• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hanuli

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
While I understand how it sucks for you, frankly, more countries should enforce stronger policies forbidding adoptions under a certain age. We've even had crazy people asking to adopt newborns, separating them from their mother to bottle feeding them unnecesarily, and in a country like Spain where a lot of people, especially in villages, treat cats like vermin-hunting house appliances, it's not hard for them to get what they want. :/
Yeah I think so too. I already miss him, but I recognize that letting kittens stay with their moms longer leads to way less abandonment issues.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
him having a lazy sleep day today.

GgVhTlf.jpg

and i ooped while taking a picture

MZpRbH9.jpg

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Visited my kitten on saturday. He's coming home in april. Here kittens can't be adopted until they are 14 weeks old. I want to hold him already ;_;

He's a red ragdoll. His tail and ears are red, which I think is rare for a ragdoll?

egjCbt0.jpg
A flame point ragdoll. I am SO jealous of you! I think this is what you might have in store:
b0cba7157f9a5c89d6b19592dbc9a470.jpg

Gah.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
VERY late reply my apologies but I forgot to update about the vet visit a few weeks ago!

Things went well! She was surprisingly calm and relaxed in the vets office as she's usually afraid of strangers but even the vet said she wished all cats were this nice haha

The lump on her back was thankfully non cancerous, they scraped a little but of it off and tested it. I forget the name she described what it was (scientific name) but she said as long as it doesn't grow bigger it's harmless. This was my biggest worry so I was relieved.

They tested the sores on her belly/under arms and it came back negative for infection. The vet said it's probably due to her over grooming occasionally. They gave her ointment cream and a cone (she hated it 😅 ) but it definitely helped a lot and she was happy when it finally got taken off.

Lastly the throwing up she said it was probably due to her eating too fast so I got her a slow feeder bowl and so far after a week in a half there's been no issues with throw up.

Was a good and relieving physical!

Obligatory Cat Tax

IMG-4894.jpg

IMG-4898.jpg

IMG-4936.jpg

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Sheepinator

Thank you!

She was 14lb 2.5 oz when they weighed her so she's a bit overweight, another reason I got the slow feeder bowl to help her eat less to start to lose a little.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
guess they aren't into fake fish. maybe if it didn't smell like catnip xD

is there any scent thing i can use that can make them like it?

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
guess they aren't into fake fish. maybe if it didn't smell like catnip xD

is there any scent thing i can use that can make them like it?

I suspect the issue is that it's simply too big for them to play with. Cats tend to prefer small objects they can pat around and make a sound when rolling. They can't much interact with a fish that big. :)

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, male cats often grab females by the back of the neck as foreplay. They often do that even after being spayed (sometimes even to other males), which as you say can be from excess hormones, learned behaviour, instinct, etc. Unless the other cat is terribly pissed by it, it's mostly harmless. How long ago was he fixed?
Ryudo loves to do that with Shiro, who learned this behaviour and returns the favour.

This is how it's supposed to look. As I said my vet did the triangle clip, as seen on the right here.

18157683_10158439798595161_142518773539116114_n_edited-1.jpg

www.neighborhoodcats.org

Neighborhood Cats | How to TNR | Eartipping

An eartip is the universal sign of an altered feral cat. Here you’ll find why it's done, one veterinarian’s eartipping protocol, a demo video and a sample photo.
In Germany they do the triangke shaped one. Our spanish friend has that one too.

German (Shiro) right ear, Spanish (Ryudo) left ear
In the lower picture you can see the blood vessels very clearly. If anyone tries to explain me 1) its not painful and 2) not bleeding that person is a liar. There is a reason why, by law, you are not allowed to cut off ears in dogs. Why'd it be ok for cats?

I understand the argument of chopping off the ear, but I cant agree. I have had bleeding walls here, bruised ears and what not and never has gotten anyone out of it with an extra marking.

Yes, its easier to see. But for ffs it should be standard to neuter them, add a chip and then return them. If you are not certain look for an unregistered chip.

Visited my kitten on saturday. He's coming home in april. Here kittens can't be adopted until they are 14 weeks old. I want to hold him already ;_;

He's a red ragdoll. His tail and ears are red, which I think is rare for a ragdoll?

egjCbt0.jpg
Looks like a standard flame point to me. Is she from a breeder? What kind of pattern will it be? Colorpoint, mitted, bicolor...?

Are the parents tested for HCM? Do you have a paper for that?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Yes, its easier to see. But for ffs it should be standard to neuter them, add a chip and then return them. If you are not certain look for an unregistered chip.

While chopping off as much as the poor cat that started the discussion had seems barbaric to me, the point of the small cut (which is done under the same anesthesia used for spaying, and as you can see, if done correctly, shouldn't cut into the blood vessels), especially for cats under TNR, is that the cat is immediately visually identifiable as being spayed and no effort is wasted in trying to capture it again. To scan a feral cat for a chip you pretty much already need to have captured it, which at most saves you the trip to the vet.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
While chopping off as much as the poor cat that started the discussion had seems barbaric to me, the point of the small cut (which is done under the same anesthesia used for spaying, and as you can see, if done correctly, shouldn't cut into the blood vessels), especially for cats under TNR, is that the cat is immediately visually identifiable as being spayed and no effort is wasted in trying to capture it again. To scan a feral cat for a chip you pretty much already need to have captured it, which at most saves you the trip to the vet.
It can be pretty obvious with a decent v cut. Also in a feral cat that's ferocious you might have more problems to identify with clean cut...

Our cats were trapped at very young age, they out grow the cut eventually but as shelter cat it didnt need to be perm obvious.

it just seems strange to me to call it abusive for dogs, but cats are fine.

Hanuli

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
Looks like a standard flame point to me. Is she from a breeder? What kind of pattern will it be? Colorpoint, mitted, bicolor...?

Are the parents tested for HCM? Do you have a paper for that?

He is from a registered breeder. I wouldn't want to support Illegal kitten factories. I'm not so sure what all the pattern terms mean, but my breeder said he's a bicolor. Parents are tested and negative too. HCM used to be a big problem here so i don't think they even let individuals with that gene to reproduce anymore.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
He is from a registered breeder. I wouldn't want to support Illegal kitten factories. I'm not so sure what all the pattern terms mean, but my breeder said he's a bicolor. Parents are tested and negative too. HCM used to be a big problem here so i don't think they even let individuals with that gene to reproduce anymore.
They dont, but some "good breeders" skip it to save money. They are not certified then, however I'd always demand to see the medical papers because some breeders simply lie.

flame point means that nose or ears, legs and tail look like dipped in red or orange tint with a creme body.

Hanuli

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
They dont, but some "good breeders" skip it to save money. They are not certified then, however I'd always demand to see the medical papers because some breeders simply lie.

flame point means that nose or ears, legs and tail look like dipped in red or orange tint with a creme body.
What we have here in Finland is like a massive database of registered cats, where all certified breeders register their cats. It's managed by the Finnish Cat Association. In the database there are medical certifications and the family tree of every cat and 4 generations of their ancestors. While I haven't personally seen a physical paper of proof, I trust that database since the Finnish Cat Association is very trustworthy and quick to excommunicate any breeder that seems remotely shady in their practices.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Okay. so i got into work today and see them outside waiting by the door. there's an escape hole that they get out from because i waited to lock up to make sure they are inside.

but in other news.
just dropped the kids off to get neutered.

Oct 26, 2017
I hope our last 2 ferals are doing well. The folks who adopted messaged us the night they got home---since it was a 4 hour trip---and since then....nothing at all. We like to check in at least once to make sure the cats are doing well, and to reiterate that if the cats aren't fitting in, we'll gladly take them back and find them a good home. My wife and I are getting nervous that they took both cats, and immediately split them up/dumped one/whatever since we stated we were only adopting together.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
I hope our last 2 ferals are doing well. The folks who adopted messaged us the night they got home---since it was a 4 hour trip---and since then....nothing at all. We like to check in at least once to make sure the cats are doing well, and to reiterate that if the cats aren't fitting in, we'll gladly take them back and find them a good home. My wife and I are getting nervous that they took both cats, and immediately split them up/dumped one/whatever since we stated we were only adopting together.
I'd politely ask for a post adoption visit?

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
You can't put yourself through that. You've done the best you can, and it's out of your hands now. You can't expect people to check back in, so you just have to hope for the best. Do they have a social media page you can check on, to see if they are posting pics of their pets? If not, try not to worry, everything is probably fine. Lots of people don't return emails for whatever reason, I wouldn't read anything into it.

tata toothy

Dec 24, 2017
What's a good comprehensive list of questions to ask over the phone or email to shelters that don't really go into much detail in their descriptions on Petfinder? I've looking at Maine Coons in my state.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
My wife and I are getting nervous that they took both cats, and immediately split them up/dumped one/whatever since we stated we were only adopting together.

In our (pretty extensive!) experience, that never happens. People that go out of their way to adopt cats and pay for the expenses don't turn out to be abandoning assholes, or at least we've had zero cases of that. We've even had a few surreal cases of people that for some reason went completely dark and refused to send pictures even when prompted, but eventually we got someone else in the family to do so and they were fine (no, we don't get it either).

Have you actively asked them to send pictures or videos?

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
My wife requested I Photoshop our cat as a sailor, I obliged.

beanie.jpg

Bonus picture of her cuddling her favourite toys (Mr Mackerel) in her sleep.

IMG-20200305-113005304.jpg

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
What's a good comprehensive list of questions to ask over the phone or email to shelters that don't really go into much detail in their descriptions on Petfinder? I've looking at Maine Coons in my state.
What age are the cats? What kind of character do they have? How are they with other cats/dogs? Do they have "friends" in the shelter? Would it be possible to adopt two? When were they taken in? Where they fixed by the shelter/is it known at what age they were fixed? Are they fully vaccinated? (This is a rhetoric question, anything but yes with a full list is not acceptable.) Have they been outside? Are they inside or outside cats? Do you give away cats to homes that let them roam free? Is it possible to meet the cats?

Are they used to being alone? What kind of food do they eat? (Special diets? Allergies, missing teeth?) Are there known health problems you should know about? Fiv/Felv? Genetic disabilities etc. so that you can prepare for known financial challenges additional to the general costs. (I'd always emphasize that you are aware that a cat can develop these kind of things later in life too.)
What kind of litter are they used to? open or closed litter boxes.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
We've been taking care of a young cat for the winter. We live near a vet and decided to ask if they knew the cat had owners. Apparently it does. 😔 my wife talked with its owners who seem indifferent about the thing, but was hesitant to letting it go because the cat has a (even better behaved) sister. My wife exchanged numbers, but thinks we can work with them.

The kitty is so cute, and she's well behaved. We keep it inside for hours where it naps, gets lovings, and eats. Lately it's been even been spending the night. And yet, even though we dont have a litter box, it hasn't pooped or peed in our place. When it's in the mood to be petted, and it really starts purring, it starts drooling. So we call it Droolia.

I'm so grateful this kitty has spent the winter with us. Even if it does make us feel guilty for lavishing so much attention on it.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
We've been taking care of a young cat for the winter. We live near a vet and decided to ask if they knew the cat had owners. Apparently it does. 😔 my wife talked with its owners who seem indifferent about the thing, but was hesitant to letting it go because the cat has a (even better behaved) sister. My wife exchanged numbers, but thinks we can work with them.

The kitty is so cute, and she's well behaved. We keep it inside for hours where it naps, gets lovings, and eats. Lately it's been even been spending the night. And yet, even though we dont have a litter box, it hasn't pooped or peed in our place. When it's in the mood to be petted, and it really starts purring, it starts drooling. So we call it Droolia.

I'm so grateful this kitty has spent the winter with us. Even if it does make us feel guilty for lavishing so much attention on it.

If the owners are indifferent, can you talk to them about keeping Droolia? If the issue is separating it from his (her?) sister, can you adopt both? If they don't much care, they may not have much issue in letting you keep them, especially if you offer to pay for their past vet bills.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
If the owners are indifferent, can you talk to them about keeping Droolia? If the issue is separating it from his (her?) sister, can you adopt both? If they don't much care, they may not have much issue in letting you keep them, especially if you offer to pay for their past vet bills.
We would absolutely love to take it in. I don't think we could take both. But I don't think this cat really cares much about her sister. They have a hard time keeping it inside. It seems chaotic over there, and this cat seems super happy being mostly left alone. It's just a matter of convincing them. They mentioned to my wife that they could be looking for a new place, due to the building being sold. They weren't sure if they could bring pets to the new place. And speaking of being allowed, we would also have to talk to our landlord, who seems pretty down on cats...but we'll burn that bridge later.

We do worry about the thing though. There's no collar, they leave it out all night in the cold and weather, it's not spayed, there are feral cats and other critters.

We're working on it though.
xu4eqlbtmyl2kyq1djjc.jpg

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Post balls chopped.

Vet said they were good boys During their visit. I half expected them to Scratch them if they can catch them.

They are sleeping now

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
We would absolutely love to take it in. I don't think we could take both. But I don't think this cat really cares much about her sister. They have a hard time keeping it inside. It seems chaotic over there, and this cat seems super happy being mostly left alone. It's just a matter of convincing them. They mentioned to my wife that they could be looking for a new place, due to the building being sold. They weren't sure if they could bring pets to the new place. And speaking of being allowed, we would also have to talk to our landlord, who seems pretty down on cats...but we'll burn that bridge later.

We do worry about the thing though. There's no collar, they leave it out all night in the cold and weather, it's not spayed, there are feral cats and other critters.

We're working on it though.
xu4eqlbtmyl2kyq1djjc.jpg

There's really not much difference between taking in one cat or taking two, and (as you've probably read enough by now :D) it's best to have two. How can you say no to that face? :)

Kompis

Oct 27, 2017
Adopting a Devon Rex kitten next weekend, i'm super excited! :3
Here are couple of photos of the little guy.

foto2020-03-0915014026kff.jpg

foto2020-03-10204504bskmc.jpg

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Gizmo kaka!

He must get a ton of channels with those satellite dishes on his head.

Cute cat. Good for allergies?

As far as I know, sphynx cats are not hypoalergenic; the protein that causes allergies is in their saliva, not their hair, and they still groom themselves. I'm not sure if devon rex cats are the same or not.

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Gizmo kaka!

As far as I know, sphynx cats are not hypoalergenic; the protein that causes allergies is in their saliva, not their hair, and they still groom themselves. I'm not sure if devon rex cats are the same or not.
Yeah, I had looked into a sphynx when I was entertaining the idea of a second cat. That's when I first learned of the saliva issue. A quick Google search tells me devon rex are not hypoallergenic, but they are incredibly adorable. I want to pet one now.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
So its day 1 after the surgery. they both are still feel drugged up. big boy is a bit sensitivity. he knows his balls are gone. the other one is like his usual self. minus the running around.

gonna have to stop by the store and get some wet food for them though.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
Well, after 3 weeks I took Darien back to the vet Monday and they were able to get an EKG and more Xrays. The EKG was sent out to a cardiologist vet that my vet works with to make a report on, so I spoke to my vet yesterday afternoon.

He now has a heart arrhythmia, it is very slight and not bad enough to be treated. He also had more fluid in his lung so they upped his Lasix to 3 pills per day. The fluid is on one side of his lungs so both vets are still leaning towards cancer. My vet wants to do an ultrasound and get blood work but he does not make it easy so they are going to wait a few weeks with the increased Lasix and hope that stabilizes him more to be able to give him more sedation. They are worried that if they fully sedate him right now he would not wake up.

I am devastated. My husband and I have had him basically since we moved out together. We moved out in September 2005, got his mother in October and he was born October 27th. He is my shadow, always around me, getting into things. I can't imagine life without him.

VTwMfPn.jpg

Last edited:

Dogzillaboot

Nov 12, 2017
Sacramento, California
Hey Era! Is there a general rule about promoting an adoptable cat in this thread? I recovered an abandoned little kitty some dickhead left behind in my apartment complex this week. The poor thing was alone for at least 3 weeks and was starving when I found her. We are getting her fixed and de-wormed this weekend as well. She's as happy as she can be but I know me and my boyfriend can't keep her since our other cat doesn't get along with her at all and we aren't in the best financial position.

I've contacted a local cat care center here in the East Bay in California (Concord to be exact) and they are going to help me adopt her out as well but wanted to see if there are any cat lovers on here that may like a little sweet bean. If there is a rule against it, just appreciate this lil queen.

Also, do you guys have any tips on how to get the spray smell out of fabric? The little sweetie has been marking the bedroom like crazy and even sprays my boyfriend lol.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Well, after 3 weeks I took Darien back to the vet Monday and they were able to get an EKG and more Xrays. The EKG was sent out to a cardiologist vet that my vet works with to make a report on, so I spoke to my vet yesterday afternoon.

He now has a heart arrhythmia, it is very slight and not bad enough to be treated. He also had more fluid in his lung so they upped his Lasix to 3 pills per day. The fluid is on one side of his lungs so both vets are still leaning towards cancer. My vet wants to do an ultrasound and get blood work but he does not make it easy so they are going to wait a few weeks with the increased Lasix and hope that stabilizes him more to be able to give him more sedation. They are worried that if they fully sedate him right now he would not wake up.

I am devastated. My husband and I have had him basically since we moved out together. We moved out in September 2005, got his mother in October and he was born October 27th. He is my shadow, always around me, getting into things. I can't imagine life without him.

VTwMfPn.jpg

I'm very sorry to hear that. :( I'll be rooting for you and Darien, keep us informed.

Hey Era! Is there a general rule about promoting an adoptable cat in this thread? I recovered an abandoned little kitty some dickhead left behind in my apartment complex this week. The poor thing was alone for at least 3 weeks and was starving when I found her. We are getting her fixed and de-wormed this weekend as well. She's as happy as she can be but I know me and my boyfriend can't keep her since our other cat doesn't get along with her at all and we aren't in the best financial position.

I've contacted a local cat care center here in the East Bay in California (Concord to be exact) and they are going to help me adopt her out as well but wanted to see if there are any cat lovers on here that may like a little sweet bean. If there is a rule against it, just appreciate this lil queen.

Also, do you guys have any tips on how to get the spray smell out of fabric? The little sweetie has been marking the bedroom like crazy and even sprays my boyfriend lol.

There was no rule on promoting adoptions but I'll make one right now: it's perfectly OK. :) That said, you're probably going to get better results on specialized pages on your area. I'd look for Facebook pages that dedicate themselves to signal-boosting cat adoptions in your area or closest big city, like my SO does for Madrid.

As for the pee, I unfortunately have no magic tips. We just wash the stuff and if that's not enough, use generic smell removing products.

Kompis

Oct 27, 2017
He must get a ton of channels with those satellite dishes on his head.

Cute cat. Good for allergies?
Gizmo kaka!

Thanks.

It's pretty much the same as the Sphynx I think!
All though some people claim that short haired cats like Devon/Cornish Rex or Spynxh gives them much less of an allergic reaction, or non at all. You still should not buy a cat like this thinking it's allergy free, because it's for sure no guarantee. If you are allergic to cats and interested in this type of cat you should probably arrange a meeting with a breeder and see for yourself before you make a decision.

For me personally I did not decide on the Devon because of allergies, as i'm not allergic to cats myself.
It was more a choise of personality and the minimum ammount of hair shedding (shedding is far the worst part of owning a cat imho!).
Last but not least I adore the look of these cats! :3

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Had to take the little man to the vet the other day, caught a nasty looking scratch on his face. Vet said it was only a surface wound, so thankfully will heal by itself.
PaZZ2W7m.jpg

Yay! Still don't know what caused it though.

We also found out that technically he wasn't registered under our name, and when filling out the forms we noticed that as a stray he was caught literally on exactly the same day we lost Spooky. It was fate <3

Yv0JdV1l.jpg
LR7nrhvl.jpg

They would've been such great siblings too :'(

So its day 1 after the surgery. they both are still feel drugged up. big boy is a bit sensitivity. he knows his balls are gone. the other one is like his usual self. minus the running around.

gonna have to stop by the store and get some wet food for them though.

Are they older cats? I know we have a 2-3yo and because he was fixed late he still technically has his balls, but it's basically just a flap of skin. No shrinkage there.

VTwMfPn.jpg
Oh no, what a beautiful boy. Will be thinking of both Darien and yourselves, it's not an enviable time :( 14 years is a good stretch though, and I'm sure he's felt loved for every single one of them <3

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Had to take the little man to the vet the other day, caught a nasty looking scratch on his face. Vet said it was only a surface wound, so thankfully will heal by itself.
PaZZ2W7m.jpg

Yay! Still don't know what caused it though.

We also found out that technically he wasn't registered under our name, and when filling out the forms we noticed that as a stray he was caught literally on exactly the same day we lost Spooky. It was fate <3

Yv0JdV1l.jpg
LR7nrhvl.jpg

They would've been such great siblings too :'(

Are they older cats? I know we have a 2-3yo and because he was fixed late he still technically has his balls, but it's basically just a flap of skin. No shrinkage there.

Oh no, what a beautiful boy. Will be thinking of both Darien and yourselves, it's not an enviable time :( 14 years is a good stretch though, and I'm sure he's felt loved for every single one of them <3

I always find that "beard" / racoon / red panda neck marking on Taika fascinating to look at. I don't think I've ever seen a cat with a marking like that, and believe me, I've seen a lot of them. :D

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017

to my surprise they actually both have nubs there after the surgery. also im wondering how they figured the age. i left that spot blank because i didn't really know how old they were when they came to me around october. but then again idk if thats cat years or human or what lol . i should have asked.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I always find that "beard" / racoon / red panda neck marking on Taika fascinating to look at. I don't think I've ever seen a cat with a marking like that, and believe me, I've seen a lot of them. :D
I've never really seen it either, but I've not seen anywhere near as many as you ;)

My wife remarked how there's no way when he was caught, that he was at all stray or feral. He took to litter right away and the way we've been able to pick him up and hold/carry him I think indicates he was 100% domesticated.

Another reason why I prefer to keep cats indoors!

Here's a couple more that show off his chin. Reminds us where to scratch him if we forget.

np4gZIcl.jpg

VmGPdDml.jpg

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Day 2. they are up and about. they are also eating so that's good. their stitching looks fine. no signs of any issue as far as i can see.

PhQhBWW.jpg

from yesterday.

both are napping since they can't go out today.

Oct 29, 2017
Hello, I have a 4 year old orange tabby from the rescue. He passed all his vet testing 2 years ago when shelter took him in. Went to vet for a yeast infection that was in his ear and causing his eye to water.
Anyways he seems healthy but it seems like he eats too quick sometimes and lets out all the kibbles he's scarfed down. It's not a throw up. Is this normal? I'm thinking he may like wet food if I slowly transition.