• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
I'm on the first boss and its absolutely terrible. I simply cannot stomach 11 more bosses like this.

We get it Konami - you played Shadow of the Colossus. Well done. Have a fucking cookie.

I'm bored to my teeth of prescriptive, phased boss design like this.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
No, I don't think they ever do. The game is pretty one-note. It's always been a big sticking point with discussions on the game.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't get much further then that. I quit on the spider level which I think was immediately afterwards.

An impressively boring game.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
On the plus side, there really aren't that many "colossus" fights in LoS1. I think there's three total.

On the minus side, there really aren't that many good bosses in the game either.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
The bosses have? So they all suck?

That's a shame, I quite like the actual levels so far.
The encounters in general, but yes, the bosses. SOTC comparisons are a frequent talking point, so the fact that you picked up on it early is going to color your perception of the game for sure.

Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
Yes, they get better. The first few levels are dull as dirt, but it picks up once you start encountering the vampires. Overall it's my second favorite in the series, over everything except the original.

Oct 25, 2017
The SoTC bosses are truly awful but they are not what dominate my memories of the game. There are many other "normal" boss fights. And they aren't all great (or even good) but they're all better than the colossus fights.

Oct 25, 2017
Eh not really, the bosses are the weakest part of this game, but the finale is still pretty cool. I think the game is still worth playing through, it's unique enough.

But whatever you do DO NOT PLAY THE RESURRECTION DLC
THE FINAL BOSS OF RESURRECTION IS ONE OF THE MOST AWFUL ACTION GAME EXPERIENCES I'VE EVER HAD

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
Eh not really, the bosses are the weakest part of this game, but the finale is still pretty cool. I think the game is still worth playing through, it's unique enough.

But whatever you do DO NOT PLAY THE RESURRECTION DLC
THE FINAL BOSS OF RESURRECTION IS ONE OF THE MOST AWFUL ACTION GAME EXPERIENCES I'VE EVER HAD
Came here to say this. Played both dlcs for the first time about 2 months ago... and good lord the 2nd dlc's experience was just the worst thing ever! its not just the boss either, the entire dlc from the beginning just oozed pure bull shit!

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
The second level is the worst level in the game (and weirdly, the hardest), but after that it gets marginally better.

Also, there are very few colossus style fights in the game. Most of the bosses are fights against more reasonably sized monsters. I honestly thought some of the boss fights were decent, if not a bit hamstrung by the game's wooden mechanics. They often have little tricks you need to figure out and mesh with the basic combos and dodging.

It's not an amazing game, but it's got a real sense of "adventure" and journey, as you cover a lot of ground, face a lot of different enemies and have a decent variety of things to do (and surprisingly decent puzzles to figure out). It's a game that's more than the sum of its individual parts.

Oh, and some hilari-bad Picard voice over, wherein you can tell he's reading his lines for the first time and was like "One take! Only one take folks!"

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Bear in mind the game has a ton of variety, its a rather large game and there are new enemies, assets, upgrades, and combat maneuvers to weave in throughout its progression.

It has a slow start, but I found it a rather enjoyable character action game as it progressed and looked forward to seeing what each new level offered.

Deleted member 60582

Banned
Oct 12, 2019
Bear in mind the game has a ton of variety, its a rather large game and there are new enemies, assets, upgrades, and combat maneuvers to weave in throughout its progression.

It has a slow start, but I found it a rather enjoyable character action game as it progressed and looked forward to seeing what each new level offered.

Yep. I remember reaching a point about 15 or so hours in and being convinced I was nearing the end, but NOPE! Still had half a game left and a bunch of shit I hadn't seen.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
I thought the game sucked once I started playing it, and I agree that the first boss is absolutely terrible, a poor man's SotC.

However, LoS is a rare case where the game suddenly changes for the better. I couldn't believe how good it got after almost dropping it during the initial segments. It is one of my favorite games last gen and also one of my favorite Castlevania games (although quite different from the rest, more like a GoW with a Castlevania skin). Also, I remember enjoying most of the bosses after the ice titan. I really don't understand why they decided to start the game on such a low note...

Oct 27, 2017
I found the first colossus boss (an ice giant I think?) so frustrating I stopped playing there and never went back. Which is a bit of a shame as I liked some other aspects of it, but I found the design and controls really annoying and, for example, the jump button is changed to become a dash button which I couldn't get my head around.

Jan 11, 2018
I'm on the first boss and its absolutely terrible. I simply cannot stomach 11 more bosses like this.

We get it Konami - you played Shadow of the Colossus. Well done. Have a fucking cookie.

I'm bored to my teeth of prescriptive, phased boss design like this.

I don't remember the bosses being very goo at all. The game gets shat on a lot here, but Lords of Shadow 2 has EXCELLENT bosses.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
I'm playing it myself for the first time ever and its decent. I might like it more if I could control the camera, but overall its a decent enough game. I like the Castlevania lore so I'm gonna beat it and then play the sequel. Can't complain, got both for free through XBox Live.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
There's only one other imitation of the Colossus fight and it's right near the very end.
So yes the bosses get better, though they never get better than being simply decent enough as I recall.

OP
OP
daninthemix

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Thanks for the feedback everyone, I think I'll drop this. A couple of hours in and there's just way too many scripted sequences required to progress past doors.

Steal grenades from these goblins and throw them at door!
Beat this spider / warthog until you can ride it onward!

As with the first boss, I can tell the game is going to be extremely prescriptive which I absolutely hate.

Deleted member 60582

Banned
Oct 12, 2019
Thanks for the feedback everyone, I think I'll drop this. A couple of hours in and there's just way too many scripted sequences required to progress past doors.

As with the first boss, I can tell the game is going to be extremely prescriptive which I absolutely hate.

Again, the difference between the first 3 levels and the rest of the game is enormous. The first 3 levels are fucking painful.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force

I don't even understand why you'd try a game as divisive as LoS with how critical you seem to be. Long and linear was always a sticking point to lots of people.

but yes it's long - although compared to games this gen it probably isn't really any more - and more of what you won't like. while the formula continues to improve throughout the game quite a lot, it doesn't really change.

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
Just chiming in to say that there are only three colossus-like boss fights. The rest are different and back then I found them to be pretty good overall, so don't let a bad moment sour your experience for the rest of the game. Cornell and Carmilla were epic moments that I really enjoyed. There are plenty more good moments in the game as soon as the metroidvania skills get more interesting, particularly after beating these two main bosses.

Also, I must be the only one that enjoyed Resurrection's boss battle. I do remember it being frustratingly hard, but I expected it to be so since it's supposed to be more challenging than the base content. The second time I played the game, I changed to easy difficulty and it felt much better.

I don't remember the bosses being very goo at all. The game gets shat on a lot here, but Lords of Shadow 2 has EXCELLENT bosses.
Funny but true. There's plenty of bad things about LOS2 but the boss fights are actually good.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
There are some good ones, nothing transcendent but they get better.

It's got a pretty one-note first act sadly, since the second and third are better (for the most part).

Oct 25, 2017
Came here to say this. Played both dlcs for the first time about 2 months ago... and good lord the 2nd dlc's experience was just the worst thing ever! its not just the boss either, the entire dlc from the beginning just oozed pure bull shit!

God yeah the whole thing was awful but that boss man, the forgotten one is game ruining levels of bad. You put a fight like that in a video game and it automatically makes the entire experience worse.

Here is what I wrote about the boss fight back in 2014:

To start with, there is minimal indication that you're about to fight a boss, since there is no health fountain or magic fountain before you enter his room and the area right before it has you fighting like 3 or so fiery skeleton knights, which are pretty rough. So I basically walked into the boss room with half health and no light magic.

Well no problem I'll just build focus by dodging and counter attacking everything just like I've done for every other boss and gain some light magic to heal myself. EXCEPT NO THIS BOSS IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO GET A COMBO CHAIN OFF SINCE HIS WEAK SPOTS ALL REQUIRE YOU TO BE AIRBORNE TO HIT! Gabriel Belmont has almost no functional control in the air besides continuing to attack and a double jump, he has a ground slam attack but it has long wind up. To further compound this issue the bosses ground stomps hit you while you're airborne, and his recovery time between attacks is extremely quick. Essentially you're fighting a hyper aggressive monster who is only possible to hit when you're at your least mobile and most vulnerable since you can't block any of his attacks period, least of all while airborne. For nearly three hours I slaved away learning patterns.

It's a multi phase boss fight and each phase he gets faster and more aggressive, however thankfully there are check points. Which means I get to respawn with half my health each time I make it to the next phase, his attacks hit hard too so you'll probably die shortly after each check point. You can only take ~5 hits depending on what hits you before you have to reload.

Basically what makes this boss awful is that you don't have to apply ANY actual game knowledge to find a winning strategy, the focus regeneration system becomes useless because actually combing him is a waste of time and effort, you don't have the window to perform any good air combos and you cannot hit him with ground attacks period.

Secondly, your subweapons? All of them useless, knives don't track well enough to hit him, holy water is ground based damage, fairies do nothing, and the huge damage crystal doesn't hurt bosses.

Thirdly, his attacks aren't intuitive to dodge. All his ground stomp attacks hit you while in the air, and his dive bomb attack is only dodgable if you have a running start, so if you are mid attack or mid jump while he begins it you won't have enough time to active cyclone boots therefore you get hit.

Fourth, it is unusually and unnecessarily punishing. If you get caught mid air in a combo and he starts revving up either his spike thrust into the ground or and ground stomp attack you're hosed. Your best course of action is just own up to your mistake and keep combing as long as you can because even if you stop now you're still going to get hit. Some of his attacks are only avoidable if you're ready to dodge them 2 seconds before they start to happen.

I guess you could say that the boss is extremely demanding, which it is however it's not a fun challenge. You don't feel good when you finish it, because your strategy for beating this boss will actually just be you waiting for him to do his double sword attack so you can get 4-5 hits in, any more and then you get hit.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta be honest, combat, especially against bosses, weren't something I'd consider a good part of the LoS series (well, the first one, as I didn't care for Mirror of Fate and LoS2 AT ALL). I loved the story and the atmosphere of the locations. Any time NOT in combat, doing puzzles and taking in the locations... breathtaking.

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
God yeah the whole thing was awful but that boss man, the forgotten one is game ruining levels of bad. You put a fight like that in a video game and it automatically makes the entire experience worse.

Ya I gave up after 3 hours and just switched to easy 😭
Funny thing is that only a day ago, I had a similar experience with bound by flame.... such a great experience that was ruined by a boss that requires the most boring strategy whilst just requiring a large amount of mana and health potions. It ain't anywhere close to the forgotten one, but I still felt like I accomplished nothing after beating it (didn't drop the difficulty for this one).

Deleted member 60582

Banned
Oct 12, 2019

None of the DLC for this series was good. I was so hyped to play as you-know-who in the second game's DLC, and the wet fart we got was a major disappointment.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I quit after the first 30 mins, thought I did well lasting that long

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
None of the DLC for this series was good. I was so hyped to play as you-know-who in the second game's DLC, and the wet fart we got was a major disappointment.
How was the second game in general? Was it really as bad as people said it was? I know the forced stealth sections are pretty crap, but what about everything else?

Deleted member 60582

Banned
Oct 12, 2019
How was the second game in general? Was it really as bad as people said it was? I know the forced stealth sections are pretty crap, but what about everything else?

I liked certain aspects of it, but it never gets better than the opening sequence with the attack on Dracula's castle. The prospect of
Dracula in the modern day
was really interesting, but the execution was pretty lacking. It was badly paced due to the forced stealth sections, but I absolutely LOVE the story in 1, Mirror of Fate and 2, so seeing where everything ends up by the time the credits rolled made me power through it and I don't mind playing it at all. The strength of the story alone carried the game for me.

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
I liked certain aspects of it, but it never gets better than the opening sequence with the attack on Dracula's castle. The prospect of
Dracula in the modern day
was really interesting, but the execution was pretty lacking. It was badly paced due to the forced stealth sections, but I absolutely LOVE the story in 1, Mirror of Fate and 2, so seeing where everything ends up by the time the credits rolled made me power through it and I don't mind playing it at all. The strength of the story alone carried the game for me.
Fair. I guess I'll check it out at some point. Should I play mirror of fate prior or can I jump into it straight away?

Tarnpanzer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Also, I must be the only one that enjoyed Resurrection's boss battle. I do remember it being frustratingly hard, but I expected it to be so since it's supposed to be more challenging than the base content. The second time I played the game, I changed to easy difficulty and it felt much better.

I´m with u.

Can´t remember much about this game, but this bossfight was just awesome. Hard as hell, but never unfair. Its just a case of "git gud".

Deleted member 60582

Banned
Oct 12, 2019
Fair. I guess I'll check it out at some point. Should I play mirror of fate prior or can I jump into it straight away?

Up to you really, Mirror of Fate will tell the story bridging the two mainline entries, but you can read the wiki if you don't want to play through it. Entirely your call. It does contain a lot of references and characters from the classic series and how they fit into this new continuity, but its gameplay is a little rough. It's really all dependent on how much you care about experiencing the lore vs. simply reading it.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Play on easy until you get your major tools and combos, then crank it back up to hard.

I initially hated the game and put it down for years. I picked it up again in 2013 and did the above, ended up loving it and now it's the only platinum for an Action game that I got.

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
Up to you really, Mirror of Fate will tell the story bridging the two mainline entries, but you can read the wiki if you don't want to play through it. Entirely your call. It does contain a lot of references and characters from the classic series and how they fit into this new continuity, but its gameplay is a little rough. It's really all dependent on how much you care about experiencing the lore vs. simply reading it.
Cheers for the info! ☺️

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
I would say the whole game gets better towards the mid and end point, with bosses ramping up in design and scale. Getting access to the majority of your tool kit makes combat flow a lot better. But overall the game stays the same so if you're not having a good time you might be better off to end there since the gameplay design stays the same throughout

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
I'm not entirely sure why, but there was something magical about this game for me back when it was first released and I played it. Yeah, the opening levels were a drag, but once it moved past those, the game turned into an adventure story like I've almost never seen in action games before. I kind of loved the storytelling and the (over-the-top) places the story went, and I ended up really enjoying the combat. I don't remember many of the bosses today (it's been many years, after all), but I do remember a couple and that I found them incredibly satisfying in a way that has only been replicated by games like the Souls series since. Your mileage may vary, of course, and I'm sure plenty of people won't agree with me.

So I'd say push on. Once the game opens up, things get vastly more interesting. I really love this take on the Castlevania setting.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
Lords of Shadow 1 is very well done. It has great art direction and music. I enjoyed the combat and every non "climb on this" boss.

Lords of Shadow 2 is just a straight up trash fire. The director of the first game let its success go to his head, and then basically tuned out the rest of his creative team for the second game and made it entirely his vision. Numerous people quit the project during development because of this. Some really just outright baffling gameplay and narrative decisions were made. The best light I can put LOS2 in is that it is a few fun ideas scattered throughout an ocean of mediocrity.

Oct 28, 2017
There was a part I played many years ago where a werewolf jumps out of the bushes and I could never beat him. Wasn't very far in either from what I remember.

Siyou

Oct 27, 2017
So I 100%'d this game I will say, the best aspects are the art, the scenic levels, but the bosses were not my favorite of the game. The game has this way of being God of War, Shadow of the Colossus and overall just not really trying to be Castlevania in the slightest. There are some memorable fights, but they're few and far between. If anything, just talking about this game again makes me want to play it. I'd say keep trudging on?