• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Okay Era. Turns out I'm an idiot. My cat has a tapeworm not ringworm.

My partner just corrected me.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
IMG_20191111_162059.jpg

IMG_20191111_162057.jpg

Look at this guy. He is making me crazy. That thing he's sitting on is a cave. Like, to go in. He insists on sitting on it. I stretch it back into it's normal shape every time. He sits on it anyways. Not once have I seen him in it. sigh (I'm not actually mad)

At least the other one ignores it completely. Random photo:
20191123_215640.jpg

Quite a bit bigger than the last time I posted here :)

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Could use a little guidance here Cat-Era.

Maybe some of you remember I posted this thread back in October:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/i-found-a-cat-and-now-im-kind-of-upset.146117/page-2

Anyway, she's been living with us now for over two months and is great. Just a super affectionate, cuddly, playful little creature. Way more dog like than I would have ever thought. Comes and greets me at the door every time I get home. Then comes and sits on my lap for a bit, then the begging for food starts, but it's not constant and we're trying to keep her well fed and looked after.

So, after about a month we took her to the vet to get checked up, they were able to contact the shelter that she was adopted from and change her microchip over to our name. So Mei, (the name we settled on) is with us now forever. We found out she is 18 months old and in very good health.

Basically, we're considering getting another cat. I'm reading so many conflicting things. I get the whole "introducing a new cat" thing being a pretty lengthy process, but we figure now might be the time since we both have time off over the holidays that we could spend at home slowly moving blankets and food bowls around to get them used to each other while keeping them isolated. But I keep worrying, are we doing the right thing by doing this? There are sooo many cats/kittens in shelters around here right now and we'd know we feel that we could definitely look after one more, but what if we're just making life worse for Mei by doing this? My understanding is we would definitely want to go with a male cat if we were to do this, and I think probably the younger the better. Do you think Mei is already going to be super territorial after 2 months here? Is this going to be something where we are ruining our nice peaceful existence with our cat?

Any advice or input from those of you who have been down this road would be very helpful.

Thanks!

EDIT: Maybe not right to post here without a couple new pics:

pADc7DD.jpg
XPCJoYx.jpg

Last edited:

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

https://www.resetera.com/threads/i-found-a-cat-and-now-im-kind-of-upset.146117/page-2

Anyway, she's been living with us now for over two months and is great. Just a super affectionate, cuddly, playful little creature. Way more dog like than I would have ever thought. Comes and greets me at the door every time I get home. Then comes and sits on my lap for a bit, then the begging for food starts, but it's not constant and we're trying to keep her well fed and looked after.

So, after about a month we took her to the vet to get checked up, they were able to contact the shelter that she was adopted from and change her microchip over to our name. So Mei, (the name we settled on) is with us now forever. We found out she is 18 months old and in very good health.

Basically, we're considering getting another cat. I'm reading so many conflicting things. I get the whole "introducing a new cat" thing being a pretty lengthy process, but we figure now might be the time since we both have time off over the holidays that we could spend at home slowly moving blankets and food bowls around to get them used to each other while keeping them isolated. But I keep worrying, are we doing the right thing by doing this? There are sooo many cats/kittens in shelters around here right now and we'd know we feel that we could definitely look after one more, but what if we're just making life worse for Mei by doing this? My understanding is we would definitely want to go with a male cat if we were to do this, and I think probably the younger the better. Do you think Mei is already going to be super territorial after 2 months here? Is this going to be something where we are ruining our nice peaceful existence with our cat?

Any advice or input from those of you who have been down this road would be very helpful.

Thanks!

pADc7DD.jpg
XPCJoYx.jpg
Hey, I remember your story. That's awesome that it's worked out so well, and that you were able to transfer the chip over too. She's beautiful.

You should definitely get a second cat. They can keep each other company when you're out, and play together to stay fit, whereas one cat by itself will probably get bored and sedentary. As for the logistics of introductions, I leave that to others. I also recommend looking back in this topic a page or two, I'm sure it came up recently.

Did you ever speak to the previous owner? Or see any evidence they were looking for her? Didn't your vet attempt to contact them before changing the chip info?

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
IMG_20191111_162059.jpg

IMG_20191111_162057.jpg

Look at this guy. He is making me crazy. That thing he's sitting on is a cave. Like, to go in. He insists on sitting on it. I stretch it back into it's normal shape every time. He sits on it anyways. Not once have I seen him in it. sigh (I'm not actually mad)

At least the other one ignores it completely. Random photo:
20191123_215640.jpg

Quite a bit bigger than the last time I posted here :)

"When you're as cute as I am, you can sleep however you want".

Thanks!

pADc7DD.jpg
XPCJoYx.jpg

Hey! Yes, I remember your thread, I also posted there. Great to see you here! :)

Cats are social creatures and generally benefit from the company of not just humans but other cats. This is 10x more important if there are long periods of time each day when they're home alone (that is, if everyone in the family works or has school, etc. and there's no one in the house in the meantime). They still benefit from the social interactions with other cats in ways that humans simply can't provide, but if there's always someone home, it's less critical.

You are entirely correct that it would be better to get a male for reasons of territorialism. Indeed, a young cat is more likely to accept another female to "co-own" the house, but there's not much point in risking it. Our two first cats were female, and it took a long time for them to get used to each other, but they did; on the other hand, one of them and another female introduced later are always out for each other. Male cats are much more chill and generally get along with everyone. They also tend to be more loving towards humans, so it's really win-win.

I would definitely recommend adopting another cat if you can. That said, try to explain the situation to the shelter or person giving it for adoption, and see if you could return it in the event that they simply won't get along at all even after a reasonable period of time (typically at least one month). You also probably read how to introduce them to each other (separate rooms at first, give them items like blankets with each other's smell, etc.) but feel free to ask anything. I should really put up a guide for this in the OP, but I never seem to have the time. :D

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
You also probably read how to introduce them to each other (separate rooms at first, give them items like blankets with each other's smell, etc.) but feel free to ask anything. I should really put up a guide for this in the OP, but I never seem to have the time. :D
You've probably explained it in more than one post. You could threadmark one of those.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
"When you're as cute as I am, you can sleep however you want".

Hey! Yes, I remember your thread, I also posted there. Great to see you here! :)

Cats are social creatures and generally benefit from the company of not just humans but other cats. This is 10x more important if there are long periods of time each day when they're home alone (that is, if everyone in the family works or has school, etc. and there's no one in the house in the meantime). They still benefit from the social interactions with other cats in ways that humans simply can't provide, but if there's always someone home, it's less critical.

You are entirely correct that it would be better to get a male for reasons of territorialism. Indeed, a young cat is more likely to accept another female to "co-own" the house, but there's not much point in risking it. Our two first cats were female, and it took a long time for them to get used to each other, but they did; on the other hand, one of them and another female introduced later are always out for each other. Male cats are much more chill and generally get along with everyone. They also tend to be more loving towards humans, so it's really win-win.

I would definitely recommend adopting another cat if you can. That said, try to explain the situation to the shelter or person giving it for adoption, and see if you could return it in the event that they simply won't get along at all even after a reasonable period of time (typically at least one month). You also probably read how to introduce them to each other (separate rooms at first, give them items like blankets with each other's smell, etc.) but feel free to ask anything. I should really put up a guide for this in the OP, but I never seem to have the time. :D

Thanks! That's the kind of positive reassurance I was looking for. We saw a good little guy today (11 weeks old), who was pitch black and just a little round boy. I think we're gonna do it. I'll keep you posted.

Last edited:

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Welp my youngest kitten shat himself while running and as I was cleaning up the mess I saw the trademark noodle rice parasite. Just one, but it was enough. I thought he was clean of tapeworms from his shot rounds when I first got him but apparently not. I'll need to take him to the vet and put my other cats on dewormer. Ugh

Also he keeps trying to climb onto the countertop and he knows to try it when I'm asleep or not home, the sneaky little asshole. I'm going to tape up the whole thing with sticky tape.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

"What do you mean this is not a heater?"

Welp my youngest kitten shat himself while running and as I was cleaning up the mess I saw the trademark noodle rice parasite. Just one, but it was enough. I thought he was clean of tapeworms from his shot rounds when I first got him but apparently not. I'll need to take him to the vet and put my other cats on dewormer. Ugh

Also he keeps trying to climb onto the countertop and he knows to try it when I'm asleep or not home, the sneaky little asshole. I'm going to tape up the whole thing with sticky tape.

He probably had that "accident" because of the worms, poor thing. Yeah, take it to the vet ASAP, parasites are no laughing matter, especially for younger cats.

Monkeylord

Nov 8, 2017
UK
We're in a bit of a pickle, and could really use some advice.

We recently moved home, along with our two cats (Waffle and Freyja). Freyja is pretty easy going, but Waffle is a grumpy sod and he doesn't really like any other cats. He barely tolerates Freyja, but kind of bullies her (especially when we dish up dinner), and if he's in a particularly foul mood will hiss and swipe at her. She's come to terms with this and stays away as much as she can.

We used a Felliway diffuser when we moved in, which helped calm them down post move, and have been quite happy with the results. This was nearly 6 weeks ago, and they've settled in nicely.

It seems, the previous tenant also had cats, but moreso than this, she would feed neighbours cats and strays. So far since moving in, only 2 cats have shown up at the back door. One with a collar who we found out belongs to someone two doors away. The other is a big fat black cat that we have come to call "Fatty Magoo" (or just Magoo, more often than not). He has no collar, and can appear any time of day or night which leads me to believe he's a stray.

He is a handsome and lovely thing. Very affectionate. Seems to hide at the end of our garden only appearing when he hears me close the back door when I nip out for a smoke. He makes silly noises, purrs (a LOT) and constantly rubs himself on my legs. Usually running a figure 8 round me. Recently he's been leaning up on me and hugging my leg.

We have not fed him. We have not let him in. He has harassed me a minimum of twice a day EVERY DAY since we moved in.

Naturally, Waffle hates him (we assume it's a him. He looks like a him. I'm too polite to look).

As such, Waffle (who used to go out every evening) now stays indoors. All. The. Time. He also seems to be getting depressed. We try to play with him, and we give him lots of affection, but he's just lethargic and depressed all the time. He has been outside maybe twice since his two week moving period ended, but no further than halfway up the garden, and has been coming back in through the bathroom window as he hops up on top of our kitchen (extension) and won't come down... because Magoo appears.

Has anyone got any advice for keeping a stray away, that won't affect our cats too?

Magoo is a lovely sod, but it breaks my heart every day because we won't let him in, and won't feed him (we can't encourage his visits), but on the other hand he is making our two cats miserable because they refuse to go out if he's there (I've been out as early as 4am, and he's barrelled at me yipping and being all rubby).

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

We recently moved home, along with our two cats (Waffle and Freyja). Freyja is pretty easy going, but Waffle is a grumpy sod and he doesn't really like any other cats. He barely tolerates Freyja, but kind of bullies her (especially when we dish up dinner), and if he's in a particularly foul mood will hiss and swipe at her. She's come to terms with this and stays away as much as she can.

We used a Felliway diffuser when we moved in, which helped calm them down post move, and have been quite happy with the results. This was nearly 6 weeks ago, and they've settled in nicely.

It seems, the previous tenant also had cats, but moreso than this, she would feed neighbours cats and strays. So far since moving in, only 2 cats have shown up at the back door. One with a collar who we found out belongs to someone two doors away. The other is a big fat black cat that we have come to call "Fatty Magoo" (or just Magoo, more often than not). He has no collar, and can appear any time of day or night which leads me to believe he's a stray.

He is a handsome and lovely thing. Very affectionate. Seems to hide at the end of our garden only appearing when he hears me close the back door when I nip out for a smoke. He makes silly noises, purrs (a LOT) and constantly rubs himself on my legs. Usually running a figure 8 round me. Recently he's been leaning up on me and hugging my leg.

We have not fed him. We have not let him in. He has harassed me a minimum of twice a day EVERY DAY since we moved in.

Naturally, Waffle hates him (we assume it's a him. He looks like a him. I'm too polite to look).

As such, Waffle (who used to go out every evening) now stays indoors. All. The. Time. He also seems to be getting depressed. We try to play with him, and we give him lots of affection, but he's just lethargic and depressed all the time. He has been outside maybe twice since his two week moving period ended, but no further than halfway up the garden, and has been coming back in through the bathroom window as he hops up on top of our kitchen (extension) and won't come down... because Magoo appears.

Has anyone got any advice for keeping a stray away, that won't affect our cats too?

Magoo is a lovely sod, but it breaks my heart every day because we won't let him in, and won't feed him (we can't encourage his visits), but on the other hand he is making our two cats miserable because they refuse to go out if he's there (I've been out as early as 4am, and he's barrelled at me yipping and being all rubby).

The best solution for this, for everyone involved, is to capture Magoo, spay him, and find an adopter for him. He already seems human-socialized from what you're saying (may even be abandoned or lost; scan him for a chip too), so he would probably be a good fit for adoption. Try finding and contacting people in your area that manage adoptions through social media.

Monkeylord

Nov 8, 2017
UK
The best solution for this, for everyone involved, is to capture Magoo, spay him, and find an adopter for him. He already seems human-socialized from what you're saying (may even be abandoned or lost; scan him for a chip too), so he would probably be a good fit for adoption. Try finding and contacting people in your area that manage adoptions through social media.
You're probably right. We'll see about contacting our local Cats Protection office, and see what they say. I'm wary that they'll be busy this time of year, but at least we'll get a clear idea of how to proceed.

We'd consider taking him on ourselves (as I say he's VERY affectionate and easy going), but as adorable as he is, we have to put the needs of our own cats first.

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
my cats recently got spayed. well when i say recently i mean about 2 months ago. they have very different coats. tibby has a short/thin coat and her little bald side stomach patch has fully grown back. kirjava who has super fluffy/long fur still has a long way to go. they done so well after their surgery. they were given little cones to wear but they weren't having it! they licked their wound but whenever we saw them we stopped them. after a couple days they forgot all about it and it healed perfectly!

i've notice they are putting on a lot of weight now and the vet did say it would happen. Tibby has become a little grubber. She just wants fed constantly. I really need to watch what I'm giving her because she is becoming too fat I think. It's hard to tell with Kirjava because she's a big fluff ball so will probably do the same with her.

they are almost 8 months now. i can't believe how big they are getting and how fast time is going. they are just as active, hyper, and playful as ever. they make me laugh so much. i love them.

here is the most recent photo i have of the both of them (kirjava is the one on her back and tibby has kirjava's foot in her face lol):

5qAu4MV.jpg
Consider getting a Feliway plug-in. It has helped with our boys.

Lots of good looking cats on this page. Won't quote them all, but they're great.

yZg4wk6.jpg

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
Not a cat owner but do cat's really freak out over that snapchat catfilter or are those cats in those videos just derps?

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Not a cat owner but do cat's really freak out over that snapchat catfilter or are those cats in those videos just derps?

I've been meaning to try it with our own cats in the name of science, because obviously selection bias means that everyone uploading a video is doing so because they had a strong reaction.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

It's winter, and if that's really a stray, and from the sounds of it perhaps an abandoned or lost pet, I'd be feeding it. You could feed it in the morning and night, and during the day shoo it away if needed. I do similar myself. I have a little hut outside for her, and she's usually there for food every morning and hangs out all evening, and during the day she usually leaves. Then I can let mine out to roam the back yard, which is as far as they go. If your own cat(s) which roam are up to date on rabies shots etc. then you shouldn't have anything serious to worry about, I mean no more so than the usual risks involved if the cat goes farther than the yard. Alternatively, as Weltall suggested, try to get Magoo adopted, then problem solved forever. If you can check on a chip and that doesn't yield results, maybe you know someone who might want him, especially since he sounds so friendly.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017

Get Waffle to the vet. Cats are territorial, and he does not mind to show your other cat who is the boss. No marking, no territorial behaviour. Does Waffle watch/fixate Moog?

I dont think the reason why he stays inside is actually the other cat. It could also be that he has not adapted enough yet or something more serious.

Leonadar

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone have any suggestions for a cat that won't poop in the litter box? We have 3 cats, but one insists on pooping on the floor. He pees in the box fine. I make sure to scoop the boxes (we have 2) at least once a day. In the past we've had as many as 4 litter boxes in the house at once, and he still refused to poop in any of them...

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have any suggestions for a cat that won't poop in the litter box? We have 3 cats, but one insists on pooping on the floor. He pees in the box fine. I make sure to scoop the boxes (we have 2) at least once a day. In the past we've had as many as 4 litter boxes in the house at once, and he still refused to poop in any of them...
3 cats. 2 boxes. ok easy.

1. Take your car
2. drive to the next pet shop
3. buy 4 more litter boxes.
4. Buy different kind of litters
5. Spread them through out the house (common space!)

Also make sure to fill them with enough litter 6-8 cm each. Take different kind of boxes (sizes, forms... closed, open...).

set an open box up where the cat used to poo on the floor and see if he agrees to use it.

Leonadar

Oct 27, 2017
3 cats. 2 boxes. ok easy.

1. Take your car
2. drive to the next pet shop
3. buy 4 more litter boxes.
4. Buy different kind of litters
5. Spread them through out the house (common space!)

Also make sure to fill them with enough litter 6-8 cm each. Take different kind of boxes (sizes, forms... closed, open...).

set an open box up where the cat used to poo on the floor and see if he agrees to use it.

Thanks for the input. I'll give multiple boxes another try. We've tried it in the past, but haven't experimented too much with litter varieties.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the input. I'll give multiple boxes another try. We've tried it in the past, but haven't experimented too much with litter varieties.
Make sure its truly different. While different sizes of grains may matter, the material is as or even more important.
Try wood chips, corn based, "ordinary earth", sand like, betonit, ... you can also set up like 7 boxes or 9 for the time to figure out which is best. And remember that location matters too.

Place the boxes where the cat used to poo.

keep in mind that a cat must feel secure, that means it needs the right box (closed, open etc)

a cat needs enough material (cleanliness, preferences, smell)

the position needs to be right (social room, not to be disturbed, not to exposed...)

if one aspect fails, the cat might not change. So you Need to eliminate all variables.

Monkeylord

Nov 8, 2017
UK
It's winter, and if that's really a stray, and from the sounds of it perhaps an abandoned or lost pet, I'd be feeding it. You could feed it in the morning and night, and during the day shoo it away if needed. I do similar myself. I have a little hut outside for her, and she's usually there for food every morning and hangs out all evening, and during the day she usually leaves. Then I can let mine out to roam the back yard, which is as far as they go. If your own cat(s) which roam are up to date on rabies shots etc. then you shouldn't have anything serious to worry about, I mean no more so than the usual risks involved if the cat goes farther than the yard. Alternatively, as Weltall suggested, try to get Magoo adopted, then problem solved forever. If you can check on a chip and that doesn't yield results, maybe you know someone who might want him, especially since he sounds so friendly.

I've told my GF that the only time I'd even consider letting him in is if the temperature outside is predicted to get to freezing. At the end of our garden is a shed, the roof of which extends to the fence creating a sort of sheltered spot in front of the shed door and covering the rear gate. This is one of those awkward things that looks simple, but is nearly impossible to explain. Regardless, there's a sheltered area at the end of our garden that stays 100% dry. I believe he camps out there. It's hard to see in the evening as it's pitch black at that end of the garden, and being a black cat Magoo is hard to spot at a distance. I hear him babbling as he scampers towards me well before seeing him.

He's a right little fatty. Somewhere between a Hefty Chomk and a Heckin Chonker on that popular chart. He's definitely getting fed somewhere! (probably several somewheres, lol).

Get Waffle to the vet. Cats are territorial, and he does not mind to show your other cat who is the boss. No marking, no territorial behaviour. Does Waffle watch/fixate Moog?

I dont think the reason why he stays inside is actually the other cat. It could also be that he has not adapted enough yet or something more serious.

Our fridge is directly opposite the back door, and he's taken to spending a good 95% of his time lounging on top of it. The back door is frosted glass, so we can see if Magoo is out there from the big black blob with a tiny patch of white on his chest. The only times he even acknowledges Magoo is when he wants to go out.

Waffle actually wanted to go out last night, and did so for about 20mins (even though it was raining, which he usually hates). Naturally, Magoo soon appeared, a hiss or two was issued, and then he scampered away to explore for a bit. Came home 20mins later, hissed at Magoo on his way past, and slank in like nothing had happened.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
soo... theres a strong possibility we have another kitten in the warehouse at work. someone said a baby black kitten was hiding under the forklift. theres a chance that old man face cat that was sitting outside one day was a female. i noticed the loose skin thinking maybe they were starving but they may have given birth and just found a way inside and dropped it off.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really get it but my cat will literally never eat any single piece of human food. Every time I put something in front of him (piece of chicken, piece of fish, crumble of a burger) he does the SAME thing every time.

Sniffs it.
Jumps backwards.
Slowly walks away while shaking out his two front legs.

I mean whatever, if he just wants cat food I'm good with that, but he won't even try anything else. It's really funny.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I don't really get it but my cat will literally never eat any single piece of human food. Every time I put something in front of him (piece of chicken, piece of fish, crumble of a burger) he does the SAME thing every time.

Sniffs it.
Jumps backwards.

I mean whatever, if he just wants cat food I'm good with that, but he won't even try anything else. It's really funny.
One of ours is like that, without the jumping back. Zero interest in any human food and even most types of cat treats. Meanwhile our other cat we joke is like a vacuum cleaner, she'll eat anything.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
So we're getting three kittens to foster tomorrow, bringing our cat count to 9. Business as usual, hahah.

Sniffs it.
Jumps backwards.

One of our cats will steal anything and everything we leave unattended for a few seconds. Hell, if we're not careful she'll steal from our plate right under our noses while we're eating. She's the small and sneaky type to boot so it's hard to even catch her.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
the kitty went and pet my hair. i was like omg hes going to get his claws out and scrape my scalp.

i was close the ground doing stuff for work and he was head level at the time.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Get that kitty out of there before he's crushed or something!
oh. i meant to say this isn't the new one. someone got a picture of it outside. the 2 kittens went outside to play with it. i still yet to see it.

speaking of outside. chubby went climbing a tree. i was like the rustling of the trees sounds weird and i thought thats one huge squirrel . then noticed they were on there lol. i asked them you ever seen the video of the cat that got stuck in a tree?

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
My, I dunno, maybe 10-week old kitten peed on the carpet today. Well to be fair, he peed on a pile of bills which were resting on the floor, so cleanup went pretty easily, but I'm still not happy about it. Cleaned the room up, won't let him in there now, but he kept the rest of the house fine all day. Not sure if that was just a one-off thing or something i should worry about going forward.

He only has the one litter box which I do every morning. Might get him a second. I was always planning on it, but I figured it could wait until he got a bit bigger.

I guess his siblings, which were also adopted out to people I work with, have had a few troubles in this area too. Wonder if they all got UTIs or something. I do plan on taking him to the vet soon for shots and whatnot, but maybe I should move that up. Otherwise he seems fine. Played with him for a good hour when i got home after checking the house for urine. He's mostly stuck with hardwood, and it was all good. Basement also fine.

It's all new flooring so I really want to tackle this properly and quickly before anything worse happens.
Uff. First of: Your kitten does not have trouble. Its YOUR fault for leaving stuff there.
Second: one cat, two litter boxes. Third: That spot will be his new toilette because it's scent marked unless you clean it with pet urine remover.

If the other kittens have UTIs then congrats for supporting a bad breeder (you dunno the age and they dont have shoots so you did that obviously) and get to the vet asap, because the shoots shouldn't be given along with antibiotics. Postponing of shoots puts your kittens life at risk to get infections which are a very common cause of Death.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Uff. First of: Your kitten does not have trouble. Its YOUR fault for leaving stuff there.
Second: one cat, two litter boxes. Third: That spot will be his new toilette because it's scent marked unless you clean it with pet urine remover.

If the other kittens have UTIs then congrats for supporting a bad breeder (you dunno the age and they dont have shoots so you did that obviously) and get to the vet asap, because the shoots shouldn't be given along with antibiotics. Postponing of shoots puts your kittens life at risk to get infections which are a very common cause of Death.
Yeah he's not allowed in this room anymore.

He hasn't had any problems since Monday though, so I think whatever happened was a fairly one-off occurrence. Still plan on getting a second litter box at some point soon. Vet trip is also in his future.

I got the kitten from a cowworker. Hers had a litter and she didn't know what to do with them. I don't know why half of y'all are so fucking aggro on here. It's honestly super frustrating.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Yeah he's not allowed in this room anymore.

He hasn't had any problems since Monday though, so I think whatever happened was a fairly one-off occurrence. Still plan on getting a second litter box at some point soon. Vet trip is also in his future.

I got the kitten from a cowworker. Hers had a litter and she didn't know what to do with them. I don't know why half of y'all are so fucking aggro on here. It's honestly super frustrating.

Rory, you know I love you and your advice, but yeah, you're a bit too zealous and judgmental sometimes. I often understand where you're coming from (believe me, over the years we've had to deal with a lot of people who don't know or don't care what they're doing), but chastising and assuming the worst without enough information is often uncalled for, and it definitely was in this case.

That said, Conkersbadfurday, I kind of understand why your last line in that post could upset Rory; mentioning your new flooring when it's your kitty's health we're talking about might strike as odd to some people. I know you do care about him since you said you'd take him to the vet, but also understand people that are involved with cat stuff have been often witness to instances of absolute and complete disregard for cat's health, and it can unfortunately end up coloring one's perceptions.

Sorry, I'm terrible at de-escalating; I'm usually one of the incensed parties, hahah. :D Please let's all try to cool down and be friendly or at least tolerant of each other; the thread is best when we have multiple points of view and experiences.

OnkelC

Oct 27, 2017
our landlady who is active in the local cat protection society called us on monday morning if we were ready for new cats because the society was about to evacuate a pair from an evicted flat. Meet Momo, an 11-year old british shorthair and Bobby, a 9-year old european shorthair, aka the new odd couple.

Momo:

Cats2 by Chris Jaeger, auf Flickr

Bobby:

Ohne Titel by Chris Jaeger, auf Flickr

Catnip Twins:
Cats2 by Chris Jaeger, auf Flickr

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I decided I hate money, and have joined Cat-Era.

This is Athena, I got her from the Denver Dumb Friends League. She's a bit over a year old.

ITB14Cj.jpg

One year update.

LT7v1vA.jpg

She's been great. Gets a little scratchy and bitey if you her when she's in a rambunctious mood, but overall, a very well behaved cat most the time.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Our female cat loves to pee on things. Dropped some clothes or a towel somehwere? Target. Still have some dishes around in the kitchen? Target. Our bed isnt safe either; she likes to pee on our pyjamas and sometimes even on a pillow. Its weird; sometimes we don't have issues for weeks but now we've had to clean up a few days in a row again. She has always been a very nervous cat (her and her brother got dumped when they were little and probably didnt stay with their mother long (if at all)), but we still havent found a way to counter this behaviour (except making sure the place is tidy, which I guess is kind of a perk in the end .. ). We have multiple litterboxes (tried 4 boxes at one point in time) but settled on a big and small one.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Our female cat loves to pee on things. Dropped some clothes or a towel somehwere? Target. Still have some dishes around in the kitchen? Target. Our bed isnt safe either; she likes to pee on our pyjamas and sometimes even on a pillow. Its weird; sometimes we don't have issues for weeks but now we've had to clean up a few days in a row again. She has always been a very nervous cat (her and her brother got dumped when they were little and probably didnt stay with their mother long (if at all)), but we still havent found a way to counter this behaviour (except making sure the place is tidy, which I guess is kind of a perk in the end .. ). We have multiple litterboxes (tried 4 boxes at one point in time) but settled on a big and small one.

The most likely reason is that she hates the type of litter you use. Some cats hate the feel of specific types of litter on their paws, or they irritate their skin, or they can't stand its smell. Change to a different type of litter; I would recommend clumping, dust-free litter; unless that's precisely what you're using now, then switch to another type, like recycled paper litter. Avoid silica-based litter as it irritates the skin of some cats.

Oct 26, 2017
On top of what was said above, if new litter doesn't help, perhaps your cat may be experiencing pain from a UTI...?

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
On top of what was said above, if new litter doesn't help, perhaps your cat may be experiencing pain from a UTI...?

I'm dumb and completely forgot to mention this; yes, take her to a vet first of all to check for urinary infections if you haven't yet.

I guess I subconsciously assumed they had already checked for it, but there's zero reason for me to assume it. Thanks for picking up the slack. <3

Slackerchan

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Well, after three months of waiting and finally having an appropriate amount of time off, I've finally adopted.

This is Tom. Tom is a good boy who only wants food and love in this world.
UV58KUM.jpg

And this is Tali. She's a mischievous lady who loves springs and hiding toys somewhere that I have yet to find in the five days since I adopted them.
vaWwXyA.jpg

They're both 8 months old and I think I have them to the point where they completely trust me. I need to get a cat tree but I'm hoping that's a Christmas present I find when I head over to my parents' place later. Bonus pic of them together
f7CC5Tq.jpg

Extra bonus Tom making biscuits while I try to play MechWarrior

Last edited:
OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Well, after three months of waiting and finally having an appropriate amount of time off, I've finally adopted.

This is Tom. Tom is a good boy who only wants food and love in this world.
UV58KUM.jpg

And this is Tali. She's a mischievous lady who loves springs and hiding toys somewhere that I have yet to find in the five days since I adopted them.
vaWwXyA.jpg

They're both 8 months old and I think I have them to the point where they completely trust me. I need to get a cat tree but I'm hoping that's a Christmas present I find when I head over to my parents' place later. Bonus pic of them together
f7CC5Tq.jpg

Extra bonus Tom making biscuits while I try to play MechWarrior

Awwwww! <3 Thanks a lot for sharing.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
The most likely reason is that she hates the type of litter you use. Some cats hate the feel of specific types of litter on their paws, or they irritate their skin, or they can't stand its smell. Change to a different type of litter; I would recommend clumping, dust-free litter; unless that's precisely what you're using now, then switch to another type, like recycled paper litter. Avoid silica-based litter as it irritates the skin of some cats.

hmm, we've used the same type since they were young, it's a brand called Peewee, they are wood pellets that absorb pretty much every smell and are easy to "clean" with the corresponding peewee litter box. The pellets fall apart and can be swiped through a grid in the box. the thing that is weird to us is that sometimes there are weeks without any incidents.

we had that checked out a year ago but nothing strange was found except some very minimal struvite (?), but that wasnt cause to worry according to the vet and we put them both (it's hard to feed them seperateley) on different anti-struvite food for a few weeks after that. Didn't get the idea that it mattered much, we both think it's more of a behaviourial/emotional thing. But we moved in the meantime so maybe our new vet has some other ideas.

edit: my gf has been away for work a lot (as in, staying in hotels) the past few weeks, we just realised that the peeing also happened when she was away a lot a while ago. so maybe that's a thing?

Last edited:

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
mr. adventurous decided that he wanted to go play in the mud so he came in with muddy legs and wet underbelly
uw5y77x.jpg

don't let the cuteness fool you.

EDIT: he went out again and got his front paw dirty. RIP.

Bonus pic of the other good one. ;P

J1vIVOa.jpg

Last edited: