• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished binging it. That was my favourite season so far. Excellent writing and great action.

Axumite

Nov 19, 2017
I've been seeing some pretty disgusting reactions to one development from Season 3, and it's ridiculous that this is still happening in 2020.

There's a very vocal minority in Youtube comments and Reddit (especially r/Kappa) that's pissed about the show revealing Alucard to be bisexual. If you frequent either of those sites, be prepared to see some vitriol and anti-gay slurs.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been seeing some pretty disgusting reactions to one development from Season 3, and it's ridiculous that this is still happening in 2020.

There's a very vocal minority in Youtube comments and Reddit (especially r/Kappa) that's pissed about the show revealing Alucard to be bisexual. If you frequent either of those sites, be prepared to see some vitriol and anti-gay slurs.

Well you can tell the people utterly unfamiliar with vampire fiction across the centuries.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really didn't care for Alucard's part of this season. I feel like there was the
Heavy Rain problem going on with the two Japanese kids. Like if they were going through all of that and had murderous intent towards Alucard, why would none of that be discussed during their moment alone. Instead it's them still talking about Alucard in a positive light. Like I saw a betrayal coming a mile away, but the reasons and their motivations just kind of came out of nowhere.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017

thats really weird. I mean he's a vampire. it's a vampire story. Why would you be watching unless you just want to hate the inevitable?

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished.

Easily the best season, from the standpoint of character development and setting up additional plotlines and characters. I'd have forgiven Season 3 if *all* it tried to do was lay the groundwork for something better -- something it absolutely does -- but it still manages in all of that to use its extra 2 episodes to create a more meaningful, lore-filled world, let every single character breathe and grow, and let the world broaden its horizons. It reminds me of Game of Thrones back when I cared about it (before S4). Season 3 is practically psychedelic in its presentation and content; this is the most violent, sexy season, and though S1 and S2 were mature enough with full-bodied characters and deep stories behind them, S3 really amps up everything that propels this series far outside of roots into something more beautiful, and more interesting than its source material. I literally cannot believe that an anime based on CV is this fucking good.

If S4 continues this trend, we are in for a goddamn treat.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it and I gotta be honest, if S1 and S2 were The Witcher 3's main campaign, this was the Hearts of Stone for me. Smaller in scope, not QUITE as much bombastic spectacle but man it feels so fucking. Satisfying. Like the slow pace paid off in a magnificent fashion and there's still so much more to give.

God I am shaking. So amazing.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it. Last two episodes were really good. The season was no filler at all for me.

PC98_Audi

Producer @ Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Raleigh
Man seeing so many people use words like filler to describe exposition and character focused scenes. I would never want to watch Star Trek: The Motion Picture with some of you people.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I am honestly also bothered by people calling it 'filler'. Like they've never properly had to deal with it. Filler by all intents and purposes has no reason, it's there to simply pad the time. If the show had continued IMMEDIATELY with folks rushing in waving swords screaming "YOU MUST FIGHT THE NEXT BADDIE NOW, GO SHIT RUN FLY SPELLS!" it would have crashed and burned.

You cannot go from defeating the most powerful fucking vampire and the primary antagonist in the series to IMMEDIATELY have the next big bad person pop in "oh heeeey i'm just a powerful how's it going friends I was hiding my true power all along" without it being frankly insulting to the audience. They did this in a proper fashion considering the limited time and amount of episodes. Set up what characters have been doing, introduce other key players, and properly build up the new villains and how they'll end up gaining power plus showing us further character development from the main cast.

Bombastic immediate development would have done a total disservice to this series and I am glad many reviewers are agreeing the season is the better for the slow methodical development.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

There's no such thing as a straight vampire.

mugurumakensei

Oct 25, 2017
I am honestly also bothered by people calling it 'filler'. Like they've never properly had to deal with it. Filler by all intents and purposes has no reason, it's there to simply pad the time. If the show had continued IMMEDIATELY with folks rushing in waving swords screaming "YOU MUST FIGHT THE NEXT BADDIE NOW, GO SHIT RUN FLY SPELLS!" it would have crashed and burned.

You cannot go from defeating the most powerful fucking vampire and the primary antagonist in the series to IMMEDIATELY have the next big bad person pop in "oh heeeey i'm just a powerful how's it going friends I was hiding my true power all along" without it being frankly insulting to the audience. They did this in a proper fashion considering the limited time and amount of episodes. Set up what characters have been doing, introduce other key players, and properly build up the new villains and how they'll end up gaining power plus showing us further character development from the main cast.

Bombastic immediate development would have done a total disservice to this series and I am glad many reviewers are agreeing the season is the better for the slow methodical development.
I agree with this. Knowing who the villains are going to be in the next 1 or 2 seasons, it had to be established how they could become so powerful to be a threat that rivals the level of Dracula himself.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed this season. The only thing I had issue with is I felt the motivations of the Japanese duo weren't very clear.

Their creativity with Sypha's magic continues to impress me. She uses her magic like you would think a clever person would. Just the variety and cleverness is great.

Hector
Am I the only one who thinks he mostly got what he wanted? He doesn't seem to have any great wants that this deal wouldn't grant him and they want to do exactly what Dracula pretended he wanted to do to keep Hector around. Isaac is on a journey of self discovery, realizing that what he worked towards with Dracula may not be what he wants his story to be. Hector seems to be getting exactly what he wanted the whole time now.

Like, I think Hector is that brand of self aware and smart that's also super people dumb at the same time. He recognizes that physically he's a weak man in a world of monsters and the only skill that he can use to his advantage is making monsters. It's also a skill that would isolate him in the world of humans and something that these great and powerful vampires desire. From how he talked it seemed like he wanted to be a kept human. He even does the collar thing and all that when he could protest that shit easily with a "How could I be of any danger to you? you just kicked my ass without even a bit of effort".

I will say she had me fooled until the ring to (I figured her con was gonna be to try to have a half human baby with him to guarantee his loyalty). And I'm still kinda convinced that she does like him even if only as a pet. Given how she acts I figure she could get the sense that this is exactly what he wanted, to be a kept human. Or hell, maybe she truly just wants a solid partnership and some type of relationship with him and knows that the ring is the only way to make that happen as it puts her sisters at enough ease to allow him to be treated this way. She loudly tells everyone "yeah, I fucked him and Imma do it again! He's gonna be able to roam freely and sometimes come in here with us!" right in front of him.

Not sure how real any of her feelings are for him but I never felt like he knew what he wanted beyond special treatment and to not be vampire food.
I'm kinda with you here. This kind of ended up being the best case scenario for him, given the situation he started the season in. And I also got the vibe that while she did play him, she does care for him on some level. She could have easily fucked him over once the ring was on, but she still stuck up for him a little bit at the meeting. All things considered, it could be worse for Hector.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

I saw some say they were angry because he's supposed to Asexual in the games? Was that ever something confirmed or people just speculated?

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019

alucard being bisexual seems like the most vampire thing ever

Manbig

Oct 26, 2017
Re: the twins

I'm still not understanding their sudden heel turn. Way too fucking abrupt and out-of-character for them. Alucard wasn't training/powering them up quick enough so they... kill him? And rape him first? Nothing we were shown about either hinted they would ever roll like that.

I think a key line during the betrayal was one of them mentioning wanting to build their empire with the power, which would indicate the true motivation was to rule, not just to save humanity from the demons.

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
I can't see anyone hating Isaac's arc, that one was basically perfect.
Poor Alucard though.

Yeah. Isaac is revealed to have more depth and fleshed out in a way
that I dont think Trevor and Sypha will be his enemies. If anything I can see Isaac becoming good. And even if he doesnt, speaks to how good his writing was that he has layers

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
What the writing team is doing with the the amount of "lore" they have from games it incredible.

I agree with complaints about Alucard plot it was weakest and needed way more scenes for the outcome have a impact

Oct 28, 2017
It is hard to feel anything for Hector when he makes so many bad decisions knowing full well they are bad decisions. That makes it hard for your audience to get invested in what's going on. It's no character flaw. It's just bad.

Jun 26, 2018
This season was setup and character development and making sure everyone is in the right spot for Season 4 which will be the full conclusion of everyone's arcs (likely).

I think calling the entire season "setup and character development" is a little too generous, considering I feel like there was almost none of it, and what little there was, felt more or less established by the first episode or so.

I enjoyed it somewhat, but mostly because it was so bafflingly dull, with a lot of jarring left turns that didn't really serve much of a point to me in the end.

I sure do hope they make a season 4, and I'll watch it for sure, but I gotta say, I'm not waiting at the edge of my seat for it.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
Done with ep 5. So far it's my favorite season. I like the slow build up. Admitedly I feel like this is going to end abruptly. They are setting up so many things here.

Village stuff is really great and pulls you in. Hell, I would have been fine with whole season's worth of cult mysticism. Isaac is still boss and it's nice they try to add more to his character. Carmella plot line seems interesting but so far not as interesting as Trevor/Syph/Isaac.

Alucard has been waste so far. Almost comically bad.

Oct 25, 2017
I liked it but it does feel like half a season.

I'm worried that it might get cancelled before we get the Richter saga, unless this was just going to be about Trevor.

Anyways, good stuff.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Man seeing so many people use words like filler to describe exposition and character focused scenes. I would never want to watch Star Trek: The Motion Picture with some of you people.

Admittedly I'm only halfway through but I agree I really am loving the slow burn. Especially the interactions between the council of sisters And the talks between the Captain and Isaac

Oct 28, 2017
Alucard lacks personality traits. Trevor does the stoic bit but undercuts it with droll humor. It wasn't until the ending that he got a push out of his malaise.

he misses Trevor and Maria as evidenced by his dolls. He wants to connect with people but there's nobody around. So we never see anything to help illustrate Alucards personality. It's a blackhole of development until the last episode.

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
Alucard lacks personality traits. Trevor does the stoic bit but undercuts it with droll humor. It wasn't until the ending that he got a push out of his malaise.

he misses Trevor and Maria as evidenced by his dolls. He wants to connect with people but there's nobody around. So we never see anything to help illustrate Alucards personality. It's a blackhole of development until the last episode.

I kind see point but the main plot of Alucard was set up in first few minutes of his loneliness and need for companionship. Then what turns up a man and woman so he instantly treats them nice like he would do if Trevor and Syph turned up. That was his downfall he trusted too soon instead of acting like he did first two seasons. He needed wayyy more screen time to make the last part more impactful but it not total waste of time

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the season and
I'm now 100% sure I want this to now completely ignore game canon. Carmilla and her sisters are amazing, and the idea that all these amazing female villains will inevitably end up as Dracula's mooks is garbage(atleast in Carmillas case, others will probably just die) is hot trash.

And, in Dracula's case, I want them to keep him sympathetic. He's so, SO much better of a character in this than he ever was in the games, and I don't want all that stripped away by constant resurrections, especially when he's already reunited with his wife in hell. I was REALLY hoping he'd walk out of the portal, immediately kill every monster, and walk back in, to show that he doesn't care about any of that shit anymore.

Also Isaac actually having somewhat of a half-way redemption/heel turn rising deserves its own ending rather than the garbage of curse of darkness.

All in all, though, the writing in this season is the best its ever been. Calling casual conversation between friends and swear words as a concept "juvenile" and "cringe" is pretentious as hell. People talk and kid around. The real world and real people talk like that. Its more charming and relatable and endearing when the characters talk like actual people and not cardboard cutouts lecturing about morals with purple prose in front of a fireplace and a dictionary.

The only thing I really hated was everything with Alucard. Completely unnecessary and culminating in a weird uncomfortable orgy and double murder when neither character had any real personality or even a motivation to do that outside "kill vampire".

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Finished it this morning. I loved the slow build up and the last episode was crazy good. I hope the wait for season 4 isn't too long.

Oct 28, 2017
Castlevania was always about Simon for me. Captain N and the first NES games were my introduction. But I couldn't tell any of them apart if you asked me to so I guess it doesn't really matter.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I gotta say the composer of the series did a great job with a lot of the music this season. Don't think there were any game specific tunes used but the song for the big finale was about as Castlevania sounding as an original piece can be, to the point I was trying to figure out what song it was exactly. Really wish Netflix would release a full score for this series. Oh and the composer's name being Trevor Morris is a funny coincidence.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I gotta say the composer of the series did a great job with a lot of the music this season. Don't think there were any game specific tunes used but the song for the big finale was about as Castlevania sounding as an original piece can be, to the point I was trying to figure out what song it was exactly. Really wish Netflix would release a full score for this series. Oh and the composer's name being Trevor Morris is a funny coincidence.

Someone should ask the composer why we haven't gotten a release of the Blood Tears show rendition.

Lionheart360

Oct 27, 2017
On Hector
Everyone is calling Hector stupid and a "simp", but I mean come on, most of us would have done the same thing. What else was he supposed to do? Sit there and rot?

Plus, maybe there's still a chance she really does fall for him and betrays her sisters. The fact that she already stood up for him in front of them says something.

theMrCravens

Oct 25, 2017
Hated it, but then I hated first two seasons too.
Not what I'm looking for in a Castlevania series personally.

Some fight scenes are well designed though.

mugurumakensei

Oct 25, 2017
On Hector
Everyone is calling Hector stupid and a "simp", but I mean come on, most of us would have done the same thing. What else was he supposed to do? Sit there and rot?

Plus, maybe there's still a chance she really does fall for him and betrays her sisters. The fact that she already stood up for him in front of them says something.
i do feel like Lenore legitimately cares, and I imagine there is some truth of philosophy and such being a part of Vampire culture. It's just she and most vampires see themselves as superiors. She likes Hector but sees him as a pet. If her sisters actually tried to do anything to hurt hector, she probably would defend over them. Yet, again, hector is nevertheless her pet and sex slave/slave in general.

Oct 25, 2017
My only problem with s3 was I feel like not enough time was spent w/ Alucard to make his story feel impactful, but other than that I love this show. Im also really impressed how cool/fitting the CGI was

Not that I'm a big enough fan of Castlevania to begin with, but I'm somewhat pleased hearing the lead writer isnt some big lore-obsessed nerd, it feels like the show can both be something fresh and pleasing to easter egg observers. If this team does end up tackling Berserk I hope its handled in the same fashion, because the story has been told many times over at this point and I'd prefer seeing something inspired vs a standard adaption

Last edited:

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
On Hector and his situation by the end

I agree on those saying that it seems like until he gets any kind of drive/motivation this is his best case scenario. Simialrly I also wouldn't even be surprised if Lenore actually DID grow to care for him and through her various interactions with him learned exactly how to get him to both be loyal and useful to their cause while getting what she needed for her position with her sisters: the loyalty of the army. Hector knows he's powerless save for his specific skill yet lacks any motivation to build his army for himself. Being taken care of by the creatures who wont turn on him is what he considers his best case scenario. And Lenore just made it where he has the freedom to roam around the castle and be part of the plans even if he's treated like a second class citizen/pet. If the slavery and the condescension really DID bother him, he could always kill himself to stick it to them and avoid being used. He WANTS to be useful. Yes in a perfect world he would stand up for himself to be treated as an equal, but he isn't that character. At least not yet assuming that's where his character arc takes him.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely love the way they handled Legion. It's such a staple CV boss (almost on par with Death IMO) and it was done fucking brilliantly. It was also great to see Isaac kicking some ass.
So the consensus is that S3 is good, then?
Very good if you're in it for the characters. If you're in the show for the action then I can see you feeling the how is just as slow as season 2.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely love the way they handled Legion. It's such a staple CV boss (almost on par with Death IMO) and it was done fucking brilliantly. It was also great to see Isaac kicking some ass.

Very good if you're in it for the characters. If you're in the show for the action then I can see you feeling the how is just as slow as season 2.

So that was legion? I kept thinking it reminded me of it, and that maybe Issac was gonna somehow forge the mass and make legion itself.