• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Best joke of the season for me was probably:

ESWg7G1WkAE1hqo

ESWg8PJWkAAiLYa

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
On the final stretch which got very Ellis very fast:
Planetary and Warren´s other Wildstorm works were all about Multiverses:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleed_(comics)
BUT Castlevania has its own one anyway. That is why Saint Germain showed up too, who was in Curse of Darkness anyway. Is Lenore supposed to be a fucked up take on Hector´s fiance (they even exchanged "rings") or is she the Succubus from SotN. Or both? Hm. Back on track. Then there is the Bootleg Universe thing so I fully expected such a reveal. That DMC show better happen and Dante also crossed dimensions.
This is as much a Castlevania reinterpretation as it is deeply rooted in the style of Shankar and more importantly Ellis who wrote every ep. Reading his comics will further help you to understand why the show is filled with scumbags and why no one is having a good time. Trevor´s final line in S03 is the grand thesis of his works. Life is a shitty rat race and then you die. I wouldn´t have it any other way. Especially in a horror show.
I am actually so steeped in his oeuvre that I predicted every plot twist as they came and even finished some lines as the characters were saying them.

A good way to get started on his comics at only 48 pages and good luck with FreakAngels on Crunchyroll Mr. Ellis, you deserve it:

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
So, Alucard going Dracula 2.0 and ending up the Villain of S4 before going to sleep until SotN or a red herring?

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Only five episodes in but I really appreciate how many more classic Vania monsters are in this season. I recognized three of the four that attacked the wagon in the first episode, and there's a ton of classics later on too.

Also is the Sea Monk in one of the games and I don't remember, because that guy is a fantastic deep cut beastiary pull if they were just picking him out from non-Castlevania beastiaries.

Deleted member 32679

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
The Alucard sex scene felt rapey with the whole mentor dynamic. I felt uncomfortable during that scene. But that Lenore and Hector sequence was steamy af.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So, Alucard going Dracula 2.0 and ending up the Villain of S4 before going to sleep until SotN or a red herring?

I think it's setting up to explain why Alucard doesn't get involved with shit until SOTN.

This was a really good season. People saying: "It's filler" but miss that this...

1. Introduces the concept that Dracula can be resurrected to viewers who aren't just game watchers, and it almost succeeds.
2. Breaks Sypha of the illusion that somehow they can have "clean fun" and that shit will go south and go bad
3. Alucard getting betrayed by the two siblings pushes him in a direction like his father of which he previous never considered.
4. Isaac's goal isn't as simple as it was before. The whole Captain scenes are there to set up potential doubt or actually going for conquest rather than annihilation.
5. Hector is the only one that feels a little complicated to simply pin down. In some ways he's basically exactly where he was at the start of the season but at least this sets up how Carmilla can actually stand a chance. Guessing this will ultimately make it waaaay more cathartic when he gets his revenge.
6. Introduces Carmilla's allies. Rather than the Generals of last season, these aren't characters introduced and killed in the same season. They actually have a lot more character to them and so it will make them losing more impactful.
7. Safe to assume the Germain stuff will return since his last words is that he will see them again. Also potentially allowing him to show up to aid other belmonts.

While it's technically possible this could have been in another season but shortened... Seasons like this are typically needed to allow later seasons to actually work otherwise they would be throwing too much and this season was ALREADY stuffed with a lot.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So still no sign of us moving on to Rondo and Symphony any time soon I take?

(Sigh)I'm never getting my Aria series.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
Castlevania Season 3 is very good but very upsetting. Mostly because it wants to be upsetting, but I finish the season unsatisfied and unenthusiastic for the future despite enjoying my time with it and thinking it's the best season so far.

:/
Pretty much. I feel pretty conflicted about S3. Need some more time to think about it I guess. I wouldn't call it filler, but it sure was a whole lot of setup. I hope it all pays off in a big way down the line.

And yeah, this season was pretty upsetting.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
I say red hearing and he didn´t do anything "bad" in the end. It´s not like he ate them alive and he gave them an out. He lives in papa Vlad´s castle, he might as well put up the required decorations. It's kinda nice to give him some edge too. His game version is too squeaky clean. Nearly all of them are, outside maybe the LoS versions. LoS 1 was good btw but stop there.

I had fun looking at the comments under Schedeen´s 10/10 review as he tends to bring out the worst out of IGN´s community. He is a decent enough reviewer btw.
strg + f for the one complaining about "Templars didn't have slaves". Sure Jan.gif That pesky SJW writer Warren Ellis (a very progressive writer of course and his casts are always filled with bisexual hedonists) ruined the Templars so I´ll boycott S3. What a takeaway! My Senpai Netflix Can't Be This Liberal.
Wait till those people find out that he made alternate universe Batman gay and then black AND gay in a reboot. But they would celebrate that Midnighter is a paramilitary fascist, that´s for sure. To think that I got barley filtered Ellis writing through a Castlevania cartoon! Even the bestiality jokes continued. What a world.

I wonder if anyone at Konami Japan watches this as the show now raised certain expectations on how their IP is supposed to feel and sound due to this toon. Oh wait, they went there already:
Castlevania-Pachinko-640x353.png

Voror

Oct 25, 2017

It's a possible direction. It definitely felt like a deliberate callback to how the castle was when Lisa first met Dracula. Could just as well be he just isolates himself and sleeps until SotN, but I can't think he won't appear again in season 4. Hopefully Trevor and Sypha can cheer him up.

I wonder if they're ever going to really play into the whole notion of the castle being this almost living entity with all these different environments or just keep it as it is.

Deleted member 52442

Banned
Jan 24, 2019
i have concluded that

the developments of the judge being a serial killer were unnecessary and ruined a likable character to no great effect

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
i have concluded that

the developments of the judge being a serial killer were unnecessary and ruined a likable character to no great effect

I liked this post on Reddit regarding him.

The Judge was a messed up person on purpose. He craved order in life and there are so many people all with their individual stories, and individual desires. Stories that conflicted with his desire for order, his desire for cooperation where people are more than the sums of their parts if they cooperate.

The Judge thus got a twisted desire out of "being god" where if they will not obey his little town, his little eden, he would tell them a secret and it is up to them to operate on it aka choose. Seek out the Apple Tree, and you will die, and thus order is restored for everyone in the town obeyed the sick and twisted judge or they died.

The whole point of the story of the Judge is that evil is all around us, it is not just monsters brought to Earth from Hell via Forgemasters. Note it exist everywhere for we humans have desire and we are willing to harm others, betray them, break their trust, etc in order to be vain and fufill both the silly and profound desires.

The smallness of the serial killer, the Judge's vanity, is the entire point.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the first two episodes and kind of confused.

Did Sypha and Trevor become a couple off screen between Season 2 and Season 3?

Deleted member 52442

Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I liked this post on Reddit regarding him.

The Judge was a messed up person on purpose. He craved order in life and there are so many people all with their individual stories, and individual desires. Stories that conflicted with his desire for order, his desire for cooperation where people are more than the sums of their parts if they cooperate.

The Judge thus got a twisted desire out of "being god" where if they will not obey his little town, his little eden, he would tell them a secret and it is up to them to operate on it aka choose. Seek out the Apple Tree, and you will die, and thus order is restored for everyone in the town obeyed the sick and twisted judge or they died.

The whole point of the story of the Judge is that evil is all around us, it is not just monsters brought to Earth from Hell via Forgemasters. Note it exist everywhere for we humans have desire and we are willing to harm others, betray them, break their trust, etc in order to be vain and fufill both the silly and profound desires.

The smallness of the serial killer, the Judge's vanity, is the entire point.

i dont hate that, but thats the same dude who tolerated weird and mentally ill people slowly invading his town, and the priests who were clearly off their rocker and turned into devil worshippers?

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will say about the Judge that
genuinely surprised it wasn't Zead. Felt like they had the perfect opening in this season to introduce Dracula's greatest worshipper and servant.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the first two episodes and kind of confused.

Did Sypha and Trevor become a couple off screen between Season 2 and Season 3?

It was heavily heavily implied by the ending of S2.

i dont hate that, but thats the same dude who tolerated weird and mentally ill people slowly invading his town, and the priests who were clearly off their rocker and turned into devil worshippers?

Remember that...

He said his control didn't extend to the priory. So he only had to tolerate them due to that. Everyone else was in his control.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
The Alucard sex scene felt rapey with the whole mentor dynamic. I felt uncomfortable during that scene. But that Lenore and Hector sequence was steamy af.

The whole thing was creepy to me. Also the fact they are brother and sister. I was always expecting them to betray him but god damn not like that.

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to be that guy, but I fully acknowledge and take responsibility for the fact that I am-

there was totally a JoJo reference

The stone mask that the merchant was polishing in, I think it was the second episode? Has the traditional little head curl that araki drew for phantom blood
its a twofer, the same mask in on the iga vania games as equipment, as a reference to JoJo

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Ultimately I feel this is the kind of season that will have people going after Season 4 is out: "Oh this only works because of the leg work that Season 3 put in"

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm on episode 6 and all I gotta say is come the fuck on Hector!
this dude is so fucking gullible! I know he's super fucking desperate and fucked up but he's gotta be smarter than this for a guy who worked for fucking Dracula.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Three episodes in and I love Lenore already.

Isaac is such a compelling character compared to his portrayal in the games. His conversation with the captain was fantastic.

Last edited:

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Alucard story just feel tack on IMO , like they want him to be in it but needed a reason .
Rest of the season was good.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok the second half of episode 6 where Saint Germain is dreaming and seeing all the different realities is prime Warren Ellis

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I like how these random town guards and militias are acting like they can stand a damn chance against Issac and his beasties. End of episode 4 one of the milita men looked at his buddy like oh shit did he say Dracula? We're fucked.

Plus the captain was cool as hell

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Can someone answer me this .

Haven't watched it yet but does

Dante make an appearance?

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
During Germain's dream sequence with the pyramid and the people running towards it (with colored running lights/fire?):
Was that a reference to something? I swear something about that run a bell

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Man that was... ok. Just ok. Seems kind of rudderless, a series of meandering side stories. And a major fucking downer overall.

Also, question:
Why the blue hell did the twins rape and attempt to kill Alucard? Did I just completely miss that bit of exposition? They were just angry that he wasn't powering them up fast enough?

Last edited:

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
One of my favorite scenes was:

Hector's discussion with the fly eyed demon. That was creepy as hell.

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the whole season.

Oh man, that was a rough season. In a good way though.
Poor Alucard... this likely leads to the event where he sleeps until Symphony right?
The Judge being a killer made sense. It was really suspect when he told that boy to "go out in the middle of the woods", after bringing up that he told him to stop running 20 times. He was really dedicated to "order".
Isaac fighting Legion was awesome though. Same with Trevor and Sypha fighting a lot of those monsters (including that Cthulhu one from the games)
Hector is a fucking moron. Makes me wonder if Curse of Darkness will be properly adapted.
Either way, I see next season as the end of Trevor's story. Simon in Season 5 (maybe).