• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Finally got around to watching it. Yet another fantastic season, and clearly setup for future events. Can't wait for season 4!

Also, why can't they just let my man Alucard be happy? Damn it sucked to watch that betrayal. Let my man live! I personally didn't even see the betrayal coming, which made it all the more depressing. I feel really bad for Hector as well. This poor dude is fucked. I hope he finds a way out of this mess.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I get what they were going for, but at the end it really felt like we missed a scene with the twins. The conversation they had before about "giving Alucard his reward" after talking about how he probably wants to die for killing his father seemed like enough of a twisted justification. When they started accusing him of lying to them and talked about building an empire I felt like it just came out of nowhere.

Also regarding Hector, Lenore is a serial abuser and I really hope they don't try to sugarcoat their relationship going forward. She spent the entire season gaslighting him into believing the suffering he endured under Carmilla was justified, and that actually he wanted this all along. And now she's joking with her sisters about raping him as her own personal sex slave. I've read some theories that she'll end up falling for him for real and her death by Isaac's hand will be the catalyst for the Curse of Darkness season, but honestly she is one of the most despicable characters in the series thus far and if the writers treat their relationship a anything other than abuse and rape it's going to be really gross.

Pundere

Oct 30, 2017
Definitely the worst of the three seasons imo. Felt like you could cut out four or five episodes and lose nothing. The village arc in particular was literally 8 episodes of "Hey I think those obviously evil monks might be up to some evil stuff!" until it is revealed that they are in fact up to some evil stuff.

The end to Alucard's side plot felt like it came out of nowhere and made the whole thing seem pointless.

Hector is still a gullible dipshit.

Isaac's part was the best, really interested to see where it goes. They're obviously setting up a confrontation between him and the Vampire sisters, but I'm not sure how you stretch that a whole season. He's already got the materials for an army and a way to teleport right?

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
Season was great.

Alucard sub-plot was terrible, and doesn't even make sense. The vampire they wanted to train to defeat is already dead? "I guess we'll just train to defeat other vampires or something" *rolls eys*

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Season was great.

Alucard sub-plot was terrible, and doesn't even make sense. The vampire they wanted to train to defeat is already dead? "I guess we'll just train to defeat other vampires or something" *rolls eys*
I think the plan was to kill other vampires who were eager to take over the mantle? It wasn't very clear. Alucard's plotline was still terribly written though.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Thoroughly enjoyed the season.

We see Dracula in hell with his wife. I know the plot of other games has him come back, but that seems like it wouldn't make much sense anymore. His entire reason for anger was his wife being killed. Now that he's reunited with her, what reason would he have to want to come back?

Didn't anyone else notice that the depiction of hell was straight out of Dante's Inferno?

I'm talking about the various shots we saw as the portal opened and we saw different landscapes like the ice lake and the forest. If you pay attention to the forest those are all human bodies petrified into trees. And that lake will have a bunch of humans underneath the surface in agony.

That version of hell is always torturing people. Being reunited there isn't a blessing but a curse if I'm right about the reference.

Oct 31, 2017
I just binged the series in one single sitting.

Random observations:

- Lenore is the surprise of the season for me. It's one thing to introduce a character as "good diplomat and someone who can play people like violins" as an "informed ability", it's another to actually show at every step in a convincing way why she deserves her reputation.
- I think I loved basically every single major dialogue in the season...
- ...I'm a bit less thrilled about the amount of plot progression and all the narrative lines still on hold by the finale, especially with a fourth season far away.
- I honestly didn't like anything about the two brothers who were mentored by Alucard. They felt constantly out of place to me. I can't even exactly put my finger on it, but nothing of their subplot seemed to make sense, starting by the reason they searched for Alucard to begin with and going with their delirious justification for their final (and a bit too telegraphed) betrayal.
- The evil mage in the evil city that Isaac ended up crossing by chance felt a bit too convenient, given that with very little resistance and with virtually no moral compromise required offered chance to increase the size of his army tenfolds.
- I liked how the monastic cult was basically a bunch of yokels and cutthroats with little or no scholar knowledge and just a vague grasp of what they were actually doing. It gave them an unusual vibe.
- It felt to me that both Saint-Germain and the cultist leader were dismissed a bit too quickly. At least I'm glade the latter didn't have to go through the predictable cliche of turning into a scary monster in time for the final battle, but I was hoping for him to play a bigger role as a character, especially because he had potential.

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly the whole Alucard plot should of just not happened at all. They could of put more time with any other character.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking the Alucard plot would lead to Genya Arikado. But I guess he still has a good several hundred years before he does that.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Definitely the worst of the three seasons imo. Felt like you could cut out four or five episodes and lose nothing. The village arc in particular was literally 8 episodes of "Hey I think those obviously evil monks might be up to some evil stuff!" until it is revealed that they are in fact up to some evil stuff.

The end to Alucard's side plot felt like it came out of nowhere and made the whole thing seem pointless.

Hector is still a gullible dipshit.

Isaac's part was the best, really interested to see where it goes. They're obviously setting up a confrontation between him and the Vampire sisters, but I'm not sure how you stretch that a whole season. He's already got the materials for an army and a way to teleport right?
This is the best summary haha

Like I expected something else in the church because it was so obvious and because "The Judge" was obviously up to something, but instead we got the very obvious. Was perplexing.

Oct 31, 2017
On a minor note, I have to say across this third season I was growing a bit annoyed of how self-righteous Isaac was acting, while not being really that much better of the other "terrible humans" that seem to disgust him so much.
And I have no idea of what kind of welcoming party he was expecting by walking inside crowded human settlements with an army of infernal beasts.

Deleted member 15227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The dialogue and its delivery is still something that rubs me the wrong way. You could give the dialogue and the mannerisms to different characters and it would all still fit. It didn't really matter who was speaking those lines because it was all so similar.

Oct 31, 2017
The dialogue and its delivery is still something that rubs me the wrong way. You could give the dialogue and the mannerisms to different characters and it would all still fit. It didn't really matter who was speaking those lines because it was all so similar.
Nah, didn't really felt that.
I mean, you could tell there was the same "pen" behind a lot of witty dialogues, but i think they were all more than appropriately distinct according to the characters who were speaking at any given moment.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I don't really see that as the case. Alucard's mannerisms and dialogue would not work for Trevor any more than his dialogue or style would sound natural for Isaac. They're very different characters.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Like someone else on this page, I thought the subplot with Alucard would tie in some way to Mina's family/clan in Aria of Sorrow. It would at least have justified it better. The end of that subplot was really fucking dumb and made no sense, it came out of nowhere and didn't fit at all with the dialogues the brother and sister had before.
I absolutely loved this season but that part was so off the mark that I felt like it had been written by someone else than Ellis.

My only other complaint is that Trevor Morris isn't doing a great job with the music imo. I mean it's serviceable, and it supports the action scenes well, but even during those, they're kind of... generic. Even when he uses parts of the games soundtrack, they sound weaksauce compared to the source material. There's an incredible range of styles in the game series. I understand they want to give the show a more moody atmosphere perhaps, but as far as that goes, Óscar Araujo did a way better job with Lords of Shadow. Incredible stuff in that game.
It's a shame though, because Trevor Morris has the most Castlevania name ever. I even wondered if it had played a part in the choice for the composer :p (tbf I thought the same when I saw his name in the credits of the shitty Dracula series in 2013 with Jonathan Rhys Meyers).

Deleted member 15227

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, didn't really felt that.
I mean, you could tell there was the same "pen" behind a lot of witty dialogues, but i think they were all more than appropriately distinct according to the characters who were speaking at any given moment.

I don't really see that as the case. Alucard's mannerisms and dialogue would not work for Trevor any more than his dialogue or style would sound natural for Isaac. They're very different characters.

Just a feeling that I haven't been able to shake since the first couple of seasons. But yep, the 'same pen' is an apt description of how I'm feeling it.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Sypha is a fucking boss on this show, and it was really highlighted just how OP she could be in this season.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Hmm, surprised that reactions here are generally positive. The show looks amazing but I'm just bored to death by it. 5 episodes in, and I'm watching a scene with Belmont sitting by a pond, pondering his life with a random mayor of a town. Prior to that, I get Alucard talking to dolls because he's so bored and lonely, Eye rolling awkward, relationshipy conversations from Sypha, and throw off character St. Germain reading books in a shit filled satanic church. (which btw Belmont and Sypha could and should have just kicked everyones asses in there asap and stop whatever evil they are planning but nope! Let them wander around this town aimlessly doing fuck all).
Maybe next episode we'll be able to see more of Hector nude, getting tortured, his ass kicked, while eating more rotten food ....

This season sucks so far.

Oct 25, 2017
Man, it feels like this season made way less of a splash than last season, with last season it seemed like everyone was sharing the bloody tears moment

Ultratech

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished watching it...that was something at least.
  • The "main" plot with the Monks was fine enough, except it definitely felt dragged out for no good reason. (No shit the monks are up to something bad!) The fight scenes for the last episode or two were pretty damn awesome though.
  • I kinda have to agree with other people about the Alucard subplot...it was pretty pointless and the betrayal seemed a bit out of left field. (There was some minor foreshadowing that something was up since they kept bugging him about the Castle being able to move again.)
  • The Issac story was pretty good, though I'll agree with that the city w/the Wizard seemed AWFULLY convenient. Especially since he just happened to have a mirror. Other than that, I liked it.
  • As for the Vampires...well, it was obvious what they were trying to do from the start, it was just a matter of what was going to happen. That said, Lenore definitely had her shit pretty well thought out.

RedHand

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the season. I loved seasons 1 and 2, and I'd still say this was pretty good (with some wonderfully animated action), but definitely well below the bar of previous seasons.

I fully agree with the criticisms of the pacing and ultimate "point" of each arc that folks have pointed out already (why does it take 8 episodes to realize the monks are doing something evil? why does it take 10 episodes to enslave Hector? why even have Alucard's plot at all?).

I also found that each of this season's major arcs started to feel pretty disparate in tone; the psychodrama of Lenore's manipulation of Hector, the simple mystery and action of the Trevor/Sypha/St. Germain plot, Isaac's travels filled with solemn and philosophical conversations, and… whatever Alucard's plot was supposed to be. All strike much different balances between dark drama and camp (with Alucard and Isaac's plots mostly being on opposite ends of the spectrum and the other two falling somewhere around the middle). The jumps between them sometimes felt jarring.

But the show still has some incredible moments. I don't recall finding Isaac to be super compelling in season 2, but he anchors a lot of this season's best scenes. His conversation with the philosopher-turned-night-creature at the end of episode 6 was just so haunting and brilliant—an awesome showcase of Warren Ellis going all out in a way that reminded me of Transmetropolitan.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
On a minor note, I have to say across this third season I was growing a bit annoyed of how self-righteous Isaac was acting, while not being really that much better of the other "terrible humans" that seem to disgust him so much.
And I have no idea of what kind of welcoming party he was expecting by walking inside crowded human settlements with an army of infernal beasts.

Well, Dracula was kind of a self-righteous asshole too.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the season. I loved seasons 1 and 2, and I'd still say this was pretty good (with some wonderfully animated action), but definitely well below the bar of previous seasons.

I fully agree with the criticisms of the pacing and ultimate "point" of each arc that folks have pointed out already (why does it take 8 episodes to realize the monks are doing something evil? why does it take 10 episodes to enslave Hector? why even have Alucard's plot at all?).

The third season isn't about machine gunning through major plot points and action scenes. The season took time to get to those resolutions and in the process have us character growth, world building, a foundation for future narratives and so much more. This stuff is all vital to a good story and is directly dealing with big complaints about the first two seasons like most of the villains barely even having any lines, character or purpose but to fight the heroes at the end.

RedHand

Oct 27, 2017
The third season isn't about machine gunning through major plot points and action scenes. The season took time to get to those resolutions and in the process have us character growth, world building, a foundation for future narratives and so much more. This stuff is all vital to a good story and is directly dealing with big complaints about the first two seasons like most of the villains barely even having any lines, character or purpose but to fight the heroes at the end.
I'm all for giving characters room to think and develop (I thought Isaac's arc was fantastic). But they still need to navigate scenarios that are interesting and justify the amount of time they take to resolve. The show makes it pretty apparent what's going on in Lindenfell within a few episodes; watching Trevor, Sypha, and St. Germain lag 2 or 3 episodes behind the audience in understanding this isn't all that compelling, nor does it develop them in a super meaningful way. And while there is an arc to Lenore/Hector and Alucard/Sumi/Taka's stories, they don't progress all that much or flesh out the characters until the last couple episodes.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
someone needs to run a fight scene through the AI 60fps upscaler. I wonder what that would look like. I love this show but the fight animation is very jerky.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Finally watched it.

The village arc works as its own self-contained season. Nice classic-style gothic-themed mystery story.

The Issac and Hector arcs work as build-up to season 4, but Hector has been the most gullible motherfucker since he first appeared in season 1.

Alucard's arc was just... them figuring out something for him to do all season? That character development didn't need 10 episodes devoted to it. Also, Deats confirmed the two Japanese kids are NOT siblings.

Oct 27, 2017
Late to the party, but dug this season. Not as good as season 2, but not terrible. I don't want to harp on points hit over and over in the thread, so I'll leave 3 questions below:

Throughout the season, Sypha and Trevor mention the "pirate of the road" with a boat on wheels. Is that meant to be Grant?

Towards the end, I believe when Sypha and Trevor are talking about how the situation is similar to something one of his ancestors spoke of, while he doesn't name names, he uses the word "she" to describe them. Is this hinting that Sonia from Castlevania Legends might be canon again?

Finally, and this might seem simple, but why is Lisa in hell with Dracula? In both the anime and game canon, she was a healer and doctor that tried to help the vampire king regain his humanity until she was wrongfully accused of witchcraft.

So why is she in eternal damnation?

Sorry if answered elsewhere

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Late to the party, but dug this season. Not as good as season 2, but not terrible. I don't want to harp on points hit over and over in the thread, so I'll leave 3 questions below:

Throughout the season, Sypha and Trevor mention the "pirate of the road" with a boat on wheels. Is that meant to be Grant?

Towards the end, I believe when Sypha and Trevor are talking about how the situation is similar to something one of his ancestors spoke of, while he doesn't name names, he uses the word "she" to describe them. Is this hinting that Sonia from Castlevania Legends might be canon again?

Finally, and this might seem simple, but why is Lisa in hell with Dracula? In both the anime and game canon, she was a healer and doctor that tried to help the vampire king regain his humanity until she was wrongfully accused of witchcraft.

So why is she in eternal damnation?

Sorry if answered elsewhere

To number 3
Isaac's conversation with FlyEyes might be helpful. He talks about how he went to hell for just studying Philosophy. Though that's also up for debate because he sold out his other philosophers in order to spare his own life, which seems pretty hell worthy. But essentially, if philosophy is really enough to get you sent to hell then being married to Dracula and practicing science that is forbidden by the church is more than enough reason to go to hell.

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Y'know, on the subject of Lisa, I thought it'd work better if she wasn't in hell with Dracula. His eternal torture would be never having her back in his life and would be a constant fuel for his hatred of humanity. That way if/whenever he's brought back, there's some motivation as to why he would want to stay on Earth. To keep taking revenge on humanity. I'm curious to see though how things play out if Dracula is ever brought back.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
To number 3
Isaac's conversation with FlyEyes might be helpful. He talks about how he went to hell for just studying Philosophy. Though that's also up for debate because he sold out his other philosophers in order to spare his own life, which seems pretty hell worthy. But essentially, if philosophy is really enough to get you sent to hell then being married to Dracula and practicing science that is forbidden by the church is more than enough reason to go to hell.

You are correct.

Nevertheless it was not philosophy what sent him to hell but laying under torture/ fear of death, basically he pulled a San Peter. In this world a similar rationale applies to Lisa....unless they change it in later seasons

awilliams213

Oct 27, 2017
CT
Finished S3 last night another well done season. Major props to the writers I really enjoyed the quiet moments when 2 characters were just talking ex. the boat trip and the prison chats. Then the last couple of episodes the animators got to go wild.

Deleted member 60582

Banned
Oct 12, 2019
What a wet fart of a season, god damn. I did enjoy episodes 9-10 but everything leading up to that was just a big old pile of nothing. No reason for it to be 10 episodes at all.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like given how each season has played out I'm not sure why anyone is expecting non stop action at this point. It's a decidedly dialogue and character focused show with moments of intense action smattered through out.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I still don't understand why people is saying it was a bad season?

The show is still really really good and is still giving everyone what they want. Action, intrigue, back story, character development...it's like all the action mongers are pissed cause they actually have to understand the story now or something. I don't get it.

Take Isaac for instance, he is pretty much the back bone of season 3. His story is great. But you also got cool action scenes and sequences too from Sypha & Trevor. See, something for everyone.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i like the way the show looks, but the animation always looks janky as hell. just regular movement looks wrong.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll put it this way: I expect 80% of season 4, at the very least, to be conversations, character building and similar style scenes with action kept to a minimum except for a few scenes like the climax.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'll put it this way: I expect 80% of season 4, at the very least, to be conversations, character building and similar style scenes with action kept to a minimum except for a few scenes like the climax.

NO

I WANT MAH ACTION AND SMASH AND MAH SOTN 1:1 ADAPTATION HUR.

NO PLOTS THAT GO NOWHERE. ALUCARD BEING RAPED? PFFF POINTLESS

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Not reading the thread yet cause I don't wanna be spoiled but just finished episode 7 and ahhhhhhhhh this show is the best. Can't wait to see how it finishes