• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
The continue function seems neat. I quit the game via in game menu on the room were Death's makes its first appearance and after selected "Continue" on the main menu, I started just in the same room with Dead just giving his speech. Haven't tested it further tho.

EDIT: If you close the game via OS it saves your last visited room if you choose to continue, kinda like a save state.
That's great! Bloodstained has a suspend feature which is embedded in the exit menu, but having something that happens automatically is much better. I worked on a PC to iOS port a few years ago and we did an auto-save alongside manual saves, which covered us for this behaviour.

Nice to know it runs okay even on iPhone SE.

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
Bought this as soon as I found out (about and hour ago). Never got the chance to experience this on PS1 back in the days but I've heard plenty of good things about it. The game plays fine with a DS4 on iPad Pro, and it's fun. Looking forward to playing more of this.

Maria and Richter playable from the beginning!

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017

$2.99 on each store. Based on the PSP/PS4 versions and has controller support!

Android
iOS

Might want to add to the first post a fun thing I found upon starting the game...

As soon as you go to input your name it tells you input Richter to play as him or Maria to play as her! No need to new game plus this time just pick who you wanna be! Maria was never in the psx version but was in Dracula x and other ports. Great you can enjoy these so folks who never unlocked them or who just never played them because of the long unlock requirements rejoice!

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
Instabought at that price. My impressions so far is it seems to be on par with the psp/ps4 release with some extra qol features. Played with a controller on Android btw and it worked fine.

To my knowledge these are new; I died playing maria without saving and the continue feature just started me in the room I died in. Also was able to skip at least half the game over sequence which is notoriously long in the original. You can skip every cutscene or dialogue sequence too I noticed. As well as using RICHTER and MARIA in the naming screen to play as them right away AXEARMOR works off the bat aswell.

You can change language whenever but it'll always boot you to the main menu. Choosing Japanese will get you the original Japanese voice acting! But the text will change into Japanese too, I see no option to have jp audio with English text which is a shame.

Also there is no way from what I can tell to rebind buttons which was in the original game ffs. I can't be back dashing with triangle/y/x instead of L/LB in 2020 fam.
I think the new menu screen looks quite nice, the old one Igarashi made was so bare bones lol. When loading your game, the new menu even incorporates the several little animated icons you would see while loading your save from your memory card on ps1, I don't think the other ports have that.

Last edited:

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Did this get a worldwide release before Grimoire of Souls?
Yes. Sadly yes.
Though remember when Grimoire first beta-ed it was very poorly received and has since seen a LOT of work and polish to get it to the point where folks have a reason to be genuinely excited. They're being careful with it since its all new. This probably just built from its interface framework a nice port opportunity to put sotn on the mobile market before season 3 of castlevania hits on thursday.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
It's disappointing that the iOS version is only iPhone/iPad compatible and lacks Apple TV support (and I just realized it now, but I wish that Final Fantasy Tactics supported it too). Mirroring surely adds too much latency.
Hopefully this is a good sign that they are willing to bring it to other platforms like Switch & Steam… though this is not really the version I'd want.
Based on the PSP/PS4 versions
That's a shame.
enlighten me how anyone can do the soul steal move using a touch screen.
I found the spells easier using a Steam Controller than a DualShock 4. That controller has a tendency to lock into diagonals when using circular inputs.
I'm sure it'll be fine on a touchscreen even without haptic feedback.

OP
OP
AlexFlame116

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Might want to add to the first post a fun thing I found upon starting the game...

As soon as you go to input your name it tells you input Richter to play as him or Maria to play as her! No need to new game plus this time just pick who you wanna be! Maria was never in the psx version but was in Dracula x and other ports. Great you can enjoy these so folks who never unlocked them or who just never played them because of the long unlock requirements rejoice!
Sorry just woke up! That's super cool! I'll threadmark this and add it to the OP too!

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't get much time to check the game on the train this morning, but the Android port seems solid, and for a ridiculously good price too.

Ordered an 8bitdo Lite controller for portable use, do the on-screen controls hide when a controller is in use?

Delriach

Combat Designer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The touch screen controls feel like they are from an era of very early iOS ports. Super terrible and require a lot of precision without any room for error. Can't change the location either so I find myself missing the attack button often.

Spazerbeam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
The new localization being used for this immediately makes it worthless. Maybe one day they'll patching the good one but it's konami so...

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, It's on Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles
In addition to what everyone here has said before know that you have to unlock it strangely enough in Dracula x chronicles for PSP by playing Rondo of Blood to a certain point and choosing to take an alternate route. It's a route on stage 3 and an item there unlocks sotn. This version had new voice stuff and also you could unlock Maria mode after beating the game.
I honestly missed the psx bad acting and translation though. Iconic hearing "nyahaha thank you" I. That stupid voice shopping with the librarian. Plus richters voice work in the opening vs dracula...classic.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Still waiting on the right port, doesn't seem to be it.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Wow this works rather well with touch controls, really enjoying it. It's so cheap, too! Really a must buy.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Wow this works rather well with touch controls, really enjoying it. It's so cheap, too! Really a must buy.
I know right? I usually hate touch controls on a phone on ports. Have to use a key mapper and my ipega controller grip usually but this port. SOLID.
I like this.

Nosgoroth

Oct 26, 2017
Spain
Is it just me or is the music just a tad slower than it should be? Not just slower, I think it's also slightly pitched down, which... is what would happen if you slowed the music down without pitch correction. I think I only noticed because I've listened to the soundtrack a lot.

iPhone XS Max, tested on headphones over BT and with the phone speakers.

Cronogear

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much a no brainer for $3, especially with controller support.

Hopefully we get the GBA and DS games ported too.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Richter mode is so fun. Often you just get too burned out for the new game + character runs by the time you finish a castlevania title. Now I'm flying through the air with Richters godlike multidash attack. Seriously dont have to land. You can dash forever with blades around you.

Love it.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Just WHY is there no switch port of this? Is there a PS4/XBox version that was release some while ago?
But yeah, even with that, the price would probably be 10-20€. Probably just the positive side of mobile gaming...

How are thetouchscreen controls? I remember trying games on phones and never liking theoverlay controls. And i am not interested in having a gamepad for mobile + keeping it with me.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Just WHY is there no switch port of this? Is there a PS4/XBox version that was release some while ago?
But yeah, even with that, the price would probably be 10-20€. Probably just the positive side of mobile gaming...

How are thetouchscreen controls? I remember trying games on phones and never liking theoverlay controls. And i am not interested in having a gamepad for mobile + keeping it with me.
I always hate touchscreen controls. I bought an ipega grip due to that.

This games touchscreen though is great. First touchscreen port or title I've ever enjoyed. Layout has a big jump on the right with your attacks surrounding it and they're so big they dont end up with gaps and missed at all when rolling off the jump button to hit em. Dpad is large too. Thing is it doesnt block critical screen real estate somehow. Good layout, fast responsive and accurate. I can do all the crazy combat and maneuvering easily on this same as on controller.

DRock

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why does this feel like it's in fast forward? The intro scrawl also was faster than the voice (why is there voice here???) reading. On Pixel 4.

Amnixia

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
I hope I don't get a warning for port begging, but if you're gonna release it on iOS and Android then just release it on Switch too.

Especially for that price.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
I hope I don't get a warning for port begging, but if you're gonna release it on iOS and Android then just release it on Switch too.

Especially for that price.

It exists in the same microcosm as the PS4 release of SotN/Rondo.

That is, to serve as a quick marketing piece for that year's season of Castlevania. We didn't see the PS4 collection go elsewhere, so I doubt we'll see SotN on other platforms beyond what it's working on right now.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Tried it earlier on my iPad Pro 11 with DualShock 4 controller. Works flawlessly!

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Ordered an 8bitdo Lite controller for portable use, do the on-screen controls hide when a controller is in use?
I'm playing on a Pixel 3a XL with an 8BitDo SN30. Yes, the on-screen controls automatically hide when the game detects a controller. I could be wrong, but I don't think the 8BitDo Lite will pair with an Android or iOS device, FYI.

It was released on PlayStation 4 in a two-pack alongside Rondo. A lot of people (myself included) assumed that it wouldn't hit other systems, as it was believed that Konami had used a PS4-compatible PSP emulator created by Sony to make the release possible in the first place. That said, this port sort of gives me hope that this will see a release on other systems. While I hate the fact that this version is based on the Dracula X Chronicles version of SotN, I have to say that I like the redone menus. The menus were previously never really finished in SotN, so we were always stuck with an ugly placeholder design. While that doesn't really make up for the horrible sound emulation in this version, I still can't help but wonder what sort of quality of life improvements could be added into another re-release.

As for the touch screen controls...

I hate the d-pad, as it's too big to the point that you'll sometimes just have trouble finding certain directions on it in the heat of combat. Also, the jump button is large and easy to hit, but the other buttons are quite small and spaced out in a way that makes them easy to miss. Honestly, I would've preferred to have a dynamic d-pad that re-positioned itself in real-time so you wouldn't have to worry about its accuracy. And it'd be nice if you could just rearrange and resize the other buttons.

That said, I've switched to playing with an 8BitDo SN30 controller, and it's an improvement in terms of accuracy, obviously, but it introduces a noticeable amount of input lag.

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
My friend would be all over this if she enjoyed phone gaming. :( This does increase the chances of a Switch port though imo, so I'm happy.

Daigoro

Oct 28, 2017
notes say this has achievements for Android?

are these in-game, or Google Play achievements?

Why does this feel like it's in fast forward? The intro scrawl also was faster than the voice (why is there voice here???) reading. On Pixel 4.

its says in the notes that Pixel 4 users should turn off Smooth Display. see if that helps.

deltabreak

Oct 29, 2017
Why is this incompatible with my device?? I'm even using the same phone as someone in the reviews (Pocophone F1)

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I previously told you that I didn't think the 8BitDo Lite worked on Android. I ended up trying it, and it seems to work just fine as long as you have it set to Switch mode, as I assume it's just detected as a DirectInput controller at that point. Interestingly, the input lag is pretty much unnoticeable when using the 8BitDo Lite in this game, and the button mapping is better, as the face buttons match the layout from the PlayStation original in terms of function, and all four directions of the second d-pad bring up the map, making it much more convenient to access in a pinch.