• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I was always interested on these games but it seems like gameplay-wise they didn't age very well, could someone provide an insight on that?

They also must be really tough to find nowadays.

Actually if you watch any video about them they will mention how they aged well. As I mentioned in a previous post the first game doesn't get stealth right, sometimes that is not a problem but others it can be a little annoying. The second one is pure FPS perfection.

Jul 8, 2018
Yeah, I'd have to agree on this one. Keeping my fingers crossed that Night Dive manages to sort out the rights to the series somehow.

It's true that the stealth in the first NOLF sucks, but otherwise the game is an easy 10/10 for me. And the second one is pretty damn good as well.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Yeah, I'd have to agree on this one. Keeping my fingers crossed that Night Dive manages to sort out the rights to the series somehow.

It's true that the stealth in the first NOLF sucks, but otherwise the game is an easy 10/10 for me. And the second one is pretty damn good as well.

If god exist and they ever remaster these games, I fix with some small tweaks you can greatly improve NoLF underveloped stealth system. Give the abililty to lean to the sides, move bodies, turn off alarms and make some mechanics more obvious. I'm not sure how hard would be to add those to the game but at least some of these might not be that hard.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Kim Justice did a good retrospective of the series.

Great video. It's interesting the comparison with Deus Ex. I think the difference is that Deus Ex is a stealth game at first and a FPS at last, NoLF is the opposite. Generally stealth games don't have great gunplay, or least they didn't used to. This changed a lot of the last decade or so, but NoLF 2 was way ahead of its time. It managed to have both a fantastic gunplay and a simple yet fully functional stealth system that allowed the game to be much more than just move from point A to B while killing everyone. Closest thing I can think of is Wolfenstein: The New Order.

Also, the end of this video is just depressing. To think that the game isn't brought back because corportations simply don't care isn't exactly surprising, but it is sad.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
NOLF2 is one my top-5 SP shooter campaigns of all time

and Cate Archer is an awesome character. (I liked her better in the second game though)

WieDerrickWie

Jul 4, 2018
Stranger things have happened though. Like Rebellion recent acquisition of Battlezone 2 and GOG acquiring the Soldier of Fortune series. So never say never.
Case in point, Blood is getting remastered by Nightdive.

Many of Monolith's IPs got royally screwed at some point.
They were forced to rush Blood 2 and if they wanted to release a patch to fix it up GT Interactive weren't going to pay them for it and since Monolith barely made any money from Blood 2 it wasn't worth it to fix. The IP itself is now held for ransom for a ridiculously high price.
No One Lives Forever is in IP limbo
They originally lost the rights to FEAR when they were making a sequel but eventually got it back halfway through development and renamed it Fear 2.
I think the only issue Condemned ever had was that for the sequel Sega had no interest in a PC port and wouldn't pay for one so we never got one. I believe Jace Hall owns the IP

Last edited:

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know much about the NOLF games cause I never played them. But I and others do know Cate as a pretty damn good wrestler....and a pretty damn good heel

MUH TITLE

MickeyKnox

Oct 28, 2017
cate_archero7k9f.png

X

150px-sterling_archercokg3.png

DO IT.

Theta

Banned
Jan 29, 2019
Trinidad and Tobago

They were forced to rush Blood 2 and if they wanted to release a patch to fix it up GT Interactive weren't going to pay them for it and since Monolith barely made any money from Blood 2 it wasn't worth it to fix. The IP itself is now held for ransom for a ridiculously high price.
They originally lost the rights to FEAR when they were making a sequel but eventually got it back halfway through development and renamed it Fear 2.
I think the only issue Condemned ever had was that for the sequel Sega had no interest in a PC port and wouldn't pay for one so we never got one. I believe Jace Hall owns the IP
But Condemned: Criminal Origins is already available the PC for quite some time now. I remember receiving it around 2016 when Sega was doing their "Make Love Not War" giveaway.

Premium Ghoul

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
yRSZuWs.jpg

Ah, the good old days of slowly installing games off of multiple CDs.

I'm going to try playing this again because I don't think I got past the snow level when I first played it years ago.

Edit: Big surprise, I can't get this to run. Installing from my own CDs and trying to manually patch fails with a "catastrophic error", and grabbing the fully patched and modded version of the game from the NOLF HQ community site also didn't work. Oh well!

Last edited:

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
She really is. Unfortunately, the IP is stuck in purgatory where both I think Activision and Warner Bros have some claim of ownership, but it's not worth anyone's time to actually go through ancient paper archives from acquisitions to try to verify, and nobody's willing to assume the risk of legal liability of just going forward with remakes/remasters without obtaining that clarity.

It's a shitty situation, and the only losers are us, the players.

That sucks more than family photos.

Tunahead

Oct 30, 2017
For me, Laura Bow will always be the queen of forgotten video game heroines, but I'm prepared to enter into a dark pact with Cate Archer supporters to lay waste to all the other competition.

Joanna Dark > Cate Archer

I'm sorry, but Joanna Dark is disqualified for not having toxophilite vocabulary as her last name. It's the law.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
These two games are on the short list of games I would repurchase immediately, even at full price, should they becone available for sale again.

yRSZuWs.jpg

I'm going to try playing this again because I don't think I got past the snow level when I first played it years ago.

Edit: Big surprise, I can't get this to run. Installing from my own CDs and trying to manually patch fails with a "catastrophic error", and grabbing the fully patched and modded version of the game from the NOLF HQ community site also didn't work. Oh well!
I had an easier time getting the game to work on Linux via WINE than on Windows. Same with F.E.A.R.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
yRSZuWs.jpg

The world is indeed a terrible and unfair place. And I was about to say the snow level is fantastic...

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017

Does someone lost an IP if they don't use it?

theSoularian

Oct 25, 2017
I really love these games. I still have my NOLF 2 discs and tried running it on Windows 7 years ago and it didn't go so well. I'd be happy with them getting a Steam/GOG release and fixed for modern systems. It's a real shame the ip is stuck in limbo, but I'm still hopeful.

WieDerrickWie

Jul 4, 2018
Monolith created the first FEAR while Vivendi published it.
Monolith got bought by Warner Bros. sometime after its release and so when they wanted to make a sequel, they couldn't call it FEAR as Vivendi still had the rights.
Vivendi then had a separate developer create two expansion packs for FEAR 1 while Monolith was making a true sequel (that couldn't be called FEAR)
Vivendi eventually got bought by Warner Bros. and so Monolith could use the name again. They chose to completely ignore that the two FEAR expansions ever existed and so they were retconned in the story.
I believe Warner Bros. still has the rights to FEAR today

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
I really love these games. I still have my NOLF 2 discs and tried running it on Windows 7 years ago and it didn't go so well. I'd be happy with them getting a Steam/GOG release and fixed for modern systems. It's a real shame the ip is stuck in limbo, but I'm still hopeful.
I also have my CDs, but I couldn't be bothered to connect a cd/dvd drive to my PC, so I just downloaded a torrent. The bonus being that it was prepackaged with patches to get the game to run properly.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
"No one knows about"

Does every thread have to pull headline/YouTube bullcrap?

Of course people know about NOLF, but when a developer puts the franchise on hold and fights the publisher over who owns the rights, you just don't hear from it. GOG has been trying to get a hold of it for years.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil

As I understand the answer is sadly no. It basically lasts forever, so there is no hoping in just waiting it out. If someone wants to revive NoLF they will have to actively work for it.

"No one knows about"

Does every thread have to pull headline/YouTube bullcrap?

Of course people know about NOLF, but when a developer puts the franchise on hold and fights the publisher over who owns the rights, you just don't hear from it. GOG has been trying to get a hold of it for years.

Well, I did mention in the op I knew the title was a hyperbole, so I'm half innoncent here. Besides, it's not about hearing from it from developers, it's about how much the game/character is present in people's memories or if they ever heard abotu it in the first place.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
As I understand the answer is sadly no. It basically lasts forever, so there is no hoping in just waiting it out. If someone wants to revive NoLF they will have to actively work for it.
I recalled there was an discussion on Disney's Steamboat Willy being a public domain. Is that a different thing?

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
I recalled there was an discussion on Disney's Steamboat Willy being a public domain. Is that a different thing?
That's copyright. The only thing you lose if you don't assert ownership, are Trademarks. And patents are another thing, but those can be invalidated through legal action (but you don't lose the right to assert a patent if you haven't claimed against infringers).

Last edited: