• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I need advice on having a third party babysit my cat for an extended period of time. I want to ship my cat to America and have a friend look after her for a few months. How do I get her adapted to a new, temporary owner? She's also an outside cat, so we'd need her to get used to a new owner without running away.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Pill pockets are helpful, but there are many pills you simply cant mask (the big pill I gave my dog for example).

That's why I always recommend to work with the treat, treat, pincher, treat methode, which cant be chewed around. Later in combination with tricks.

Eventually you will end up with a cat like shiro who will eat the pill pure because he knows else no treat. (He's been on meds for a year.)

It is important to remove stains and smell with pet smell remover.

Cats do not mark with poo. They piss, they rub, etc. but no poo.

I'd take her to the vet, especially if she still has breathing problems. She's still fighting something, and it shows. That's a huge red warning sign.
She's not going to the vet, never liked being picked up at all and the stress would likely put her over the edge. She's 16 years old, we're not going to push her when she's ready to go and right now she's feisty/stubborn enough to keep going.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
She's not going to the vet, never liked being picked up at all and the stress would likely put her over the edge. She's 16 years old, we're not going to push her when she's ready to go and right now she's feisty/stubborn enough to keep going.
Request the vet to visit you then.

Its not about extending her life, it might be also about easing her suffering.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
I need advice on having a third party babysit my cat for an extended period of time. I want to ship my cat to America and have a friend look after her for a few months. How do I get her adapted to a new, temporary owner? She's also an outside cat, so we'd need her to get used to a new owner without running away.
Keep the cat inside. Anything <3 month is not long enough.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

The obvious reply is absolutely do not let your friend let her go outside. Like, don't even think about it.

Edit: Beaten by Rory, but, yeah, that.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017

when you move house you can't let an outside cat out for a month or two. They need to get used to it being "home" otherwise they'll just leave and try to find the previous home.

so I would say don't let them let her out for at least 4-6 weeks but ideally not at all

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I'd agree if it's for a few months then keep it inside. New owner, new location, if it gets out then it's gone. You said "ship it to", implying to and from another country. You're probably going to need documentation to avoid quarantine issues, including vet issued health certificate, proof of rabies vaccination, maybe more. Also each country may have its own rules for that.

Last edited:

Housecat

Oct 25, 2017
It's lacking ghost pattern thoughts! Lovely trip through genetics.
Well there's this bigger version covering more patterns and colors, also smoke patterns! (might have been posted in this thread before?)
1c7b39084d8652c8597a7b459d8359f5.jpg

(link to picture if you wanna open in a new tab)

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Well there's this bigger version covering more patterns and colors, also smoke patterns! (might have been posted in this thread before?)
1c7b39084d8652c8597a7b459d8359f5.jpg

(link to picture if you wanna open in a new tab)

This is fantastic, thank you for sharing!

The elder cat needs thorough dental cleaning and vet is charging $1000.
Ripoff?

Mother of... Our absolutely fantastic vet charges €80-€100 (including sedation). Granted, we live in Spain and I know US vet prices are crazy, but still...

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Mother of... Our absolutely fantastic vet charges €80-€100 (including sedation). Granted, we live in Spain and I know US vet prices are crazy, but still...
I've had my cat go under for dental surgery (US) and it cost far far less than that. That bill makes no sense to me.
The bill's like this:
gmwv6PS.png

There was also one UTI emergency two years ago cost me $600 in the same clinic. Now I am thinking if it's time to switch to a different place.

Last edited:

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Request the vet to visit you then.

Its not about extending her life, it might be also about easing her suffering.
Yeah, that's what we'll be doing. Wife just has to muster up the courage to do it, because she's primarily her cat and she has to be comfortable with having the conversation. She's still hissing and growling at the other cat through doors and such though, so she still has plenty of energy... is just frail and old :(

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
We just got two cats from someone who had taken them from their friend who's grandmother had passed (they were the grandmother's cats).

The male has opened up quite quickly and has become my little buddy, doing all of the things my old Russian Blue I named Bagheera did (but hasn't laid on my chest or at my head yet).

Problem is the female is very skiddish and hides... really well. And when I'm petting her in her hiding spots, she leans in for the pets but starts shaking at the sound of my voice (I have a deeper voice but was speaking to her in a higher pitch) or when my kids are banging around in another room. Not sure if it's a noise thing or a kid thing but last night she finally came out and up to my wife on the couch so she is sociable... just not when everyone is awake.

Anyone know the best way to handle this? Will she warm up to the clatter of kids? They're not that old but they're not kittens either.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
When we adopted our cat he hid for days and finally came out, but was terrified of the kids. Eventually he got used to the sound, smell of everyone and he's fine now. But if a friend or someone he's not used to comes over he shakes and hides. This is how he's always going to be and all we can do is support him and make things as comfortable as possible. He's a sweetheart and when he gets scared he never ever lashes out.

In fact when we adopted him we went to the adoption facility specifically to see him, and thankfully so because we would've never seen him because he hid in a corner shaking. I cant imagine how he was on a daily basis with people coming in and out of that room. Poor thing.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
When we adopted our cat he hid for days and finally came out, but was terrified of the kids. Eventually he got used to the sound, smell of everyone and he's fine now. But if a friend or someone he's not used to comes over he shakes and hides. This is how he's always going to be and all we can do is support him and make things as comfortable as possible. He's a sweetheart and when he gets scared he never ever lashes out.

In fact when we adopted him we went to the adoption facility specifically to see him, and thankfully so because we would've never seen him because he hid in a corner shaking. I cant imagine how he was on a daily basis with people coming in and out of that room. Poor thing.
Have you considered trying Feliway? Maybe not situation-specific but just in general, but we've found it has somewhat of a calming effect on kitties. Doesn't seem to work for all though, but it's worth a shot.

Oct 26, 2017

That all sounds very similar to my cat. She was hiding in the corner of her cage under a towel when I went to the SPCA.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
My cat is sick and it's late (11:30 PM) :(

She repeatedly vomited "nothing" (like there are no food residues, it's just liquid), and is lying down in a dark corner and growls and doesn't want to see us. Clearly she has some sort of infection :(
Worth using emergency services (it's really damn far) or should I wait for the morning for our local clinic?

She's like 13 years old, not that young.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Oh no, that doesn't sound great. Maybe ate something she shouldn't have :( Thinking of your girl :(

And I think there's nothing wrong in using emergency services if you think it's worth it. I wouldn't hesitate myself, but only you know what to do. Best of luck.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's what we'll be doing. Wife just has to muster up the courage to do it, because she's primarily her cat and she has to be comfortable with having the conversation. She's still hissing and growling at the other cat through doors and such though, so she still has plenty of energy... is just frail and old :(
It's not necessarily an end. Just keep in mind this might happen.

The question is how much quality of life has your cat remaining? Clearly, the red flags show that the health is truly down under, pain and discomfort must be high, as cats wouldn't show any signs else way.
Hissing at the other cat, pain/discomfort, etc. does the cat still experience positive moments during the day?

Maybe its treatable with some meds, maybe you have to put him down. Your vet will tell you. Bit you should contact him sooner or later.
Maybe the call is a bit difficult for your wife, you should do it. And when the docsays the cat needs to be put down that's for your wife to decide.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
My cat is sick and it's late (11:30 PM) :(

She repeatedly vomited "nothing" (like there are no food residues, it's just liquid), and is lying down in a dark corner and growls and doesn't want to see us. Clearly she has some sort of infection :(
Worth using emergency services (it's really damn far) or should I wait for the morning for our local clinic?

She's like 13 years old, not that young.
YES! Asap!

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Yeah we went there cause her breathing got worse too. Waiting for x rays now but it's not looking good 😭

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
They sent us home for now but it's not looking good. She's basically in shock and on life support right now. No diagnosis as to why (neither X rays nor blood tests found anything), they think it might be neurological, or a stroke or something.
They're doing what they can for now, with an update in a few hours to see if something improves and/or if they figure out what the hell happened to her.

I am not ready to say goodbye...

MrT

Oct 27, 2017
They sent us home for now but it's not looking good. She's basically in shock and on life support right now. No diagnosis as to why (neither X rays nor blood tests found anything), they think it might be neurological, or a stroke or something.
They're doing what they can for now, with an update in a few hours to see if something improves and/or if they figure out what the hell happened to her.

Oh no, sorry to hear that. I really hope they figure out what's wrong and she pulls through

Phoenix944

Oct 28, 2017
One of my cat is approching 19 yo. He lost a lot of weight these past couple of years but he seems to be always asking for food. I don't know if it's because he forgets he ate or if he's really hungry.
Even when food in front of him, we always have to put his face near it or he won't see/smell it's here.

I wonder how much time he has left, it's really sad when I think about it but it's even more sad to see how he lives now. He just sleeps all day and goes out just to shit (he pees inside for some reasons x) ).

Any of you got some old kitty? How do you deal with them? I'd take any tips to makes his life easier.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Oh no! I'm very sorry. I hope she recovers fully, 13 is not that old. Please keep us informed, I'll be cheering for you!

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017

I am so sorry and I know how you feel as I am going through the same thing with my Darien.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
My Darien seems to be almost back to his old self today after the vet and sedation on Tuesday. He has been eating good, brought me two of his favorite catnip balls (he carries them around the house and loves to drop them at out feet) and sat on the back of my computer chair for a while. His breathing seem a little improved, still fast but not as hard. I had to give him his Lasix pill disguised in cheese this morning because he was having none of my husband and I putting his pill in his mouth, good thing he loves cheese.

I spoke to his vet yesterday and we are going watch him for the weekend, count his breathing a few times a day and then go to for blood work next week.

I spent most of yesterday checking on him over and over and crying on and off. I am not ready to say goodbye but then again I never will be. If it is cancer, I will do whatever I can for him and just enjoy every day I have left with him. I have had him since his birth and losing him is going to hit me and my husband really hard but we will not allow him to suffer.

Last edited:

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
One of my cat is approching 19 yo. He lost a lot of weight these past couple of years but he seems to be always asking for food. I don't know if it's because he forgets he ate or if he's really hungry.
Even when food in front of him, we always have to put his face near it or he won't see/smell it's here.

I wonder how much time he has left, it's really sad when I think about it but it's even more sad to see how he lives now. He just sleeps all day and goes out just to shit (he pees inside for some reasons x) ).

Any of you got some old kitty? How do you deal with them? I'd take any tips to makes his life easier.
I'm not sure what to say other than enjoy every day you have. Loss of appetite is certainly a big concern though. Have you tried different foods? Adding more wet food especially, and packets of broth, which will have more smell and be easier to lap up some of it. Your vet may be able to provide something to help with appetite too.

My oldest is we assume over 18 now, and is on a couple of life saving medications daily, and now a third with antiobiotics to successfully fight off her second kidney infection. Our vet is pleasantly surprised she's still doing quite well, though constantly reminds us she's on borrowed time. Despite all best efforts, her weight has been trending down for a couple of years. She still clambers through the stair banisters onto the armchair and up it to reach the kitchen island where we used to give her treats once a day and now it's more often than that, but that's fine. We got little steps for by the bed and another favorite chair so she can reach them since she hasn't been able to jump that high for a while.

I'm being realistic that with her weight trend she may only have a few months or less. My wife is publicly at least in denial about that. It's going to be devastating for her especially. We've had her since we got her from the shelter when they estimated she was 2-3 years old. We actually chose her because she chose me. As we were walking past the cages she put her paw out and grabbed my shoulder. I said that's it, we're done here, she's coming home with us.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Now I'm sad. Sorry for your loss.
Cats and dogs don't live long enough. Why can't they be like a tortoise?

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Thank you all. It's quite a shock.

One of the last pics I took, just a few days ago (I was sick with the flu all week and she'd jump on me to snuggle every day <3):

20200210_143106.jpg

I am heartbroken and numb right now. RIP poor little Arya, gone way too soon. 😭

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
The bill's like this:
gmwv6PS.png

There was also one UTI emergency two years ago cost me $600 in the same clinic. Now I am thinking if it's time to switch to a different place.
I dont think its that unrealistic. It always depends on what they do.

anaesthesia should be around 40-60 euro, but im not cert

Manuel cleaning? 25-40
Ultra sonic? 44-145 Euro
Do they scale and polish? 154-230 Euro.

As it reads they removed 3 teeth, which itself is pretty expensive. Additional 20-80 Euro per tooth.

Nail trimming 13-20 euro.

Ear cleaning (why'd they clean ears? 20-40 Euro).

What meds did you take home?

The health exam would be an additional appointment too.

650 Euro is an okay price, 704 dollars. But you gotta consider that medical care is generally more expensive in america than europe

As reference:

it's always the middle, the left one is for animal protection programs only, and not every applies. More often than not the right one applies. Every emergency comes with an additional 50 bucks.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so so sorry Morrigan for your loss :( -hugs-

---------------------------------------------

Just to disclaimer at the start I have a vet appointment scheduled Monday for her/it to get checked out but in the current time I was wondering if anyone had any idea what this pink, hard lump on my cats back could be? I found it the other day while petting her while she was laying on my chest and I've been worried. Was hard to get good pictures of it so I tried my best.

IMG-4622.jpg

IMG-4620.jpg

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Super sad.
I'm so so sorry Morrigan for your loss :( -hugs-

---------------------------------------------

Just to disclaimer at the start I have a vet appointment scheduled Monday for her/it to get checked out but in the current time I was wondering if anyone had any idea what this pink, hard lump on my cats back could be? I found it the other day while petting her while she was laying on my chest and I've been worried. Was hard to get good pictures of it so I tried my best.

IMG-4622.jpg

IMG-4620.jpg
No input on the pink thing because I have no idea (glad you already have a vet visit planned), but I see your kitty has a fair amount of dander. Our older cat had dander issues as well that used to be murder on my sinuses. We managed to get it under control by introducing wet food into his diet. He gets dry food in the morning and wet food for dinner. After a few weeks, his dander was gone. If you haven't tried wet food already, it might be worth looking into.

Hopefully someone else has some insight on the lump. Keep us posted once you go to the vet.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Super sad.

No input on the pink thing because I have no idea (glad you already have a vet visit planned), but I see your kitty has a fair amount of dander. Our older cat had dander issues as well that used to be murder on my sinuses. We managed to get it under control by introducing wet food into his diet. He gets dry food in the morning and wet food for dinner. After a few weeks, his dander was gone. If you haven't tried wet food already, it might be worth looking into.

Hopefully someone else has some insight on the lump. Keep us posted once you go to the vet.
Thanks for the reply! I wasn't quite sure what that was on her due but have been doing regular brushing. I found these on amazon and seeing the good reviews i ordered some as they had a 40% off coupon.

I could try some wet food but I know she's quite a bit overweight and getting up there in age (will be 13 next month) and I wasn't sure if wet food would be ideal as I hear it tends to be more calorie dense.

Will update on the pink lump situation Monday after the vet!

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I could try some wet food but I know she's quite a bit overweight and getting up there in age (will be 13 next month) and I wasn't sure if wet food would be ideal as I hear it tends to be more calorie dense.
You have it the wrong way round. The dry food only diet is probably causing her obesity.

Last edited:

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
I dont think its that unrealistic. It always depends on what they do.

anaesthesia should be around 40-60 euro, but im not cert

Manuel cleaning? 25-40
Ultra sonic? 44-145 Euro
Do they scale and polish? 154-230 Euro.

As it reads they removed 3 teeth, which itself is pretty expensive. Additional 20-80 Euro per tooth.

Nail trimming 13-20 euro.

Ear cleaning (why'd they clean ears? 20-40 Euro).

What meds did you take home?

The health exam would be an additional appointment too.

650 Euro is an okay price, 704 dollars. But you gotta consider that medical care is generally more expensive in america than europe

As reference:

it's always the middle, the left one is for animal protection programs only, and not every applies. More often than not the right one applies. Every emergency comes with an additional 50 bucks.
Thanks for the reply.
I'll ask around this weekend.

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Thanks for the reply! I wasn't quite sure what that was on her due but have been doing regular brushing. I found these on amazon and seeing the good reviews i ordered some as they had a 40% off coupon.

Will update on the pink lump situation Monday after the vet!
Wet food is a great to get you cat some extra hydration. As Sheepinator pointed out, it is less calorie dense than dry food. Our cat is also 13, and he has actually lost weight since we changed his diet to dry in the morning and wet in the evening. Vet said he was never obese, but he's less chunky now.

I really can't recommend a blended diet enough. It did wonders for Mercutio's coat.