• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SirCheese

Oct 27, 2017
Hey Cat-era. So my 6 month old kitten has figured out that he can now reach the kitchen-counters. We've tried sticky tape and tin-foil. Problem is that he loves sticky things and the tin-foil just made him curios. Right now we're just making sure that there's nothing on the counters to attract him or hurt him. We're also ignoring him when he does it so it doesn't become a game for him. Any other tips?

MrT

Oct 27, 2017
We just learned to accept our cats will walk where they please, and just wipe down surfaces before we cook lol. Tin foil seems an odd one because our cats come running when they hear it coming out of the pack, it's like the best toy in the world as far as they're concerned!

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Hey Cat-era. So my 6 month old kitten has figured out that he can now reach the kitchen-counters. We've tried sticky tape and tin-foil. Problem is that he loves sticky things and the tin-foil just made him curios. Right now we're just making sure that there's nothing on the counters to attract him or hurt him. We're also ignoring him when he does it so it doesn't become a game for him. Any other tips?

We just don't let them into the kitchen, but I guess that's not an option for you. Depending on your cat's personality, simply telling them "NO!" might work, but they may also just stop doing it when you're around (or ignore you completely).

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
My little buddy, she doesn't have an "offical" name we just call her baby.
laIbxpn.jpg
Hello there, cousin.

JwCeI4l.gif

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
I would balance a metal pot lid on the edge of the counter. One touch and it would crash to the floor. The loud sound would discourage the behavior. Of course I'd get the occasional crashing pot lid waking me up in the middle of the night, but he eventually stopped the counter surfing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
It's dry food. It's not left out. We have a food dispenser that feeds our cats three times a day

That might be it. There's been a lot of talk about whether it's best to leave food out or not, but in my experience not having it always readily available causes expectation and anxiety when it's served, which leads to gobbling, which leads to throwing up.

If you decide to keep food rationed, it is generally recommended to feed your cat five times a day. Since you have an automatic dispenser, it should be easy to program it to serve less food, more often, right?

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
It's dry food. It's not left out. We have a food dispenser that feeds our cats three times a day
That might be it. There's been a lot of talk about whether it's best to leave food out or not, but in my experience not having it always readily available causes expectation and anxiety when it's served, which leads to gobbling, which leads to throwing up.
My big cat does that. If I don't leave food down all the time or if his bowl gets low next time I put it down or fill it up he speed eats and then turns around and pukes a pile.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Does it matter if you give your cat dry or wet food?

Ideally you should give them both:
- Dry food is good for teeth hygiene and health, and serves a similar purpose as bones would in the wild. Good dry food (check the OP) tends to have a better protein to fat ratio so it can help to keep your cat at a healthy weight.
- Wet food provides fluids that cats may otherwise not compensate enough by drinking, and is the equivalent of blood in prey. This is important as cats can suffer from kidney problems in time (also always separate food from water as per the tip in the OP).

Dry food can typically be left always available, unless it's some brand that they truly get crazy about like Purizon. Wet food can be rationed and served once or twice a day, because they tend to eat whatever is available, and it spoils / attracts bugs.

SirCheese

Oct 27, 2017
I would balance a metal pot lid on the edge of the counter. One touch and it would crash to the floor. The loud sound would discourage the behavior. Of course I'd get the occasional crashing pot lid waking me up in the middle of the night, but he eventually stopped the counter surfing.

Thanks. I'll have to try this out. Hopefully it will scare him. He's kinda of a weird cat. I think the main reason he is counter surfing is because he loves sink-drains and water. He has no issues getting wet for example.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Are you restricting food, and he is searching for more? You can't train him with being clear that you're stern and not playing? Does he have a nearby cat tree to offer height and climbing options instead of the kitchen?

SirCheese

Oct 27, 2017
Do you have a cat fountain? That might solve several things at once for you. :)
He doesn't seem interested in actually drinking the water, just sniffing around and putting his paws in the drain. But I'll buy a fountain and see if that changes anything.
Are you restricting food, and he is searching for more? You can't train him with being clear that you're stern and not playing? Does he have a nearby cat tree to offer height and climbing options instead of the kitchen?
I don't think he's looking for food, just curious about the happenings. He has a view of the kitchen-counters and that seemed to be enough for awhile.

Thank you for all the suggestions.

TableBeRound

Alt account
Banned
Oct 21, 2019
One of my three cats (indoor cat) bolted out the door yesterday and has been now missing for close to 24 hours. Does anyone have any experiences with tracking a cat with thermal vision/infrared goggles (I'm being serious)?

Oct 29, 2017
One of my three cats (indoor cat) bolted out the door yesterday and has been now missing for close to 24 hours. Does anyone have any experiences with tracking a cat with thermal vision/infrared goggles (I'm being serious)?

My cats are indoors so take my advice with a grain of salt but I believe most cats will return to their homes after a while. There is a local facebook group for my community all dedicated to lost pets and their recovery rate seems pretty damn amazing. I would take a look online to see if you have something similar locally.

I have a question for the community though. I have two cats (one added to the family in the last few months) who play pretty aggressively. One always seems to attack the face/head of the other. This resulted in what I believe was pink eye as he kept squinting his eye and had a lot of eye goobers (the vet had the same suspicions). I took him to the vet and they gave me drops (and verified that he didnt have a scratched retina) which helped quite a bit. He no longer squints, but hes still getting eye boogers which I dont really remember him having before. Its not nearly in the same volume as when he had the infection but its enough to notice and I end up cleaning his eye once a day. It also seems to be a different color as the pink eye stuff seemed really goopy greyish and now it always seems dry and black/dark ish colors. Him and the new cat still play quite a bit though so Im thinking that it might just be a reaction from him getting something in his eye while they are playing? Thoughts?

Last edited:

Sonicbug

Oct 26, 2017
The Void, MA

Put some food, litter box, and a cat bed or something with its scent to lure them back. If it's a girl cat she probably hasn't gone far. Or you can set a trap, but you might catch other critters.

TableBeRound

Alt account
Banned
Oct 21, 2019
My cats are indoors so take my advice with a grain of salt but I believe most cats will return to their homes after a while. There is a local facebook group for my community all dedicated to lost pets and their recovery rate seems pretty damn amazing. I would take a look online to see if you have something similar locally.
Put some food, litter box, and a cat bed or something with its scent to lure them back. If it's a girl cat she probably hasn't gone far. Or you can set a trap, but you might catch other critters.

My cat came back!!! I'm so relieved right now.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017

If you decide to keep food rationed, it is generally recommended to feed your cat five times a day. Since you have an automatic dispenser, it should be easy to program it to serve less food, more often, right?
Here we disagree for once. :P

oneofour cats you can serve food all day, he'll eat as much as he needs. He'd be a free-feeding candidate. However, rationing his food does not mean he gobbles it up fast. (We also use surefeeds, so hecan leave food over and return later.)

The other one ate 500+ gram a day by itself. Andi do not mean as kitten but adult. So he'd spend all his day at the bowl eating till throwing up and eating the puke. Free feeding him is impossible. He gets rations 3-4 times a day. He knows the times and becomes very annoying around feeding times.

Not every cat knows its limits. If a cat does, then its fine. However, most cats are not capable of doing so. Putting 1 kg wet food infront of them means they gobble it up. That's when I'd always ration the food, especially for indoor cats.

kazamatsuri

Behind the Scenes at Epic
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
I've had cats most of my life and I feel like I've always had a really good ability to bond with them and understand their wants. Recently, my wife and I adopted a kitten. He was 6 months old when we got him, he's now 11 months old. Unlike any other cat I've ever met or had, he HATES to be touched.

In general, he is frightened of nearly everything. Loud noises, sudden movements, etc. He is generally OK with being around me and my wife, but if we get too close or look like we're going to try to touch or pet him, he runs away. It's like he's totally cool with us if we're 3-5 feet away from him, but any closer and we're suddenly untrustworthy heh. We talk to him constantly when he's around us and I try to get low to the ground so I'm not towering above him to show I'm not a threat. He will get closer to me than normal in that situation, but will instantly run away if I put out my hand.

My wife gives him a treat daily and he'll eat it from her hand and will tolerate being petted then, but as soon as he's done he runs away. He is ultra suspicious of me if I try to give him a treat. He doesn't seem to be super into playing with us, though we can get him to chase a string if we are persistent. At night though, he plays with the toys we've bought him or he goes into the kitchen and finds a paper towel to tear up.

We've never heard him purr and I've only ever heard him meow once the entire time we've had him. Other than these personality issues, he's extremely well behaved. He kinda looks like a stray because we can't brush or pet him, so his fur is kind of raggedy lol but again, very well-behaved.

What's the deal with this cat lol. Anyone have any ideas on other ways we might be able to bond with him? I get it will take time and effort, which is fine, I just don't know if it's better to sort of leave it up to him to make the move when he's ready or if there are things we can do to make it easier...

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Not every cat knows its limits. If a cat does, then its fine. However, most cats are not capable of doing so.

Indeed, feeding is the one thing we disagree on, but if we're talking about dry food, "most cats aren't able to control themselves" is simply not true. We've had well over 100 cats in our house, and not one of them ate more dry food than they needed. It's the rationing that leads to eating like crazy when given free rein, not the other way around.

I've had cats most of my life and I feel like I've always had a really good ability to bond with them and understand their wants. Recently, my wife and I adopted a kitten. He was 6 months old when we got him, he's now 11 months old. Unlike any other cat I've ever met or had, he HATES to be touched.

In general, he is frightened of nearly everything. Loud noises, sudden movements, etc. He is generally OK with being around me and my wife, but if we get too close or look like we're going to try to touch or pet him, he runs away. It's like he's totally cool with us if we're 3-5 feet away from him, but any closer and we're suddenly untrustworthy heh. We talk to him constantly when he's around us and I try to get low to the ground so I'm not towering above him to show I'm not a threat. He will get closer to me than normal in that situation, but will instantly run away if I put out my hand.

My wife gives him a treat daily and he'll eat it from her hand and will tolerate being petted then, but as soon as he's done he runs away. He is ultra suspicious of me if I try to give him a treat. He doesn't seem to be super into playing with us, though we can get him to chase a string if we are persistent. At night though, he plays with the toys we've bought him or he goes into the kitchen and finds a paper towel to tear up.

We've never heard him purr and I've only ever heard him meow once the entire time we've had him. Other than these personality issues, he's extremely well behaved. He kinda looks like a stray because we can't brush or pet him, so his fur is kind of raggedy lol but again, very well-behaved.

What's the deal with this cat lol. Anyone have any ideas on other ways we might be able to bond with him? I get it will take time and effort, which is fine, I just don't know if it's better to sort of leave it up to him to make the move when he's ready or if there are things we can do to make it easier...

Unfortunately, some cats are naturally shy, and there's not much you can do about it. You can try the usual, like Feliway or valerian. You could also try bringing a friendlier cat (either adopted or fostered, or even babysat if someone goes on vacation), as they are usually very prone to imitate behaviour, especially when younger, but this isn't a guarantee either.

It sounds like your cat wasn't properly socialized while younger: cats have a critical time window where they can learn to socialize and trust humans, which is usually between 1 to 3 months. If a cat misses that window, it's much harder to get them to be confortable around humans. It's not impossible; we've done it before, but it took years of love, patience and understanding.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA

We've bought multiple "houses" for Jensen but ended up returning them because he didn't use them. Didn't even use the little "T-Shirt Box" I made. Anyone have a cat that doesn't like to be in a little enclosed dwelling? I keep seeing cute Christmas-themed stuff but I don't think he's ever going to use them.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Any product recommendations to make it super easy to clip my cat's back claws? He runs immediately...He hates it.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
You are not really supposed to clip his back claws. They don't grow out as quickly as the front ones, and are typically nowhere near as sharp.

Really? Okay that's a relief.

He keeps scratching at himself and it's inflaming his skin. We put a cone on him for now but the vet says there's nothing wrong in terms of fleas or whatever. So I thought maybe his claws are too sharp...

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Any product recommendations to make it super easy to clip my cat's back claws? He runs immediately...He hates it.
A good rec would be a second person. We check the back claws on ours about every second or third time that we're clipping the front, and even then we may only clip a few. Did you ever clip a claw too much, and that's why he's afraid of it?

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
I am going to buy adopt (yes I did mean adopt I apologize) a cat for my 5 year old daughter this xmas, and I never ever in my life had a pet.

Do you guys have a list of things its good to get the cat upfront, minus the usual stuff like a litter and the bowls for food and water?

Last edited:

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
I wonder if anybody has any advice for helping a cat lose weight?

We adopted Heidi a year ago and she's very nervous as she came from a home where people were very mean to her, including taking her kittens away as soon as they were born leading to all of them dying. She hides a lot and doesn't move much even by cat standards which is where her name comes from (she's a hidey cat).

We have adopted a second kitten (Milo) and they get along super well and she plays with him a bit which has led to her moving around more but she is still stationary the majority of the time.

She's gotten a bit overweight and as a result can't clean her back properly which has led to dandruff. We took her to the vet and they gave us some shampoo stuff to clean her manually and we had already been doing this with cat wipes and a flea brush. They also recommended we buy lightweight food to help her lose weight, but we had already been using this food for months.

It seems those are their only recommendations, but being on the lightweight food hasn't made any difference, neither has cutting her wet food down to one pouch per day.

The window is open a lot and Milo explores plenty and she will follow him sometimes and just sit outside the window but will never go any further, whereas he goes on ADVENTURES.

If it wasn't for the dandruff I would just put it down to her being a lazy house cat which is fine as long as she's happy and healthy, but since it is genuinely effecting her health it does worry me quite a lot.

Last edited:

Sonicbug

Oct 26, 2017
The Void, MA
I am going to buy a cat for my 5 year old daughter this xmas, and I never ever in my life had a pet.
Do you guys have a list of things its good to get the cat upfront, minus the usual stuff like a litter and the bowls for food and water?

By 'buy' I'm going to assume you mean 'adopt from a rescue/shelter or affiliated pet store.' Make sure you take home a cat that is good with small children. Find a good vet in your area and try to adopt from folks that have already got the cat up-to-date on shots and medical care.

Beyond the usual stuff like a litter box, scratching post/box/whatever, cat bed, and some cat toys... try to buy some good quality cat food. Nail trimmers are also recommended.
Make sure to teach your daughter to be gentle to the cat.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I am going to buy a cat for my 5 year old daughter this xmas, and I never ever in my life had a pet.

They don't need a lot. Put some space between the food and water bowls, and have the litter tray farther away, as far as possible if it's the same room. If you get a collar, some here would say don't, and everyone here would say no bell on the collar (it's mentioned in the OP). Start with a small bag of food until you're comfortable that the cat likes it, rather than just eating to avoid starving. We use Blue Wilderness for the dry food, no rationing, and also give wet food several days a week. Everything else can wait since it'll take a bit of time for the cat to relax in the house anyway. You'll probably want to get a cat bed or two, also a cat tree to climb. Get one with sisal rope on the base, which is great for scratching against. Amazon has a great selection. The flat cardboard scratchers can work too.

It may be difficult to temper expectations your daughter has for loving the cat all the time with the several days it might take the cat to get used to its new surroundings and people, but I'm sure it'll work out. Make sure she approaches the cat slowly at first and from the front, and learns the signals that the cat has had enough before it potentially lashes out, such as the low growl or hiss which means, "You have 2 seconds to get the f*** away from me." I do mean 2 seconds.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
How much space would you all recommend between water and food? I'm currently going with a couple feet or so, roughly the length of our cat plus half.

We'll probably have to move the water further anyway, since she's said in the closest thing she can to words that she definitely wants a flowing-water fountain to drink from.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
How much space would you all recommend between water and food? I'm currently going with a couple feet or so, roughly the length of our cat plus half.

We'll probably have to move the water further anyway, since she's said in the closest thing she can to words that she definitely wants a flowing-water fountain to drink from.
IMO that's enough distance. We also have two other water bowls in the house, since our older cat gets thirsty and we want to make sure she's covered for hydration. As you've just stated, you may also have one that only wants to drink running water, from a tap or fountain.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
A good rec would be a second person. We check the back claws on ours about every second or third time that we're clipping the front, and even then we may only clip a few. Did you ever clip a claw too much, and that's why he's afraid of it?

I mean I have but it was years ago. I guess we just won't clip his back claws and I'll remove the cone after a few days/

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017

If you can, avoid giving the cat to her on Christmas day. It's not a good way to introduce it into your home. All of the excitement, smells, wrapping paper, potential company. It's a lot for a pet to take in. Things will go much smoother if you give it a more gentle welcoming.

Make sure to teach your daughter how to properly approach, handle, and play with a cat. She'll need to respect its space while it gets accustomed to its new home. Get wand toys, so she doesn't have her hands near it when they play. Your goal is to make sure neither party gets hurt or freaked out.

YouTube is your best friend. Look up videos on introducing a cat to a home. Tons of vets have tutorials. I like Helpful Vancouver Vet in particular.

Oct 29, 2017

A scratch pole and some toys as well. You can pick up a bag of toys for like $5 at Walmart. If you change the food at any time for your cat make sure you do it slowly! Or its diarrhea and puke city for days.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
I completely misunderstood this sentence for a second.

Anyway, back on topic: Maybe you are buying the right food but are still overfeeding her? Also, does she have any toys to make her run? That could help too.

Oh god lmao I didn't even notice that. Thanks for the response/advice.

Overfeeding is a possibility, I try to keep it to small amounts and there's not too much around at once but with two of them it's harder as you don't always know who's had what, so I potentially do refill the bowl a little much. Will try cutting it down and watching them more closely to make sure they both still get enough.

She has toys but she is mostly uninterested, she'll claw at them and catch them if I wave them in front of her face but won't chase them for more than a couple of steps.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina

We've bought multiple "houses" for Jensen but ended up returning them because he didn't use them. Didn't even use the little "T-Shirt Box" I made. Anyone have a cat that doesn't like to be in a little enclosed dwelling? I keep seeing cute Christmas-themed stuff but I don't think he's ever going to use them.

My girl doesn't like boxes or enclosed spaces at all. She may nap on a box sometimes if there's clothing on top or something but won't enter open boxes.

The male though...