• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I didn't hate it but sadly it came in between the amazing Aria/Dawn/Order which even SOTN would have had a hard time comparing, add in that it just doesn't stack like a SOTN would means it feels lesser than it is.

However I still enjoyed it and the Richter mode wasn't bad as it was nice to play as my favorite Belmont again.

It's probably the weakest of the three DS games, especially as it went so hard on the asset reuse throughout that it had a major impact on the whole game feeling fresh without really doing that much with the setting to make it stand apart from other castles, but there were three things that I think it did exceptionally well:

1. Insane build variety with all the subweapons and spells meant that you could experiment forever and still find unique setups to blow the game apart.

2. Charlotte and Jonathan are a really fun pair of protagonists with enjoyable banter that makes for a big departure from the normal cast dynamic that helps make the game stand out on that element alone, if nothing else.

3. The final boss fight, even as obvious as it was going to be based on how the game plays, is legitimately my favorite final boss fight in the entire series. Really fun patterns to learn and the whole concept is executed so well throughout.

I feel like if it had a bit more time in the oven and a better character artist for the portraits (tee hee), I think it would have easily stood side-by-side with Dawn and Order. The bonus modes are all mint, though!

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
It's probably the weakest of the three DS games, especially as it went so hard on the asset reuse throughout that it had a major impact on the whole game feeling fresh without really doing that much with the setting to make it stand apart from other castles, but there were three things that I think it did exceptionally well:

1. Insane build variety with all the subweapons and spells meant that you could experiment forever and still find unique setups to blow the game apart.

2. Charlotte and Jonathan are a really fun pair of protagonists with enjoyable banter that makes for a big departure from the normal cast dynamic that helps make the game stand out on that element alone, if nothing else.

3. The final boss fight, even as obvious as it was going to be based on how the game plays, is legitimately my favorite final boss fight in the entire series. Really fun patterns to learn and the whole concept is executed so well throughout.

I feel like if it had a bit more time in the oven and a better character artist for the portraits (tee hee), I think it would have easily stood side-by-side with Dawn and Order.
Agree with all of that, well put.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
It's not the best of the series or anything but it's really solid and I had a jolly good time with it.

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
It was a really fun game. I really liked the two character system. Swapping between the two protagonists and figuring out the best ways to use them at the same time was fun. It was a good twist on the formula.

The story was pretty shallow even by Castlevania standards and it needed more unique levels, but the gameplay was always fun.

It certainly had a great "I have to fight THAT?!" moment with the final boss though. That was a hectic fight.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
They should do a collection of Dawn, Portrait and Ecclesia.
I feel like all three of these games have kind of been forgotten.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Something about the Castle Entrance theme from Portrait of Ruin I really dig. It is a good game IMO.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I find it thoroughly middle of the road, compared to the other DS entries and Aria, it never quite pulls all the pieces together.
Gaining skills is grindier than most entries and I swear you just end up with less options, the dual characters concept feel half baked, and the maps are a bit ho-hum as well.
To follow up on that last point, the central castle is decent but obviously not on the level of a full game castle. The isolated portrait areas are a real mixed batch, the pyramids are quite novel with a suitable grid layout and lots of traps but then there's what I can only describe as "Blitzed circus in a world of nonsensical gravity" which involve symmetrical maps and a lot of jumpin' slimes that just doesn't hit the mark at all.
That all the portrait themes get duplicated also takes the shine off them.

On the whole, it's still Igavania so it's worth a play, soundtrack is tops as usual of course.

ProtomanNeo

Oct 27, 2017
It was enjoyable enough but marked IGA's downturn. In terms of my overall enjoyment with his Castlevania games.

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
It's my favorite IGAvania. The portraits were more interesting than many of Ecclesia's areas, many of which took place in linear, generic caverns and forests, only recolored, while it also did away with much of the grinding that plagued Dawn.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
The worst out of the GBA-DS games. Level design is nothing to write home about, having two characters kind of kills the progression of these games, and it's a very uneven and incohesive game in terms of artstyle and graphical detail.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's the weakest of the DS Castlevania games but still a damn good game in it's own right.

I enjoyed it enough to do a level 1 hard mode playthrough so that should say a lot.

Merton

Oct 25, 2017
I like Portrait of Ruin more than Ecclesia, but both games are alright. Not the best Igavanias, not the worst.

Ecclesia's starting difficulty is annoyingly high, which is the worst part. It takes a really long time before you can do good damage to enemies and not die SUPER fast.
That fuckin Crab Boss made me want to rage, I think I put it down and picked it up about 15 or so times before moving on to the rest of the game,

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
I consider it the weak link of the DS games but it's still entertaining.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
It's okay, I don't like how the portrait mechanic fragments the game world into multiple levels with singe entrances and exits, reducing exploration and interconnectivity.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
It's fine, just wasn't as good as the previous one (few are to be fair) so gets a bit of a bad rap.

My name is Jonathan and hearing it said constantly in a game was pretty cool. :P

Oct 25, 2017
I think it sucks that I've been on a massive Castlevania kick since season 4 ended (played 12 in the series to completion so far since then, and currently juggling my 13th-15th games simultaneously), and I have no chance to play Portrait or Ecclesia because they're stupid expensive on the second-hand market and I'm not convinced buying repo carts is a good idea. But at least I bought Dawn of Sorrow back in the day.

Anyway, it would be helpful if you all tried to convince me PoR and OoE are awful blemishes on Castlevania's legacy so I won't have to feel as bad.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OoE is the best DS Castlevania. PoR is absolutely serviceable, but it's hub-world design takes a little bit away from the feel of exploring an interconnected world.

Cabal

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I remember liking it, but it's been quite sometime since I've played it. They really need a collection of the DS games.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
I replayed it pretty recently. I still really like it. The soundtrack is one of the best in the franchise, the paintings give the levels a ton of visual variety, and I liked the dynamic between Jonathon and Charlotte. Also, the bonus Richiter/Maria mode is pretty great.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think this game is a lot of fun and gets shit on more than it deserves.

Great soundtrack for sure, and a lot of cool extra modes and stuff to do.

Rayasab

Banned
Apr 12, 2021
Was my least favorite of DS's trilogy, but I'll take any day over metroidvanias wannabe trash we're having nowadays.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
Ecclesia is really good, but honestly, I find it hard to come back to and replay. I would rather replay Aria or Dawn of Sorrow (especially Dawn's bonus modes).

Portrait I haven't played since it came out, so I should try that again.

Both are absolutely amazing to play for the first time. Great IgaVania games.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I put it off for a long while because the character switching and such made me think it wouldn't be too great.
I was wrong though, because I played through it maybe a year ago, and had a blast with it. It's very fun and the progression and pacing make it really addicting as well. It's an excellent game.

I need to give Eccelsia another try. With that one, it's weapon system that turns me off. Combat felt more tedious having to use 2 weapons and once and just quickly pressing both Y and B to fight.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
I liked it a lot, even if I didn't think it was quite as remarkable as Aria of Sorrow or Order of Ecclesia. Out of the DS trilogy, I'd say it was my second favorite.

anariel

Oct 27, 2017
CHARLOTTE!
JONATHAN!
CHARLOTTE!
JONATHAN!
Yep, that's forever ingrained in my head.

I think I had an alright time with it, for the most part. Not the best in the series but not the worst. I do still miss these games like crazy though. Even with the renaissance the genre's been seeing, I still find myself wishing there were more Igavanias. Bloodstained was pretty decent but still didn't hit the same.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
PoR isn't bad. It's actually really good. It's just that the 2nd half of the game is mostly made of reused and recolored background sprites from the 1st half of the game, and that's very disappointing. It has a great story tying into Bloodlines and you get to use a whip, which was refreshing at the time. Richter is in it too!

Last edited:

Spidervan

Jun 11, 2021
I like Portrait of Ruin more than Ecclesia, but both games are alright. Not the best Igavanias, not the worst.

Ecclesia's starting difficulty is annoyingly high, which is the worst part. It takes a really long time before you can do good damage to enemies and not die SUPER fast.
Ecclesia being difficult at the start was what I liked. For POR, its so so, I enjoyed it for what it was and I did like what they tried to do.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017

I feel like if it had a bit more time in the oven and a better character artist for the portraits (tee hee), I think it would have easily stood side-by-side with Dawn and Order. The bonus modes are all mint, though!
Great post, really good break down.

Impossible to disagree. It's easily the weakest of the DS titles but that doesn't make it a bad game on any level and I appreciated it's unique qualities quite a bit.

All handheld castlevanias for the GBA and DS are worth playing.
Yup, exactly. Everyone wants to drop a hot take and call one of them "bad"- Circle, Harmony and Portrait tend to catch the most flack but having replayed all six semi- recently?

All of them are great. All of them are worth playing.

KONAMI WE WANT A COLLECTION!!

GrahamGoring

Nov 8, 2017
Personally, I preferred the Igavanias when they were set in a single location rather than broken up. POR isn't too bad as they're pretty big chunks but I lost interest in OOE quite quickly.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Only played through it once when it first came out

I remember absolutely loving it.

I did use a lot of Charlotte in Harmony of Despair. Leveled her up pretty good.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Great OST (Dear Konami why is Crazed Moon the only track lacking on Spotify?), great atmosphere, nice level design. I played it a lot back then and though I feel it's worse than Aria of Sorrow it's still a must for Castlevania fans.
Anyway, you just reminded me I've never played Order of Eclessia!

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
As much as I love Dawn of Sorrow I think it's my favorite of the DS games. I thought the different portrait environments were really fun and novel, the characters great, and I never particular minded the asset reuse.

Zarzolaon

Mar 16, 2018
OH
I tried playing most of the game as Charlotte exclusively, and loved it. Although, not sure if I'd recommend that style (there's two characters for a reason), I simply wanted to take full advantage of there being a magic-focused protagonist for once.

That then led me to play Order of Ecclesia while mostly using her magic skills (which I also loved, and magic was faster).

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
It's nice. It's biggest problem is that it's usually compared to DoS and OoE which are incredible.

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's decent. Worth playing thru, even if it's not as good as Ecclesia. The music is def not as good in general, IMO, despite some ballin remixes and the gears go awry. Good final boss.

Tl;dr it's no sotn, aria or ecclesia, but it's good fun if you're an igavania fan

Lol, the Music is better than Ecclesia. On the other hand Ecclesia has only one fine song, the only game in the genre where the music is diff than most castlevania games. Music is all about how a good melody create emotions. However a melody can give you some kind of feeling, but that doesnt mean that the melody is good. I like all music of 2d castlevania games expect Ecclesia and that mercurysteam version on 3ds. I hope that someone from nintendo is doing the music for metroid dread

Verdict: the music of ecclesia is not memorable or good. But the game itself is better. Dawn of sorrow has the best music of all 3. (Not including the gba's ones for now) I'll give it another run to see if my oppionin changes on this.

Last edited:

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
I liked POR a lot. The time/locale hopping was cool, and Yuzo Kushiro wrote a few of the music tracks. I probably rate it above Ecclesia but below Dawn of Sorrow in the DS Igavania rankings.