• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Is it just me or does it seem like the audio equipment they use to record voices suck? When people speak it sounds so quiet and muffled, combined with the thick accents it's so offputting.

there were a few music cues that sounded like absolute poop to me too, i think the sound mix is pretty awful to tell you the truth, a lot of weird dynamics. they should definitely step up that and their foley work

Oct 30, 2017
This show has no right to still be this boring and meandering three seasons in. The fact that half the damn cast still sound like they just woke up from an induced coma only adds to it.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe, but I hope if the ratings, reviews, and attachment rate for viewers is high they'll keep pumping out the show. I could see the current characters receive 1-2 more seasons, and then I would love to see future seasons focus on a timeline skip.

And if not, maybe we'll see a movie-length special for SOTN.

if we were stuck with Trevor for two more seasons fucking kill me

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The reason why people think this season is filler is because nothing big is resolved, when it feels like everything easily could have been with one of the minor plot threads getting cut or having just another episode or two.

that's how I feel.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
Hector
Am I the only one who thinks he mostly got what he wanted? He doesn't seem to have any great wants that this deal wouldn't grant him and they want to do exactly what Dracula pretended he wanted to do to keep Hector around. Isaac is on a journey of self discovery, realizing that what he worked towards with Dracula may not be what he wants his story to be. Hector seems to be getting exactly what he wanted the whole time now.

Like, I think Hector is that brand of self aware and smart that's also super people dumb at the same time. He recognizes that physically he's a weak man in a world of monsters and the only skill that he can use to his advantage is making monsters. It's also a skill that would isolate him in the world of humans and something that these great and powerful vampires desire. From how he talked it seemed like he wanted to be a kept human. He even does the collar thing and all that when he could protest that shit easily with a "How could I be of any danger to you? you just kicked my ass without even a bit of effort".

I will say she had me fooled until the ring to (I figured her con was gonna be to try to have a half human baby with him to guarantee his loyalty). And I'm still kinda convinced that she does like him even if only as a pet. Given how she acts I figure she could get the sense that this is exactly what he wanted, to be a kept human. Or hell, maybe she truly just wants a solid partnership and some type of relationship with him and knows that the ring is the only way to make that happen as it puts her sisters at enough ease to allow him to be treated this way. She loudly tells everyone "yeah, I fucked him and Imma do it again! He's gonna be able to roam freely and sometimes come in here with us!" right in front of him.

Not sure how real any of her feelings are for him but I never felt like he knew what he wanted beyond special treatment and to not be vampire food.

N_Cryo

Avenger
Nov 6, 2017
west coast
Finished Season 3. Loved it, except its such a downer ending.
Sypha and Trevor leaving to a nomadic life. Carmilla and sisters planning new conquests with hector intow. Alucard becoming more like his father, betrayal and all. And Issac with new ambitions and friends?
Funniest line for me was "Shhhhh. The real people are talking."
My heart sank when I heard that line.
because it meant Hector will never be Lenore's equal. She will always have that collar on his neck. Well, until he eventually rebels and causes the sisters downfall.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
My heart sank when I heard that line.
because it meant Hector will never be Lenore's equal. She will always have that collar on his neck. Well, until he eventually rebels and causes the sisters downfall.

Hector
Am I the only one who thinks he mostly got what he wanted? He doesn't seem to have any great wants that this deal wouldn't grant him and they want to do exactly what Dracula pretended he wanted to do to keep Hector around. Isaac is on a journey of self discovery, realizing that what he worked towards with Dracula may not be what he wants his story to be. Hector seems to be getting exactly what he wanted the whole time now.

Like, I think Hector is that brand of self aware and smart that's also super people dumb at the same time. He recognizes that physically he's a weak man in a world of monsters and the only skill that he can use to his advantage is making monsters. It's also a skill that would isolate him in the world of humans and something that these great and powerful vampires desire. From how he talked it seemed like he wanted to be a kept human. He even does the collar thing and all that when he could protest that shit easily with a "How could I be of any danger to you? you just kicked my ass without even a bit of effort".

I will say she had me fooled until the ring to (I figured her con was gonna be to try to have a half human baby with him to guarantee his loyalty). And I'm still kinda convinced that she does like him even if only as a pet. Given how she acts I figure she could get the sense that this is exactly what he wanted, to be a kept human. Or hell, maybe she truly just wants a solid partnership and some type of relationship with him and knows that the ring is the only way to make that happen as it puts her sisters at enough ease to allow him to be treated this way. She loudly tells everyone "yeah, I fucked him and Imma do it again! He's gonna be able to roam freely and sometimes come in here with us!" right in front of him.

Not sure how real any of her feelings are for him but I never felt like he knew what he wanted beyond special treatment and to not be vampire food.
Been thinking about it and I think I'm gonna run that back.
I think she's doing this cause she wants to pull a power play on her sisters and has some real affection for him. I remember how she says people underestimate her because of how she does things which seems like it can be applied to how her sisters see her as well.
I've read people pointing out that she brings up how she ease-dropped to find out that her sisters are planning to hire sell swords. This information means that he is no longer needed for their plans so at some point someones gonna kill him as none of them trust him. So knowing this she does the only thing that will save his life, show them that she has control over him and his monsters and that there's nothing to fear.
She makes the sexual nature of their relationship known in front of all AND places demands on his behalf. The line about "real people are talking" could be spoken to farther sell the idea that (though she's making him an equal to them to an extent with her demands) she's still very much in the "haha, this is just an animal to me" camp.

I think these rings are gonna come into play later when she makes her move against the others.
Regardless of how it goes right now her motives are not very clear to me at all.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Filler, like the word cringe, has lost a lot of its usefulness as a descriptor, especially a negative one.

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
It wasn't just children. It was anyone who disrupted the order of the town from tiny to large. But he wasn't able to touch the priory (and they would not listen to him) and so that's why he was happy to get his little revenge at the end there.

Also...

I want someone to write this... easter egg spoiler:

Is this a JoJo reference?

Memes aside.

The infinite corridor is huge setup for the #bootlegmultiverse thing that they are planning to do. We already know the crossover with Devil May Cry and Dante is happening. The question is whether the Assassins Creed and Hyper Light Drifter shows he is planning will also tie in.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The infinite corridor is huge setup for the #bootlegmultiverse thing that they are planning to do. We already know the crossover with Devil May Cry and Dante is happening. The question is whether the Assassins Creed and Hyper Light Drifter shows he is planning will also tie in.

The Infinite Corridor is something Warren Ellis thought was really fucking cool when he was doing research for the show and plays well to his sensibilities as a writer if you're aware of his past works. Also what DMC cross over? I know they're making an animated series but based on the games but what are you talking about?

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
The Infinite Corridor is something Warren Ellis thought was really fucking cool when he was doing research for the show and plays well to his sensibilities as a writer if you're aware of his past works. Also what DMC cross over? I know they're making an animated series but based on the games but what are you talking about?

uk.ign.com

Devil May Cry Series Joins Castlevania in New Multiverse from Adi Shankar - IGN

Castlevania's executive producer, Adi Shankar, reveals that an animated Devil May Cry series is in the works.

Story broke ages ago in 2018, pretty old news tbh. The Infinite Corridor is a obscure bit of Castlevania lore that plays well into this plan.

Shankar, in an exclusive interview with IGN's Jacki Jing, also revealed that his Devil May Cry series "will join Castlevania in what we're now calling the bootleg multiverse."

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
uk.ign.com

Devil May Cry Series Joins Castlevania in New Multiverse from Adi Shankar - IGN

Castlevania's executive producer, Adi Shankar, reveals that an animated Devil May Cry series is in the works.

Story broke ages ago. The Infinite Corridor is a obscure bit of Castlevania lore that plays well into this plan.

That was a misunderstanding. It's not actually a multiverse. It's just Shankar's way of saying these are his collective works that he produces.

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
That was a misunderstanding. It's not actually a multiverse. It's just Shankar's way of saying these are his collective works that he produces.

"will join Castlevania in what we're now calling the bootleg multiverse."
"let the speculation begin, you can read into that all you want"

Not sure how that can be read any other way.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
"will join Castlevania in what we're now calling the bootleg multiverse."
"let the speculation begin, you can read into that all you want"

Not sure how that can be read any other way.

It's a sequel to his: "Bootleg Universe" which was stuff like Punisher: Dirty Laundry, Power/Rangers, and more. None of which were connected.

It's just a branding thing. His Assassin's Creed and Hyper Light Drifer series they're working on are also part of it. But I doubt that Ubisoft would want AC to cross over with Devil May Cry and Castlevania or even Hyper Light Drifter of all things.

Axumite

Nov 19, 2017
Overall I'd give this season an 8.5/10.

It was a little slow, and some of the dialogue wasn't great (I've never been a huge fan of Warren Ellis when he's trying to be funny or witty because he botches it as often as he nails it IMO), but the plot was pretty enjoyable, the animation and art design were great, and I loved seeing the character development everyone had. I also ended up liking St. Germaine and his scenes way more than I expected.

Sypha and Trevor's romantic relationship seemed to come out of nowhere after the end of Season 2, but I liked that their interactions were sweet without being too "lovey dovey." It's clear that despite the occasional argument they deeply care for each other, as shown by Trevor's reactions whenever Sypha's in danger and how playful, comfortable, and fiercely loyal she is to him. I also thought Isaac's story line was pretty good, with him gathering an army of demons, interacting with a few humans that make him rethink his plan to carry out Dracula's wishes, that awesome battle with the old Magician and Legion, and gaining a few magical artifacts for his eventual confrontation with Carmilla's crew and Hector.

For me, the weakest storyline this season was definitely Hector's. It was always clear that Lenore was going to screw him over in some way, and no matter how charming or seductive she might have been I'm surprised that Hector ever thought running away together was a viable option. He was understandably skeptical and knew exactly what they were trying to do up until she called him "pretty" and slept with him. How is he that much of a fool? I also thought the scenes of Carmilla's "sisters" plotting how to build an empire were pretty boring, though I understand it's meant to be the set up for next season.

Alucard's storyline with the two Japanese vampire hunters was also a little slow, but it was a sweet look at Alucard dealing with his loneliness and trying to make new friends who eventually betray him and explain his disappearance until what I assume will be the Symphony of The Night adaptation. It was a real gut punch to see how much he enjoyed their company, and how much he was enjoying that threesome, only for them to betray him and force him into becoming more like his father.

Lastly, this season also had some really hype battle moments. Sypha had the best kills for the most part, but my favorite moment had to be when Trevor was struggling while battling the Soul Beast, that ominous church organ tune started playing, and he busted out the old whip for a Vampire Killer/Morning Star dual wield and eventual item crash.

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
It's a sequel to his: "Bootleg Universe" which was stuff like Punisher: Dirty Laundry, Power/Rangers, and more. None of which were connected.

It's just a branding thing. His Assassin's Creed and Hyper Light Drifer series they're working on are also part of it. But I doubt that Ubisoft would want AC to cross over with Devil May Cry and Castlevania or even Hyper Light Drifter of all things.

He words suggest he was purposely inviting speculation. So I will wait and see, I have seen nothing to suggest it was a misinterpretation.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Lol fuckin' Hector. Also...

What was up with the Judge? Was the dude killing children for some kind of fucked up ritual or was he just a scumbag? Felt like I missed a detail

Twisted need for order, maybe?

Funniest line for me was "Shhhhh. The real people are talking."

That was funny AND horrifying.

With all this talk of Hell I do wonder if we ever actually see Lucifer in some form

It's a great show but it can make Castlevania seem light hearted lol

At least in the games they seemed very random about making him an actual boss versus a generic mook. He also never seemed to be as powerful as he should be, so I'm curious where they'd go with it.

So why were the two Japanese characters so interested in Dracula's castle moving? I must of missed it but what were they hoping to gain?

I assume to get back home?

Lenore is amazingly compelling.

It was weird. It was super obvious she was playing him but then the twist was not just how BUT that she actually did care for him in her own way.

I do wonder what Hector had to gain by refusing to comply after she showed some degree of compassion. His monsters follow him, so if he agreed to go along with their plans in exchange for his security, there's not much they could do to renege (until Lenore did her ring ploy)

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Im currently on season 1. I heard the third season got 10 out of 10 from ign, so i have decided to give it a chance. So is it me or the japanese audio sounds better?

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Im currently on season 1. I heard the third season got 10 out of 10 from ign, so i have decided to give it a chance. So is it me or the japanese audio sounds better?
The Japanese version doesn't have Jason Isaacs or Bill Nighy, so no. Also I just can not imagine Sypha without her accent.

Deleted member 32679

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
The Sypha and Trevor relationship is a highlight of the season over the otherwise depressing and dark characters and events happening all the time.

PC98_Audi

Producer @ Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Raleigh
I'm a bit confused by people saying the relationship between Trevor and Sypha was a surprise or took them off guard... Wasn't it shown and stated clearly at the end of Season 2 that they were falling for one another and beginning a relationship when on the wagon after the fight with Dracula? I felt like they were quite natural and the relationship was handled fairly well with the right amount of playfulness and differences you'd find yourself in after a few month dating.

I know at least my wife and I fought night demons together one month into our relationship, or drunk farmers in the weekend as we call them here in Norway.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Just finished it. Episode 9 was glorious. Best episode in the entire show so far.

God damn Hector

He's always getting screwed. He's so gullible also

My least favorite part is

the Alucard arc with the 2 japanese warriors. I saw it coming from a mile away and their motivation was pretty weak. They added nothing to the show except maybe to make Alucard evil?. That part just sucked
Also was their vampire they were serving ever shown before? Don't remember if she was in season 2

Oct 27, 2017
My question about the guy who looks after the town

So the guy who was looking after the town was in on making the sacrifices for the night creature? He wanted everyone to be home to burn into flames, and used the children who died in the spikes as sacrifices?

Oct 28, 2017
It was weird. It was super obvious she was playing him but then the twist was not just how BUT that she actually did care for him in her own way.

I do wonder what Hector had to gain by refusing to comply after she showed some degree of compassion. His monsters follow him, so if he agreed to go along with their plans in exchange for his security, there's not much they could do to renege (until Lenore did her ring ploy)

Lenore speculation
was it ever said they wear the rings willingly? It seems odd to have 5 vampire women coexist peacefully and of their own free will. Whatever mutual interest they may have shared when donning the rings for the first time might not be as appealing to Lenore as it once was. She may feel for Hector but her objective could be to dominate the other 4 or to break her bond with them.

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City
My question about the guy who looks after the town

So the guy who was looking after the town was in on making the sacrifices for the night creature? He wanted everyone to be home to burn into flames, and used the children who died in the spikes as sacrifices?

No he was a serial killer in his own right. That was his "little pleasures" from the job. His excuse was to keep order over the town. That is why he had beef with the priory because they didn't follow HIS rules. He had no idea about the sacrifices and would have never have allowed them to happen.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
the Alucard arc with the 2 japanese warriors. I saw it coming from a mile away and their motivation was pretty weak. They added nothing to the show except maybe to make Alucard evil?. That part just sucked
Also was their vampire they were serving ever shown before? Don't remember if she was in season 2

Alucard didn't become evil. His whole arc in Season 3 is to show that he hasn't actually matured into a full person yet. He still very much a child in an adults body whose development has been stifle by his mothers death and fathers turn to carnage. Then after Sypha and Trevor left he was all alone with no human connection and so wanted desperately to get that connection from the two new arrivals and completely misunderstanding what they really wanted.

And now because of that them he nearly died and now questioning himself if it's worth even trying to be part of humanity.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
My least favorite part is

Were they actually being honest near the end? I don't understand their motivations whatsoever.
"You're like all the rest. You won't give us everything we want right away." The hell was that about? Alucard was nothing but gracious and selfless, much more than they deserved. Talk about entitlement. Since they were so transparently persistent about wanting to move the castle, I'm guessing their true motivations weren't really revealed. At least, I hope so. I don't know if they were actually still serving Cho or something.

I really disliked those two characters, overall, and didn't find them sympathetic at all.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Were they actually being honest near the end? I don't understand their motivations whatsoever.
"You're like all the rest. You won't give us everything we want right away." The hell was that about? Alucard was nothing but gracious and selfless, much more than they deserved. Talk about entitlement. Since they were so transparently persistent about wanting to move the castle, I'm guessing their true motivations weren't really revealed. At least, I hope so. I don't know if they were actually still serving Cho or something.

I really disliked those two characters, overall, and didn't find them sympathetic at all.

I mean it's quite simple really. On their whole journey to Europe they were lied and cheated by those that promised to help them. They're worried that some new vampire will take over while they're gone so they want to use the castle (which would bring along all it's knowledge as well) to warp it back to Japan to teach everyone they suffered along with. Alucard never got any sense of urgency or at the very least didn't quite understand.

After all Alucard's only friends were Trevor and Sypha and he only knew them for days before they left for a month. He doesn't pick up on a lot of things and is overly reserved himself. So he ended up coming across like he was hiding stuff from them on purpose and lying just like the people along the road did to them.

They did overreact but I sort of get what lead them to that point.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's quite simple really. On their whole journey to Europe they were lied and cheated by those that promised to help them. They're worried that some new vampire will take over while they're gone so they want to use the castle (which would bring along all it's knowledge as well) to warp it back to Japan to teach everyone they suffered along with. Alucard never got any sense of urgency or at the very least didn't quite understand.

After all Alucard's only friends were Trevor and Sypha and he only knew them for days before they left for a month. He doesn't pick up on a lot of things and is overly reserved himself. So he ended up coming across like he was hiding stuff from them on purpose and lying just like the people along the road did to them.

They did overreact but I sort of get what lead them to that point.
I get it, but I really feel like the writing didn't justify it well enough for me.

They were being oddly friendly and playful from the start, which felt like a stark contrast of what I would have expected after what they went through. They were suspiciously unsuspicious of Alucard, but I guess that made sense when they aggrandized him. But they also seemed to have no personal boundaries and had no issue demanding Alucard cooked more often for them.

Anyway, all that is irrelevant, I guess. I guess I would have expected them to be more grateful because of their history of being betrayed and finally meeting someone who didn't do so. I guess it just didn't really feel earned for me, or that the execution was really lacking and no longer made them seem like characters you should feel sorry for. I feel like there are other ways it could have bee approached without making them seem so annoying.

Last edited:

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the 3rd season

Reminded me a lot of the 2nd. Slow with lots of peaks and valleys.

One thing I didn't like the most is all the monologues and by the numbers review of past events. There are legit amazing moments in this script but it gets seriously bogged down

Perfect example being the conversation between Isaac and the Ship Captain. Amazing dialogue payoffs but bogged down by length and amount of filler/exposition. I do appreciate spending more time in one scene and getting deep dives but unfortunately the script and engagement struggles to keep up. Im glad I toughed through some of the droning moments to get to the good stuff at least and there is good stuff aplenty this season

I would say if anything they just need to tighten the ship and be just a bit more liberal about editing things down to the best bits or if we are going to spend long dialog strings with characters give them something more interesting to say or do outside of repeating themselves or logging current events or relaying facts to the audience for the 11th time

Thats about it for my gripes. I really enjoyed all the arcs and characters this time around (well minus Alucards) and am looking forward to where this all leads.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Watched 8 episodes today and that is a thing I rarely do so I am enjoying it quite a bit. Maybe I will finish it tonight.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Great season. S2 was better overall, but this season probably had the best dialogue/conversations yet.

Don't agree that it was filler, but definitely agree that it was largely setup for next season. But when the journey is so enjoyable, it doesn't bother me much.

Best new character was easily Lenore, and shout-out to the Captain side character as well, he was very intriguing for his brief amount of screentime.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Just finished the 3rd season

Reminded me a lot of the 2nd. Slow with lots of peaks and valleys.

One thing I didn't like the most is all the monologues and by the numbers review of past events. There are legit amazing moments in this script but it gets seriously bogged down

Started skipping through those by the time Trevor was talking to his reflection

br0ken_shad0w

Oct 27, 2017
Washington
Agree with it being not as good as S1 and S2. I didn't like it was just set-up for a season 4 and Alucard doing his own thing didn't help since the shit-talking between him and Trevor were my favorite parts.

Hystzen

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester UK
What's point in watching something you just going skip through why waste your time doing it. It like person who said they skipped episodes 6 and 7 as they seemed be filler due to Netflix descriptions when they was most interesting episodes in whole season.

it's 10 episodes at barely 27 mins each if you can't be arsed watching it don't. You don't need watch a whole season at once or even at all your not being forced to