• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, I was never a huge fan of the show (I'm mainly in it for the action and don't really care for the characters or the lore), so this season felt disappointing - like one big setup for S4. Which would be fine if I was invested in this world, but I'm not, so...meh

I really didn't care for Alucard's part of this season. I feel like there was the
Heavy Rain problem going on with the two Japanese kids. Like if they were going through all of that and had murderous intent towards Alucard, why would none of that be discussed during their moment alone. Instead it's them still talking about Alucard in a positive light. Like I saw a betrayal coming a mile away, but the reasons and their motivations just kind of came out of nowhere.
I think calling the entire season "setup and character development" is a little too generous, considering I feel like there was almost none of it, and what little there was, felt more or less established by the first episode or so.

I enjoyed it somewhat, but mostly because it was so bafflingly dull, with a lot of jarring left turns that didn't really serve much of a point to me in the end.

I sure do hope they make a season 4, and I'll watch it for sure, but I gotta say, I'm not waiting at the edge of my seat for it.

I agree with all of this

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
I just binge watched Seasons 1-3. Will mostly talk about Season 3:

Overall I like the show, but seeing Season 3, I feel like they should have kept Dracula as the focus for a little longer, using Season 2 for more build up (the way they built up the antagonists in Season 3 for the next Season). Season 3 comes off like they didn't know what to do with the main cast of characters. Alucard's story just felt pointless, especially when it all lead up to a sex scene in between battle clips and Alucard getting two "scarecrows". Belmont's story didn't seem important at all and the dialogue between the different characters got to the point where it felt like all the characters were the same "snarky/smart ass" person talking to him/herself with different accents.

Hector and the Ice Vampires was "decent" story wise and I liked learning details about the 4 Vampires, but it was clear where the story with Hector was going and just built up to the next season. Isaac overall was the most enjoyable storyline in season 3 with him building his army and wanting to find reasons to believe in humans/meeting likable humans. Plus he had the majority of the decent fights/action. Season 4 wise, I'm looking forward to Issac and seeing where the Ice Vampire story will go. Hopefully the figure out what to do with Belmont and Alucard next time.

Deleted member 42472

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 21, 2018
I'll fully agree that this was all setup for Season 4.

That being said: I actually really liked it

Alucard's story was pointless. But I also kind of felt like Alucard himself has largely been pointless. He had the least development in season 2 but was supposed to carry it emotionally. I get that they need to establish him if this is going to be an anthology series but he just feels so ancillary. Although kudos to him for having a weird incesty threesome before using his apparently magic TK sword and teasing that Alucard might be the bad guy (he won't be).

As always, Trevor and Sypha are amazing. If this lasts long enough to go anthology then Richter had better be full CVRPG levels of douche-baggery to compensate for them not being around. And them as a couple is weirdly adorable for something that felt so forced in Season 2. When I inevitably rewatch this it will mostly be for them. Even if it felt a bit weird that they seemed to have a much harder time with some castoff of Isaac's first army than they did Dracula himself. The village seemed to go from zero to shit overnight (because it did...) but I kind of like it. With Sypha it felt a lot like Trevor is just an a-hole. But getting a glimpse in to what Trevor's life was before Season 1 and how he became the way he is built on a lot of the themes of Season 2 in a way I really liked. Season 2 very much built up the idea of all three of them being a product of their upbringing. Sypha is perky but understands the world hates her. Alucard is a kid who is disillusioned with the knowledge that his father is an abomination. And Trevor is the man who has been beaten down endlessly by the world but refuses to stay down. I really hope Season 4 builds on that.

As for Isaac: I REALLY liked that depiction of Legion. That aside... I didn't really need to spend that much time with him. It felt like they were trying to tease a face turn (or at least a less genocidal turn) but apparently a few rude guards and Bug-crates were enough to crank him back up to mega-genocide.

But if Trevor and Sypha were the most fun part (until we went full grimdark with dead kids), then I think Hector and the Quartet were the most interesting. Yeah, it was all setup. But with Season 2 mostly being "Carmilla is a mastermind. Oh, wait, no she isn't. And she is kind of stupid" it was nice to see that Team Lady Vamp is a team effort. For all the infighting of Dracula's court it was nice to see a well oiled machine that not only acknowledges each member's weaknesses but actively works to compensate for it. Very interested in how that plays out as I find The Quartet to be much less of a physical threat but a much more insidious and effective one. Lenore/Hector stuff was way too predictable but I kind of liked the "Dude. Don't put your dick in crazy. Don't put your dick in crazy. Yeah, that is what happens when you put your dick in crazy" aspect to it and I like that Hector transcended from a stupid kid into an angsty and hormonal teenager. Fully expect everything to collapse in season 4 as Lenore uses her magic rings to take over the quartet and gets murdered by Carmilla powering through the pain

Also:
We better find out that GODBRAND!!! escaped the hell portal when nobody was looking

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah...

It really does seem like they're going to wind up having Lenore make a power play against her sisters to prove once and for all that she's not to be underestimated. Even at the end of the season Carmilla was still treating her like an annoying child while Striga and Morana were impressed by her efforts - I wouldn't be surprised at all if Lenore starts gaining prominence among the four and that makes Carmilla mad.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah...

It really does seem like they're going to wind up having Lenore make a power play against her sisters to prove once and for all that she's not to be underestimated. Even at the end of the season Carmilla was still treating her like an annoying child while Striga and Morana were impressed by her efforts - I wouldn't be surprised at all if Lenore starts gaining prominence among the four and that makes Carmilla mad.

on lenore
there's gotta be more to the rings right? They seemed to just hand wave 'oh here are some spare rings so you all also control the creatures' and I feel she must have a power move in play using them if they ever go against her

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
on lenore
there's gotta be more to the rings right? They seemed to just hand wave 'oh here are some spare rings so you all also control the creatures' and I feel she must have a power move in play using them if they ever go against her
I will guess and say that her ring overrules the other sisters rings, and therefore she has the actual control of all the night creatures, and since they are so vital for their army and will be the majority of their forces, Lenore will make her move once they have the territories and the night creature count is at its highest.

I think her ring overruling the others makes a lot of sense, since to her, Hector is her pet, and therefore she owns him. Also this whole situation also opens up the possibility that, if Hector breaks out of the control of the ring, he would be in a very powerful position, setting him up perfectly for an encounter against Isaac.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
You know something's good when I keep thinking I've got more episodes to watch before then remembering that I already finished it (to my despair).

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
just finished

another banger of a season. i remain dumbstruck that this show exists and it is this good

as for the "filler" complaints... i dunno what some of yall are smoking. was relatively anti-climactic but assuming the show isn't ending anytime soon not every season needs to end with dracula exploding to a bloddy pulp with Bloody Tears blaring in the background

Gibbo

The Fallen
Nov 20, 2017
I know this is castlevania - but I find that this season, they really ramped up the sex, violence and the occult to an 11. Felt really uncomfortable watching it at times with the Wife. For reference, we enjoyed season 1 and 2 - and we were looking forward to 3.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
I know this is castlevania - but I find that this season, they really ramped up the sex, violence and the occult to an 11. Felt really uncomfortable watching it at times with the Wife. For reference, we enjoyed season 1 and 2 - and we were looking forward to 3.

the first season "attacked" christianity right away and dropped F bombs left and right. it was kind of mission statement this isn't going to be your standard cookie cutter pg-13 game adaptation (to which extent i'm kind of surprised konami greenlit it, but their chief concern these days is running gyms or whatever so kinda not surprised)

i thought the sex/violence/hail satan stuff was very non-gratuitous, pertinent to the story, and actually a step ahead of 80s/90s anime that inspired the show (of which sex and violence was usually shoved in your face non sequitur)

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to expand on this a bit. You missed a bit near the end :p

After Dracula dies by the hands of Trevor Belmont, he goes to sleep until 1797, when he senses there's no Belmont to stop Dracula. This is because Richter is possessed by Shaft. After SotN, Alucard eventually lives with Maria Renard, and during a period where the Belmonts could not wield the Vampire Killer - Richter is the last true heir until Julius, with a 200 year gap between the two - he creates the Alucard Spear, a weapon to compliment the "weakened function" of the Vampire Killer in its non-Belmont hands, until Dracula is prophesied to be resurrected in August of 1999. He hands the Alucard Spear to the Lecarde family while the Morris family holds the Vampire Killer until Julius finally uses it to defeat Dracula.

He's only ever really confirmed to be asleep between Dracula's Curse and Symphony of the Night. He's still around right after the events of that game with the radio drama Nocturne of Recollection, and is clearly around in the late 1800s as he creates the Alucard Spear to aid the Lecardes, as the danger of the Vampire Killer in non-Belmont hands starts to be known when Quincey Morris uses it. Unless I'm mistaken, Grimoire of Souls also implies Alucard knows of the Order of Ecclesia, so while he wasn't a part of that game, he was aware of the attempt to bring Dracula back.
Off topic but didn't know that Grimoire of Souls have plot and lore.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
I love this (depressing) season, especially the characters & voices of the vampire sisters, but OMFG it's laughable how many different accents are in this!
Like does almost every character need an accent from a different country? There's way too much!

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
I love this (depressing) season, especially the characters & voices of the vampire sisters, but OMFG it's laughable how many different accents are in this!
Like does almost every character need an accent from a different country? There's way too much!
Nah its great thst characters from different parts of the world are represented by voice actors of different backgrounds and nationalities. Adds a lot more flavor, character and authenticity when your globe trotting adventure actually represents the globe beyond just the anglosphere.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Watched the season over the weekend, pretty nice one. I think the last few episodes of season 2 put that still a bit above season 3, but it's a great season no matter.

Highlight chars for me were St. Germaine and Lenore. Especially the latter might be a much more evil witch than Carmilla. And of course, MVP Sypha.

Spoilers from now on:

Hector might be the most stupid person alive. Lenore didn't even have to try hard to play with him. Sure dude, just go ahead and fuck one of those vampires that keep you locked up and beaten just because she gave you some fruit and shoes. Dunno, but when she called him pet with her last sentence i simply thought "...Yeah, that about sums it up perfectly".

Runner-up dumbdumb is Alucard who let those hunters into his life and home with little to no care, up to getting sex-trapped similar to Hector ... and that out of pure loneliness. Don't understand why he simply didn't lock the castle and the Belmont estate up and went to look for Sypha and Trevor if he was missing them so much. Or went to sleep again.

I wonder where Isaac is going from here on, it seems his utter belief in Dracula was shaken quite a bit.
Speaking of his story, am i the only one who was disappointed in how they did Legion? The whole ball of humans was awesome ... and then you get to see the "Legion" being an old fucking guy who's barely able to move faster than a tortoise. Especially in the context of how Curse of Darkness has the most powerful version of Legion, it being a simple old wizard was disappointing.

Sypha left that season pretty mentally scarred. First she has to witness how people of faith fall so deep to work and even worship demons to the point where they sacrifice a whole towns souls. Then the realization that the Judge was a sick bastard who regularly executed people with that sick trap and even has a whole room full of his victims shoes to ... dunno what the fuck he did with those.

Trevor needs to step his shit up being there for Sypha until she's able to come over these things. He's used to all this fucked up shit, and he's aware that he can't let Sypha become like him.

But i have to say, as much as i like the cast right now, season 4 needs to be the last with them. It's time to move on to other Belmont generations.

So, season 4 announcement when?

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
To be honest this region was kind of a cultural hotspot at the time.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Regarding Hector and all of you that shit on him (!)

Imean, it isn't rocket science... he had been beaten, chained and let to walk 30 days without any hope whatsoever to be rescued. Of course when someone give him something to cling on he will take it... even if he knows that it all might be a play to get him to play along, he don't have a choice if he wants to live and not be starved and tortured to death. Ask yourself, what would you do in a hopeless situation like that? Especially when you have the possibility to have the comfort and intimacy with a very attractive person as well.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
Just halfway. Best video game adaptation in any media and its not even close - kind of laughable how castlevania of all franchises is the one to do that. The plot lines in the village and styria are great. Isaac is pretty boring. Ya ya you are a quiet badass. I like what they are trying to do with him but it just doesn't work for some reason - the VA might be the reason. Dracula was hundred times the villain (?) Isaac is.

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
So any idea of who the Carmilla sisters where talking about the blacksmith/magician in the final episode is that a important lore character they seemed describe him in major detail

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
So any idea of who the Carmilla sisters where talking about the blacksmith/magician in the final episode is that a important lore character they seemed describe him in major detail

My lore knowledge isn't what is once was anymore, but i can't think of a character from the games that fits into that spot. It's very likely either an original char or just a nobody that won't be talked about anymore.

If, and that is a big if, they go to take some chars from the LoS games, they could make this person the series universe Toymaker. But that's really unlikely.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I could watch several seasons of Trevor and Sypha just hanging out together, teasing each other and killing monsters. 🤔

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
I really didn't care for Alucard's part of this season. I feel like there was the
Heavy Rain problem going on with the two Japanese kids. Like if they were going through all of that and had murderous intent towards Alucard, why would none of that be discussed during their moment alone. Instead it's them still talking about Alucard in a positive light. Like I saw a betrayal coming a mile away, but the reasons and their motivations just kind of came out of nowhere.
They didn't have murderous intent from the beginning and their motivations did come out of nowhere. That was the point. They thought it was kind of odd he wasn't telling them everything (he straight up just didn't show them the movement room, probably because it's a place where he and his father fought) and after that scene, where they finally confront him about it, they don't cut back to Sumi and Taka alone ever again. It was abrupt, because they're broken, and thought he was fucking with them.

I agreed it was rushed, but they did seed it fairly well. Over and over, they insist they need to learn how to kill vampires fast and then get back to Japan. Castlevania is a literal teleporting castle that could get them back there in a second, but Alucard quickly moves past explaining why it no longer works, because he doesn't want to dwell on Sypha not being there. They impress upon Alucard that this is urgent. Alucard is an immortal being with no sense of time. In his second conversation with them, he says he's been alone for years, or months. It's been one month by that point.

They also really drive hard that Sumi and Taka's vampire captor would bring in hunters so they could watch her show off by playing with them before killing them. Hector makes a point that vampires like to play with their food. In their first lesson, Alucard tells them to drop their usual weapons and picks up swords, then...shows off as part of the lesson and suggests that half of him wants to bite their throat out. Sumi and Taka later have the realization that Alucard likely killed their captor - which would make him more dangerous than her.

Did it need more screen time? Sure. Was it this completely nonsensical thing? I don't think so.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Off topic but didn't know that Grimoire of Souls have plot and lore.

Yeah, Grimoire of Souls is the first time in nearly a decade that Konami is looking at the lore of the original canon.

If it helps anybody interested in the games, I'll list a timeline.

1094 - Lament of Innocence
1476 - Dracula's Curse
1479 - Curse of Darkness (there are two mangas set between Dracula's Curse and Curse of Darkness btw)
1576 - Adventure/Adventure Rebirth
1591 - Belmont's Revenge
1691 - Castlevania/Vampire Killer/Haunted Castle/Super Castlevania IV/Chronicles
1698 - Simon's Quest
1748 - Harmony of Dissonance
1792 - Rondo of Blood/Dracula X/Dracula X Chronicles
1797 - Symphony of the Night
1798 - Nocturne of Recollection (this is a radio drama)
1830 - Circle of the Moon
1844 - Legacy of Darkness
1852 - Legacy of Darkness/Castlevania 64 (these are the same game; Legacy of Darkness is just the enhanced, updated version)

18XX - Order of Ecclesia (this was never dated, but fan theories put it at being set somewhere in the 1840s to 1860s)
1897 - Bram Stoker's Dracula (the novel is canon to the games, but it's very confusing)
1917 - Bloodlines
1944 - Portrait of Ruin
1999 - Demon Castle War (this is an event, but not a game)
2035 - Aria of Sorrow
2036 - Dawn of Sorrow
2037 - Reminiscence of the Divine Abyss (this is a novel)
20XX - Grimoire of Souls (this isn't dated but takes place after Soma's events)
XXXX - Judgment (this is a fighting game set in a time warp)

For any entry that shares the same spot in the timeline, just pick one of the games as they tell the same general story. I've italicized the gaiden entries, which are titles that are not considered mainline entries to the story.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Okay, I just watch the first two episodes of Season1

Fuck, People and Church in the city. They Deserve it. Even Trevor didn't want to against Dracula.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, Grimoire of Souls is the first time in nearly a decade that Konami is looking at the lore of the original canon.

1476 - Dracula's Curse
1479 - Curse of Darkness (there are two mangas set between Dracula's Curse and Curse of Darkness btw)
1591 - Belmont's Revenge
1691 - Castlevania/Vampire Killer/Haunted Castle/Super Castlevania IV/Chronicles
1698 - Simon's Quest
1852 - Legacy of Darkness/Castlevania 64 (these are the same game; Legacy of Darkness is just the enhanced, updated version)

18XX - Order of Ecclesia (this was never dated, but fan theories put it at being set somewhere in the 1840s to 1860s)
1897 - Bram Stoker's Dracula (the novel is canon to the games, but it's very confusing)
1917 - Bloodlines
1944 - Portrait of Ruin
2035 - Aria of Sorrow
2036 - Dawn of Sorrow

For any entry that shares the same spot in the timeline, just pick one of the games as they tell the same general story. I've italicized the gaiden entries, which are titles that are not considered mainline entries to the story.

Thanks for taking the time to make this. Saved the post as Castlevania timeline.

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017

1476 - Dracula's Curse
1591 - Belmont's Revenge
1698 - Simon's Quest

1917 - Bloodlines
1944 - Portrait of Ruin
2035 - Aria of Sorrow
2036 - Dawn of Sorrow

Impressive.

I now want to try out Grimoire of Souls .

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Regarding Hector and all of you that shit on him (!)

Imean, it isn't rocket science... he had been beaten, chained and let to walk 30 days without any hope whatsoever to be rescued. Of course when someone give him something to cling on he will take it... even if he knows that it all might be a play to get him to play along, he don't have a choice if he wants to live and not be starved and tortured to death. Ask yourself, what would you do in a hopeless situation like that? Especially when you have the possibility to have the comfort and intimacy with a very attractive person as well.

Yep, not hard at all to see how it happens. Dude was so starved for everything that even the allure of deceitful kindness would he hard to resist.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Reading that timeline actually makes me want the showrunners to reach Julius even more. Think of it, Julius would mean getting the 1999 battle, Aria and Dawn of Sorrow.

I hope Netflix has the guts to let Ellis do the full story if he wants to.

Yep, not hard at all to see how it happens. Dude was so starved for everything that even the allure of deceitful kindness would he hard to resist.

I think the problem is less that he does fuck Lenore, but rather that he repeats what she wants him to without thinking. Correct me if i'm wrong, but the ring's curse wouldn't have worked if he didn't vocally pledges himself to her.
Dude should've just shut the hell up and enjoy the situation.

Deleted member 51845

user requested account closure
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Loved it. The characters are so well voice acted that it makes up for some of the less action packed episodes. I really hope this show continues to do good and can eventually visit other timelines.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Thanks for taking the time to make this. Saved the post as Castlevania timeline.
Impressive.

I now want to try out Grimoire of Souls .

Those Three games is non-canon.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Wife and I finished the newest Season last night. Loved it like all the rest! I feel like this season felt more like a setup for future arcs. The last season had that with Carmilla's plot but still had the main plot wrap up with Dracula. Even with the "main plot" being there with Trevor and Sypha, even that one was more or less a means to set up whatever is behind the Infinite Corridor. Can't wait to see more of Hector and Isaac. Season 4 can't come soon enough.

One question about this current season though:
Why the hell did Sala practically shit himself when the Infinite Corridor opened up? Wouldn't he have just perceived that as the door to Hell? Wasn't that his goal, to open it up and get Dracula out? What was he expecting?

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I just finished episode 9 and I don't believe for a second that

Trevor, Sypha, or Saint Germaine would have left people in the houses with the mark. All three demonstrated a knowledge of why they were there. I didn't know the priory's plan but it was clear they needed souls for alchemy from what those three characters said.

Made them go out of character to make the plot work.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Only three episodes in, but I LOVE Isaac's dialogue and the writing in general in this show. The edgelord stuff makes me roll my eyes a bit, but then you've got Isaac and the ship captain talking about what Isaac's goals are and you're captivated the whole way through. So. Good.

Thank you, based Warren Ellis.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think the problem is less that he does fuck Lenore, but rather that he repeats what she wants him to without thinking. Correct me if i'm wrong, but the ring's curse wouldn't have worked if he didn't vocally pledges himself to her.
Dude should've just shut the hell up and enjoy the situation.

People say some crazy shit during sex tbh. Can't imagine that really happens often for Hector; thinking is probably the last thing on his mind. Dude was horned up.

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
Wife and I finished the newest Season last night. Loved it like all the rest! I feel like this season felt more like a setup for future arcs. The last season had that with Carmilla's plot but still had the main plot wrap up with Dracula. Even with the "main plot" being there with Trevor and Sypha, even that one was more or less a means to set up whatever is behind the Infinite Corridor. Can't wait to see more of Hector and Isaac. Season 4 can't come soon enough.

One question about this current season though:
Why the hell did Sala practically shit himself when the Infinite Corridor opened up? Wouldn't he have just perceived that as the door to Hell? Wasn't that his goal, to open it up and get Dracula out? What was he expecting?

they mentioned in a conversation with judge before the attack that Sala had no idea the corridor was there. He probably expected a old school summoning in middle of room deal not portal to hell.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
Isaac's dialogue with the characters is one the highlights of the season for me.

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
OK, episode 6 - The things the guy saw - are they anything in particular?

Also episode 9 - well that went places.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Isaac: "Oh hey, someone was nice to me. Maybe people aren't so bad after all."
Generic soldier: "Hey can you take your demon army and get the fuck out of this city full of innocent people"
Isaac: "You are all such fucking assholes! I'll murder every last one of you!"

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Generic soldier: "Hey can you take your demon army and get the fuck out of this city full of innocent people"

Lmao I really don't know what he expected

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017

What I liked about those scenes is it wasn't the typical townspeople cowering in fear waiting to be slaughtered. They were like, "Nope. We ain't having it." Though they should have brought more soldiers before talking shit.