• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I keep forgetting about your greyhound, that might actually be more than enough company for her. They get along well, right?
He's not allowed inside while we're not there, he's shown propensity for chewing on wooden furniture... either through boredom or attention-seeking. But we've seen evidence of chewing the corner of his doghouse outside, and part of our fence :/ And yeah, they get along as well as can be expected. In that he absolutely adores her and to her, he's just some annoying, giant but harmless "thing" lol

I want to look into some kind of indoor camera so we can test him, but it always seems too tricky to setup when I get the motivation to do it, so it never gets done! But maybe I should if it means Chloe has company in the house.

She did bless him several times the other day when he was getting too friendly with the sniffing. Three taps on the nose, she was on the dining table and he was just saying hi! Example of said tap:
u9CRSNGl.jpg

No claws or anything, just gentle taps. She's not rough or mean with him in the slightest, even though he doesn't realise how intimidating he could be to a relatively small cat.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I'm afraid I'm not going to find out: turns out Bear was adopted out weeks ago and the foster hadn't updated the PetFinder or their group's website to take down the listing. I'm still looking though. I want a big cat but also another one to go with it (perhaps a bonded pair if possible).

Aww. Well, it wasn't meant to be. Think that this will make it possible for you to fall in love with the cat that ends up in your life. :)

Star has been doing pretty well lately (though she does have a tendency to play a little rough when I try to go in to pet her) but she trills a lot. I'm slightly worried that she's doing that because she needs more attention/stimulation than she gets.

You know what's the solution to that... yep, more cats. :)

Newbie cat owner here.
My younger 2 year old female ragdoll Bob has started to scratch my front door despite having multiple posts and cardboard loungers.
I strongly believe this is attention seeking as I'm not giving her treats but she's getting quite a few lately and I don't want her to get fat.
Playtime is a problem as while her older ragdoll cousin Percy is definitely a lover not a fighter, he is bigger and is very ready to leap in to play ahead of her. Conversely she becomes quite agitated if they are separated so I can't dedicate time to her.
What can I do to keep her happy?

Scratching on doors typically means they want to get out. I'm assuming she's spayed?

He's not allowed inside while we're not there, he's shown propensity for chewing on wooden furniture... either through boredom or attention-seeking. But we've seen evidence of chewing the corner of his doghouse outside, and part of our fence :/ And yeah, they get along as well as can be expected. In that he absolutely adores her and to her, he's just some annoying, giant but harmless "thing" lol

I want to look into some kind of indoor camera so we can test him, but it always seems too tricky to setup when I get the motivation to do it, so it never gets done! But maybe I should if it means Chloe has company in the house.

She did bless him several times the other day when he was getting too friendly with the sniffing. Three taps on the nose, she was on the dining table and he was just saying hi! Example of said tap:
u9CRSNGl.jpg

No claws or anything, just gentle taps. She's not rough or mean with him in the slightest, even though he doesn't realise how intimidating he could be to a relatively small cat.

That's adorable, hahah. <3

About cameras, my SO got a cheap one to (what else) check on the cats while we're on vacation. It did take a bit to set up the phone app IIRC, but it works suprisingly well, and since it has both a mic and a speaker, you can even talk to people (or animals!) through it.

ieu

Oct 26, 2017
Mid Wales
Scratching on doors typically means they want to get out. I'm assuming she's spayed?

She is spayed and the closest to outside she's ever been is the landing outside the flat.
I did open the door one time and she just stared at me without leaving, so after a few minutes I closed it again.
I might try to grab her today and check on her claws as maybe she wants something harder than cardboard to work them down.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
She is spayed and the closest to outside she's ever been is the landing outside the flat.
I did open the door one time and she just stared at me without leaving, so after a few minutes I closed it again.
I might try to grab her today and check on her claws as maybe she wants something harder than cardboard to work them down.

That makes sense, you don't have any sisal scratch posts / cat trees?

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
That's, this is all really helpful and I wish I had known before moving too.

Luckily he's only been doing it in one room (and just a few feet away from his box, to boot) so I hope hope is not lost. All their stuff is in that room.
I'D try to keep the room you give your pet to a minimum and try to add as much scent soaking furniture as possible (cardboard etc.) to speed up the process of adapting.

u9CRSNGl.jpg

just get your doggy some wood he's allowed to chew on. We have chewies (coffewood) and any time our dog tried to chew on the chairs we gave her this as an alternative.

She mostly stopped chewing on furniture.

i wish our cat wouldbe like that. -.- we still have issues here, although anju was allowed to enter today with both cats sitting directly infront of the door andshe brushed both cats without any tensions. 🥺

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
There is a difference in quality of cardboard too.
We bought for 70 euro a scratcher, fucking expensive, but it lasted well over a year. Its still in good condition and useable for scratching 1 1/2 year later. On the other hand, the cardboard scratching post has been done 3 weeks after (was 15 euro i think).

Other than that it may be a great thing to take a pece of wood and staple old jeans on it then fix it to the wall. Jeans is really durable and gives a good scratching material.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Hey yall, can I use regular OTC disinfectants on cat wounds? My little one has been roughousing with the older cat and ended up scratching him under the chin. The bloods dried now but I'm worried about infections. How do I cover the wound?

I'm also worried about using stuff like alcohol pads to clean the wound since I dont know if that will really sting for him. I'm unable to go to the vet as I really can't afford it at the moment.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Hey yall, can I use regular OTC disinfectants on cat wounds? My little one has been roughousing with the older cat and ended up scratching him under the chin. The bloods dried now but I'm worried about infections. How do I cover the wound?

I'm also worried about using stuff like alcohol pads to clean the wound since I dont know if that will really sting for him. I'm unable to go to the vet as I really can't afford it at the moment.

You can use some of the disinfectants for human use on cats; use either chlorhexidine (undiluted) or povidone iodine like Betadine (50% dilluted with water).

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
You can use some of the disinfectants for human use on cats; use either chlorhexidine (undiluted) or povidone iodine like Betadine (50% dilluted with water).

Gotcha, thanks! So do I just apply the solution on a cloth and just dab it over the scratch? Is it okay if the cats lick the wound after the solution has been applied?

ieu

Oct 26, 2017
Mid Wales
There is a difference in quality of cardboard too.
We bought for 70 euro a scratcher, fucking expensive, but it lasted well over a year. Its still in good condition and useable for scratching 1 1/2 year later. On the other hand, the cardboard scratching post has been done 3 weeks after (was 15 euro i think).

Other than that it may be a great thing to take a pece of wood and staple old jeans on it then fix it to the wall. Jeans is really durable and gives a good scratching material.

I have the same scratcher and it's even in the same colour too! When they were kittens they also had a smaller version until Bob grew too big to fit through the hole. Now I stick treats in there sometimes just to see if she's paying attention...
Speaking of treats, I bought a new toy last week, the catzilla balls. The one ball isn't great at crinkling and the ball withe the bell doesn't roll so well on account of the ears on it. They like me shaking it and chasing it, but when they get there the disappointment is palpable.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
I am often asked how we tell them apart. It is pretty obvious.

Can you tell who's next to Anju?

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
My oldest cat is so stupid. I put down a nice, big, chunky block of pate for her to eat. What does she do? Lick the gravy off the top and leave the actual food. And somehow she is still chunky.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I'll be in here later to share with y'all some photos of the cat wearing tiny hats my wife has made for her.

Two nights ago the cat was feeling moody and sleepy all night. Last night she was in a constant state of zoomies and knocking down furniture. The only thing that seemed to keep her remotely calm was her watching me play the Sonic Mania special stages (cat seems to like watching Sonic games, go figure?). She's at just about 7 months old (they estimated her at 4 months at the shelter) so I think puberty has hit her like a ton of bricks despite having been spayed.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
The two cats we were fostering were adopted a couple days ago. Exactly as I predicted, the first adopters to meet them immediately wanted to have them. :)

Gotcha, thanks! So do I just apply the solution on a cloth and just dab it over the scratch? Is it okay if the cats lick the wound after the solution has been applied?

Yes, exactly. You can also pour it on toilet paper or cotton or whatever; then dab over the wound.
It's obviously ideal if they don't lick it, but it's OK if they do (that's the reason to dillute the iodine).

Remewlution of our time. :)
(thanks, it means a lot).

My oldest cat is so stupid. I put down a nice, big, chunky block of pate for her to eat. What does she do? Lick the gravy off the top and leave the actual food. And somehow she is still chunky.

Ours often do that too, hahah. This is a behaviour they do in the wild with prey, and the reason their tongue is sandpapery: they lick the blood and layers of meat off larger prey. Try to squash and break apart the pate, sometimes it's unpleasant or hard for them to eat big chunks of food without getting dirty, etc.

I'll be in here later to share with y'all some photos of the cat wearing tiny hats my wife has made for her.

Two nights ago the cat was feeling moody and sleepy all night. Last night she was in a constant state of zoomies and knocking down furniture. The only thing that seemed to keep her remotely calm was her watching me play the Sonic Mania special stages (cat seems to like watching Sonic games, go figure?). She's at just about 7 months old (they estimated her at 4 months at the shelter) so I think puberty has hit her like a ton of bricks despite having been spayed.

Hahah, that's great about Sonic Mania; I guess they like the fast-moving sprites. To get cats, especially younger ones, to sleep the whole night, you need to tire the hell out of them. Try playing with them before bed until they're too tired to play anymore; this is also good for them psychologically and physically.

MrT

Oct 27, 2017
Ours often do that too, hahah. This is a behaviour they do in the wild with prey, and the reason their tongue is sandpapery: they lick the blood and layers of meat off larger prey. Try to squash and break apart the pate, sometimes it's unpleasant or hard for them to eat big chunks of food without getting dirty, etc.
Haha yeah we have one cat who like these "melting heart" pate things that are filled with sauce - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gourmet-Gold-Melting-heart-Chicken/dp/B079ZM1WC8
I watched her eat one the other day when I hadn't broken it up for her and she basically shoved her face in it and broke it apart to lick out all the sauce, then spent 20 mins grooming her face and whiskers, then wandered off leaving the rest of it

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I saw the thread about it yesterday, poor thing must have been so scared.

On the subject of cat sports tweets (might have been posted before, but I never tire of looking at it):

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
It's been a month :(

Heart's still broken. Sigh. That first photo is the last one my wife took, too. I know I'd almost consciously taken less photos of Spooky because she never seemed as sick/likely to pass on as much as her sister and it makes me feel like shit :/

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
It's been a month :(

Heart's still broken. Sigh. That first photo is the last one my wife took, too. I know I'd almost consciously taken less photos of Spooky because she never seemed as sick/likely to pass on as much as her sister and it makes me feel like shit :/

Aww. Hang in there, man; it's hard but it's a bit less hard each day. :(

About the last part: that's just the survivor's guilt speaking; there's always something that people feel guilty about, no matter how minor, it's just psychology (also why owners feel guilty about euthanizing / not euthanizing). It doesn't do any good to you to hold to that guilt, so try to let it go, if you can.

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Shaneus have you thought more about getting a new cat? I'm sure you could give someone a nice loving home. Spread the love, man.

Jonesy's shaved patch is so orange now. Love this dude.

T9K9XUb.jpg

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the kind words, all. Gonna be hard this coming Saturday when it would've been Spooky's birthday :(

Shaneus have you thought more about getting a new cat? I'm sure you could give someone a nice loving home. Spread the love, man.
I've personally thought about it, but Chloe is (only now) having the time of her life being the only cat. Just took her a little while to get used to it. It's honestly the most active and chatty we've seen her for a very long time, it kinda feels a little like she's embodying some of the traits of her more social sister (definitely more rascally, that's for sure).

For example, I removed a shelf on a bench in our kitchen the other day, and she's worked out she can jump to said bench from the dining table without too much trouble. So the other morning, I woke up to see this:
2pfheJZl.jpg

Yes, that's our dish drying mat, with a kitty on it. Meowing.

But yeah, regarding getting another, my wife and I have had a brief chat and decided that with Chloe being happy(ish) again, we're only going to adopt when she passes on as well. And then, it'll be a pair that's already bonded because bonded pairs seem to wait longer in shelters (and they won't be alone when trying to cope with Jasper lol).

Aww. Hang in there, man; it's hard but it's a bit less hard each day. :(

About the last part: that's just the survivor's guilt speaking; there's always something that people feel guilty about, no matter how minor, it's just psychology (also why owners feel guilty about euthanizing / not euthanizing). It doesn't do any good to you to hold to that guilt, so try to let it go, if you can.
Yeah, I know. I've somewhat let it go and god knows I have enough cat photos to last forever, but I think it's just that it still hurts (and always will).

There are a few little things that kind of bring me down still, like the wife talking of getting rid of the scratching post (that Spooky really ever only used), or even vacuuming the cushions on our armchairs (that haven't been vacuumed since we said goodbye to her and only she used). Needless to say, we still have the scratching post and I think in a way that would be a cute reminder of her that's slightly less depressing than her ashes, as beautiful as the urn may be:
Cat-Forward-Black-CF-300x200.jpg

Sorry for bringing the thread down, folks. Post more pictures to balance this shit out!

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Thanks for the kind words, all. Gonna be hard this coming Saturday when it would've been Spooky's birthday :(

I've personally thought about it, but Chloe is (only now) having the time of her life being the only cat. Just took her a little while to get used to it. It's honestly the most active and chatty we've seen her for a very long time, it kinda feels a little like she's embodying some of the traits of her more social sister (definitely more rascally, that's for sure).

For example, I removed a shelf on a bench in our kitchen the other day, and she's worked out she can jump to said bench from the dining table without too much trouble. So the other morning, I woke up to see this:
2pfheJZl.jpg

Yes, that's our dish drying mat, with a kitty on it. Meowing.

But yeah, regarding getting another, my wife and I have had a brief chat and decided that with Chloe being happy(ish) again, we're only going to adopt when she passes on as well. And then, it'll be a pair that's already bonded because bonded pairs seem to wait longer in shelters (and they won't be alone when trying to cope with Jasper lol).

Yeah, I know. I've somewhat let it go and god knows I have enough cat photos to last forever, but I think it's just that it still hurts (and always will).

There are a few little things that kind of bring me down still, like the wife talking of getting rid of the scratching post (that Spooky really ever only used), or even vacuuming the cushions on our armchairs (that haven't been vacuumed since we said goodbye to her and only she used). Needless to say, we still have the scratching post and I think in a way that would be a cute reminder of her that's slightly less depressing than her ashes, as beautiful as the urn may be:
Cat-Forward-Black-CF-300x200.jpg

Sorry for bringing the thread down, folks. Post more pictures to balance this shit out!

Sorry to be kind of a downer myself, but could it be that Chloe's relative hyperactivity and chattiness is caused by boredom and loneliness? Cats tend to be more rascally when they're bored, which is why cats chewing on cables is often best solved by getting another cat.

Is she home alone for long stretches during weekdays? Do you notice more mischievous behaviour these days?

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I wish I had pictures, but here's some background.

Luna comes from a colony of ferals, and her mom, the "queen" must have had some issues because one night my grandmother found Luna and her brothers strewn about her yard, and one in the street in front of her trash can. Mom nowhere to be found, but they were guarded by their big brothers and sisters who are about 7 months old.

Ever since my grandma took them in, big siblings have camped out on her back porch and chased away any neighbor cats who come around for food and treats. Never realized how strong the familial bond is with feral colonies.

Luna was by far the friendliest of her litter. I felt kinda bad prying her away from her brothers, but she loves people and has adjusted to her new home really quickly.
ZLMR8BL.jpg

Edit: and she seems to enjoy the company of Xbox controllers ;)

Tanooki

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
My parents bought a kitten. How the heck do I stop the thing from following me around everywhere? I keep accidentally kicking it, and almost stepping on it. Very inconvenient.

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Luna comes from a colony of ferals, and her mom, the "queen" must have had some issues because one night my grandmother found Luna and her brothers strewn about her yard, and one in the street in front of her trash can. Mom nowhere to be found, but they were guarded by their big brothers and sisters who are about 7 months old.

Ever since my grandma took them in, big siblings have camped out on her back porch and chased away any neighbor cats who come around for food and treats. Never realized how strong the familial bond is with feral colonies.

Luna was by far the friendliest of her litter. I felt kinda bad prying her away from her brothers, but she loves people and has adjusted to her new home really quickly.
ZLMR8BL.jpg

Absolutely adorable. Enjoy your new siamese. I got a siamese kitten a couple months ago and he's the best cat I could ever hope for. They're so smart.
My parents bought a kitten. How the heck do I stop the thing from following me around everywhere? I keep accidentally kicking it, and almost stepping on it. Very inconvenient.
Tread carefully. You have a new shadow. I don't think there's anything you can do if the cat loves you.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

ZLMR8BL.jpg

Thanks for sharing the story. You definitely did the right think giving her a home. She looks so lovely in that pic, awww!

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

I have pretty much grown used to walking carefully when home. Slow movements, sliding feet rather than taking actual steps, that kind of thing. Alternatively, just carry the kitten in your arms everywhere, I'm sure he'll love it.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
So maybe someone here can give some advice.

My middle cat, Jean Luc Picard has been throwing up his food more and more often. Right now it happens every other day.

I've attributed it to eating too fast as it usually happens right after he eats. He never has hairballs or anything like that.

No change in diet, he's a strictly indoor cat.

Thoughts?

Sonicbug

Oct 26, 2017
The Void, MA

My middle cat, Jean Luc Picard has been throwing up his food more and more often. Right now it happens every other day.

I've attributed it to eating too fast as it usually happens right after he eats. He never has hairballs or anything like that.

Thoughts?

You should probably get him checked out by a vet, but you could try smaller meals more frequently so he isn't gorging.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

Thoughts?
Because no change in diet, I'd take him to the vet. Make it so.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Thoughts?

When he throws up after eating, is it wet or dry food? Is it food you give him at certain times, or dry food you leave out for him to eat whenever?

(also great cat name :D).

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Really thinking about getting another cat. My little void just seems bored half the time. Been looking at the animal shelters for a partner. He's a male and is their any difference getting a male or female. He's only a year and half old.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Really thinking about getting another cat. My little void just seems bored half the time. Been looking at the animal shelters for a partner. He's a male and is their any difference getting a male or female. He's only a year and half old.

I tend to recommend getting males; they get along with each other better and are generally sweeter. Since you already have a male, it probably doesn't matter that much if the new one is a male or female (the problems typically come when it's two dominant females). I would just choose according to personality.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I tend to recommend getting males; they get along with each other better and are generally sweeter. Since you already have a male, it probably doesn't matter that much if the new one is a male or female (the problems typically come when it's two dominant females). I would just choose according to personality.

I always thought the issue was two dominant males. Interesting....

my little dude is really shy and sweet want to try to find a cat that has the same personality?

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I always thought the issue was two dominant males. Interesting....

my little dude is really shy and sweet want to try to find a cat that has the same personality?

You would think that, hahah, but once they're neutered, the territoriality / competition instincts pretty much disappear.

Yeah, a cat that is sweet (I mean, that's the main quality to look for always) and probably not terribly active might be the best for you. Go to shelters, see how the cats react to you, hold them if they let you, etc. If they start purring when you pick them up, you probably have a winner, but some cats react very differently to other cats than to humans, so also ask about that.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
You would think that, hahah, but once they're neutered, the territoriality / competition instincts pretty much disappear.

Yeah, a cat that is sweet (I mean, that's the main quality to look for always) and probably not terribly active might be the best for you. Go to shelters, see how the cats react to you, hold them if they let you, etc. If they start purring when you pick them up, you probably have a winner, but some cats react very differently to other cats than to humans, so also ask about that.

Thanks for the tips. I appreciate it.

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Our boys have gone from friends to barely acquaintances. Mercutio, the older cat, doesn't seem to like Jonesy anymore. He now spends most of his time sleeping, rarely feels like being social, and almost never purrs anymore. They don't fight, Mercutio just seems depressed. We're not sure what to do about it. Tried getting him his own toys but he's not really interested in play. We give him as much attention as he'll accept. He's just a totally different cat now.

I ordered some Feliway multicat in hopes that it'll have some effect.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Our boys have gone from friends to barely acquaintances. Mercutio, the older cat, doesn't seem to like Jonesy anymore. He now spends most of his time sleeping, rarely feels like being social, and almost never purrs anymore. They don't fight, Mercutio just seems depressed. We're not sure what to do about it. Tried getting him his own toys but he's not really interested in play. We give him as much attention as he'll accept. He's just a totally different cat now.

I ordered some Feliway multicat in hopes that it'll have some effect.

You might want to take Mercutio to the vet if you haven't already. There might be something else going on; cats are good at hiding pain and disconfort but apathy is one of the telltale signs.

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You might want to take Mercutio to the vet if you haven't already. There might be something else going on; cats are good at hiding pain and disconfort but apathy is one of the telltale signs.
Yeah, we discussed a visit this morning. He hasn't been the same since his eye got scratched a few weeks ago. The only physical thing we've noticed were his paw pads being a bit dry, which we took care of with some coconut oil. They're fine now.

OP
OP
Weltall Zero

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Yeah, we discussed a visit this morning. He hasn't been the same since his eye got scratched a few weeks ago. The only physical thing we've noticed were his paw pads being a bit dry, which we took care of with some coconut oil. They're fine now.

There could be a lot more going on. Not necessarily anything dramatic or untreatable; e.g. one of our cats had developed painful growths around her throat that made her cough a lot and pained her when eating or grooming; we had them surgically removed and she's so much happier now.