terrified of being picked up, but others can grow accustomed to it. Ratón, the cat in my avatar came home when he was four years old, and didn't like to be picked up, but over time grew to enjoy it and even straight up jump into our arms sometimes. Tigris on the other hand is always super stressed when we need to pick her up for any reason.

For those that can eventually get used to it, the key is to do it little by little (for example, give them some food, then gently lift them up a bit by their midsection, at the beginning without actually making them lose contact with the floor with their legs, and so on).

If / when you graduated to picking them up, you need to make sure they feel completely secure and in no danger of falling off. This is true when picking up any cat, but doubly so with those that are wary of it. Make sure their entire body is supported, especially their back. A bit counterintuitively, cats sometimes feel more secure when you're holding them tight; obviously not so much that you'll hurt them, but in a sort of hug that makes them feel completely secured and stabilized.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
My SO is not home right now so I can't ask her. Have you been following the tip in the OP about separating water and food? It's super important to prevent any kidney issues with cats, and doubly so to help with them.

We have been separating the food since he was diagnosed. The vet wanted us to keep an eye on how much he was eating since he had lost a lot of weight before we noticed he was having issues. We have put water in several places in our house so he can do wherever he wants without the others around. However he mostly prefers to drink out of the tap so he sticks to that or the water fountain we have for him. Our other cats prefer still water.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
We have been separating the food since he was diagnosed. The vet wanted us to keep an eye on how much he was eating since he had lost a lot of weight before we noticed he was having issues. We have put water in several places in our house so he can do wherever he wants without the others around. However he mostly prefers to drink out of the tap so he sticks to that or the water fountain we have for him. Our other cats prefer still water.

OK, as long as they're drinking enough water, that's perfect. It's the number one concern with kidney problems.

I'm guessing the vet gave you guidelines on food as well? Some foods are better than others, and in fact there are lines of food specifically for cats with kidney issues.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
OK, as long as they're drinking enough water, that's perfect. It's the number one concern with kidney problems.

I'm guessing the vet gave you guidelines on food as well? Some foods are better than others, and in fact there are lines of food specifically for cats with kidney issues.
He was skinny enough that the vet wanted us to feed him whatever he was willing to eat to see if we can get some weight back on first. She is going to give us some food options at the visit next week. But she did recommend wet food so we have been trying different varieties to see what he likes best.

AntoneM

Oct 25, 2017
Predicament. I have cat, but, he was my wife's before we met so I have only known an adult cat. Today a stray kitten started meowing in my yard. It looks to be alone, no other kittens, and has been around, off and on, all day. Don't know for sure if mama is nearby and I have no kitten food. Every time I go out to see it (since the first time) it disappears before I get there. What can I do at this point, if anything?

By kitten I mean no more than a pound and maybe 4 inches long, so maybe 2 weeks old, maybe more like 3 weeks?

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
Predicament. I have cat, but, he was my wife's before we met so I have only known an adult cat. Today a stray kitten started meowing in my yard. It looks to be alone, no other kittens, and has been around, off and on, all day. Don't know for sure if mama is nearby and I have no kitten food. Every time I go out to see it (since the first time) it disappears before I get there. What can I do at this point, if anything?

By kitten I mean no more than a pound and maybe 4 inches long, so maybe 2 weeks old?
That certainly sounds like the mama cat has abandoned the kitten for some reason. Maybe setup an animal trap? Hopefully someone in here has better advice than I can give.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Jensen's been hiding under our bed a lot recently after not doing so for practically the entire first 10 months we've had him. Sure he would go under there during thunder events and similar "scary" occurrences but these days I feel like I find him under there at least once daily. I wonder what could be triggering that.

Might have to try to build him a little cat condo again, he didn't seem particularly interested in them when we first adopted him.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
My wife requested I paint our cat as a French Girl. I did an oil painting and watercolor effect. The wink wasn't Photoshop!

saucy-beanie-oil-web.jpg

saucy-beanie-water-web.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
Bennedict (Benny) officially went to his new home for a trial run yesterday. If it all works out, he stays there. He's a feisty little shite, but I loved him.

Snapchat-1879862828.jpg

And our last picture of him yesterday while he was waiting to be picked up:

IMG-20200609-163435-01.jpg

Now for our next batch. My wife had a call yesterday about an outside momma cat that was hit by a car, leaving her 4 kittens without anyone to take care of them. Two of the four aren't doing great, so they're coming to us today so we can baby them and get them healthy. My wife says they are gunked up and have some upper respiratory issues, so it'll be medicine, bottles, and lots of snuggles.

My little Grace is about to turn 2 years old. She is still tiny for a Siberian, but with lots of fluffy fur.

IMG-20200529-175825-218.jpg
Long hair cats make me sneezy beyond belief, but that is one cute cat. Grace is a very fitting name.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Jensen's been hiding under our bed a lot recently after not doing so for practically the entire first 10 months we've had him. Sure he would go under there during thunder events and similar "scary" occurrences but these days I feel like I find him under there at least once daily. I wonder what could be triggering that.

Might have to try to build him a little cat condo again, he didn't seem particularly interested in them when we first adopted him.

You might want to tell your vet. Cats usually hide when they're not feeling too well.

My wife requested I paint our cat as a French Girl. I did an oil painting and watercolor effect. The wink wasn't Photoshop!

saucy-beanie-oil-web.jpg

saucy-beanie-water-web.jpg

I read that as you actually painting these and was like "wow", hahah. We also say "paint me like one of your French girls" when they lay sexily on their sides like that. :D

Now for our next batch. My wife had a call yesterday about an outside momma cat that was hit by a car, leaving her 4 kittens without anyone to take care of them. Two of the four aren't doing great, so they're coming to us today so we can baby them and get them healthy. My wife says they are gunked up and have some upper respiratory issues, so it'll be medicine, bottles, and lots of snuggles.

I keep saying this but you guys are awesome. <3

Oct 26, 2017
Potato quality picture! Their eyes are pretty rough. And they are quite sneezy. They're definitely gonna need some TLC. And names. I have no idea. I vetoed George and Fred from Harry Potter though.

0609201758.jpg

And before I could post previous picture, they passed out:

0609201805-2.jpg

I keep saying this but you guys are awesome. <3
I really appreciate it. I couldn't be doing this without my wife. She's definitely the glue that holds this operation together.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Potato quality picture! Their eyes are pretty rough. And they are quite sneezy. They're definitely gonna need some TLC. And names. I have no idea. I vetoed George and Fred from Harry Potter though.

0609201758.jpg

And before I could post previous picture, they passed out:

0609201805-2.jpg

Awwwwwwwww!

I really appreciate it. I couldn't be doing this without my wife. She's definitely the glue that holds this operation together.

I get what you mean, my SO is the one doing all the heavy lifting with rescues and adoptions. The vast majority of the people she knows that dedicate themselves to this are women too.

Gio

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manila
So my cats have just gotten spayed, and they're home again after spending the night at the vet's. I noticed that the bandage is already coming off on one of them. I'm not able to step out and buy new ones, but I saw some clips and some cats didn't seem to have bandages mere days after the surgery. Is this advisable? Also I'm having a very hard time putting the e-collars on them; can I skip doing that if it doesn't seem like they're messing with the stitches?

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
can't tell if that furry thing on the ground is a piece of a mouse or not. guess thats why theres food in the feeder still...

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
So my cats have just gotten spayed, and they're home again after spending the night at the vet's. I noticed that the bandage is already coming off on one of them. I'm not able to step out and buy new ones, but I saw some clips and some cats didn't seem to have bandages mere days after the surgery. Is this advisable? Also I'm having a very hard time putting the e-collars on them; can I skip doing that if it doesn't seem like they're messing with the stitches?
I assume it's OK because shelters and vets do spay-and-release for outdoor/ferals all the time. I had an outdoor cat spayed that I had essentially adopted, and they recommended release within hours. No bandages or collar obviously.

Gio

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manila
I assume it's OK because shelters and vets do spay-and-release for outdoor/ferals all the time. I had an outdoor cat spayed that I had essentially adopted, and they recommended release within hours. No bandages or collar obviously.
Ohh that's right. TNR is definitely a thing, and ferals get up to way more mischief than indoor cats. Thanks, that's quite reassuring.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

I actually don't know of any cat that had bandages on them after being spayed. The thing is that there's several ways to spay cats, some a lot more intrusive than other.
- The best way to do it is via laparoscopy, which only leaves a very small incision and minimal recovery.
- If your cat has a large incision, then it was done via traditional surgery, which will take more to heal, and you'll probably have to keep an eye on the wound so that it's not infected, etc. Even here, healing depends on whether the stitches are external, or reabsorbable internal stitches. If they have visible stitches, again this increases infection risk, etc. so you'll have to keep an eye on them. Even then, it's not typical to have them bandaged while they heal, so don't worry about that. As you say, if they're not messing with the stitches, you probably can get away without the Elizabethan collars.

Gio

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manila
I actually don't know of any cat that had bandages on them after being spayed. The thing is that there's several ways to spay cats, some a lot more intrusive than other.
- The best way to do it is via laparoscopy, which only leaves a very small incision and minimal recovery.
- If your cat has a large incision, then it was done via traditional surgery, which will take more to heal, and you'll probably have to keep an eye on the wound so that it's not infected, etc. Even here, healing depends on whether the stitches are external, or reabsorbable internal stitches. If they have visible stitches, again this increases infection risk, etc. so you'll have to keep an eye on them. Even then, it's not typical to have them bandaged while they heal, so don't worry about that. As you say, if they're not messing with the stitches, you probably can get away without the Elizabethan collars.
This was really enlightening info, thanks. My cats seem to have undergone traditional surgery from the look of it, since the incision seems big and the vet tasked me to apply antiseptic on it twice a day. Hope they don't start futzing with the stitches so they can continue having their precious freedom 😄

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
these cat getting so comfy at work. they just having unprotected sleep on their back

EDIT:

somehow they learned to sprawl and look cute when they want something lol.

Last edited:

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
So I have three cats. Sisko, Picard and Spock. All three are fixed and are indoor cats.

Sisko and Spock are pretty good kitties, with the exception of being a little skittish.

Picard however has become more and more of a problem child and I wanted to see if anyone hade ideas.

So the layout of our apartment there is a sliding glass door that leads to a balcony. It is in the living room.

Whenever we dinner, or watch a movie in the living room if he's awake he will come into the room and start scratching at the glass door on the balcony and the carpet in front . He has never been an indoor / outdoor cat. And he didn't do this for a while. Probably only the last year and a half.

There is virtually no way to stop him. As much as I hate to use a spray bottle when I have used it he just walks away and then back. Picking them up or nudging him along causes the same thing to happen.

Originally we thought this Behavior was due to the litter box being dirty so we would empty the litter box and he would seem to be happy with that. But now he'll do it no matter what you do. Literally the only thing that will stop him is if you pick him up put him on the bed and sit there with him until he lays down.

Anyone got any ideas of what it could be? For what I could do to help the situation?

Even giving him catnip doesn't keep him away for long anymore from any more. And I'm getting at my wit's end because it's stressing me out and it's making me think that I'm doing something wrong.

Sonicbug

Oct 26, 2017
The Void, MA
Anyone got any ideas of what it could be? For what I could do to help the situation?
Even giving him catnip doesn't keep him away for long anymore from any more. And I'm getting at my wit's end because it's stressing me out and it's making me think that I'm doing something wrong.

He's bored and wants attention, or to go hunting since cats are crepuscular. My cat used to only scratch inappropriate objects to get our attention. My best advice is before you settle in to watch a movie or something, play with him and wear him out. Then give him a treat and he'll likely go lie down and nap. Bonus points if you can get him to nap on you after during TV time.

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
He's bored and wants attention, or to go hunting since cats are crepuscular. My cat used to only scratch inappropriate objects to get our attention. My best advice is before you settle in to watch a movie or something, play with him and wear him out. Then give him a treat and he'll likely go lie down and nap. Bonus points if you can get him to nap on you after during TV time.

I had a feeling that's what it was it's just that it is suddenly been getting worse that surprises me.

I mean this is the cat that I can sing to him "Nap Buddy" while on the bed and he'll run from any room in the house and curle and fall the sleep on my hand.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I had a feeling that's what it was it's just that it is suddenly been getting worse that surprises me.

I mean this is the cat that I can sing to him "Nap Buddy" while on the bed and he'll run from any room in the house and curle and fall the sleep on my hand.

I wouldn't think of it as "getting worse". Cats are interest in what they see, it's natural for him to want to go out to the balcony and explore. Unfortunately they don't have a concept of plummeting to their doom.

I'm assuming your balcony is open and you don't have any interest (or the money) to have it enclosed?

deimosmasque

Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I wouldn't think of it as "getting worse". Cats are interest in what they see, it's natural for him to want to go out to the balcony and explore. Unfortunately they don't have a concept of plummeting to their doom.

I'm assuming your balcony is open and you don't have any interest (or the money) to have it enclosed?

Yeah we rent so I can't make it enclosed.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
My wife and I adopted this guy from our local animal shelter today. The name he had at the shelter was Balto, but after northexit gave me this suggestion, and talking it over with my wife, we decided to name him Kittle.

103735255-2595047634143584-4260541994390282152-o.jpg

103725060-2594958337485847-4281250535636798637-o.jpg

He was one of three that we were looking at, and we pretty much knew he was the one as soon as my wife held him (one was shy and didn't want to leave his bed and the other just didn't want to be held). He just melted into her arms and soaked up all the love. This cat is a serious cuddle bug. They told us at the shelter that it could take up to a week for him to get adjusted and jump into our laps, he did it within an hour of getting home. Once he got over the initial shock of being in a new place, all he's wanted to do is just cuddle with the two of us.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Yeah we rent so I can't make it enclosed.

Does the balcony door have curtains? Does he stop doing that if you close them?

My wife and I adopted this guy from our local animal shelter today. The name he had at the shelter was Balto, but after northexit gave me this suggestion, and talking it over with my wife, we decided to name him Kittle.

103735255-2595047634143584-4260541994390282152-o.jpg

103725060-2594958337485847-4281250535636798637-o.jpg

He was one of three that we were looking at, and we pretty much knew he was the one as soon as my wife held him (one was shy and didn't want to leave his bed and the other just didn't want to be held). He just melted into her arms and soaked up all the love. This cat is a serious cuddle bug. They told us at the shelter that it could take up to a week for him to get adjusted and jump into our laps, he did it within an hour of getting home. Once he got over the initial shock of being in a new place, all he's wanted to do is just cuddle with the two of us.

Aww, orange tabbies are so sweet. <3 Congratulations!